• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Black Knight for Brawl (SPOILERS AHEAD)

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
OK, you can argue importance for BK, ashnard Machaiah, etc.
don't even try for elincia.

I HATE elincia. she sucks. she can't fight. and, she spends most of the game as an "info" conversation. blah. no. elincia isn't even on the same level as black knight.

and she rides a pegasus knight. no mounted units; it would screw up the game. (not to mention pegasus knights can FLY, thus destroying the point of the entire freaking game.)
Elincia is more important than the Black Knight, in fact she is the most important character in Path of Radiance. I mean if you think the Black Knight is more important than she is to the storyline, I guess you can't read at all. Not being a viable combat unit(In your eyes) has nothing to do with how important she is to the storyline.

I'm not arguing that Elincia should be playable, but to deny her importance...please go back to the 1st grade and learn to read.

-Knight

OniLink171

Smash Apprentice
Elincia is more important than the Black Knight, in fact she is the most important character in Path of Radiance. I mean if you think the Black Knight is more important than she is to the storyline, I guess you can't read at all. Being a viable combat unit has nothing to do with how important she is to the storyline.

I'm not arguing that Elincia should be playable, but to deny her importance...please go back to the 1st grade and learn to read.

-Knight
No. She is less import- gah., whatever. I'm an idiot. okaaaay.... let me rephrase that......
BL is more playable than elincia.
Aparently my brain has been sapped by flaming 24/7....
cant.... remember..... how.... to... not..... be.... an..... idiot.....
whatever i still hate elincia...

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
OK, you can argue importance for BK, ashnard Machaiah, etc.
don't even try for elincia.

I HATE elincia. she sucks. she can't fight. and, she spends most of the game as an "info" conversation. blah. no. elincia isn't even on the same level as black knight.

and she rides a pegasus knight. no mounted units; it would screw up the game. (not to mention pegasus knights can FLY, thus destroying the point of the entire freaking game.)
The Black Knight is just there as the sub-antagonist, Ike is the only one who really wants to kick his butt, while others doesn't seem to find interest on doing that.

Yeah, the Black Knight would work better for a Boss in the Subspace Emissary mode, besides, I see him being the heaviest character in case he becomes a playable character.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
BRAAGH! >8U

I don't know how many times I have to reapeat myself, but there won't be any human-sized and humanoid bosses in SE that are not already playable. It's a waste of time really. And heck, a dragon trumps all other possible FE SE bosses in almost every single way. >_<

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
BRAAGH! >8U

I don't know how many times I have to reapeat myself, but there won't be any human-sized and humanoid bosses in SE that are not already playable. It's a waste of time really. And heck, a dragon trumps all other possible FE SE bosses in almost every single way. >_<
...Black Knight for boss.

Or AT! o.o But really, I say that there are better villians than him, but Fire Emblem... it's really hard to pick a villian from that franchise...

And Fire Emblem fans, tell me: do you want that all of SSB Brawl's Fire Emblem attention is mainly focused on Fire Emblem 9/10? Come on!

Boofer

Smash Ace
I've never heard of him before today, but I must say: THIS DUDE LOOKS EFFING TIGHT!!! I definitely wouldn't mind if he was playable. However, the fact that I've never heard of him probably means he's not popular enough...unfortunately.

raul

Smash Lord
I've never heard of him before today, but I must say: THIS DUDE LOOKS EFFING TIGHT!!! I definitely wouldn't mind if he was playable. However, the fact that I've never heard of him probably means he's not popular enough...unfortunately.
Not so, I never heard of Marth or Roy till Melee and then slowly I learned of the Fire Emblem gaming series. Remember, we have no idea what the Japanese fans think of the Black Knight. For all we know, the Black Knight is a major hit over there. I personally feel the same as you. The Black Knight is an amazing look character and could be tremendous in Brawl. But just because they aren't huge in the U.S. hasn't stopped characters from appearing.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Not so, I never heard of Marth or Roy till Melee and then slowly I learned of the Fire Emblem gaming series. Remember, we have no idea what the Japanese fans think of the Black Knight. For all we know, the Black Knight is a major hit over there. I personally feel the same as you. The Black Knight is an amazing look character and could be tremendous in Brawl. But just because they aren't huge in the U.S. hasn't stopped characters from appearing.
Yes, that's why we have no idea that Sigurd is the most popular lord in Japan....oh wait. If the Black Knight was immensely popular in Japan, we would have known about it. As for his looks? So what?

I guess I should maybe make a Lucia or Karla for Brawl thread because they're hawt.

-Knight

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Yes, that's why we have no idea that Sigurd is the most popular lord in Japan....oh wait. If the Black Knight was immensely popular in Japan, we would have known about it. As for his looks? So what?

I guess I should maybe make a Lucia or Karla for Brawl thread because they're hawt.

-Knight
lol, Karel > Karla D:

But anyways, support is support, Sakurai has the last word though...

...That rymed? Nah.

raul

Smash Lord

-Knight
That's funny, really did you work on that by yourself, or did you have help?

Nowhere did I say that looks alone should win the Black Knight a spot. I just agreed with the other guy that yeah he looks awesome. Am I not allowed to agree with that? Because I'm pretty sure alot of people agree that the Black Knight is a great looking character.

And pardon me if I didn't realize that Sigurd in the most popular lord in Japan.

And if Karla and Lucia are hot, great but trust me real women are even better. Just you wait, you'll realize it soon enough.

Ok enough, I said my part.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
That's funny, really did you work on that by yourself, or did you have help?

Nowhere did I say that looks alone should win the Black Knight a spot. I just agreed with the other guy that yeah he looks awesome. Am I not allowed to agree with that? Because I'm pretty sure alot of people agree that the Black Knight is a great looking character.

And pardon me if I didn't realize that Sigurd in the most popular lord in Japan.

And if Karla and Lucia are hot, great but trust me real women are even better. Just you wait, you'll realize it soon enough.

Ok enough, I said my part.
Yay, I just love sarcasm. I wasn't just making my statement to you in particular but to many people who want the Black Knight in Brawl because he's "awesome" or "cool" purely subjective aspects that should never be taken into consideration; that is why I made the Lucia and Karla comment.

-Knight

raul

Smash Lord
Yay, I just love sarcasm. I wasn't just making my statement to you in particular but to many people who want the Black Knight in Brawl because he's "awesome" or "cool" purely subjective aspects that should never be taken into consideration; that is why I made the Lucia and Karla comment.

-Knight
Who doesn't love sarcasm? I think it should be considered for a foreign or second language for high school and undergrad students. I'll start that thread tomorrow after I finish the "BK is so bad@$$ he should be in Brawl" thread.

But seriously, I understand your argument. Being cool or hot or whatever isn't enough to be in Brawl. And yes, those comments are simply ....BS. But the Black Knight, from my limited understanding of FE, I admit I'm now to FE, is one of the only reoccuring villains in the series, other than dragons. I doubt god**** dragons will be playable, and with my understanding that Nintendo plans on more villains/antagonist/rival, what have you, I think the BK has a fair shot, maybe 55-60% chance of being in.

Zevox

Smash Lord
But the Black Knight, from my limited understanding of FE, I admit I'm now to FE, is one of the only reoccuring villains in the series, other than dragons.
One of the only ones, yes, due to the low number of recurring characters in the series. But not the only one. Garnef the dark Priest was in both of Marth's games (and will surely be in the upcoming Fire Emblem DS), and the main villain of Radiant Dawn was in Path of Radiance as well (won't give his name - spoiler). The Dark Dragon Medeus from Marth's games also had the ability to possess humans, so its conceivable (albeit insanely unlikely) he could appear in a human form. Consider also that the Black Knight, though a recurring character, wasn't even the main villain in either of his games, but a secondary, sub-plot one.

Besides, being a villain is no plus for the Black Knight. Theres an an obvious trend in SSB for heroes to out-prioritize villains (see: Zelda/Sheik vs Ganondorf in Melee, Diddy getting in before K Rool, ZSS before Ridley, etc), and in Fire Emblem, there are literally over a dozen heroes to choose from, many of them more popular than the Black Knight. Ike, Marth, Sigurd, Micaiah, Celice, Hector, Leaf, Roy, Eliwood - he has all of them as rivals for any place as an SSBB PC (at least - I also left out the heroes of the two least popular games of the franchise, and two from Radiant Dawn who are less important than Micaiah), and most of them have more to recommend them than the Black Knight does.

I'd personally even bet on Roy returning before I would on the Black Knight being playable, and hes one of the three Meleers I'm almost certain isn't coming back.

Zevox

raul

Smash Lord
One of the only ones, yes, due to the low number of recurring characters in the series. But not the only one. Garnef the dark Priest was in both of Marth's games (and will surely be in the upcoming Fire Emblem DS), and the main villain of Radiant Dawn was in Path of Radiance as well (won't give his name - spoiler). The Dark Dragon Medeus from Marth's games also had the ability to possess humans, so its conceivable (albeit insanely unlikely) he could appear in a human form. Consider also that the Black Knight, though a recurring character, wasn't even the main villain in either of his games, but a secondary, sub-plot one.

Besides, being a villain is no plus for the Black Knight. Theres an an obvious trend in SSB for heroes to out-prioritize villains (see: Zelda/Sheik vs Ganondorf in Melee, Diddy getting in before K Rool, ZSS before Ridley, etc), and in Fire Emblem, there are literally over a dozen heroes to choose from, many of them more popular than the Black Knight. Ike, Marth, Sigurd, Micaiah, Celice, Hector, Leaf, Roy, Eliwood - he has all of them as rivals for any place as an SSBB PC (at least - I also left out the heroes of the two least popular games of the franchise, and two from Radiant Dawn who are less important than Micaiah), and most of them have more to recommend them than the Black Knight does.

I'd personally even bet on Roy returning before I would on the Black Knight being playable, and hes one of the three Meleers I'm almost certain isn't coming back.

Zevox

Well thats about the best explanation I've ever gotten on this forum period. Thank you sir. Yes I called you sir. I know of Hector, he would be awesome in Brawl.

But if the Black Knight is just a character of a sub-plot and all these other heroes come prior to him, is there even anything to debate? Or do we rely on the fact that, and forgive me for saying this, "Anything can happen?" and thus, we pray for the Black Knight to appear?

Zevox

Smash Lord
Well thats about the best explanation I've ever gotten on this forum period. Thank you sir. Yes I called you sir. I know of Hector, he would be awesome in Brawl.

But if the Black Knight is just a character of a sub-plot and all these other heroes come prior to him, is there even anything to debate? Or do we rely on the fact that, and forgive me for saying this, "Anything can happen?" and thus, we pray for the Black Knight to appear?
Pretty much the last, and some people being convinced that hes more important than he really is, or that being a villain is a plus for him, or that Fire Emblem 9/10 will be focused on exclusively in Brawl for some reason. There seems to be a lot of mistaken information and impressions about him around.

Zevox

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016

I'd like to see only swords in Brawl, but a variation wouldn't hurt... much (heh, kidding).

Actually, Ike is the only one who really wants to beat the Black Knight, while the others will just protect him (Mist is the best example) in any situation. So... Black Knight would fit better as Boss, besides, I would find it sort of ridiculous to kill the Black Knight's armor ability to be destroyed (AKA: Ragnell is the only weapon that can harm the Black Knight), that's another reason why I want the Black Knight to be a boss in Subspace Emissary, and it's up to Ike to defeat him.

raul

Smash Lord
Pretty much the last, and some people being convinced that hes more important than he really is, or being a villain is a plus for him, or that Fire Emblem 9/10 will be focused on exclusively in Brawl for some reason. There seems to be a lot of mistaken information and impressions about him around.

Zevox
Yeah, because I thought he was a real major character and it turns out he's more so, for lack of a better term, glorified henchmen. Don't get me wrong, I'll hang on to a thread of hope, but now I understand why a guy like Hector or Marth or even Roy has a better shot than the Black Knight.

raul

Smash Lord
I'd like to see only swords in Brawl, but a variation wouldn't hurt... much (heh, kidding).

Actually, Ike is the only one who really wants to beat the Black Knight, while the others will just protect him (Mist is the best example) in any situation. So... Black Knight would fit better as Boss, besides, I would find it sort of ridiculous to kill the Black Knight's armor ability to be destroyed (AKA: Ragnell is the only weapon that can harm the Black Knight), that's another reason why I want the Black Knight to be a boss in Subspace Emissary, and it's up to Ike to defeat him.
Good call on the armor. Totally didn't think of how difficult it would be to launch a guy around with that much weight to him.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Good call on the armor. Totally didn't think of how difficult it would be to launch a guy around with that much weight to him.
Maybe he will have stamina? Or did you forgot Ike's strenght? That's why Ike should only face him (and other Fire Emblem based reasons).

Yeah, and the Black Knight... if he appears as a Playable Character, I know he will be the slowest and also the heaviest character, because if Ike is already slow... and the Black Knight is supposed to be even slower...

Pretty logic eh? I prefer seeing Sigurd over him, even Roy.

Zevox

Smash Lord
besides, I would find it sort of ridiculous to kill the Black Knight's armor ability to be destroyed (AKA: Ragnell is the only weapon that can harm the Black Knight), that's another reason why I want the Black Knight to be a boss in Subspace Emissary, and it's up to Ike to defeat him.
On the other hand, Ganondorf can only be harmed/rendered vulnerable by the Light Arrows in many Zelda games, yet he was in Melee and will surely be in Brawl. I agree with you, just making a point.

raul said:
Yeah, because I thought he was a real major character and it turns out he's more so, for lack of a better term, glorified henchmen. Don't get me wrong, I'll hang on to a thread of hope, but now I understand why a guy like Hector or Marth or even Roy has a better shot than the Black Knight.
Hes a bit more than a glorified henchman - although he does play second banana to Ashnard and the Radiant Dawn villain, he is a unique individual, the most important and powerful of the four Riders (high generals) of Daein in PoR, and in RD still a very high-ranking individual under his master. His armor and weapons were blessed by a Goddess, he was trained by perhaps the best swordsman ever to live in his world, and he possesses a special magical powder that gives him the ability to teleport. Hes certainly the second most important villain in his games; just not the real top dog.

Zevox

raul

Smash Lord
Maybe he will have stamina? Or did you forgot Ike's strenght? That's why Ike should only face him (and other Fire Emblem based reasons).

Yeah, and the Black Knight... if he appears as a Playable Character, I know he will be the slowest and also the heaviest character, because if Ike is already slow... and the Black Knight is supposed to be even slower...

Pretty logic eh? I prefer seeing Sigurd over him, even Roy.
I'm actually diggin' this Hector fella (in a non-sexual manner). Looks pretty bad-***, could be strong with decent speed.

I get what you're saying about Ike vs. Black Knight. It's like the clash of the titans, godzilla vs. mothra, cheney vs. a quail...or something like that.

raul

Smash Lord
On the other hand, Ganondorf can only be harmed/rendered vulnerable by the Light Arrows in many Zelda games, yet he was in Melee and will surely be in Brawl. I agree with you, just making a point.

Hes a bit more than a glorified henchman - although he does play second banana to Ashnard and the Radiant Dawn villain, he is a unique individual, the most important and powerful of the four Riders (high generals) of Daein in PoR, and in RD still a very high-ranking individual under his master. His armor and weapons were blessed by a Goddess, he was trained by perhaps the best swordsman ever to live in his world, and he possesses a special magical powder that gives him the ability to teleport. Hes certainly the second most important villain in his games; just not the real top dog.

Zevox
Now that's what I call a back story. The more I learn about this BK character, the more I like him. Kind of reminds of the main ring wraith from the The Lord of the Rings--The Return of the King...don't kill me for that.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016

Zevox
Thanks for reminding me that, but I have a thought of why Ganondorf is vulnerable in Melee... maybe because he didn't summon dark magic and such to become invulnerable? I don't play Zelda much, I just played OoT and Majora's Mask, but it's what I think.

I'm actually diggin' this Hector fella (in a non-sexual manner). Looks pretty bad-***, could be strong with decent speed.

I get what you're saying about Ike vs. Black Knight. It's like the clash of the titans, godzilla vs. mothra, cheney vs. a quail...or something like that.
Yeah, I know, if Roy doesn't makes it in Brawl, I just want Hector to be instead of him, I think he's pretty cool too.

Exactly, Ike Vs. Black Knight only, no other-franchise character to be involved.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Now that's what I call a back story. The more I learn about this BK character, the more I like him. Kind of reminds of the main ring wraith from the The Lord of the Rings--The Return of the King...don't kill me for that.
Oh, I won't - I'm a huge LotR fan/geek myself :) . His back story depth is certainly comparable to the Ring Wraiths', and could be considered better than those of any but perhaps the Witch-King, since he was the only one with great detail in it. The Black Knight is certainly a good character, and I too like him. Hes just not likely to be playable in Brawl.

Zevox

raul

Smash Lord
Thanks for reminding me that, but I have a thought of why Ganondorf is vulnerable in Melee... maybe because he didn't summon dark magic and such to become invulnerable? I don't play Zelda much, I just played OoT and Majora's Mask, but it's what I think.

Yeah, I know, if Roy doesn't makes it in Brawl, I just want Hector to be instead of him, I think he's pretty cool too.

Exactly, Ike Vs. Black Knight only, no other-franchise character to be involved.

If you liked OoT and MMask, then def check out Windwaker and Twilight Pricess. Both are outstanding though I like Twilight Princess better. I liked the puzzles alot.

So assuming the Black Knight is a boss and Ike duels him, will the BK use his magical powers or would that be a strict sword fight? Frankly, because I don't if Ike has any magic powers, I would love to see a great sword fight. That's another reason to play Twilight Princess, but I won't give it away for you. PLay it you'll love it.

raul

Smash Lord
Oh, I won't - I'm a huge LotR fan/geek myself :) . His back story depth is certainly comparable to the Ring Wraiths', probably could be considered better than those of any but the Witch-King, since he was the only one with great detail in it. The Black Knight is certainly a good character, and I too like him. Hes just not likely to be playable in Brawl.

Zevox
If not the BK, what do you think about the chances of Hector?

And LotR is bad-***. Loved all the books. Yeah I'm one of those people, dare I say it...reads.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
If you liked OoT and MMask, then def check out Windwaker and Twilight Pricess. Both are outstanding though I like Twilight Princess better. I liked the puzzles alot.

So assuming the Black Knight is a boss and Ike duels him, will the BK use his magical powers or would that be a strict sword fight? Frankly, because I don't if Ike has any magic powers, I would love to see a great sword fight. That's another reason to play Twilight Princess, but I won't give it away for you. PLay it you'll love it.
From what I've seen...the only magical powers the Black Knight posesses is in the form of his warp powder, and using such powder drains the Black Knight's strength considerably. If Ike did have a showdown with the Black Knight in the Sub-space mode, he could use the powder to warp around the stage a bit, though not often.

-Knight

Zevox

Smash Lord
If no the BK, what do you think about the chances of Hector?
It'd be nice, but I wouldn't bet too highly on it. Although he has some American/international support, hes not half as popular in Japan as he is elsewhere, and outside of that has nothing to recommend him. You can also look at the fate of Lyn, who had more international support than he does.

Personally, my suspicions for the Brawl Fire Emblem roster are Ike and Marth, and if we get a third, Micaiah. That third spot could go to any number of people though - Sigurd or Celice would be probable if that white outfit of Ike's isn't meant to be them (Sigurd is the most popular Lord in Japan, both come from the most popular FE game, and Celice is the main Lord of that game), Leaf could also be possible since he hails from a fairly popular game (third to FE 4 and FE 3 I believe, perhaps beneath 9 as well), and of course theres the chance of Hector or Roy. Eliwood is the only one from the list I gave above that I'd really write off for that third slot personally, since hes very similar to Roy (as he should be, since hes Roy's father), and Roy being a veteran gives him an edge there.

raul said:
And LotR is bad-***. Loved all the books. Yeah I'm one of those people, dare I say it...reads.
Agreed and likewise. The Silmarillion is one of my personal favorite books ever - the depth of the story Tolkien imagined for his world is just incredible.

Zevox

raul

Smash Lord
So Marth, Sigurd, Roy than Hector, just to keep the list simple? Not too familar with Sigurd, is he any more unique than Roy or Marth?

And on the topic of LotR and Tolkein, any updates on the Hobbit movie? I heard for a while Peter Jackson on board then it fell through.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
So Marth, Sigurd, Roy than Hector, just to keep the list simple? Not too familar with Sigurd, is he any more unique than Roy or Marth?
Aside of Sigurd being the most popular Lord... he is the strongest Lord. And according to a few Smash Info pages, Sakurai liked Sigurd. That is enough I say.

My ideal Fire Emblem roster makes Marth, Sigurd, Roy and Ike... but the most logic one is that Roy is out, and the rest are kept... ugh, blue hair everywhere! >__<; (kidding, kidding, but red is an awesome color).

raul

Smash Lord
From what I've seen...the only magical powers the Black Knight posesses is in the form of his warp powder, and using such powder drains the Black Knight's strength considerably. If Ike did have a showdown with the Black Knight in the Sub-space mode, he could use the powder to warp around the stage a bit, though not often.

-Knight
Ahh, so we'd have a couple of hacks and slashes, then a disappearing act leads to a sneak attack, etc. etc. Oh I like it. I like it alot.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord

And on the topic of LotR and Tolkein, any updates on the Hobbit movie? I heard for a while Peter Jackson on board then it fell through.
I would add Micaiah to that list of characters. She is the star of the newest Fire Emblem, the Radiant Dawn and she uses "light magic". Being as unique as she is I think she would add a refreshing spin on the brawl roster.

Marth, Ike, and Micaiah is the perfect roster (To me). I honestly don't see Fire Emblem getting more than 3 characters.

-Knight

raul

Smash Lord
I would add Micaiah to that list of characters. She is the star of the newest Fire Emblem, the Radiant Dawn and she uses "light magic". Being as unique as she is I think she would add a refreshing spin on the brawl roster.

Marth, Ike, and Micaiah is the perfect roster (To me). I honestly don't see Fire Emblem getting more than 3 characters.

-Knight
Oh good call, I forgot Micaiah...probably because I can't spell her name if my life dependent on it. I think she would be an awesome fit to Brawl because she is a mage so she is unqiue when you compare her to Marth and Roy and Ike and so forth.

More than 3 FE reps. and I'll declared that day a national holiday.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Just so you all know (check this out Pieman):

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostReturn014.html
-Apparently Sakurai's favourite Fire Emblem character is Nabarl. I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out the rest, but it seems he's expressing displeasure at Oguma beating Nabarl in the poll.
-Someone asks for a Smash OVA. Sakurai jokingly expresses interest.
Sorry if I went offtopic I just heard someone say Sakurai likes Sigurd (which he probably does) but that's not his FE character.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
yeah, honestly I never got anything from this character.

for heavy FE characters we've got Ike.... I'd even give hector a better chance than BK, but I'd have given Lyn a better chance than hector so who knows.... maybe BK could be an AT?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
yeah, honestly I never got anything from this character.

for heavy FE characters we've got Ike.... I'd even give hector a better chance than BK, but I'd have given Lyn a better chance than hector so who knows.... maybe BK could be an AT?
What's wrong with Zelgius, he killed Ike's father with a powerful god sword and he was one of the coldest bad guy in Fire Emblem.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
What's wrong with Zelgius, he killed Ike's father with a powerful god sword and he was one of the coldest bad guy in Fire Emblem.
since this is a BK support thread, I won't begin to go into all that's wrong with BK because I'll only get flamed and nobody would care.

So I'll just leave it as he wasn't really important or special enough to merit being a PC sorry

Top Bottom