• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

book thread

Metameme

Smash Apprentice
Why isn't there a book thread here? What books did you enjoy?

Brian

Smash Journeyman
I'm all about Haruki Murakami. Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World is my favorite of his, and I would recommend it as a starting point. I don't want to say too much about it because I don't want to accidently spoil something, but the book is comprised of two stories: one about a man who works as a sort of human encoder used to make data secure (this is the 'hardboiled' half of the book) and one about a man in 'the end of the world', a fantastical world he is trapped in. I found Murakami's style really appealing because he writes everything so plainly. He manages to paint vivid pictures using just the key details. He never is too verbose and is rarely unclear.

****, now I want to read more of his stuff. If only this hot girl didn't jack my copy of Kafka on the Shore!

I have a feeling you might dig him, Ryan.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
The Wind-up Bird Chronicle is really good also. I am reading After Dark at the moment.

I also enjoy Micheal Crichton's Prey

Metameme

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the recommendation Brian, sounds like a very interesting book. I'll look into it. Anyone who is interested in metaphysics should check out The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot. The book is about the idea that the universe is a hologram and how that effects everyday life. It's a really cool book, it really makes you wonder what is the universe made of.

Brian

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is amazing, but it's way too long to recommend to someone who hasn't read anything he's written before.
Post again when you finish After Dark (or PM me, I guess). I'm interested in what you think. I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet.

edit: Has anyone read Freakonomics? It's one of those NYT bestseller 'phenomenon' books, so I'm hesitant to pick it up but the premise sounds interesting. Should probably just hit up the library.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Freakonomics is a pretty good read

Zoap

Smash Master
Beatrix Potter *****.

When I was in my teens I read Animorphs, now I tend to only read for school. Ill definitely post some more of my favorites when I remember.

Speak
Catalyst

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
My dad is a pretty big fan of Stephen King, so we own every book hes written. I really liked Under the Dome, one of his more recent ones.

Also, the Dark Tower series is great.

Kira-

Smash Champion
i liked the little prince

and the phantom tollbooth

and roald dahl. does calvin and hobbes count?

now everything i read is practical. Reminiscences of a Stock Operator, Moneyball, various textbooks (some of which are actually enjoyable reads, like my Astronomy text), Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets, etc etc

The rest aren't books, but I read a lot of info on forums and a lot of articles about pro gaming and theorycrafting and discussions about that kind of stuff. Similar to what people do here on smashboards, just in other games.

Also I liked the Heroin Diaries, by Nikki Sixx (Motley Crue), which is exactly that: his diary entries of his life as a heroin and cocaine addict (and probably sex addict and about his fame too kinda). it's interesting stuff

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I'm a huge fan of sci-fi and existentialist lit. I recently finished the Schrödinger's Cat Trilogy, by Robert Anton Wilson. It's a very worthy follow-up to the Illuminatus! Trilogy, which might be my favorite sci-fi series of all time, even ahead of HHGTTG, because it in many ways combines sci-fi/fantasy and existentialism, as there is a great deal of commentary on innate irrationality of humanity and society. It also has a lot of historical themes, and is pretty funny as well.

Sizzle

I paint controllers
In school I liked Of Mice and Men, Frankenstein, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Lord of the Flies. I've also really enjoyed the works of CS Lewis, Michael Crichton, and Alan Moore.

Crowing

Smash Cadet
Red Mars, Green Mars and Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson.

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Denielewski

Most books by Dean Koontz and Stephen King.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
Brian: I just finished reading After Dark, the theme was easy to recognize but the characters were a bit undeveloped but it's sorta understandable since the events take place in one night. I found some parts pretty bland to the point I didn't want to read about that character and some character parts were really interesting. I sorta wish I knew what happened to the other characters since it ended after the one of the "main" characters went home.

Top Bottom