• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bosses in Smash Switch?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
One thing I really loved in Brawl was the story mode. One thing in particular that I loved about the story mode itself was the different bosses you’d fight along the way. Like most others, I wasn’t too big of a fun of Smash 4’s stage bosses, since they kind of just interferes with the battle. But in Brawl, it was just player vs boss, where you’re actually focusing on taking down the boss, instead of trying to fight other players while avoiding the boss.

One of my biggest hopes for Smash Switch is the return of a story mode, but with far more locations and bosses actually from various Nintendo worlds.

What bosses from Nintendo’s history do you want to see? Here’s my list of what bosses could represent the big series in Smash. I specifically avoided having smaller humanoid bosses, since I think having a boss that could very feasibly be a playable character kind of defeats the point.

Mario - King Boo, Petey Piranha, Mecha Wiggler

Yoshi - Burt the Bashful, Kamek summoning other enemies and bosses

Wario - Rudy the Clown? I think they would want to include something from WarioWare instead of Wario Land since that’s what the series is in Smash, but there isn’t really anything from there that would work.

Donkey Kong - Tiki Tong, Lord Fredrik

Zelda - Gohma, Dodongo, one of the BotW Ganons

Metroid - Mother Brain, Kraid, Ridley (if Sakurai again deems him too big to be playable)

Kid Icarus - Medusa, Hades (both could be playable, but could also be bosses in their giant forms)

Punch-Out - King Hippo, Sandman

Fire Emblem - Grima, Anankos, any other villain dragon

Kirby - Dark Matter, Zero, Marx (knowing that Sakurai prefers his own Kirby creations, I’d bet on Marx)

StarFox - Andross

Mother - Giygas, Porky (I’d love Porky playable, but he’s kinda like Ridley where he can work as both a fighter and a boss. It kinda just depends how big you make his mech.)

Pokémon - Rayquaza, Necrozma, Giovanni or any other evil team leader using multiple Pokémon, pretty much any boxart legendary)

Xenoblade - Metal Face, something from Xenoblade X which I only played for like 5 hours (I can’t really think of anything non-humanoid for Xenoblade 2 that isn’t mid to late-game, but Malos or Jin could work depending on what exactly they do).

Pikmin - Emperor Bulblax, Titan Dweevil, Plasm Wraith (most bosses from the series would work since they’re all huge and intimidating)

Splatoon - DJ Octavio

Mega Man - Dr. Wily

Sonic - Dr. Eggman (in his Egg-Pod)

Final Fantasy - They’d definitley choose something from FFVII because Cloud is the playable character. I’ve only just started FFVII, but from what I’ve seen beforehand Sephiroth would be really cool, and could use crazy boss moves to avoid being too close to a playable character)

Bayonetta - I haven’t played any of the games but I’m sure there’s multiple giant monsters that would make awesome bosses

I left our obvious series without bosses like the retro series, Wii Fit, Animal Crossing, and Pac-Man.

While I’d love the Original 12 to all have a boss from their series, I don’t think there’s anything from F-Zero that could be a boss. It’s a racing game, and every character is a humanoid driver that could just be a playable character like Falcon. Fighting a car would be pretty nice though, but also really weird.

Same goes for Street Fighter. Every character is literally a fighting game character who could just as easily be playable as Ryu.

Who would you guys like to see? My personal top hope would be a Kirby villain. There’s just so many awesome bosses from that series.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd love a new story mode. Bosses are one of the main reasons for that.
Petey Piranha
King Boo
Kraid
Galacta Knight (I know he's not your typical boss, but there's no rule that states that every boss has to be huge, amirite?)
Zero
Andross
Necrozma
Porky
Hades (With commentary from him of course)
Death Egg Robot (With Eggman in it)
Wily in some mech
Dracula (only if Konami returns to the game. I don't think Simon Belmont even has to playable for this to happen since Dracula is pretty iconic to Castlevania)
Those are mostly from games I'm familiar with

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
It'd probably be way too much work, but I'd love to see everyone get a personal boss fight. Like a personal final boss at the end of a Melee adventure mode.

More bosses the better

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
It'd probably be way too much work, but I'd love to see everyone get a personal boss fight. Like a personal final boss at the end of a Melee adventure mode.

More bosses the better
That's a really fun idea. If they went this route, but considered it too much work to do one for every character, then maybe it could be one per series? That could work! The only issue I could see with it is if the companies behind third-party characters are unwilling to allow too much to be put in from their game, like Square Enix was with Cloud. In those cases, maybe those characters could just use a similar series' boss? Cloud, for example, could use the Fire Emblem boss, since they're both fantasy games with swords and magic.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
That's a really fun idea. If they went this route, but considered it too much work to do one for every character, then maybe it could be one per series? That could work! The only issue I could see with it is if the companies behind third-party characters are unwilling to allow too much to be put in from their game, like Square Enix was with Cloud. In those cases, maybe those characters could just use a similar series' boss? Cloud, for example, could use the Fire Emblem boss, since they're both fantasy games with swords and magic.
I think they'd allow it. We don't really know why Cloud had such limited content, but it could just be they wanted to get him out as soon as possible rather than issues with using.

If they allowed the use of 5 summons on the stage, I'm they'd allow a character as a boss, maybe even one of they summons

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
I definitely want to see a Boss Mode in Smash Switch. Brawl's boss mode was neat, but I'd like for the mode to independent from the Adventure Mode bosses, if we even get one like the Subspace that is. The difficulty could follow the route that Kirby: Star Allies did with their Arena mode: An intensity meter to choose your difficulty. The higher the intensity, the more bosses you have to fight.

As for bosses I personally like to see, my picks are King Bob-omb, Master Kohga, Koloktos, Kracko, Galacta Knight, Buzzwole, Grima, Metal Face, Malos, and DJ Octavio.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
I think they'd allow it. We don't really know why Cloud had such limited content, but it could just be they wanted to get him out as soon as possible rather than issues with using.

If they allowed the use of 5 summons on the stage, I'm they'd allow a character as a boss, maybe even one of they summons
It’s true that we don’t know, I guess I assume they were protective with it because they only included two songs with the stage, which is the absolute minimum to allow a selection. Hopefully if he returns, they put in a bit more in that department - One-Winged Angel and JENOVA would be nice. :)

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

More bosses the better
If they did a Melee adventure mode, one for every series would be ideal. It’d be harder for some series like Wii Fit, Animal Crossing, and F-Zero. I’m sure the retro characters could all share one really weird boss from Nintendo’s past, like a living Virtual Boy or something.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Oh by there are SO MANY bosses I'd love to see in a story mode.
Here's a little list (I'll try too keep it to one or two per series)
Fortitudo
Alraune
Koloktos
Armogohma
Skowl
Emperor Bulblax
Grand Doomer
King Boo
Arzodius (I'm a sucker for Streetpass games)
ANY boss from Miitopia
Lunala
Gobblegut
I know many aren't story-important bosses or even recurring ones but I tend to prefer the ones that aren't central to the plot.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
I'd rather have an Adventure Mode than a Story Mode myself, but either one would be better than nothing.

I'd like an Adventure Mode kind of like in Melee with a boss battle at the end of each world. Have one world per game series, then each world will have as many stage as the game has character for that series. There could also be mini-bosses at the end of each substage. Then, bring back Boss Battles with 1-4 players.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'd like to see bosses both in story mode, and also have them in their own stages.

culumon

Smash Apprentice
Same goes for Street Fighter. Every character is literally a fighting game character who could just as easily be playable as Ryu.
I feel like Gill is bat**** and OP enough to constitute a boss character who would never realistically get in as a playable character. My pick if we had a Street Fighter boss would still be M. Bison though, if only 'cuz II is the game with the most ties to Nintendo.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I honestly don't need for Smash to have a Story Mode, but I DO want to see bosses make a return.

I just want one of the rounds to Classic Mode to be a battle against a random boss that's a popular character, but too big or immobile to be a playable fighter.

I want to see:
Giga Bowser [Super Mario Bros.]
Demon King Ganon [Legend of Zelda]
Mother Brain [Metroid]
Nightmare [Kirby]
Andross (64 version) [Star Fox]
Giratina [Pokemon]
Porky [Earthbound]
Medusa [Kid Icarus]
Liquid Snake piloting Metal Gear Rex [Metal Gear]
Dr. Eggman piloting Death Egg Robot [Sonic the Hedgehog]
Dr. Wily piloting Wily Machine [Mega Man]
Behemoth [Final Fantasy]
Dracula [Castlevania]

Last edited:

Electric-Gecko

Smash Cadet
Bosses do not belong in multiplayer stages, as they are a huge distraction.

But I would like boss fights if they have a story mode, or even a "challenge mode". Some bosses should use the damage percentage, like player characters, while some use their own health system.

• Metroid: Uses the knockback percentage (%).
  • Volvagia: From Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Would more likely use their own health system, as they move on & off screen.
  • Bowser, Ganondorf, Mewtwo & Ridley: All these characters should be bosses, but the boss versions would be more powerful than their playable versions. Probably use %.
  • Ganon: A bigger, alternate form of Ganondorf.
  • Mew: A transforms between different pokémon. Uses %.
  • Kamek: Mario enemy. Also uses %.
  • Emperor Bulblax: Final boss in Pikmin. Does not use %. Only problem is that it can be considered a spoiler, as it's a surpise character in Pikmin.
Probably some Mario and Pokémon bosses too, but I don't know who to include.

I also had an idea for an "Assymetrical Smash", a multiplayer mode where one player is a boss who fights 2-3 players who are playing characters from the regular roster. All playable bosses would use knockback percentage.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
We have seen Yellow Devil at this point, and the return of Gaur Plains suggests Metal Face may make a reappearance. I think I even saw a picture with Find Mii's Dark Emperor.

I don't really like the bosses as stage hazards in multiplayer, but I'd love to see them as legit bosses in an adventure mode or boss rush mode. That'd fit along with Master/Crazy hand as well.

Rayquaza could be interesting, since he was a boss in SSE in Brawl but now just flies around the Pokemon League Draco chamber...sometimes. That would be fun.

Ridley will probably not be returning with Pyrosphere for obvious reasons, but since I support Dovahkiin, I'd just as simply recolor Pyrosphere to High Hrothgar and use Alduin instead - that would be awesome beyond reason.

Finally, the 'transformation' final smashes, e.g. Giga Bowser and Ganon, would be awesome bosses if they needed something as well. Bonus points for Giga Bowser having alreday done so in Melee

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
One of the important aspects of bosses I think are phases.

I said before I wanted bosses to be added to Classic Mode, but much like how Master Core doesn't even show up unless the Intensity is set to 5.1 or higher, I think a lot of these bosses could have a Phase 2 type transformation that only shows up halfway through the fight on 5.1 or higher.

For example:
Giga Bowser gets knocked into the lava, then jumps out again as Giga Dry Bowser, similar to NSMB.
Mother Brain is knocked out of her jar, comes back with her Super Metroid body.
Giratina transforms into it's Altered Forme.
Wily Machine's skull breaks off exposing Wily in his capsule.
Dracula transforms into his demon form.
And so on...

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I really liked the concept of Boss battle in Brawl. I felt like it wasn't well implemented though. One I felt like the point of of boss battles was to represent famous characters that wouldn't really fit in a playable characters status. I didn't like the original characters showed in Subspace Emissary. So if they do bring it back I would like it to be this.

1. Only characters from series that are represented. (e.g. Gohma, Mother Brain, Wispy Woods, etc...)
2. I would like it so you can select which boss to fight. Maybe have some type of check to see which characters you've beaten it with or who has the best time.

I'll add a boss list later.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
One I felt like the point of of boss battles was to represent famous characters that wouldn't really fit in a playable characters status. I didn't like the original characters showed in Subspace Emissary.
Smash should never try and make it's own characters. It misses the entire point of Smash.

Hands get a free pass though.

2. I would like it so you can select which boss to fight.
As I mentioned previously, I want them to add a Boss round to Classic Mode, and, as with Smash 4's Classic mode, you always get a choice of 3 paths to take, so you'll always have 3 bosses to pick from.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Dark Matter goes really underappreciated in Smash, he's never appeared on a stage or even a trophy so i would love to see a Dark Matter boss

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Smash should never try and make it's own characters. It misses the entire point of Smash.

Hands get a free pass though.

As I mentioned previously, I want them to add a Boss round to Classic Mode, and, as with Smash 4's Classic mode, you always get a choice of 3 paths to take, so you'll always have 3 bosses to pick from.
I'm find with an original character here and there like the hands but not as many as was in Brawl. Incorporating the bosses in classic mode would be fine but I also like a side menu in stadium where you can just fight that boss. Maybe selecting difficulty level and having up to four people fight with you.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
We have seen Yellow Devil at this point, and the return of Gaur Plains suggests Metal Face may make a reappearance. I think I even saw a picture with Find Mii's Dark Emperor.

I don't really like the bosses as stage hazards in multiplayer, but I'd love to see them as legit bosses in an adventure mode or boss rush mode. That'd fit along with Master/Crazy hand as well.

Rayquaza could be interesting, since he was a boss in SSE in Brawl but now just flies around the Pokemon League Draco chamber...sometimes. That would be fun.

Ridley will probably not be returning with Pyrosphere for obvious reasons, but since I support Dovahkiin, I'd just as simply recolor Pyrosphere to High Hrothgar and use Alduin instead - that would be awesome beyond reason.

Finally, the 'transformation' final smashes, e.g. Giga Bowser and Ganon, would be awesome bosses if they needed something as well. Bonus points for Giga Bowser having alreday done so in Melee
Ridley could still appear on Pyrosphere as a boss, but only if nobody is playing as Ridley the now playable character (like how Toon Link would show up on the Spirit Train if nobody played him

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I really liked the concept of Boss battle in Brawl. I felt like it wasn't well implemented though. One I felt like the point of of boss battles was to represent famous characters that wouldn't really fit in a playable characters status. I didn't like the original characters showed in Subspace Emissary. So if they do bring it back I would like it to be this.

1. Only characters from series that are represented. (e.g. Gohma, Mother Brain, Wispy Woods, etc...)
2. I would like it so you can select which boss to fight. Maybe have some type of check to see which characters you've beaten it with or who has the best time.

I'll add a boss list later.
Oh man, can you imagine an adventure mode where you get to hit major recurring bosses from each series?

Possibles...
:ultmario:: Wart, Tatanga, Petey Piranha, King Boo, King Bob-omb, Whomp King, Madame Broode
:ultdk:: Master Necky, Really Gnawty, Kudgel, KAOS, Army Dillo, Dogadon, Mad Jack (Ooh, I hated that thing)
:ultlink:: King Dodongo, Manhandla, Gohma, Argorok, Molgera
:ultsamus:: Mother Brain, Kraid
...and so on.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I kind of want Giygas as a boss. He would actually be the stage itself and you'll have to fight it. I'm not sure how he would attack though. Its kind of hard to understand.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I was a fan of how Master Giant/Beast played with the stage in 4, and I'd like to see another boss that uses the stage. In SSE, we really only had Meta-Ridley who did that.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Honestly, I want bosses that are more along the lines of Metal Mario and Giga Bowser, in that you defeat them like other fighters but they're much harder. That way you can cheese them with things like rock smash.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'd like a Melee-like Adventure Mode but at the end of each stage you fight a Subspace-like boss. You'd get the best of both worlds.

Stage 1 Mushroom Kingdom
Boss: Petey Piranha
Stage 2 DK Island
Boss: King Zing
Stage 3 Hyrule
Boss: Gohma
Stage 4 Zebes
Boss: Kraid
Stage 5 Dream Land
Boss: Dynablade
Stage 6 Corneria
Boss: Andross
Stage 7 Alola Region
Boss: Buzzwole
Stage 8 F-Zero Grand Prix
Boss: Black Shadow
Stage 9 Nowhere Islands
Boss: Porky
Stage 10 Subspace
Boss: Tabuu

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I'd like a Melee-like Adventure Mode but at the end of each stage you fight a Subspace-like boss. You'd get the best of both worlds.

Stage 1 Mushroom Kingdom
Stage 2 DK Island
Stage 3 Hyrule
Stage 4 Zebes
Stage 5 Dream Land
Stage 6 Corneria
Stage 7 Alola Region
Stage 9 Nowhere Islands
Stage 10 Subspace
I like this, but I'll give my own personal touches.

Stage 1: Mushroom Kingdom
Mini-Boss: Kamek
Common enemies: Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Hammer Bro
Final Battle: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy and Yoshi.
Conditions: Beaten by a certain time limit would give you an extra fight Rosalina.
If you beat Mario last, Dr. Mario will spawn right after.

Stage 2: Donkey Kong Country
Common enemies: Kritters, Tikis
Mini-Boss: Lord Fredrik
Final Battle: Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong

Stage 3: The Legend of Zelda
Common enemies: Octoroks, Stalfos
Mini-Boss: Gohma
Final Battle: Link, Zelda, Sheik
*Beaten in a certain time span would cause a time rift, giving you an extra fight against both Young Link and Toon Link

Stage 4: Planet Zebes
Common enemies: Metroids, Kilhunters
Mini-Boss: Kraid
Final Battle: Samus.
Conditions: Once defeated, her armour sheds and you have to beat Zero Suit Samus and escape the planet within a time limit.

This is where you have a altered route. If you succeed, you progress through stages xA. If you fail, it is through stages xB

Stage 5A: Dreamland
Common enemies: Waddle Dees, Waddle Doos
Mini-Boss: Marx
Final Battle: Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede
*If Bandana Dee is playable, he is added.

Stage 5B: Skyworld
Common enemies: the ones Uprising has
Mini-Boss: none
Final Battle: Pit, Palutena, and Dark Pit*
Conditions: Dark Pit will only spawn if you eliminate Palutena first.

Stage 6A: Lylat System
Common enemies: none
Mini-Boss: Aparoids
Final Battle: Fox, Falco, and Krystal (AT)
Conditions: You must beat Fox and Falco before Slippy and Peppy come to aid them with their Arwings (via their final smashes which they'll automatically get within a certain time frame)

Stage 6B: Splatfest!
Mini-boss: n/a
Final Battle: 3x Inklings, one Inkling on your side
Conditions: Defeat them before your ally Inkling runs out of ink on the stage.

Stage 7A: Pokemon Stadium
Battle: Pikachu, Pichu, Jigglypuff
2nd battle: Pokemon Trainer, Greninja, Mewtwo, Lucario

Stage 7B: Fire Emblem
Mini-Boss: n/a. It's a level where you must collect pieces with FE enemies swarming you.
Final Battle: Marth, Ike, Roy, Corrin
Conditions: A few item pieces are scattered around the level. If you collect them all, you will face Robin & Lucina after the final battle.

Stage 8A: Mute City
Mini-Boss: none, you just have to clear the track on time and avoiding the machines. Similar to Melee
Final Battle: Captain Falcon & Samurai Goroh (AT)

Stage 8B: Gaur Plains
Common enemies: Mechons
Final Battle: Shulk and Metal Face
Conditions: You must defeat Metal Face before Shulk does, then KO him.

Stage 9A: Earthbound
Final Battle: Porky (boss), then Ness & Lucas
Conditions: You must defeat Porky before Lucas and Ness arrive.

Stage 9B: Nintendo World Championship
Battle: 8-player FFA with Little Mac, Olimar, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Mii Fighters
Conditions: Beating it within 2-3 minutes gives you an extra fight with the retros - Mr. Game & Watch, ROB, and Ice Climbers

Stage 10A: Final Destination
Mini-Boss: n/a
Battle: a boss rush battle where you take on each antagonist 1v1. You start off against Wario, then Wolf, Bowser & Bowser Jr., Ganondorf, and finally Ridley.
Conditions: Once defeated, you will face off Master Hand with your damage back to zero.

Stage 10B: FInal Destination
Mini-Boss: n/a
Battle: a third party rush battle where you take on each guest character 1v1. It goes by order they were added into Smash.
Conditions: Once defeated, you will face off Master Hand with your damage back to 25%

Had fun brainstorming this idea. Could be an efficient way to streamline unlocking characters too. Tests your abilities.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Stage 1 Mushroom Kingdom
Stage 2 DK Island
Stage 3 Hyrule
Stage 4 Zebes
Stage 5 Dream Land
Stage 6 Corneria
Stage 7 Alola Region
Stage 9 Nowhere Islands
Stage 10 Subspace
I agree, but I'd have some different bosses.

:ultmario:Petey Piranha
:ultdk:King. K Rool (Wish it could happen, but i doubt it.)
:ultlink:Ganon (Oracle of Ages/Seasons)
:ultsamus:Kraid
:ultkirby:Dark Matter (Swordsman)
:ultfox:Andross
:ultpikachu:Necrozma
:ultness:Porky

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Got DK Country for the SNES but I'm stuck on this one part.
Not sure if I'm just dumb or if i glitched the game, cuz I'm pretty sure the jump I'm trying to make is impossible.
Did you know you can roll off a ledge and then jump while you're rolling even though there's no ground underneath your feet?

Top Bottom