• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

best way to master qac

phaMR2

Smash Apprentice
any methods or tips on learning qac? at full speed, i can qac from a 25-90 degree angle, but qac'ing at almost 0 angle its not happening. i find myself being able to do that at 1/2 and 2/3 speed, but full speed is a negatory.

looking for tips, not "use the search bar". thanks! :)

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
if you mean qacing along the ground starting at ground level, you have to angle a bit into the ground, otherwise you end up just to high for it to work, or what seems to happen to me i trigger the second part straight up.

phaMR2

Smash Apprentice
yeah, along the ground starting at ground level. so, how would you describe the "best way" of doing it? u+b, then point at 5 o'clock (going right) or 7 o'clock (going left), then quickly u+b agian, and go other direction?

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
It may seem hard then, but once you move to wifi, the difficulty level flies through the roof. you will need to have it down to muscle memory, otherwise you will flub a lot. Dont worry, this isnt too hard to get down, the applications though are the hard part.

phaMR2

Smash Apprentice
idk, its frustrating to qac along ground level and do it repeatedly. sajldaskadskjadsljasdlkasdjasdlkj

ive been working qac into every match i play, for application and exposure. thats not too much of a problem. wifi is evil though. =(

phaMR2

Smash Apprentice
oh yeah, theres SO much potential with it. as far as defensive movement and recovery. and of course the qac lockdown is pure awesomeness.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
It's even more frustrating for me; I only have a wiimote and nunchuk but I use the wiimote by itself. Almost impossible to qac well
I'm surprised you can QAC on it at all. Anyways, the best way to QAC is just try to get the rhythm of the quick attack down. With your thumb at the top of the control stick, rotate quickly to right, then slow down and rotate it to down-right.

gallax

Smash Hero
its all muscle memory. something ive noticed is that when i play brawl for an extended amount of time the take a break, i seem to improve a bit. after practicingt it for a long time take like a day break come back, and see how you well you do.

AlCaTraz644

Smash Apprentice
Qac on ground took probably a couple hours though i don't play Pikachu anymore just for friendlies sure is fun to do

gallax

Smash Hero
it took me about 30 mins to do it consistently. that means like 20 times back and forth w/o messing up. also, when i practiced, i did QAC>SH>QAC>SH.... i didnt just QAC into the ground back and forth. i put in the jump to make sure that i could muscle memorize all of it.

phaMR2

Smash Apprentice
it took me about 30 mins to do it consistently. that means like 20 times back and forth w/o messing up. also, when i practiced, i did QAC>SH>QAC>SH.... i didnt just QAC into the ground back and forth. i put in the jump to make sure that i could muscle memorize all of it.
do you use the x/y button to sh, or do you just press up on the control stick (tap jump on)? im currently using tap jump on, but if its easier to use x/y, then ill change up the routine.

Grinding FTL.
+1

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
Hey, about x-y-tap up, its up to you...I do know that tap jump off makes it easier to do aerials without wasting a second jump, as well as controlling Pit's arrows, for example, and such...however I use x to jump, since I got used to that for wavedashing in melee, so it just carried over. Plus, doing a rising Dair is really easy with X as jump, so like for Mr game and watch and Pika and MK, and chars with a good dair, its nice :)

gallax

Smash Hero
i have tap jump off and i use x to jump. the only times i ever used y to jump was with fox/falco in melee and i was trying to waveshine.

phaMR2

Smash Apprentice
so pretty much the wavedashing from melee carried over to qac for brawl. yay. i didnt play melee much at all. just went to brawl. =(

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Controllers CAN make a big difference in how well it can be done. I myself use Classic Controller (Tap Jump Off) because of how close B & Y are together. The "micro hop" (It's not really a short hop; you barely go anywhere) helps in the QAC as a bit of a pause point between inputs and conserving your second quick attack. Think:

QA->Micro hop->QA->Micro hop->QA(Whoops, just QA'd off of the edge)->QA(Now I'm back on!)
QA->QA(QA'd off of the stage again)->....(YOU MUST RECOVER! ...but you can't, because you used up all of your QAs.)

I'm not sure if that helps any... but Jumping between QACs is a good idea, IMO. It makes the whole thing easier AND conserves Quick Attacks.

phaMR2

Smash Apprentice
looking for opinions for question the third: tap jump on/off, and why?

for me, tap jump on is because it seems easier for me to do it. tapping the x/y to jump seems like work and a half, for me at least, but im sure there are others out there that DO use x/y to jump, and have no problem pulling it off.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
While that is a good idea, and I know what you mean by microhop out of the QAC, but I think that one thing to consider is that just by QACing in single increments, it allows you to have many options instead of just aerials

Edit: tap jump off, it helps so much with preventing accidental jumps, esp. with chars other than pika, such as ones with multiple jumps, and I have a feeling you won't want to change your name depending on what char you play.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
TAP JUMP OFF. so i dont go for a running usmash but JUMP. oh how it has plagued me since the original smash, and into brawl till i realised you could turn it off.

krehz

Smash Ace
HOLY CRAP I NEVER EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT TURNING IT OFF!!! wow no wonder u guys can utilt so much effin better than me!>!?!?!?!? U have no idea how happy i am now :D like really :p like seriously..... :D

krehz

Smash Ace
lol sometimes i amaze myself!!!!! and yes...... lol pika is a part of my team :p

Top Bottom