• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Way to Train Solo?

Bit64

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have any good tips on some good ways to train yourself solo in Brawl? Normally I'd go mano a mano with friends, but due to college and jobs we don't always have time, and a tournament's coming up. My Best Characters are:
1.)Wolf
2.)Luigi
Normally I fight against level 9 CPUs, but recently I've started fighting level 7 CPUs, as I've heard that they're more "Human like." I don't really think fighting CPUs is the best way to prepare for a tourney though, as they sometimes do stupid things that even a total novice human player wouldn't do. So, I ask, does anyone have some suggestions for some efficient ways to train solo?

(I've also tried watching videos of tournament matches, but most of the ones I've found so far aren't very good...)

Anyway, thanks alot!

Life

Smash Hero
Just work on technical stuff. Platform canceling the SV platform, character specific techs (look them up), DACUS, etc.

CPUs are terribad and I've already ranted about why we can fix them yet won't...

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Play other games that require you to predict your opponent. Eventually you'll be able to do it in any game.

Other than that, practice buffering and other small techs your character may have so you don't lose the timing

Bit64

Smash Rookie
Play other games that require you to predict your opponent. Eventually you'll be able to do it in any game.

Other than that, practice buffering and other small techs your character may have so you don't lose the timing
I play tons of other fighting games with friends and alone (All of which seem to have better CPU AI than Smash Bros. but I digress) and yes, the things you learn, such as response time and the ability to predict and read your opponent, even when fighting another human carries over to other fighting games. But I play Brawl the most like always.

As for the Tech. stuff, I've been practicing that too. I still don't know every little tidbit, but I'm sure I'll find more, thanks.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
work on tech skill

level 9's are not bad if u know how to use them. basically some of them are really good at mixups (peach, pika) so put the match on 5 stock and try to win without losing a stock. even 5 is pretty damn hard, if too easy then put it up. it'll help you on those matchups and your spacing in general. u can choose other cpu's but they're pretty bad

otherwise just get good, play melee every now and then ;), and play wifi with the intent of learning cuz it does help

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Play Ice Climbers so that when you do get the chance to play people, your lack of experience will be made up for by godlike tech skill (i.e. guaranteed kills off the grabs).

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
There's a limited number of things you can improve on going solo against CPUs. It is not entirely true, however, that training against CPUs is bad for you, or does no good. Granted, it's best to do it in moderation and be acutely aware of how many things you'll do as far as "mindgames" won't work on a competent human opponent so they won't become habitual.

But I play CPUs from time to time and I use it to improve things like DI, timing, spacing and reaction time. These are things do not require a counteracting mental force to practice, which mindgaming and reading do. Pick a level 9 CPU and practice your powershielding, spacing and DI.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
First of all, play Marth and Luigi, in that order.
Playing against CPUs isn't necessarily bad. You just have to play against them to only practice Tech skill and strings and what not. Do not play to win.
Also, go into training to practice ATs and other tech skills til you can perform them 100% of the time. And, as said above, read.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Work on DI.
Learn to space better.
Play with a high handicap. It'll teach you to keep yourself alive.

Just other technical stuff for each character.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
With CPU opponents you can only do so much. It is better with real people since you can play mind games and not worry about perfect shielding and ground dodges like the CPU does a lot...

etecoon

Smash Hero
best thing to do when you're alone is write notes IMO. some tech stuff you can do in training mode too but writing is very helpful

TimeTemporal

Smash Cadet
Learn to read the opponent. Learn to be able to switch up your tactics at any time. Make sure you can do all your character's useful at's. And, uh, eat healthy and get plenty of rest before the tournament.

Bit64

Smash Rookie
Sheesh, looking back at this, I made it sound like ALL I do is fight CPUs.
I do practice combos and tech things quite a bit also, but thanks for all the replies so far, some in particular were quite helpful, like etecoon for suggesting note taking. I never thought to do that, it's really quite handy!

BumbleBomb

Smash Apprentice
You can train as much as you can to learn the match ups and unique techniques to the characters you use, but ultimately everyone is different in the ways they play so being quick to adapt is a major factor as well. being able to put the thought into the controller is a whole nother world that requires a little thing called practice.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Yeah, dont listen to anyone who tells you its impossible to train by yourself. Thats freakin stupid. Dependent on your character, you would want to learn how to do the techs. So then you can learn how to USE the techs when you actually play someone. Tons of pros go train in training mode. Tyrant and Haze ( the ones I play with) use training mode all the time. As BumbleBomb said, you have to learn how to put thought into action. Thats done through practice. Theres tons a techs that go unused that you may find a solid purpose for, ( Im one of the few who actually uses true pivot and Dash Dance Pivot a ton). Things like buffering an AD with a ledge jump> roll or roll>buffered grab, even some psuedo combos exist if your buffering is on point. Get those things down so you can add more to your repertoire. Learn when your moves end so you can accurately learn to buffer.

Theres tons of things based on reading in the moment, however you have to create a system through basics first to allow easier reading. Like for instance, comedian improv. Theres an actual system utilized like playing off the crowd in front, looking for a minority in the audience etc, so it is easier to create new content. Lol at the morons who say otherwise.

Theres tons of smart players out there, but its the consistency that makes a great player. M2K, Larry, etc practice consistency. It starts with you and ends with you.

Top Bottom