• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to practice Brawl if you have no comp in your local area?

Perfect Legend

Smash Rookie
I will introduce myself first:

I am Perfect Legend I was the Evolution World champ in 06 for Dead or Alive 4 and was the National Champion and top 3 finisher in WCG 2007. Also was apart of the CGS this year for DOA4 aswell.

I have always wanted to get into smash but I was very busy with DOA but now DOA is practically dead competition wise this gives me all the time in the world to learn smash ^_^.

I used to talk to Ken, Vidjo and Chudat back before brawl came out and asked them things about melee but obviously we all are playing Brawl now.

I am trying to figure out what are the things that have to be practiced in this game and can this game be made playable enough to learn the game online?

V. Mizrahi

Smash Rookie
This is how I did it:

Go onto practice mode and get yourself acquainted with all 35 characters and their moves. I never had any friends who played the Super Smash Brothers series until about a year ago, so I basically trained against computers in actual matches. If you want to play as Zelda, Fox, and Marth I can give you pointers on how to use them since I main them and am best with those three.

On practice:
Pick a character you want to be. Make sure to set the computer character you are practicing against at a level you're comfortable with. Pick an opponent who will allow you to get an opening (Diddy Kong and Mr. Game and Watch are usually all over you). If you are merely a beginner, then I recommend levels 4-6. If you're good, then go ahead and go for a level 9. Choose the Final Destination arena.

While practicing, press pause and have the computer fight you. Practice your side dodges first. When you you feel have got that down to the point that you can (Shield+Left/Right) side dodge just 9 out of 10 attacks, start practicing with stand dodge (Shield+Down). If you want to see how good you've become, pause and set the number of computers from 1 to 2. Or from 1 to 3 if you're feeling confident.
When you have all of that down, move on to working on combos and experimenting with how you can use this move and that move and work. Look for multiple uses for your B moves.

Once you can effectively keep an offensive ground when practicing against a Level 9 computer, go and actually fight against one. When you feel you can beat anyone (if you haven't beaten a Level 9 Diddy Kong with ease), play a Diddy Kong until you can absolutely slaughter it (I say this because I have trouble with Level 9 Diddy Kong with everyone).

Hope this helps ^_^

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Playing coms that have inhumane reflexes and ******** AI won't get you any better; they'll make you worse.

If you're going to get serious about this game, you have to find people in real life to play against.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
I will introduce myself first:

I am Perfect Legend I was the Evolution World champ in 06 for Dead or Alive 4 and was the National Champion and top 3 finisher in WCG 2007. Also was apart of the CGS this year for DOA4 aswell.

I have always wanted to get into smash but I was very busy with DOA but now DOA is practically dead competition wise this gives me all the time in the world to learn smash ^_^.

I used to talk to Ken, Vidjo and Chudat back before brawl came out and asked them things about melee but obviously we all are playing Brawl now.

I am trying to figure out what are the things that have to be practiced in this game and can this game be made playable enough to learn the game online?
Things that have to be practiced are often character-specific ATs (advanced techninques, IDK what lingo you're familiar with). While you can learn the game online very well, it will not get you ready for the competitive Brawl scene.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Traveling is really all you can do for a proper practice. Maybe get a friend who lives near you to join you in brawl that way you guys can be like rivals and play each other with multiply characters to practice daily then go to tourneys for expanding your experience.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Also, pick a character and get familiar with them. Almost all smashers have a "main" that they practice the most (Read, everyone good but NL and Azen =P) and check out more in depth stuff about that character at the character boards.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
The nest best thing besides traveling to getting better is to get more people interested (i.e. put a post on these boards or AiB for a smashfest or something) and generate enough interest for a community to get started.

Otherwise, you're stuck with online, which is terrible for any actual practice.

And seriously, traveling is your best solution. I mean, Sudai travels 2-4 hours every weekend just to get to a tourny.

Staco

Smash Champion
travel a lot.
play online to learn some basics, but pay attention, lag dont helps you to get better.
try to find players, which are close to no lag and pratice with them.
and travel to in-person tourneys.

Kage Me

Smash Ace
Just play With Friends online on a lagless connection...

If you can't get a lagless connection, yes, you'll probably have to end up traveling. Sucks, I know.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Just play With Friends online on a lagless connection...

If you can't get a lagless connection, yes, you'll probably have to end up traveling. Sucks, I know.

Even lagless, I think wifi pales in comparison to actual local events. I go to tournaments and lose in the first few hours, but stay all the way till the end because the community is really cool =].

Traveling is a great thing, not a curse IMHO.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Online is the next best things. Training for perfection of techniques, Online for application. Or try it on lvl 3 or so CPUs.

K 2

Smash Lord
Real people are you best option.

If you can't play real people, Wifi isn't that bad of an option.

If you don't have wifi, training mode...

ungulateman

Smash Journeyman
Pick a character you want to be. Make sure to set the computer character you are practicing against at a level you're comfortable with. Pick an opponent who will allow you to get an opening (Diddy Kong and Mr. Game and Watch are usually all over you).
That explains why I can't play offensive on those chars. (Yes I'm a n00b get over it)

On a side note, my group's ranking is:

Beat G&W on FD, 1 stock no items no time limit. Your level is equal to the com's level. (Add an additional CPU for above lv. 10. One of them has to be lv 9, though.)

I'm now "level 9" with like, 1/3 of the cast, and I started keeping track yesterday.

P.S. They think Wolf AND Marth AND just about everyone else except ROB, Peach and Pit beats MK. Their immediate response to a logical argument showing why MK is better: TIERS R 4 QUEERS!!!!!1!!1!

Sudai

Stuff here
And seriously, traveling is your best solution. I mean, Sudai travels 2-4 hours every weekend just to get to a tourny.
I was just searching my name (lulz) and I wanted to correct this statement. I drive anywhere from 4-12 hours (one way) a weekend just to -play- smash. Much less tournies. Haha.

Pi

Smash Hero
Just be sure to NOT develop bad habits

Recognize which moves should be working and which moves should not be working but are working due to your opponent

If you truly want to get better, help your opponents out (given that they are open to suggestions (ie, not AI))
Tell them what you're doing that is working on them, and see if they can change it.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
Obviously traveling is your best option, but I think you want solutions that don't involve you driving for hours to a tourney.

Online is the next best option. Sign up for GameBattles or something like that and get yourself a lan extension to reduce lag as much as possible. With everything possible to reduce lag on my Wii, online has a slight difference in gameplay that affects the way you play, but I think it's a lot more slim than most people give it credit for.

I only played online to prep for my first few tournaments and it's surprising how much you learn. You won't be as good as the best players at the tournament, but you'll probably be up there.

However, if you just want to practice tech ability, computers aren't too bad. Don't play against them too much or your metagame will take the wrong approach.

Top Bottom