• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bots in For Glory mode, or Just Really Bad Players?

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
K i eat my own words. i just had a game that was perfect go uber laggy for a moment, then my opponent started being...dumb...

He was a Shulk player that was constantly in the air and evading. After the lag spike, he started just walking towards me right into my Lucario's full charge blast SEVEN TIMES not even attempting to dodge it. Pretty sure he got swapped with a bot, makes no sense to go ~9 games of neck-to-neck fights to quit like that mid-fight lol

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
This should have been addressed and hopefully Nintendo isn't really trying to hide it. I want to play against people and people only. Maybe you're cat or dog, too... but never a bot. I've noticed odd behaviors myself, but I never wanted to believe.

One huge problem is I had terrible lag with somebody as if the game was playing at 1/8th the speed with occasional pauses. Literally took 1 full minute to drop 7 seconds of in-game time. The problem here is you can't press Start to pause and backout of the game because of the way 3ds' infrastructure is, unless you jam it and get lucky. I eventually pushed my Wi-Fi slider on the 3ds to disable it and once again to enable it. I of course was banned from playing online for 10 minutes, but what else was I supposed to do? I wonder.... if that person was playing a bot Sheik for 20 minutes, my bot won and if I get the points :p

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
Proof? You should probably read my post before commenting because I have some rather convincing evidence saying that they are.
That's not proof. So if I record people who don't act like that then I have proof?

This has never happened to me.

Last edited:

Green Spiny

Smash Cadet
Here's what happens. If you're in for Glory Mode and the opponent leaves, the game will try to match you up with a new partner. If it can't find one in time or the guy quits at the last second, though, you may end up fighting a bot. I've only had one experience like this, so I can't confirm. But it would explain what's going on.

This might exist to prevent someone from sitting in queue indefinitely if there's an online problem, without interrupting the sandbag lobby thing / imminent match.

Last edited:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I remember fighting once against a good Duck Hunt in For Glory. It was my first time ever facing a good Duck Hunt player... so I wasn't used to the matchup at all and I was definitely going to lose. I was getting camped hard but for one moment, the lag got a little bad. After it was over, his/her playstyle completely shifted for the worse.

It felt like fighting against a low-level CPU and I ended up winning a match that I probably wouldn't have had his/her playstyle been more consistent. This isn't the first time I've felt like my opponent had been replaced by a CPU.

Last edited:

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
Hmm this has happened to me once when I played Duck Hunt Dog against a Diddy Kong. I was trolling him/her hard using DHD so I assumed that he/she rage quitted the match (which I still think thats what happened).

Now that I see this, the rage quit from the other day might be just be a disconnect.

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
Proof? You should probably read my post before commenting because I have some rather convincing evidence saying that they are.
Last night I was having awesome battles against a guy, then I received a phone call and instead of rage quit I run out the stage and leave the room, It was my mother calling me to chat (I live on my own I felt disconecting or rage quit could be rude so I lost after all it's a game and my mother doesn't call me very often.

Leyo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Leyolith
3DS FC
3136-6661-4301
This has happened to me before. It was against a guy I was going against for a while. I took a while to select my character this time though and it appeared that the guy was still in the lobby so I thought nothing of it. Then when the match started his character was surely there but the actions were definitely like a bot. I took too long so he probably just left at the start of the match or something? Anyway it appears that if they disconnect or leave as you start the match, they get replaced by a bot but the character stays the same for the duration of the match.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
The **** you talking about? I don't see no damn result screen in this thread.
You want picture proof? Okay, here it is.

What it looks like in the replay menu: http://i.imgur.com/myO3L22.jpg
What it looks like during the match: http://i.imgur.com/3Cb0Vvq.jpg
What the results screen looks like: http://i.imgur.com/bnZWYhE.jpg
What it should look like while bots are playing: http://i.imgur.com/reBkmP3.jpg

Sorry for blur, but the important parts are visible.

Last edited:

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485

Interesting that it only shows him as a CPU on the results screen. It would have been even more interesting if his background changed from blue to gray mid-match signaling when he dropped out.
I' be very disappointed if this happened to me, as I only save replays of really good matches. Would be a shame if I only had a good game with a bot. :/

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
I haven't experienced this at all. I had the error code pop up a few times here and there, but I never faced a bot, all of them were real players ranging from decent to really good, and the occasional PK Fire spammer.

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku

Um... ONLY ONE of them shows CPU and online... Why did you even post the other ones? =/

But holy piece of banana peel on a roller coaster... You're right, bots are back. -.- Good thing it's never happened to me.
But don't assume that it's a bot every time you see someone play weird...

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Um... ONLY ONE of them shows CPU and online... Why did you even post the other ones? =/

But holy piece of banana peel on a roller coaster... You're right, bots are back. -.- Good thing it's never happened to me.
But don't assume that it's a bot every time you see someone play weird...
I posted the others to make the point perfectly clear, and to illustrate that the game is hiding the fact that you're facing a bot during the game. I also posted the first one to show that yes, this was For Glory, preemptively just in case anyone wanted to call shenanigans.

D

Deleted member

Why haven't these bots been banned for purposely SDing? :troll:

Aldri

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure, but this may have happened to me the other day. I was fighting someone who used Fox, and (s)he was kicking my butt for seven or eight straight games ( I beat them once, but it was tough). Then on the last game, I used Lucina and (s)he used Fox again...but it was a no contest. I destroyed them so quick it was ridiculous. There's just no way it was the same person. Either (s)he started going easy on me, gave the game to someone else, or it was a bot.

Last edited:

SSEddie13

Smash Cadet
NNID
sseddie13
3DS FC
5429-9107-2527
I got the Japanese game when it came out and I noticed this right away when I had a fight with GameXplain when they were streaming on twitch. I was able to watch my match on screen while i was playing them so I knew what went down. We played about 5 matches and everything was going good and I was beating them, but then on the last match I beat them just like before...but I noticed the twitch stream was going a bit different than the match that I had just played (twitch has about a 30 sec delay). They beat "me" on their end while I beat "them" on my end. So basically I figured out that before or during a match if there is a major hiccup in the internet connection then it will replace each player with a level 1(or3) computer. You can tell when it is about to do this because before it happens it will have the smash icon at the bottom of the screen loading for an unusually long time. I think this is just a system Nintendo implemented to make it appear that there are fewer dropped matches. I wish they would tell you it happens though..as it is misleading and makes you look bad cause the other player is fighting a low level computer and they think they are fighting a real person.

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
I wish I could unsee this thread lol now I suspect bot whenever a players skill suddenly vanishes or if they SD too easy from botched recovery. When in reality it is likely a control issue and the person yelling NNOOOOO at their 33DS

MechaWave

Smash Champion
@ the OP

That error message you see is normally generic that there is a problem with the matchmaking. You'll encounter it in any mode you choose. I have got it 3 times in a row, and played someone but they weren't a bot in any way. I got it in For Fun mode as well.

However, I can confirm that bots are in online. Usually, if a player disconnects, they are replaced by a bot, but if the game can't send data to you, you'll receive a "no contest" error instead. If you're playing someone laglessly but then the game suddenly stops and lags for about 8 seconds, and then plays laglessly again, you can bet the player disconnected and was replaced by a bot; the game was sending CPU data to you so you don't recieve a no contest error.

This happened to me before in For Glory when I faced a very good Sheik player who suddenly played differently and was very bad. There was no question that he was replaced by a bot.

Last edited:

Sir Bubbles

Smash Journeyman
I got the Japanese game when it came out and I noticed this right away when I had a fight with GameXplain when they were streaming on twitch. I was able to watch my match on screen while i was playing them so I knew what went down. We played about 5 matches and everything was going good and I was beating them, but then on the last match I beat them just like before...but I noticed the twitch stream was going a bit different than the match that I had just played (twitch has about a 30 sec delay). They beat "me" on their end while I beat "them" on my end. So basically I figured out that before or during a match if there is a major hiccup in the internet connection then it will replace each player with a level 1(or3) computer. You can tell when it is about to do this because before it happens it will have the smash icon at the bottom of the screen loading for an unusually long time. I think this is just a system Nintendo implemented to make it appear that there are fewer dropped matches. I wish they would tell you it happens though..as it is misleading and makes you look bad cause the other player is fighting a low level computer and they think they are fighting a real person.
I completely agree and is why I think that bots exist in this game.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Must be the Illuminati.

Ragemos

Smash Rookie
Wierd, hasn't happened to me yet. I'll keep an eye out. Friggin' wierd how they would turn into bots too.

Last edited:

Aldri

Smash Cadet
It happened to me again! I made sure to pay attention this time--I played against a super roll-spammy Marth (seriously, you have not seen roll spam until you've seen this Marth). I beat them pretty handily. Next game, they come in with Lucina, and suicide off the stage. I don't know why. I didn't see lag on my end. After they suicide, they wait, roll spam some more, and then lag hits for a good seven seconds or so. After that, no roll spam--they just walk into my attacks.

It didn't say COM after the win screen, though. But it was very odd, even weirder than my Fox match above.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
I kind of want to change the tag on my 3DS to Avery now...

Honestly though, this would be a lot more acceptable if Nintendo was a bit more transparent about it

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who's not actually bothered by bots replacing people that get disconnected?
The computers, barring some predictability and a few stupid moments, are generally tough opponents at lvl 9...

Anyways, I've run into a few matches where the lag was so bad that I would have mistaken MYSELF for a bot, if I could play against myself, because input lag screwed up my ability to play smoothly so badly.
So some of these instances of really pathetic bots might just be players suffering from lag so horrendous that it's screwing with their ability to control their characters properly...

Top Bottom