Blazing Player, Cinderace for Smash!

Spatman

Smash Ace
count me as a supporter for this pokémon!
even if in Sw/Sh I chose Grookey, and despite my love for kongs (and Rillaboom himself, lol), I felt in love with Cinderace as soon as I see the one of the Champion.
I believe Cind can be an awesome and very original fighter, I imagine it capable of spawning a flaming soccer ball as an item (not the soccer ball already in smash) and many of its attacks could be soccer-inspired. So it can kick the ball it spawned (similarly to WFT but in a bigger extent; or rather, see it like Menat from SFV sorta, so it can use the ball for attacks and every utility), then of course it could have Blaze Kick, Hi Jump Kick from Pokémon.
Basically it wouldn't have many combos, unless you use its ball as a combo extender

NeonVoid

Smash Cadet
Literally speaking, can everyone give me an opinion on who might actually make it into Smash?

I think it's most likely to be Gen 8

Me personally, I feel like it could be Cinderace, Rillaboom or Toxtricity.
Obviously I'm supporting my boi Cinderace (appreciate that he is finally a good fire starter since Infernape in 2006).
Some expect Urshifu, but for me, I dont think it makes sense with Calyrex, the same reason Zacian wont get in because of Zamazenta (and vice versa).
I could see Toxtricity getting in, he is a fan-favorite and I would be fair and try him.
I hope with a passion that it is Cinderace, his moveset could be perfect for Smash, while Rillaboom would only be DK with Kongo Bongos, and Inteleon wont be appreciated more than Greninja (not that I dont like Inteleon)

Brodemmars

Smash Rookie
My guess

A Namco character like Lloyd Irving for example since we're still missing the Namco Mii costumes

A Square Enix character like Sora since we're still missing the Square Enix Mii costumes

A Gen 8 Pokemon like Cinderace, because if Nintendo is still choosing the DLC characters I'd imagine that they would likely want to save a character to promote the DLC Expansion Pass and based on how popular the Scorbunny line is and how it has been getting special treatment in both the games and anime I'd say that Cinderace has the best shot.

Since we got the River City Ransom spirits, I believe that we'll likely get an Arc System rep like Sol Badguy for the DLC

Crash and Ryu Hayabusa are both well known and heavily requested by fans. Koei Tecmo also has the Fatal Frame assist trophy, so that might help Ryu's chances.

(These 6 are what I feel have the best chance this time around, of course I could just be over analyzing and the final characters could be totally different.)

Honorable mention goes to Rex, I don't know if Sakurai was able to pull some strings to add him in this time.

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Seems kinda difficult to venture an accurate guess without including biases in order to fill in the space but with that in mind, here are my guesses...

After Byleth's reveal I definitely agree another Pokemon (8th gen) is very likely.
I agree the three Pokemon you listed seem the most likely out of the new ones. Inteleon maybe a starter but thats about all it has going for it. It'd have a unique moveset compared to Greninja, contrary to popular belief, but I think it'd be an annoying one akin to Shiek but with spammy projectiles so I don't forsee it being picked.
Toxtricity could easily offer a unique playstyle and perhaps mechanic and with it being one of the most popular new Pokemon it certainly seems in the realm of possibility.
I don't think you give Rillaboom enough credit. Rillaboom may have have a similar build to DK but they would work completely differently in terms of the kinds of moves used. Besides, what does it really matter if we have two similarly proportioned characters when we have literally 30+ humanoid characters with nearly identical proportions?
Cinderace has both the fan factor and mascot status going for them but in terms of moveset has some trouble carving out a unique niche for themselves compared to the rest of the cast. Could they be fun while feeling different to play from everyone else? Definitely.
Because of all this I think its mainly between Cinderace or Rillaboom if a Pokemon gets picked which I have the most confidence for out of any other character.

As far as my other picks I'd say;
Crash:
Very iconic past character with a strong rivalry comparable to Sonic and is having a recent resurgence.
Master Chief:
Has had a huge impact on the first-person shooter space and as such is a big past icon with a good sized fanbase. This franchise is also upon a resurgence. Not to mention Microsoft and Nintendo being buddy buddy, releasing stuff like Banjo-Kazooie and Cuphead DLC when talking about SSBU in particular. There is also going to be a new Halo game releasing late this year and rumors are floating around of a big Microsoft name in gaming being playable on the Switch.
Sonic Character:
Not certain how likely this is but definitely would be a worthy and welcomed addition in my view, aside from a few salty people not getting a single character from their wanted franchise while Sonic's gets two. Then again, maybe they'll get a echo/clone character in the future instead? The possible inclusions are numerous so I'll spare the details.
I think may may also see a character from Bandai Namco and Capcom but who knows?

I've also got a gut feeling that a lot of past and new Nintendo characters will receive echo/clone fighters, such as;
Octoling
Goouigi
Waluigi
Dixie Kong
Possibly a Pokemon like Blaziken over Captain Falcon for example
Not to say it'd be all of these but these ones seem like they'd have a shot.

NeonVoid

Smash Cadet
Seems kinda difficult to venture an accurate guess without including biases in order to fill in the space but with that in mind, here are my guesses...

After Byleth's reveal I definitely agree another Pokemon (8th gen) is very likely.
I agree the three Pokemon you listed seem the most likely out of the new ones. Inteleon maybe a starter but thats about all it has going for it. It'd have a unique moveset compared to Greninja, contrary to popular belief, but I think it'd be an annoying one akin to Shiek but with spammy projectiles so I don't forsee it being picked.
Toxtricity could easily offer a unique playstyle and perhaps mechanic and with it being one of the most popular new Pokemon it certainly seems in the realm of possibility.
I don't think you give Rillaboom enough credit. Rillaboom may have have a similar build to DK but they would work completely differently in terms of the kinds of moves used. Besides, what does it really matter if we have two similarly proportioned characters when we have literally 30+ humanoid characters with nearly identical proportions?
Cinderace has both the fan factor and mascot status going for them but in terms of moveset has some trouble carving out a unique niche for themselves compared to the rest of the cast. Could they be fun while feeling different to play from everyone else? Definitely.
Because of all this I think its mainly between Cinderace or Rillaboom if a Pokemon gets picked which I have the most confidence for out of any other character.

As far as my other picks I'd say;
Crash:
Very iconic past character with a strong rivalry comparable to Sonic and is having a recent resurgence.
Master Chief:
Has had a huge impact on the first-person shooter space and as such is a big past icon with a good sized fanbase. This franchise is also upon a resurgence. Not to mention Microsoft and Nintendo being buddy buddy, releasing stuff like Banjo-Kazooie and Cuphead DLC when talking about SSBU in particular. There is also going to be a new Halo game releasing late this year and rumors are floating around of a big Microsoft name in gaming being playable on the Switch.
Sonic Character:
Not certain how likely this is but definitely would be a worthy and welcomed addition in my view, aside from a few salty people not getting a single character from their wanted franchise while Sonic's gets two. Then again, maybe they'll get a echo/clone character in the future instead? The possible inclusions are numerous so I'll spare the details.
I think may may also see a character from Bandai Namco and Capcom but who knows?

I've also got a gut feeling that a lot of past and new Nintendo characters will receive echo/clone fighters, such as;
Octoling
Goouigi
Waluigi
Dixie Kong
Possibly a Pokemon like Blaziken over Captain Falcon for example
Not to say it'd be all of these but these ones seem like they'd have a shot.
Yeah, I would give Rillaboom a fair try, so I say its between Cinderace, Rillaboom, and Toxtricity.

Honestly, I wished that Sakurai would've added in Decidueye (who is more popular) compared to Incineroar. Then, Cinderace would easily resolve the starter typings and would be almost guaranteed

Also with the other characters, I feel like Rayman is guaranteed, given the hints from Ubisoft adding in Mii Fighter outfits like the Rabbid and Altair

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I would give Rillaboom a fair try, so I say its between Cinderace, Rillaboom, and Toxtricity.

Honestly, I wished that Sakurai would've added in Decidueye (who is more popular) compared to Incineroar. Then, Cinderace would easily resolve the starter typings and would be almost guaranteed

Also with the other characters, I feel like Rayman is guaranteed, given the hints from Ubisoft adding in Mii Fighter outfits like the Rabbid and Altair
Decidueye would have been a really cool character to play. Its a shame the Pokemon franchise doesn't just do their own version of Smash and include all the fan favorites.

Good point about Rayman and Ubisoft. Having a character from them makes total sense with the new costumes you mentioned. Especially seeing as they paired up to make the Mario Rabbids Kingdom game. It seems from fan polls that the character was likely voted a lot for so it'd make sense for Rayman to be included simply for the fans.

Brodemmars

Smash Rookie
Well there's Pokkén which is filled with fan favorite Pokémon, but I don't see that many people talking about it anymore.

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Well there's Pokkén which is filled with fan favorite Pokémon, but I don't see that many people talking about it anymore.
Almost mentioned it in that post. I mostly meant the bit about fan favorites as an afterthought.
Glad the game was made. Would have been cool to see even more DLC.

NeonVoid

Smash Cadet
Pokken includes some fan-favorites, like Charizard, Mewtwo, Lucario, and let's not forget our boy Pikachu. But many other fan-favorites are missing; Greninja, Bewear, Venusaur, Infernape, many favorites are missing, but Pokken forgot about their DLC :(

NeonVoid

Smash Cadet
So while were waiting for a Smash reveal (which is possible with a potential direct next week), does anybody have a FC to play Smash, Pokemon, or legit anything?

I main Pikachu, and I'll post my FC later on
My in game name is NeonVoid

Last edited:
Looking for new first parties that aren't Waluigi.