• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Big News: The crazy sliding Up-Smash glitch? I did it. And taped it.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kkozACNzng

While Falco was chaingrabbing me, I was spamming (read: tapping repeatedly) up on both the Control Stick and C-Stick, trying to DI up and U-Air. When he released me the last time, I U-Air and as soon as I land, I do the sliding Up-Smash all the way across the stage. I never stopped spamming the control sticks until after I noticed myself sliding; I never pushed any buttons. The video has slo-mo with sound in case anyone has any theories.

So, as we have done before on this topic... Discuss. (This would be REALLY useful if we could pull it off consistently)

I'll edit in the other two YouTube videos of this happening in here in a bit.
EDIT 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3I-3DfjEcs

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
Ok thanks for clearing that up ^^
Well this seems interesting then.

EDIT: Seems to go about as far as Sheik's DACUS.

tocador

Smash Lord
Sounds ausom.

You guys look arround it and when your done give us the info so i can use this. O and while ate it, get me some juice. Aple juice.

Researching.... yeah... dosent feel like it =/.

turning wii on right now sir

fZk

Smash Lord
The time I remember, I think I was doing a ledge attack into the stage. The character blocked the attack and then somehow I did it. I don't think I was in the air or landing, although I'm not certain.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I believe this is similar to Mario's Sliding Up-smash, where doing a hyphen Smash on a specific part of the dash causes you to get a momentum boost. My guess is Diddy like Mario has a moment in his dash where his velocity is technically MUCH higher than his average run speed, and Upsmashing (and especially if you would charge it) is a way to exploit that.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I do not have Tap Jump on.

My configuration:

Gamecube Controller
R set to Jump
Y set to Grab
Tap Jump off

Hacks currently on:
No Tripping
Texture Replacement
Default Settings
Decay in Training
Unrestricted Pause Camera
Infinite Replay
Tags in Replay

EDIT: That makes sense, A2ZOMG... In both my case and in the other video, it's right after we land that the boost happens; perhaps if you Up-Smash during like, frame 1 of the dash, you get a boost?

tocador

Smash Lord
Could be so.

And if so, it will be extremely hard to abuse it, sadly =/.

I was able to do it once after A2ZOMG said this, and yeah, its preety dam hard to pull it off ><

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
I believe this is similar to Mario's Sliding Up-smash, where doing a hyphen Smash on a specific part of the dash causes you to get a momentum boost. My guess is Diddy like Mario has a moment in his dash where his velocity is technically MUCH higher than his average run speed, and Upsmashing (and especially if you would charge it) is a way to exploit that.
I took a screenshot of Diddy's ground movement data.
Might be useful.
http://i49.tinypic.com/2rmqq8z.jpg

His initial run velocity is higher than than his dash velocity.

ADHD

Smash Hero
It is way too hard to do this on demand. It is like samus' melee SWD times 20 in terms of difficulty.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
my question...stage dependent? probably not since it was done on curved and flat stages

so the inputs are fh/sh upair into upsmash while spamming analog up? but how do we get the slide o.o is there ANY dash attack involved and or any movement of the analog or c stick being pushed into any right or left direction?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
my question...stage dependent? probably not since it was done on curved and flat stages

so the inputs are fh/sh upair into upsmash while spamming analog up? but how do we get the slide o.o is there ANY dash attack involved and or any movement of the analog or c stick being pushed into any right or left direction?
Is that the input?

Isn't it like this:

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Is that the input?
That's the input I was using when it happened to me, though it is very possible that I tapped the control stick to the left on accident while I was trying to spam up. If I did that right as I landed, initiating a dash, while spamming up on the C-Stick to start an Up-Smash, then I can see the "initial dash is faster" idea making sense.

Are there hacks out there to make Brawl go at a frame-by-frame pace, so we could test this out? I bet it is really finicky with the timing... And while this probably many times harder to perform successfully, Sheik mains learned how to DACUS on command, and that **** is hard. Who is to say we couldn't do the same, even if the timing is very strict?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
It's what A2ZOMG said. Try dash attack picking up a cracker launcher. If you time it right, Diddy slides heaps far. It's just a certain time (like right at the start) of Dash attack that if cancelled, gives you an insane boost. As for abusing it, I don't see why not. It's just practise.

Edit: Awesome idea right. Untested, but can you imagine cancelling Dash attack at the right time with Grab. WTF Grab range anyone? Also, you should be able to boost toss your bananas the same length, of course it has to be timed right. This is all just theoretical though, but it should all work seeing as you're just cancelling Dash attack at the right time.

Yikarur

Smash Master
It's what A2ZOMG said. Try dash attack picking up a cracker launcher. If you time it right, Diddy slides heaps far. It's just a certain time (like right at the start) of Dash attack that if cancelled, gives you an insane boost. As for abusing it, I don't see why not. It's just practise.
Vid? I tested the initial dash frames this with Frame by Frame and never got a boost like that.

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
To the SE of Port Town.. ..send - Seattle, WA

Edit: Awesome idea right. Untested, but can you imagine cancelling Dash attack at the right time with Grab. WTF Grab range anyone? Also, you should be able to boost toss your bananas the same length, of course it has to be timed right. This is all just theoretical though, but it should all work seeing as you're just cancelling Dash attack at the right time.
i dont think its dash attack either, i havent gotten any boost at all with dacus throw or boost grabs and pivot boost grabs

Yikarur

Smash Master
I tested every dash variation and It doesn't work D: (with Frame by frame)

we have to gather the infos of both videos which are intentical.

-both Diddys got hit
- both Diddys started the aerial/sideB close to the ground (well the uair was on about the same level with the plate)
-both Diddys did it after landing

more information available? ;o

Coyn3Masta

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't there a thread about this involving GaW's up b? If so, it could be used as another thing to look at.

PortCity

Smash Ace
Here is my contribution to the research:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BItK9bMv2T0

I did it on Lylat while practicing 2 v 1. I suspect you can do this on command, without being hit first, etc. This video is different from the others because I was clearly on the offensive and was distinctively in the middle of the dash animation. I don't remember what buttons I was pressing, but I know it was a WHOLE BUNCH. I make up tactics on the fly and sometimes I get confused and put in multiple inputs at one time. If it helps...one of the buttons I was pressing at the time was B :-\ ... anyway I tried to edit it as well as possible so we can gain as much info.

Edit 1: Wow, after staring again...I did get hit. And with the one move that has a wind effect. Some weird stuff did happen. I took damage, but kept moving. The prevailing theory might be correct...you may have to be hit with something to set this move off. I'll keep staring at it, and try to make edits as necessary.

Esca

Smash Champion
Port City's vid was basically him getting hit by the wind part of Toon Link's dair, which shot him across the stage.

Also, I think we're missing out a very important part of this tech.

It's Diddy's upsmash. Can anyone here besides ADHD comprehend the difference betwen Sheik's and Diddys?

Top Bottom