• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bots in For Glory mode, or Just Really Bad Players?

Sir Bubbles

Smash Journeyman
Lately while playing For Glory mode in the new Smash game, I have been having suspicions on whether I have been playing against CPU or an actual human being.

Now, while that may seem ludicrous considering that there is already a mode where you can play with just bots and only bots, but bear with me and you'll see what I'm talking about.

If you ever come by this message frequently:

Then this is going to be applying to you. Have you ever tried to play this game with a friend through WiFi and it doesn't work no matter how many times you try? This has something to do with your DMZ (demilitarized zone) of your router and other complicated stuff. This can actually be permanent (It is for me) due to a number of reasons. If you want to look into it more, look it up online.

Anyway, when you try any other mode (Let's say for instance, For Glory 1v1) It will display the message above multiple times before you'll actually find someone to play against. Why is that when you play in any other mode that you can play against others online, but not your friends?

If you happen to find somebody, check if they have generic names such as (Lakitu, Gear, Avery and so on). These generic names can indicate whether you're playing against a bot. I mean, who has a profile in their 3DS named Lakitu, a character from a Mario game?

You can check to see if you encounter the same name over and over again, like this one:

I have played against this name around 5 times, 3 times from just today! I doubt that it's a coincidence, especially with all the other evidence supporting that they're bots.

When playing against these bots, they'll have distinct patterns that make it obvious that you're not fighting a human being. I doubt that anybody actually plays this at such an incompetent level that they'll just stand around a spam the A button a couple times.

What's funny about this is before they start playing incompetently, the bots will actually play in a level where you can consider them trying. But even when they're trying, you can notice that they're bots because all of them have similar patterns of fighting you (For Example: When the battle starts, they stand at starting point for 3-10 seconds, they fail there recoveries every time they attempt to get back on stage.)

These are a few example videos, the first one is from the mentioned "Avery" who seemed to be playing just fine until she picked Megaman. I'm Doctor Mario in this one:

And this one from another bot. I was playing as Pacman

After I recorded these videos, I really couldn't think if another reason why these aren't bots. The generic names, fighting patterns, it all builds up.

Since I'm honestly clueless at this point, what are your opinions on this topic? Is it merely just coincidence, or have any of you had this happen to you? I'm very curious and I just don't understand the logic in bots in an online mode.

EDIT:

Since some people still don't get the point of this post, I'm going to elaborate. I didn't feel like I needed to when I first posted.

My suspicions first came from the 3DS game, Kid Icarus Uprising and Mario Kart 7. When I tried to play Mario Kart 7, the online did not work at all. But when I played Kid Icarus Uprising, a game made by Based Sakurai himself, it was working the same way it seems to be working in Smash.

The message displays, generic names, bot like gameplay, the entire package. I had big suspicions when playing this game online, but never really felt like it was crucial. It was until I got this game on release date, it was then I realized that I'm playing against bots.

That should clear things up if it hasn't already. If it still doesn't clear things up then I'll just keep researching about it.

Last edited:

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
I've had something similar happen to me. However, what I experienced was players whom I had been going toe-to-toe with suddenly play a match with similar behavior to the computers that you faced. The first time I thought it was a random issue, but after it happened again, I tested it by just walking up to the Charizard and waiting for it to attack. It still was fighting, but definitely not with the same fervor as before. I think you could be on to something though.

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
That is quite odd. Is it the same as brawl as when someone would quit mid-match, they'd be replaced with a cpu? Or do you just disconnect?

If it is a bot, then that's just really strange.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Oh its not mid-fight i can attend to that one. Ive had many For Glory games straight up kick us out of the game because my opponent lagged out (things running on my computer never hiccuped so i know it wasnt me).
However i wouldnt doubt if theres computers added to the mix in case the queue was small. Ive had several fights that remind me of facing Lv9 computers in brawl, which i did more of that than i'd like to admit (i used to face 1v3 lv9 computers....lol). On the same note, dumb players. Little Mac + Dash = LOL

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
If you disconnect with someone due to bad connection a not will take over. (But only sometimes idk why)

So that means if you are experiencing this really often you need better internet.

Last edited:

Dimpus

Smash Rookie
Funnily enough this actually happened to me today and I fought the same bot you used as an example "Avery". I connected to a game with Avery and we played a match and then they proceeded to leave after one match. I then immediately get qued up with another Avery. I thought it was odd that I would somehow manage to que up with the same guy twice. Also I do get that error message often. Usually I just keep retrying until it works.

DragsawDragon

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrL500
3DS FC
2277-6720-4241
I've experienced the same thing a few times. The weird part for me is that I've been repeatedly fighting one person, and then all of the sudden they start performing with bot-like behavior (this is always at the start of a new match).

Sir Bubbles

Smash Journeyman
The problem is, this doesn't happen mid-match. This happens when the fight between an opponent just starts. After the fight, they don't disconnect, they keep on fighting you.

Sir Bubbles

Smash Journeyman
If you disconnect with someone due to bad connection a not will take over. (But only sometimes idk why)

So that means if you are experiencing this really often you need better internet.
My internet is fine. Games on different platfotms (PC, Wii U, Xbox 360) work fine without a problem.

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
I faced a guy earlier today named Mace that chose Little Mac, and I could have sworn it wasn't a human. Either that, or it was his very first Smash battle, which is unlikely. Mace sounds kinda generic, too.

Spirst

I just had a bot-like experience a minute ago. I was in the midst of a really fast paced set between Greninja and Sheik and then there was a point at which the game froze and the smash loading emblem appeared. After that, the Sheik player wasn't playing at all like before and was resorting to very stationary bot-like behavior. Afterwards, as I had suspected, the player was nowhere to be seen.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
This thread is really creepin' me out and makin' me feel uneasy and worried.

Thanks, guys. :(

Cho

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-2392-8423
That Sheik - Albi - was me, Spirst :)
I experienced the same by the way... lag, and suddenly, "you" played like a bot

Spirst

Really? That's amazing I actually found you. Those were really fun, think-on-your-feet games. Your Sheik definitely kept me thinking quickly. The bot behavior is interesting. It makes sense though from a continuity standpoint.

Need your FC.

Last edited:

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
I just had a bot-like experience a minute ago. I was in the midst of a really fast paced set between Greninja and Sheik and then there was a point at which the game froze and the smash loading emblem appeared. After that, the Sheik player wasn't playing at all like before and was resorting to very stationary bot-like behavior. Afterwards, as I had suspected, the player was nowhere to be seen.
Hang on...so that means whenever someone disconnects they get replaced with a bot. The problem is that opponents feel like CPUs right from the start of the match. I'm worried that either the game is pretending it's multiplayer and using bots, or everybody is disconnecting just as the fight starts due to some code mess-up with the multiplayer connection and therefore getting replaced by a CPU. Some of my opponents really do feel like bots, because they do predictable things. Other times, it feels like I'm fighting a human. I'm confused and concerned for the legitimacy of Online Smash now :(.

Cho

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-2392-8423
Wow, I thought I played like a scrub- never had the chance to play good players before smash4... - 0018-2392-8423

On-topic: did you receive any disconnect penalty? I did not :o

Spirst

Hang on...so that means whenever someone disconnects they get replaced with a bot. The problem is that opponents feel like CPUs right from the start of the match. I'm worried that either the game is pretending it's multiplayer and using bots, or everybody is disconnecting just as the fight starts due to some code mess-up with the multiplayer connection and therefore getting replaced by a CPU. Some of my opponents really do feel like bots, because they do predictable things. Other times, it feels like I'm fighting a human. I'm confused and concerned for the legitimacy of Online Smash now :(.
You know, I've been wondering about all this since Brawl. I get the feeling that some of my opponents are bots right off the bat as well. That, or atrocious/new players. It's not unheard of for those kind of players to be predictable.

Wow, I thought I played like a scrub- never had the chance to play good players before smash4... - 0018-2392-8423

On-topic: did you receive any disconnect penalty? I did not :o
Huh. I think you played alright, considering you just said that. We're getting off-topic here though.

Nope, never got any disconnect penalty.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
(things running on my computer never hiccuped so i know it wasnt me).
That doesn't mean it wasn't your connection ****ing up the match. Just saying.

Yeah, this thread is weirding me out too and I don't even know exactly why.

infersaime

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't be suprised if they replace your opponent with a bot mid-match after a disconnection, that's what they do in MK8 iirc. But at the start that's quite weird I guess you would have disconnected during loading?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am worried too. What if my almost lag free For Fun matches are filled with bots? Ugh, that would be disappointing.
What we should really do is post any names that often come up. I know Dan and Avery come up often.
Great idea. I have fought a ANTYX a couple times in For Fun.

Last edited:

SuperBottle

Smash Cadet
NNID
El Toro
3DS FC
4356-0343-9127
I almost distinctly remember fighting an Avery a couple times. A Dan pops in and out of there sometimes too. Now I'm wondering who I actually fought, versus this theory. It sounds like it's very plausible at least. I know the disconnect to bot one has to be true. It's happened to me a couple of times. As for not being able to play with friends vs randoms, that happens a lot when you have nat problems. Or at least, it does in other games. I have problems connecting to my friends playing ps3 games, but am fine connecting with randoms all the time. So you could still be playing humans and bots at the same time.

What we should really do is post any names that often come up. I know Dan and Avery come up often.

Last edited:

Terramorphic

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3625-8838-7933
I had this guy who spammed up B with kirby and other stuff, the next round literally all he did was walk towards me and eat sheik needles until I killed him.

mangamusicfan

Dark lord
NNID
mangamusicfan
3DS FC
1891-2073-5876
I faced an avery a couple of times also.
When it happens next time im going to film it

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
When someone left my game mid-match, they turned into a training CPU (come back on the ledge but didn't attack).

I guess if they do this the whole match, they got disconnected while the game was starting.

alanswindoll

Smash Cadet
When someone left my game mid-match, they turned into a training CPU (come back on the ledge but didn't attack).

I guess if they do this the whole match, they got disconnected while the game was starting.
Correct. They don't match you with bots but if someone disconnects (either through poor connection or through intentional quitting) then they replace the disconnected player with a bot. This disconnection can happen during the match or as the match is loading. These wins versus the bots count as For Glory victories, the same as if you were playing a human.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yes, I've experienced this. Typically I'm playing a match fine (maybe several with the same opponent), then it freeze-lags for about 5-10s. Then I know when it starts again (smoothly, no lag), they're acting exactly like the CPUs described in the OP. It's pretty obvious they've been replaced by a CPU brain. As soon as the match is done, they are gone from the room. So it must be my opponent disconnecting (or rage-quitting lol).

I've also seen the "generic, assumed to be a bot" suspicious player names. Sometimes they are clearly bots. Sometimes I've mis-guessed someone's name though :)

Turing Test for smash bros lol

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
I've faced Avery a few times, as well as Mace. I don't really notice this, most of the time the enemy fights to their last breath. Although I did find it a bit odd when I was fighting a Pac-Man, he spammed overB the first half of the fight, after I killed him he maybe used it once afterward. It not that the tactic wasn't working, either - he killed me before I dropped him.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I definitely had "Gear" in a for-glory teams match. It's harder to tell in that circumstance if it's a bot or just someone really bad lol.

Beanpaul

Smash Rookie
Well Nintendo did say that they did this for Mariokart WIi where they would replace a disconnected player with a bot. So, it does seem plausible that they applied the same for Smash 4. It would make sense to do this for 4 player games in order to maintain the flow of the game. However, implementing this to a 1v1 game would really suck out the fun when you can clearly spot bot-like behavior. I would rather be kicked out of the game than be cheated into thinking that I'm fighting an actual person.

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Okay, so for personal training purposes I tend to save replays of my matches.

I had this one match with a particularly derpy Little Mac. He started out strong but then he kinda lost it somewhere along the ways. The game ended with him hilariously SDing off the side of the stage.

When I looked at the results screen of the replay, it said that the Little Mac I was facing was a COM, instead of saying "Player 2" like it should have. I wish I could remember which replay it was so I could tell you what his name was.

EDIT: Found it. Actually I got confused on which Little Mac it was (I've faced quite a few). This one was a bot named Oskar, and it very clearly lists him as COM in the replay.

EDIT2: Someone mentioned the name Dan earlier. I have also found a replay of a Pac-Man named Dan. Unlike Oskar this one was not listed as a COM. I'm not sure what that means, if anything.

Last edited:

Sir Bubbles

Smash Journeyman
What's the oddest thing about this is that sometimes when you find somebody to play, it's immediately a bot. These people aren't disconnecting and getting replaced by bots, people.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290

Five Nights at Sakurai's. Where everyone in For Glory is a bot.

But in reply to this thread. I fought a WFT earlier who was completely fine, then randomly walked right off the stage. Why, I have no idea. I also fought a Lucina who was actually difficult in the first match (Actually lost to it) then was absolutely pathetic in the next one, I think I took only 20% or so in that.

Beastferu

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendaryPhrax
3DS FC
3351-4134-0653
Weird. I just finished a "battle" with someone named André who played ZSS and after a few seconds of standing still, just ran to the edge and kept holding on the ledge. I kept dashing around to see what he was playing at, but he just... dropped off the edge, then stood there after respawning, and did the same on the opposite side of the map.

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
*facepalm* It's not bots. It's just kids or people messing around or going to the toilet or getting a phone call or whatever...

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I don't I ever experienced this... Yet...
But ironically I did think that this could happen the other day. :p

Top Bottom