• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

best way to master qac

Wrexsoul

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wrexsoul
Don't you need Tap Jump on for some characters to do up-B and up-smashes out of shield though? So if you ever think you'll play Samus or Bowser or someone who utilizes this (and I'm right about it being required, of course >_>) it might be a good idea to learn to play with tap jump on (I hardly ever jump by mistake nowadays with it enabled).

Van Jones

Smash Lord
I disagree. Control settings are all about comfort. You should have your controls set to whatever is easiest and best for your game play.

Tap jump off here. QACing around is pretty easy with tap jump off, and even if you are talking about chaining, learning to jump after each QAC isn't that hard. Matter of fact, you can chain with or without jumps so....

Lol, you have to be willing to sit down and grind away until you figure this out. It only takes a couple of minutes, but it so integral to Pika's game.

phaMR2

Smash Apprentice
<=== grinding for extended periods of time FTL.

bear makes a very good point though. basically, how much effort you put into learning it and mastering it is how much you're gonna get better as a pikachu player.

i finally got it down pat. its pretty much integrated into my gameplay! *thumbs up*

im still sad i can't quick attack lock. =(

Mushroomring

Smash Lord
i always use up to jump instead of x and y so it wasnt too hard to learn. but i tend to use over b in the mix when i mess up

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Yeah that happens to me a bit too.

Not really that much these days though.Once you learn to QAC with a nunchuch/wiimote the GC controller is a pushover.(Kinda)

Captain 9wnag3

Smash Cadet
i use the analog to jump too.
Ican QAC but i was wondering if pressing up+b as soon as i QA onto the ground counts as jumping(will it cancle the QA faster than QA ing onto the ground, jumping and then QA again)
srry if this post sounds really confusing :)

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
how do you people find these threads o.o this is over a year old (barely) please keep discussions to the threads that are recent. this question belongs in the Q&A thread (stickied at the top of the forums)

PZ

Smash Lord
It's even more frustrating for me; I only have a wiimote and nunchuk but I use the wiimote by itself. Almost impossible to qac well
aman brotha bought time i found ppl who use wiimote i qac good everywhere i only have problem qacin from the air but on the ground i can completely control it.

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
Also remember that there's a big difference in timing depending on whether or not you pass through someone. You need to go more slowly if you pass through people because of the hitlag.

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
The best way to learn anything it to do it right again and again untill you stop making mistakes.

And best way to do it right, it to do it slow.

I don't have a lot of time to invest in brawl anymore, so I concetrate on learning effeciently.
I've tried a lot of different things, and what I've found works best is.

FOR Learning new techniques, establishing new habbits:
Special brawl, Slow, 1 stock. Vs. any Lv. 9.

For Getting rid of bad habbits, and learning where you are making mistakes:
Special brawl, Slow, Stamina. You have 1 HP. Vs Any lv.9 with 150 Hp.

Do it 5 min at a time, then take breaks for HW and stuff. Crunching doesn't do any good.

Normal 3 stock matches Vs. compy's are adaquate to 'climatize' yourself back to normal speed.

Im actually taking Psycology, and quite a bit of it actually went into consideration when developing this method. As much as compy's suck... this seems to work pretty well.

[edit]
LOL, this thread is old...
I thought the OP seemed familiar :p

Kantō

Smash Champion
i find it hard to get some one into the QAC lock where you QAC into them horizontally and go back and forth. i usually end up side B'ing accendentilly or QAC in place is what messes me up.

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
welll i know this is going to sound reallly weridd.
but they way i learned to Qac Lock, (horizontal Qa) is by taughting with QA.
honestly.
I just Pikched it QA'ing back and forth from just taughtingg.

xD

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
Something I learned, is how to qa straight across the stage, with both parts of it. What I do is I qac starting at a 0 degree angle (straight across), and then I angle the control stick a little bit lower, so as it would go down if there wasn't a stage in the way, and for some reason or another, it goes straight across again, allowing for you to move very fast across the stage.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Something I learned, is how to qa straight across the stage, with both parts of it. What I do is I qac starting at a 0 degree angle (straight across), and then I angle the control stick a little bit lower, so as it would go down if there wasn't a stage in the way, and for some reason or another, it goes straight across again, allowing for you to move very fast across the stage.
That's..... pretty much how everyone has always done it, hehe.

Masterofthearts

Smash Rookie
See I know how to QAC but to perfection.....still shaky. I know there's different speeds but IDK what exactly to aim for when I go to training mode. can someone help?

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Different.... speeds? What do you mean?

Honestly, the only way to get it down is to keep practicing. There's no magic trick that'll help you get better at it all of a sudden..... just practice, practice, practice until the timing is second nature to you.

Keep in mind that if you QA through something (the opponent, some stage obstacle, etc.), you'll have to delay the timing of your jump a bit to account for hitlag.

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
Also, Even tho QaC is a good thing to know, It's not really a most for Piakchu, Now I'm not saying that QaC sucks or anything, It's really good for mind gaming, But just the fact that it is soo punishable, If used Incorrectly,

Just use it to retreat and to get around you're opponent.

One thing that just helped me,
Put Tap jump ON, and go to Training mode, and just Short Hop, and QA into the ground, but while you are Qa'ing into the ground(the anaimation of pikachu moving with QA) hold up on the Control stick, This will QaC when you land and you will have just QaC into a jump :p

-Punk-

Roller

Smash Legend
If you want to master it, whenever you're not doing anything, or just talking on the phone, or listening to music, or half watching a youtube vid on the computer, just sit down and QAC back and forth over and over. Or QAC=>SH=>QAC=>SH, w/e floats your boat. Keep doing it until it becomes second nature. That's what I did atleast..

EDIT: Not that I am saying to use it that way in a match. For the love of god. DO NOT do that.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Since standing cpu's in training mode move, I used to use luigi's mansion and brinstar to practice the delayed timing when going through an object.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
yea training mode is where its at son. I actually do qac wth y as my jump button and its worked fine for me so far. When ur on the ground and trying to practice qac just remember to hold down at the end of one quick attack in order to start the next one. for getting the speed down, learning to do it fast one angled qac's seemed to help me get the longer ones down, just like qac into the ground at a low angle then jump and do it again, reversing your direction each time so ur just qacing back and forth over and over, thats how i learned the fastest at least. and like KayLo said, if u go through an object u have to account for the hitlag, just practice in training for a bit every day and youll have it down in no time. and remember that while it looks cool, qac'ing through your opponet just looks flashy, its not a good idea in general unless your just asking for death, or your at a ridiculously high % and just wana have some fun b4 getting killed ;)

Roller

Smash Legend
i just thought i would.........
DECLARE SHENANIGANS

ROLLERKING SIGHTING
Oh Stealth, still stealing my phrases.. Some things never change.

But that advice about practicing on Luigi's Mansion for the QAC delaying objects is actually a pretty solid idea that I never thought of. Make sure to get it to be instinctive normally on FD first though.

VLD

Smash Rookie
QAC once, go half the distance of a normal QAC. HeEEEEEY ever tried it?
Too bad in brawl you can QAG efficiently. Yes, QAG.

GodlyOwnage

Smash Rookie
as stated, training mode ftw. To those who are still relatively new to it... if you in a match with a new opponent don't use it right away, w8 till you can QaC into thunder, the sounds of WTF?!? are so nice (calmly listens to screaming people while my pika does its annoyingly cute down taunt)

*clears throat* anyway yeah use it sparingly cuz your QaC is easly punishable
darn metaknight >.>

~one more thing, abouse your FFforward air with it when you do use it...it sets up so many comboes and chain throws.

Zeroxius

Smash Lord
It took me maybe two days, practicing about two hours each day to get the QAC along the ground good. I am still practicing.

Pika!

Smash Rookie
NNID
ObviouslyKorean
LoL, I used to be able to QAC pretty decently before. Now i just sux at it. My muscle memory for the move is gone=.=. I'm starting to doubt if i can ever get good with pikachu anymore.... TT.TT

Shadowtheoriginalone

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShadoAnnaru
3DS FC
4528-3417-2533
Switch FC
SW 4317 5992 9594
Do you mean angling it in the ground or doing it continuously? From the ground, Up-B, go right then angle it to the ground so you can time another jump or Up-B. To training mode!

mercy

Smash Apprentice
Performing it is actually pretty easy, incorporating it into battle effectively is the hard part.

Good luck with that.

GodlyOwnage

Smash Rookie
Actually its not that hard to use in a battle but once you abuse it its goodgame the opponent will punish you bad for it because you don't have any invincible frames when you use it. I only use it into a fast-fall-Fair to mix up my game a little, or into down-smash, or more importantly, Into thunder. (works well when you QaC to the end of stage and slide off into thunder for edgehogging. Kinda hard to do though. I did it once by accident and now im trying to re-create it lol.

Omegapaste

Smash Cadet
(works well when you QaC to the end of stage and slide off into thunder for edgehogging. Kinda hard to do though. I did it once by accident and now im trying to re-create it lol.
Using QAC to get offstage and and pull something like that out always sounds very risky to me. even though its ideal for edgeguards, I always seem to mess up even the normal QAC edgehogs from stage to ledges when I have a big pressure during the match. Especially on wi-fi I never try doign that

pikafire87

Smash Rookie
this has been super helpful.... ive got tap jump on with the wiimote/nunchuck and ive been trying to QAC forever it seems like ( IM SOOO NOOB ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY) hopefully my QAC picks up cuz pika is my main and it will be forever!!!!

WHY AM I SOO NOOB!!! =*(

pikafire87

Smash Rookie
@Kaylo - yes, i must start trying it with either a classic or a gc controller. If i cant get a hold of a gc controller, does the classic controller work just as well?

Top Bottom