• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BISB - Brawl Is Serious Business - May 16th, Mtl, Ca

swordgard

Smash Hero
BISB - Brawl Is Serious Business

GENERAL INFORMATION

We are trying to confirm all the details,

Date: Saturday, May 16th, 2009
Time: We are looking at 10 - midnight.
900 Riverside Drive, St-Lambert, Quebec. (South Shore)

Walking distance from Longueuil Metro.
For parking, there's a parking lot by the school, which MAY cost 5$. If there is, we will be refunding it to everyone who brings a tv. (:
http://www.mapquest.com/mq/3-1No1rHN2

As you exit the metro you will be at one end of the bus station, you want to go to the other end’s exit and go through it. For reference, you will have passed a Tim Horton’s, a Subway and other restaurants and when you get outside, you will be at a cross light. Cross at the cross light and from here, follow the path to your right all the way to under and past the bridge (the path that has cement blockers along it). You will have to cross a bus path once and two streets on this path and eventually you will come to a parking lot. From here, just continue through the parking lot until you reach the building at the end, which is essentially Champlain Regional College.

Tournament Organizers

Swordgard
TBA

Entry Fees and Format

Singles - $15

-Round Robin Pools (size and quantity to be decided depending on sign-ups); top 32 players advance to a double elimination bracket. All matches are best of 3, except for Winners', Losers', and Grand finals, which are best of 5.

Doubles - $20 ( $10 per person)

-Double Elimination. Matches are best of 3, except for Winners', Losers', and Grand finals, which are best of 5.
-Life Stealing is allowed
-Set team attack to ON

Prizes:
- Singles and Doubles: 60%/25%/10%/5% split for 1st, 2nd, 3rd,4th place

Schedule

10:00 Venue officially opens- Setup/friendlies
11:00-11:30 Brawl Doubles Registration
11:45 Brawl doubles tourney starts
2:30-3:00 Break Time
3:00-3:30 Brawl Singles Registration
3:45 Brawl Singles Tourney Starts.
10:00 PM Venue closes

General rules:​

• 3 Stock
  • 8 minute timer
  • Items are set to "off" and "none"
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
  • Dave's Stupid Rule: No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
  • In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
  • If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
  • Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
  • If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
  • If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  • Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce two stages to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Neutral stages (will be on random select):
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Smashville
Lylat Cruise

Pokemon Stadium - Melee
Castle Siege

Counterpicks (are not on random select, but are legal stages to be selected):

Rainbow Cruise - Melee
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Pirate ship
Jungle Japes - Melee
Brinstar - Melee
Distant Planet

Stage that may be unbanned(probably will)
Pictochat
Onett - Melee
Pokemon Stadium 2
Corneria - Melee

Banned (can never be used under any circumstances):
Port Town Aero Dive
Norfair
Luigi's Mansion
Hanenbow
Bridge of Eldin
Green Hill Zone
Mushroomy Kingdom
Mario Circuit
Rumble Falls
Spear Pillar
Skyworld
WarioWare, Inc.
Summit
75m
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Green Greens - Melee
Shadow Moses Island
Temple - Melee
Yoshi's Island - Melee
Big Blue - Melee

ANY custom stages

Participants

Brawl Singles:
Participants:
ThatGuy
Swordgard
Phen
Steb
Kev!
Linkshot*
Kr3wman
Holy
Ally
Steff
Agony
Agora
Dom
Clet
Marmiton*
Kingkong
Beatboxkiller
Cruel
Negga
Dhope
BentoBox*
Eleftarios
Jer*
DivinoKage*
Vrud*
Pho*
Guard
DarkISDA
Mystic Viper
Kirt

Brawl Doubles:

Equipment:
Obviously, a tournament needs a sufficient amount of equipment to run smoothly; this is where we as hosts put our faith in everybody for making this as efficient as possible. For all you generous people, please include your willingness to share your following equipments

TVs

Holy
Holy
Linkshot*
vrud(Melee)
Phen
Phen
Phen
Phen
Phen
Phen (Will need component cables)

Wiis

Holy
Linkshot*
Swordgard
swordgard
Phen
Phen
Steb
Kr3wman

Gamecube

vrud

Power bars

Linkshot*
Phen (A bunch)

Extension Cords

Swordgard

Recording Equipment
swordgard
swordgard
swordgard
Swordgard maybe a 4th one

Housing

I'd like everyone from the MTL area to help out here.

cemo

white walker
I'd offer housing, but my dad likes to parade around in his underwear.
If you have any problems with the stages tell us (:

Kev!

Smash Journeyman
****. I got beaten to second. Edit: & third lol

I'll be there, with sweet ****-all, because I'm like broke 'n' ****. =D

Get HYPE?

Edit II: Eww **** pokemon Stadium 1
And put BentoChat PictoChat up as a CP!

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Want Pictochat on CP. Possibly Yoshi's Island (Melee)...

Rumble Falls plz lawl

I'll try to make it, if only just for Distant Planet, since the TO in Ottawa has a distinct hatred toward it.

If I do make it, TV and Wii will be provided. Power bar unconfirmed.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I'll hopefully be there for both doubles and singles.

I prefer using Pit, Mario, and Zamus in teams, although my Zamus is out of practice as of late.

Preference of Luigi or Marth partner.

swordgard

Smash Hero
We couldnt get the place for 2 days, so no melee, maybe wle have 1 setup. But thatl be it.

cemo

white walker
I'm fully against PTAD and Corneria being unbanned.
Pictochat and PS2 yes, unsure about Onett.

edit: if there's enough time and tv's, we could -maybe- run a melee side tournie. no promises.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I'm not a fan of PS2. Also, just throwing this out, a new tactic has been discovered on Luigi's Mansion that allows momentum brakers to survive at 999% if they stand at a certain section.

Kev!

Smash Journeyman
Preference of Luigi or Marth partner.

If Dom doesn't feel like teaming with me, I'd be available. I main Luigi and I play him at a pretty good level (or so I'm told). I'm practicing constantly these days, so I can only get better lol.

1) I'd prefer teaming with Mario if we end up together.

2) Our team color must ALWAYS be
red.

That is all.

Linkshot

Smash Hero

If Dom doesn't feel like teaming with me, I'd be available. I main Luigi and I play him at a pretty good level (or so I'm told). I'm practicing constantly these days, so I can only get better lol.

1) I'd prefer teaming with Mario if we end up together.

2) Our team color must ALWAYS be
red.

That is all.
Sweet.

Cape **** is too good.

Agora

Smash Journeyman
Count me in for Singles and Teams.
I can bring a TV if I get a lift, but that's unlikely.
Also a Wii if it won't turn out unused.

And Linkshot, if Dom does want to team with Kev, hola at me, I'll be your partner.
Let us know, Kev.

Otherwise, I'll team with anyone, even kr3w!

I'm ok with Pictochat being unbanned, but not the others. Hell, I'd remove Pirate **** and Distant Pee as well.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Count me in for Singles and Teams.
I can bring a TV if I get a lift, but that's unlikely.
Also a Wii if it won't turn out unused.

And Linkshot, if Dom does want to team with Kev, hola at me, I'll be your partner.
Let us know, Kev.

Otherwise, I'll team with anyone, even kr3w!

I'm ok with Pictochat being unbanned, but not the others. Hell, I'd remove Pirate **** and Distant Pee as well.
I'll keep this in mind o/

And Pictochat is not deserving of a ban, heh. Pirate Ship is actually more deserving.

All my opinions.

cemo

white walker
I don't understand what the problem with Distant Planet is?
Other than the most avoidable walkoff in the game.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
It's a silly stage IMO. The running water forces a break in momentum for like 30 seconds and disrupts the flow of the game. The trampoline-like properties of the leaves and vine make it impossible to time aerials. There's a big stupid thing on the right.

I just don't like it, personally. Not a reason to ban it...

swordgard

Smash Hero
Anyone has anything vs onett or corneria, i mean good arguments. Btw you can ban 2 stages in this tourney.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Corneria has the mostly unbeatable strategy of camping under the fin once you get the percent lead. There are only a few ways to beat this:

Ness & Lucas: Absorb lasers to heal and take the lead.

Pikachu, Toon Link, Link, ROB, Zamus, Diddy, Peach, Wario, Sonic, Snake, IC: Drop projectiles.

Onett: Overswarm has video proof denying the usefulness of infinites+chaingrabbing. Very legal.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Anyone has anything vs onett or corneria, i mean good arguments. Btw you can ban 2 stages in this tourney.
If you remember Fight for your friends 1, Robert vs Chester then ya. Infinites on the corner is pretty bull****. Downtilt to 200% or infinite shine gg.

swordgard

Smash Hero
If you remember Fight for your friends 1, Robert vs Chester then ya. Infinites on the corner is pretty bull****. Downtilt to 200% or infinite shine gg.

The infinites are a lie. Iproved to alot of people you can get out of such infinites within 3 hits. If anything, il just refer you to my DI guide ^.^ . Kev! can attest that it doesnt work too. The only char who can really infinite is d3, and you have 2 bans in the tourney so thats not a problem.

The fin is which part of corneria? Is it the higher part or on the canon? Sorry my english is kinda bad. Also, camping there will only make a difference with d3, and it can be banned, anyone else can abuse ledge invincibility to make safe approaches.

Thats what i thought about onett, perfectly legal, no infinites except one place, and youd have to be a moron to fall for it there.

Top Bottom