• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bosses in Smash Switch?

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
I kind of want Giygas as a boss. He would actually be the stage itself and you'll have to fight it. I'm not sure how he would attack though. Its kind of hard to understand.
Me too, i want him as the Final Boss of the Story/Adventure mode for this game. On the first phase you could fight him in the Devil's machine with the eye being the weak spot and on the second phase he would drag you to his dimension (him being the stage) where he would constantly attack you with his incomprehensible attacks and to defeat him you would need to defeat a certain amount of enemies or weak spots that Sakurai can invent (although we know that the real way is to get a little bit religious).
You could also imagine a scenario where we fight against porky in his Mother 2 mecha suit in Giygas' dimension as a stage to bring back old memories

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You just have to say that Master Core is Giygas and make it so he's full of red mist instead of weird bugs.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
If minecraft gets a stage, and master chief gets in over banjo. Then for the “Microsoft” boss I suggest...

The great mighty poo

Last edited:

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Adventure mode boss ideas

Luigi’s Mansion Stage -King Boo
Mega Man Stage -Dr. Wily
Zelda Stage -Yuga
Mario Stage -The Brootals
Sonic Stage -Dr. Eggman
Kirby Stage -Marx or Dark Matter
Splatoon Stage -DJ Octavio
Metroid Stage -Kraid
Mother Stage -Porkey
Kid Icarus Stage -Medusa
DK Stage -Main Boss from Tropical Freeze
Yoshis Island Stage -Kamek
Star Fox Stage -Andross or Pigma
Mario RPG Stage -Booster

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
So they are still adding boss like stage hazards. So I'm hoping they will have a mode that revolves around fighting the bosses.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Actually, the Dracula and Rathalos fights both take place on stages that haven't shown up on Stage selection. They're also both flat with no edges, that suggest that they aren't real stages, but boss-specific stages like you'd see in a Story Mode.

Seems pretty clear that the boss fights are returning to the story mode ala subspace emissary.

I was really hoping that bosses would get added to Classic mode, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Still holding out hope that maybe we'll get a boss rush mode after you finish story mode.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Actually, the Dracula and Rathalos fights both take place on stages that haven't shown up on Stage selection. They're also both flat with no edges, that suggest that they aren't real stages, but boss-specific stages like you'd see in a Story Mode.

Seems pretty clear that the boss fights are returning to the story mode ala subspace emissary.

I was really hoping that bosses would get added to Classic mode, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Still holding out hope that maybe we'll get a boss rush mode after you finish story mode.
They might have a boss mode in Classic. Kind of like how you had to fight Metal Mario in 64. It does look like they're bringing back boss mode. I just hope that you can select which boss to fight.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
If there is new bosses added to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate either in a Story-Mode or Boss Battle (It's almost confirmed that one of those two will be implanted within the game, if you look at all the evidences in the Direct, cf: specific threadS on Smashboards), I'd go for :

Super Smash Bros. Universe:
  • Master-Hand & Crazy-Hand + Master-Core (from Super Smash Bros. 4)
  • Tabuu (from Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
  • Duon (from Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
  • Metal Mario & Luigi (from Super Smash Bros. Melee)
  • Giga Bowser (from Super Smash Bros. Melee)

Metroid Universe: There are a lot of possibilities even without Ridley (since he is playable now) or Mother Brain (Assist Trophy).

• Kraid (from Super Metroid)
  • Phantoon (from Super Metroid)
  • Draygon (from Super Metroid)

There are a lot of other bosses that I love in the series but I can't see them in Smash (Queen Metroid, Metroid Prime (its Dark Samus so kind of redundant),

Megaman II (Yeah, I didn't played the other games, except the third one):

I can easily see Dr.Wily (final form) as a boss. If there is a story mode, it MUST have that small stage just before you reach the boss. Also, that'd be cool to have some Megaman 2 stage in that said story-mode.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Here's a list of all the bosses I'd like to see in Classic/Story mode:
Petey Piranha [Mario Bros.]
Giga Bowser [Mario Bros.]
Ganon [Legend of Zelda]
Mother Brain [Metroid]
Nightmare [Kirby]
Andross(N64 version) [Star Fox]
Rayquaza [Pokemon]
Porky [Earthbound]
Medusa [Kid Icarus]
Metal Gear Rex [Metal Gear]
Death Egg Robot [Sonic the Hedgehog]
Yellow Devil [Mega Man]
Wily Machine [Mega Man]
Metal Face [Xenoblade Chronicles]
Ultima Weapon [Final Fantasy]
Dracula [Castlevania]
Rathalos [Monster Hunter]

I really hope those dumb Subspace Emissary OC bosses don't return.

Last edited:

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Here's a list of all the bosses I'd like to see in Classic/Story mode:
Petey Piranha [Mario Bros.]
Giga Bowser [Mario Bros.]
Ganon [Legend of Zelda]
Mother Brain [Metroid]
Nightmare [Kirby]
Andross(N64 version) [Star Fox]
Rayquaza [Pokemon]
Porky [Earthbound]
Medusa [Kid Icarus]
Metal Gear Rex [Metal Gear]
Death Egg Robot [Sonic the Hedgehog]
Yellow Devil [Mega Man]
Wily Machine [Mega Man]
Metal Face [Xenoblade Chronicles]
Ultima Weapon [Final Fantasy]
Dracula [Castlevania]
Rathalos [Monster Hunter]

I really hope those dumb Subspace Emissary OC bosses don't return.
Though Giga Bowser is based on Bowser, he is exclusive to the Smash Bros. Universe and not Mario Bros. Also, Tabuu/Duon were pretty cool, why are you calling them dumb?

Some of boss you listed are good enough to stay at stage bosses (Yellow Devil, Metal Face), but I follow you with that Wily Machine, Porky and Rathalos !

Iridium

Smash Hero
Oh man, can you imagine an adventure mode where you get to hit major recurring bosses from each series?

Possibles...
:ultmario:: Wart, Tatanga, Petey Piranha, King Boo, King Bob-omb, Whomp King, Madame Broode
:ultdk:: Master Necky, Really Gnawty, Kudgel, KAOS, Army Dillo, Dogadon, Mad Jack (Ooh, I hated that thing)
:ultlink:: King Dodongo, Manhandla, Gohma, Argorok, Molgera
:ultsamus:: Mother Brain, Kraid
...and so on.
Bongo Bongo would be hilarious for TLOZ, honestly. Volvagia could work, although I would probably cry.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Also, Tabuu/Duon were pretty cool, why are you calling them dumb?
Because creating new characters for Smash Bros. is counter to the entire point of Smash Bros. and thus...dumb.

Stupid OC bosses have no place taking up space where 100 awesome bosses from other games could be in that spot instead.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Because creating new characters for Smash Bros. is counter to the entire point of Smash Bros. and thus...dumb.

Stupid OC bosses have no place taking up space where 100 awesome bosses from other games could be in that spot instead.
That's not because that is a cross-over game that it shouldn't have original contents. Otherwise, we shouldn't have every mechanics unique to the game, mini-games, etc since this is original mechanics. Those "stupid bosses" are way cooler than most of the boss you've listed. Seriously, Master Hand, Crazy-Hand, Giga Bowser, Tabuu are as awesome too. Not noticing this IS stupid.

Greek Gamer

Smash Rookie
Me too, i want him as the Final Boss of the Story/Adventure mode for this game. On the first phase you could fight him in the Devil's machine with the eye being the weak spot and on the second phase he would drag you to his dimension (him being the stage) where he would constantly attack you with his incomprehensible attacks and to defeat him you would need to defeat a certain amount of enemies or weak spots that Sakurai can invent (although we know that the real way is to get a little bit religious).

You could also imagine a scenario where we fight against porky in his Mother 2 mecha suit in Giygas' dimension as a stage to bring back old memories
For porky, depending on difficulty, youd have to fight... MASKED MAN ( in dramatic voice )

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
That's not because that is a cross-over game that it shouldn't have original contents.
Yes it is.
Otherwise, we shouldn't have every mechanics unique to the game, mini-games, etc since this is original mechanics.
Characters and mechanics are not even a remotely applicable comparison.
Seriously, Master Hand, Crazy-Hand, Giga Bowser, Tabuu are as awesome too. Not noticing this IS stupid.
Just because you beef up Bowser doesn't make him NOT Bowser anymore. It's still the same character. Master Hand and his derivative elements(Crazy, Core, etc.) get a pass for being part of the framework of the original game.

Tabuu, Duon and Galleom are dumb. as. ****.

Last edited:

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Yes it is.
Characters and mechanics are not even a remotely applicable comparison.
Just because you beef up Bowser doesn't make him NOT Bowser anymore. It's still the same character. Master Hand and his derivative elements(Crazy, Core, etc.) get a pass for being part of the framework of the original game.

Tabuu, Duon and Galleom are dumb. as. ****.
I'm not saying it's not Bowser but just that this isn't the same universe, it's not hard to understand. But I'm not going to debate about how you see things. You are free to believe in anything you want, even if that's stupid.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
So lets look at what bosses that they have shown.

Metal Face (Xenoblade Chronicles)
Yellow Devil (Megaman)
Dark Emperor (Find Mii)
Dracula (Castlevania)
Rathalos (Monster Hunter)

They'll probably bring back Master Hand and Crazy hand but they haven't shown them yet.

Returning Bosses I would like
Master Hand/Crazy Hand and Master Core
Giga Bowser
Pete Pirahana
Rayquaza
Porky Minch
Tabuu (For the sake of all final bosses together)

Possible New Bosses I would like to see
Omega Ridley (to replace Ridley and Meta Ridley)
Ganon or Gohma (Legend of Zelda)
Medusa (Kid Icarus)
Dark Matter (Kirby)
Andross 64 or Pigma (Starfox)
DJ Octavio (Splatoon)
King Boo (Luigi's Mansion)
The Power Glove (Nintendo)
Giant Sakurai Mii

This doesn't count other bosses like giant and metal characters.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Possible New Bosses I would like to see
Omega Ridley (to replace Ridley and Meta Ridley)
Ganon or Gohma (Legend of Zelda)
Medusa (Kid Icarus)
Dark Matter (Kirby)
Andross 64 or Pigma (Starfox)
DJ Octavio (Splatoon)
King Boo (Luigi's Mansion)
The Power Glove (Nintendo)
Giant Sakurai Mii

This doesn't count other bosses like giant and metal characters.
I feel like adding any version of Ridley would be irrelevant since he is now playable. But Giant Sakurai Mii.... I'd love to see him added to the Boss battle mode with a low % chance of appearing. Just so one day he shows up out of nowhere haha!

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I feel like adding any version of Ridley would be irrelevant since he is now playable. But Giant Sakurai Mii.... I'd love to see him added to the Boss battle mode with a low % chance of appearing. Just so one day he shows up out of nowhere haha!
Omega Ridley would basically be Ridley's version of Giga Bowser.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Omega Ridley would basically be Ridley's version of Giga Bowser.
Omega Ridley can't be part of the game since this is still Ridley, he can only be an alternate costume. Though, Neo-Ridley is the only form that could be added to the game. Ridley has several forms through the series, here is a list of his appearance throughout the franchise :
  1. Metroid & Metroid: Zero Mission : Ridley in his classic form is defeated by Samus Aran (this is the Ridley that is playable). At the end of the game, Samus will fight against Mecha-Ridley which is another character. It's a complex weapon designed after Ridley (note that this isn't Meta-Ridley). One of his alternate costume during the E3 is a reference to Mecha-Ridley. But the E3 didn't features Meta Ridley costume so it might be changed and he could appears as a boss.
  2. Metroid Prime 1 : After being defeated in the depths of Norfair, he was "resuscitated" by conversion into a cyborg. That said, Ridley returns as Meta-Ridley and it's still the same character (confirmed alternate costume of Ridley).
  3. Metroid Prime 3 : Despite his fall, Meta Ridley somehow survived and returned to the Space Pirates yet again where he was exposed to the present Leviathan's Phazon Core. The process energized him to a new combat threat level, this is Omega Ridley but this is still the same character. Omega Ridley can only be an alternate costume of Ridley and won't appears as a boss.
  4. Metroid II: Samus Returns : As suspected, Ridley had indeed fled the Leviathan, having survived his crushing defeat as Omega Ridley. He had presumably also managed to regenerate to the extent of shedding roughly half of his cybernetic implants, now taking the name of "Proteus Ridley". This is still the same character so irrelevant as a separate character (boss) once again.
  5. Super Metroid : After escaping SR388 completely unnoticed and shedding all of his remaining cybernetics in the previous game, Ridley is fully regenerated and is back to his initial form of Metroid. This is in that game that Ridley finally dies.
  6. Metroid: Other M : Samus had come back with remnants of the Metroids and Ridley stuck to her Power Suit. These were extracted from her and brought to a supposedly derelict facility where a small group, "The Ringleaders", used the particles to clone Metroids after abandoning a special-forces unit project using captured bioforms. Ridley was unintentionally cloned by the Lab Workers of the ship. While this is technically another character, he shares the same properties as Ridley so Ridley clone is irrelevant as a separate boss too.
  7. Metroid Fusion : Samus faces aboard the Biologic Space Laboratories research station where she sees the frozen corpse of Ridley's clone. In this game, the main enemies are X-Parasite mimicking other organisms. The X-Parasite fusion with the frozen corpse of Ridley's clone to create Neo-Ridley. This version of Ridley isn't the same characters and is different to all the previous iterations, making him the only possible version of Ridley to appear as a boss (as well as Mecha-Ridley if it is removed from his alternate costume).
This is how Neo-Ridley looks like by the way :

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If they made Giga Bowser a boss in the Story mode, they could easily make a version of Ridley to be a boss if they wanted to.

That said, I'd really prefer if Mother Brain, especially her Super Metroid form, was the Metroid Boss instead(assuming there can only be one).

You know, I never really got the hate for any of the Brawl OCs. Yes, they are OCs in a gaming crossover.... But why's that a big deal? Smash isn't just a bunch of gaming icons punching the **** out of each other, it's also meant as it's own thing. All the hints at lore hidden off in the series and the fact that they took the time to flesh out the enviroment that Smash Bros takes place in during the Subspace Emissary lends credence to this. Besides, it would get old quicker for me if everything was exactly the same as the source material. Sides, I love 'em. Duon and Galleom look good and I have fun playing against them, and Tabuu is just straight up one of my favorite Nintendo villians ever due to his menacing, badass design, incredible power (seriously, this guy knocked out almost everyone in the game with ONE MOVE), and his aura of mystery/hidden off backstory. I think a lot of the hate against the OCs could have been avoided if, say, there was more dialouge, or more focus on revealing the backstory of the Smash world.

That being said, though, I'd also love plenty of bosses from the series represented too. This is what I've got at the moment (discounting already confirmed bosses, like Dracula):

• Petey Piranha (Mario universe, returning from Subspace Emissary)
  • Kamek (Yoshi universe; commands a flying fortress, something like his boss fight in Super Mario Boss Remix)
  • Lord Fredrik (Donkey Kong universe)
  • Calamity Ganon (Legend of Zelda universe)
  • Mother Brain (Metroid universe; yes, I know she's already an assist)
  • Porky (Earthbound universe, returning from Subspace Emissary)
  • Marx (Kirby universe)
  • Liquid Snake in Metal Gear REX (Metal Gear universe)
  • Dr Eggman (Sonic universe)
  • Dr. Wily in the Wily Capsule (Mega Man universe)
  • Hades (Kid Icarus universe; this is mostly so he can make comments about all the Smash fighters)
Returning Subspace exclusive bosses
  • Duon
  • Galleom

That's LITERALLY how the E3 trailer describes the series.
.....Okay, I kinda phrased myself wrong. I was referring more to Subspace than the rest of the game. All I'm sayin' is that since the subspace focused more on fleshing out the Smash World, a few OC bosses are no skin off my bones, and if anything, it helped shake up my experience a tiny bit. Hell, the OC bosses make up the minority of the bosses in the Subspace Emissary (out of the 8 bosses, only 3 are OCs), so the complaints have always felt overblown to me.

Yes, the crossover aspect is the biggest draw of the Smash games, and I agree the bosses should primarily be characters from the series represented (hence my list of suggested bosses from the franchises in Smash), but I don't see any harm in creating a few original characters to create interesting boss fights against. Like, say, if he wants a certain type of boss battle and he doesn't feel like he could make that type of battle using a character from the represented series, then why shouldn't he create a character of his own to fit that criteria? That's always what Duon and Galleom felt like to me, characters created for the sake of an interesting boss fight. Like I said, even with the crossover aspect, Smash is still it's own universe, it's own world, and I see no harm in fleshing out it's environment.

I don't care about whether a boss is a Smash OC or not, as long as it's fun, looks cool, and/or is fun to fight against.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Yeah, but what if, instead of a couple dumb made-up giant robots, those two fights had been, like, Metal Gear Rex and Death Egg Robot instead? Driven by Liquid and Eggman.

And what if Tabuu was just Giygas...

...the final boss should always be Giygas...

...always...Giygas........

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
The final boss should always be a OC since the game is Smash Bros. If they don't, there will always be people to whine about why they didn't put "this boss from that serie" instead. Like you're doing. If Smash Bros. didn't created his own contents, we would get a bland game that just make fighters fight each other and that's all. If that was the case, I don't think that Smash would have that much opus.

I agree that there are a lot of boss that are awesome, like Giygas (seriously, one of my favorite all time boss), but I can't take you seriously when you're saying that Tabuu is dumb. This just reinforces the idea that Super Smash Bros. needs to add more background to their games. Yes Super Smash Bros. is a crossover game, that's why it needs something that binds all those universe together.

That said, that would be cool to have at least one boss from every-franchise in addition to original characters (though I don't see Tabuu, Galleom and Duon returns because they are dead in the story).

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The final boss should always be a OC since the game is Smash Bros. If they don't, there will always be people to whine about why they didn't put "this boss from that serie" instead. Like you're doing. If Smash Bros. didn't created his own contents, we would get a bland game that just make fighters fight each other and that's all. If that was the case, I don't think that Smash would have that much opus.
This is absolute nonsense.

Let's see...which Marvel Vs. Capcom bosses were people the most hyped about...Apocalypse? Onslaught? Galactus? Or...Abyss. Yeah, no, THAT'S the one everyone remembers.

Tabuu, just like Abyss, is absolutely the most pointless, because the game itself gives that character ZERO characterization. And because he's not from another series where he already had characterization, he ends up with...zero characterization.

Subspace Emissary was way more interesting when it seemed like Ganondorf was the main villain, before they introduced some bland reject from the fighting polygon team.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
So far we have
- Yellow Devil
- Metal Face
- Rathalos
- Dracula

Some possible ones:
- Normal-sized Ridley
- Akuma
- M. Bison
- Rodin (Bayonetta)
- Jeanne
- Dry Bowser
- Petey Pirhana
- King Boo
- Skull Kid
- Sephiroth
- Andross
- Dr. Wily
- Dr. Robotnik
- Mr. Dream
- Bald Bull
- Black Knight (Fire Emblem)
- Hades (Kid Icarus)
- Medusa
- Emperor Bulbax (Pikmin)
- Black Shadow (F-Zero)
- Nightmare (Kirby)
- Marx
- Porky
- Tabuu

I'm probably forgetting some, but we could have one heck of a Boss Rush on our hands.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I got a side question for Fire Emblem fans since I don't play the series.

Does FE have, like, monsters in it? All the video I've seen of it, it's just humans fighting humans. Are there any huge monsters that would serve as bosses? Or is the biggest enemy in the game literally someone on a horse?

Some possible ones:
- Normal-sized Ridley
- Akuma
- M. Bison
- Rodin (Bayonetta)
- Jeanne
- Dry Bowser
- Petey Pirhana
- King Boo

- Skull Kid
- Sephiroth
- Andross
- Dr. Wily
- Dr. Robotnik

- Mr. Dream
- Bald Bull
- Black Knight (Fire Emblem)
- Hades (Kid Icarus)
- Medusa
- Emperor Bulbax (Pikmin)

- Black Shadow (F-Zero)
- Nightmare (Kirby)
- Marx
- Porky
- Tabuu
I can't imagine they'd make unplayable bosses out of totally normal sized enemies. Bosses' movesets are just as complicated as players, so if the character isn't huge or immobile or something, I can't think of any reason they wouldn't just make it a playable character.

Last edited:
Yeah, but what if, instead of a couple dumb made-up giant robots, those two fights had been, like, Metal Gear Rex and Death Egg Robot instead? Driven by Liquid and Eggman.

And what if Tabuu was just Giygas...

...the final boss should always be Giygas...

...always...Giygas........
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree on the OC bosses.

(But yes, PLEASE. I'd love to see all the bosses you listed.)

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
:ultluigi: King Boo
:ultpeach: The Broodals
:ultdaisy: Fawful
:ultbowserjr: Petey Piranha (both debuted in Sunshine)
:ultlink: Divine Beasts/Calamity Ganon
:ultzelda: Yuga
:ultpit: Hades
:ultpalutena: Medusa
:ultdk:Lord Fredrik
:ultkirby: Marx, Daroach, etc.
:ultpacman: Ghosts
:ultsonic: Dr. Eggman
:ultfox: Andross
:ultfalco: Leon Powalski
:ultyoshi: Kamek
:ultsamus: Mother Brain
:ultryu: Akuma
:ultness: Porky Minch

Gallowglass

Smash Lord

Does FE have, like, monsters in it? All the video I've seen of it, it's just humans fighting humans. Are there any huge monsters that would serve as bosses? Or is the biggest enemy in the game literally someone on a horse?

I can't imagine they'd make unplayable bosses out of totally normal sized enemies. Bosses' movesets are just as complicated as players, so if the character isn't huge or immobile or something, I can't think of any reason they wouldn't just make it a playable character.
Actually they do. They have dragons and Wyvern riders. I could see someone like Michalis riding a wyvern and swinging his polearm from it.
B04-047R_artwork.jpg

You also have the Dragonkin like Corrin who can just straight up turn into dragons.

Last edited:

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman

Well along with what Gallowglass said, there’s also various beast-humans that can transform into various different animals, with the most populous beast-human race being the Laguz which are featured in the Tellius games (Path of Radienve & Radient Dawn). The Laguz consist of three tribes; the Beast Tribe (Cats, Tigers, Lions & Wolves), the Bird Tribe (Hawks, Ravens & Herons) & the Dragon Tribe (Red (Physical Tank), White (Magic-Oriented) & Black (Alpha)). Other beast-human races are the Taguels (Rabbit) in Awakeming, & the Kitsunes & Wolfskins (Hulk-like Werewolves) from Fates.

Fire Emblem of course also have monsters, of which a large variety appear in Gaiden/Shadow of Valentia & The Sacred Stones, along with also having some in Awakening & Fates. These monsters arrange from your typical undead to giant eyeballs/masses & spiders to creatures based on various mythology & dragons. However, the FE monsters are more better-suited to be enemies in like Smash Run than full-on bosses since they are moreso the henchmen of the games more powertful figures than bosses themselves.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Like, whats the biggest, baddest monster you actually fight in-battle sequence with in Fire Emblem?

Is there a final boss that rides a dragon that would make a good Smash boss?

Top Bottom