• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Biggest Nerf, Biggest Buff?

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
Most nerfed would have to be Peach which disapoints me because she was my main in Melee. Her throws are worse, she still doesn't have a move that kills at low percentages. She can't float cancel and her float has less range.

Biggest buff would have to be Game and Watch. He has a shield now and is heavier. Not to mention got a massive recovery boost, the bucket is better, he can pillar and his down throw can tech chase. He's improved in virtually all aspects, except for his nair.

And as far as who has changed the least... I'm not to sure, maybe DK. DK seems the same to me.

Anyways, I'm curious about what you guys think. As well is how much do you agree with what I said.

PEACE!

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
Biggest Nerf is actually..not Peach. Amazing huh? It's actually DK, DK really seems to me that he lost some Monkey Power. He looks slower, his Airiles seem to be more laggish. He didn't really seem to be new.

Biggest Buff: Ness, he seems to be back to the N64 days again

Link didn't really changed much.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Unchanged: Sonic. He's still emo.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
Biggest Nerf is actually..not Peach. Amazing huh? It's actually DK, DK really seems to me that he lost some Monkey Power. He looks slower, his Airiles seem to be more laggish. He didn't really seem to be new.

Biggest Buff: Ness, he seems to be back to the N64 days again

Link didn't really changed much.
DK already sucked and Link is worse... And Kirby got a nice buff too.

Krylon

Smash Rookie
Just to input on what a few people said, based on my (casual) experience with Brawl:

DK is definitely not the same. Overall I'd say he actually got buffed, not nerfed. His improved recovery actually makes him a viable character, and well he seems a little quicker, and while he packs less of a punch, he's actually playable now.

Link definitely got nerfed, and pretty badly. Maybe it's because he used to be my main, but Link is definitely one of the most nerfed. His Up+B is basically useless now. His lack of speed isn't as bad as it was before considering the overall pace of Brawl, but his projectiles feel a tad slower and don't pack the same punch either.

Marth FEELS nerfed. He isn't actually, but it's because the whole game's pace is slower that there's less of an agile feel to him.

Didn't play or see much of Peach or Kirby.
Bowser got quite a buff, as did G&W, but I wouldn't say the MOST.

If I had to pick who got buffed the most, I would maybe say Ness, from what I played, because he seemed virtually worthless to me in Melee against anyone remotely good. In Brawl, he's definitely a force you don't wanna mess with.

Zek

Smash Ace
It's stupid to just compare moves directly with Melee and proclaim a character nerfed. Melee doesn't matter anymore, the game has changed. What matters is how the character compares to the rest of the cast now, relative to how they compared to the rest of the cast before. And it's way too early to determine that.

Tajem

Smash Apprentice
It's stupid to just compare moves directly with Melee and proclaim a character nerfed. Melee doesn't matter anymore, the game has changed. What matters is how the character compares to the rest of the cast now, relative to how they compared to the rest of the cast before. And it's way too early to determine that.
QFT. Good job. :)

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
...how many of these threads have we already had?

Nerf: Link. He seems just as slow- possibly a little faster but it isn't big enough of a difference to impact anything so far- not as heavy and, compared to the new larger amount of heavyweights, not as powerful. His chargeable ^B seemed welcome at first, but I have yet to see it connect or even come into use. His recovery seems more like the N64 version than Melee and his boomerang seems to cause more problems than usable strategic advantages. I see Toon Link being a lot better for 1v1 matches.

Buff: Kirby. Whether it's the new demographics for the game or an actual change in his stats, I don't know, but he seems to be better in this game. The new fair and running A attack are very welcome, and the suck in + jump off + footstool jump combo looks deadly.

But, that being said...

...he's right.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
Man you guys don't seem to know much about the game.

How about we wait till it comes out before we start judging characters.

Xyhthyx

Smash Journeyman
To me it feels like the biggest nerf is Captain Falcon. The biggest buff would have to be Zelda, no other character got as buffed as she did. Her sweetspots are smaller now, but then again so are everyone else's.

Biggest nerf on an individual move is Peach's down-smash. Zelda's forward-B being the biggest buffed move.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Biggest buff - Zelda, down b is no longer shieks worst move.

biggest nerf - Mewtwo.
Technically, Lucario is the new "Mewtwo that doesn't suck" sorta...

Most improved: My god, it's Mr. Game and Watch. He's literally top tier as far as I'm concerned. He has NO BAD ATTACKS in his arsenal. His B-air ***** the **** out of shields and has broken priority, and his Up-B is nuts.

Zelda isn't too far behind though in terms of improvement.

Most nerfed: It sounds like Peach and Captain Falcon are significantly worse in Brawl than in Melee. Sheik also seems toned down, not to mention Space Animals in general.

Every other returning character seems to be improved to some degree....Not sure about ICs, Jigglypuff, or Samus though.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Biggest buff BY FAR: Zelda
Biggest nerf: Cpt Falcon

Most unchanged: Marth or Jiggly

And I keep seeing all this jazz about Link sucking. He doesn't suck in this least bit. His projectile game is as ridiculous as ever and his smashes/ftilt are still as strong or stronger. He is also one of the fastest (if not the fastest) fallers in Brawl.

PhoenixWiight

Smash Cadet
I hear so much in terms of DK and Link, and you make them seem that they're terrible now, but your not taking into consideration that this is no longer Melee. If the Link from this game fought the Link in Melee, yes, he'd lose, but this is a position where all the other characters are different aswell, along with DK. IMO, I feel they're all pretty evened out.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
I hear so much in terms of DK and Link, and you make them seem that they're terrible now, but your not taking into consideration that this is no longer Melee. If the Link from this game fought the Link in Melee, yes, he'd lose, but this is a position where all the other characters are different aswell, along with DK. IMO, I feel they're all pretty evened out.
QFT

10 char

El HP

Smash Ace
DK already sucked and Link is worse... And Kirby got a nice buff too.
Sorry but DK didn't sucked in melee hell if a new tier list was to be made he would be mid tier that's for sure.

On topic I think Falcon has suffered the biggest nerf while zelda seems to have been greatly improved.

Kensei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kenseithomas
Buff: Luigi ( his new jab combo to ^ B is awesome)

Nerf: Shiek seems alot weaker and changing to zelda takes ages now...

entrapment

Smash Apprentice
Buff: Snake...from nothing to MADPOWER house....he is just so buff it would take 4 more ssb to nerf him down to avg

Nerf: Samus...she lost everything but her Spike.......she just can't kill anymore... sexy nerfed...missle nerfed....charged beam nerf.... back air nerfed....only person this affected was Sheik but she has more K.O abilty

Changed the least: Pikachu.....whats changed you tell me cause he looks and feels the same.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
I don't know how you people can say Fox is nerfed because he's REALLY not. He only lacks aerial priority, but he's still a beast. Even so, the new airdodge helps against air combos. The new "auto l-cancel" makes drillkick into anything so much more reliable and nAir combos as well. The drill spike (1st hit) is easier to pull off and the shine is indeed improved from Melee since the range is greater. If you don't believe me, watch my youtube videos. I didn't even main Fox in Melee.
http://www.youtube.com/CLShortFuse

Marth is heavily nerfed in range but he's floatly like Jigglypuff in someways and his fAir is extra broken.
Link feels overall slower and Young Link got a huge boost (as Toon Link).
Captain Falcon feels odd now and not as quick as before.
Same problem with Falcon applies with Sheik, a bit slower and seemingly weaker.
Samus feels the more or less same, but I didn't use her much in Melee
Pikachu feels overpowered now, huge strength boost, especially with his fAir and dSmash.
Luigi seems improved, or I'm just having a hard time against him. He's a good comboer at lower %.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Kill that noise. Brawl isn't as different from Melee as every makes it seem. Marth was great in Melee for various reasons and he is great in Brawl for the same reasons. This is true for other characters as well.
It is reasonable to consider how characters have changed in transition from Melee to Brawl. If they've changed a lot, then we have to learn a lot about how to play them now, but if they've haven't changed very much, like Marth, then we can play them mostly like we did before.

It isn't reasonable to say that "since Brawl isn't Melee 2.0, we should forget what we learned in Melee".

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Kill that noise. Brawl isn't as different from Melee as every makes it seem. Marth was great in Melee for various reasons and he is great in Brawl for the same reasons. This is true for other characters as well.
It is reasonable to consider how characters have changed in transition from Melee to Brawl. If they've changed a lot, then we have to learn a lot about how to play them now, but if they've haven't changed very much, like Marth, then we can play them mostly like we did before.

It isn't reasonable to say that "since Brawl isn't Melee 2.0, we should forget what we learned in Melee".
Funny you say that. I mained Marth for 3-4 years in Melee and abandoned him in Brawl. Sure his moves look the same but the properties of hit attacks and the range were very different to my style of play. I abandoned him and chose Ike.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Funny you say that. I mained Marth for 3-4 years in Melee and abandoned him in Brawl. Sure his moves look the same but the properties of hit attacks and the range were very different to my style of play. I abandoned him and chose Ike.
Maybe he feels different, but he is capable of many of the same things as before, such as Ken combos. His range has decreased, but he isn't all that different.

Gimpy seems to think he's still good.

Fearthesmash

Smash Apprentice
Biggest Buff: Zelda
Biggest Nerf: Fox
Most Useless: Yoshi

Yes Yoshi. Hes worse than he was in melee, and lets face it... he wasn't exactly good before.

Ti11erTheKi11er

Smash Apprentice
As of now i don't know the biggest nerf or buff! But i can tell that alot of chars were buffed and a lot were nerf a bit but not so much! Some got horrible nerfs.....shiek IMO! And this is from watching video's not playing so it's a bit harder to tell

xYz

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1049-0933-6834
we all know falcon got nerfed the hardest...

zelda and g&w got buffed the most

and marth, is still broken.

Top Bottom