• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Version of Melee?

Beat!

Smash Master
I'd say Armada, Calle W, IVP, Hack and prolly Leffen are our top 5 atm, which would put Nizro somewhere between 6-10 (although I think there's a lot of competition between those spots).

A swedish player who's actually good would need to confirm this, though. :3

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
PAL nerfed Link's UpB. That's my one real grudge against it.

1.0 with PAL Fox and PAL Shei. That sounds good. Also PAL weights on everybody except Marth.

Fernandez

Smash Journeyman
Yeah seriously. The Dair thing with falco isn't a big deal.
Falcos dair change is really big deal imo, falco is alot better in ntsc, its way more safe to dair there, especially against characters like peach who easily cc the weak dair hit in PAL.
It's also way better for starting combos & edgegaurding.

ontopic: ntsc is more fun but pal is the best version imo, big reason for that is sheiks down trow ****** like 75% of the characters with the lame chaingrab

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Just joking of course. I'd love to see you come here and ****, especially because there's an almost criminal lack of Ganon in European high level play =D
Well it's definitely in my list to do at this point, I'd love to come chill with the EU sometime. =)

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
falco is absol****inglutely the same in pal, suck a **** if you think the weak dair hitbox is a nerf at all.

(hint: IT ISN'T.)

OverLord

Smash Ace
PAL with NTSC Marth and Ganon

Would be pretty nice

I'd say PAL version with:

- NTSC Samus
- NTSC Ganon
- NTSC Marth
- NTSC Link

and I personally think Sheik should have the NTSC Uair, but the PAL D-Throw, so the MU against Peach/Puff would be more balanced compared to what is now in PAL.

That would be sick.

Fernandez

Smash Journeyman
falco is absol****inglutely the same in pal, suck a **** if you think the weak dair hitbox is a nerf at all.

(hint: IT ISN'T.)
damn nice argument, you have no idea at all, but I wont bother because I know you're a ****ing ****** from reading your other posts.

stelzig

Smash Lord
Falcos dair change is really big deal imo, falco is alot better in ntsc, its way more safe to dair there, especially against characters like peach who easily cc the weak dair hit in PAL.
It's also way better for starting combos & edgegaurding.
I can't think of a situation where you'd want to use Dair early to hit your target (which could also get punished), except for perhaps during edgeguarding as you said.

And how is it more "safe"?

GroovyGreenHat

Smash Cadet
Extendo-grapple is too much fun, and that's NTSC only right?

That said, I've never played PAL, so I can't really know.

As a Ness player, 1.0 all the way. It's too bad that I only own 1.1 and 1.2...

Fernandez

Smash Journeyman
I can't think of a situation where you'd want to use Dair early to hit your target (which could also get punished), except for perhaps during edgeguarding as you said.

And how is it more "safe"?
I can think of 10000 situations, but il show 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajyaOV2tHl4

at 1:22 the fox is shielding and I double jump dair above him to not let him jump OoS, the fox jumps OoS with a shorthop so I hit him with the weak hit that doesnt lead to ****.
IF the fox would have full jumped, I would have hit him with the spike hitbox in both PAL and NTSC, but he shorthopped so in pal that didnt lead to anything, but if it was ntsc I would get the spike hit and maybe could have followed it up or atleast get a tech chase on this %, but if the fox had low % if would get a free combo.

I already said why its more safe, alot of characters can cc the weak hit in PAL(you don't even have to cc at really low %) and **** you then with a grab or whatever, it depens on the character you're playing against.
Ofcourse it can still be safe in PAL if you space right, but overal you just have less options with PAL dair

stelzig

Smash Lord
Are you confident it has enough hitstun with the still weak spike hitbox when he jumps oos? I imagine zgetto would be able to shine you first - and would he even have to tech it (my other response is assuming "no")? Long time since I played NTSC (especially with falco), maybe I am underestimating the power of the weak Dair).
And couldn't he also punish oos? From what I hear most falcos recommend not hitting high on people's shield with Dair because then they can punish you.
I also imagine you could just not use Dair so early and just react to him jumping Oos and use it then.

I really don't see why you want to use that weak hitbox so much.. It still seems like much less of a nerf than the ones to sheik, marth fox.

Edit: Ah, and that situation is actually somewhat also one of those I thought of earlier - could lead to an edgeguard with PAL hitbox, so I wouldn't call that nothing either... But yeah I don't know if I like your approach there in the first place :p

Fernandez

Smash Journeyman
Does the NTSC dair late hit even has less hitstun?
about him shining me, it depends on when he jumps.
If you see he stays in his shield all the time you can adapt and space the dair so its not oos punishable, or do the late dair PAL style, reacting to foxs 1 frame jump is really hard -.-
Pretty much all I wrote doesn't work all the time obviously, it depends what the opponent does, but what im trying to say is that NTSC dair spike just gives more/better/safer options.

It is less of a nerf then marth, sheik and foxs ones, but its still a really big one, i didn't think it was that big of a deal till I got NTSC myself and found out that theres so much more stuff you can do there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCTDso5yiOo 4:31 the marth couldn't do anything, that dair covered everything

I may post more clips if I can find it

LLDL

Smash Hero
Between 1.0 and 1.2, the majority of the Melee community don't differentiate between version. Playing on a specific NTSC version is only true for a very particular crowd of players. As for PAL, most of us in NTSC haven't touched PAL, as most PAL players haven't touched NTSC. I don't differentiate between the balance changes either. I may notice that a character may be harder, or easier to play against. The game is still essentially exactly the same. 1.0 is probably the best version, because it is the original. 1.2 is the most played Melee version to date, so it is the tournament standard. That's pretty much all there is on that subject. If you want to argue balance changes and stuff, that's more viable, but the issue of tournament standard based on chances per version is just pointless. 1.2 is them most widely available, so we use that.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Between 1.0 and 1.2, the majority of the Melee community don't differentiate between version. Playing on a specific NTSC version is only true for a very particular crowd of players. As for PAL, most of us in NTSC haven't touched PAL, as most PAL players haven't touched NTSC. I don't differentiate between the balance changes either. I may notice that a character may be harder, or easier to play against. The game is still essentially exactly the same. 1.0 is probably the best version, because it is the original. 1.2 is the most played Melee version to date, so it is the tournament standard. That's pretty much all there is on that subject. If you want to argue balance changes and stuff, that's more viable, but the issue of tournament standard based on chances per version is just pointless. 1.2 is them most widely available, so we use that.
Check the title, then delete your post.

LLDL

Smash Hero
It was in response to some of the conversations that are taking place in this thread.

Firoki

Smash Rookie
Does the NTSC dair late hit even has less hitstun?
about him shining me, it depends on when he jumps.
If you see he stays in his shield all the time you can adapt and space the dair so its not oos punishable, or do the late dair PAL style, reacting to foxs 1 frame jump is really hard -.-
Pretty much all I wrote doesn't work all the time obviously, it depends what the opponent does, but what im trying to say is that NTSC dair spike just gives more/better/safer options.

It is less of a nerf then marth, sheik and foxs ones, but its still a really big one, i didn't think it was that big of a deal till I got NTSC myself and found out that theres so much more stuff you can do there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCTDso5yiOo 4:31 the marth couldn't do anything, that dair covered everything

I may post more clips if I can find it
He didn't stage tech, otherwise he could've recovered and won that match:bee:

Kira-

Smash Champion
So basically people want the most balanced version of Melee (as is obvious from all the "PAL Fox but NTSC Marth" posts). This means we should now make this a discussion about which version is more balanced.

Unfortunately, I think the most imbalanced version is probably the most fun.

Jeapie

Smash Journeyman
I did not read the entire discussion about falco`s down air but trust me

my boy Fernandez is right.

falcos late spike hitbox allows you to combo it in a shine or uptilt at low %s , but also in different situations.

why?

Cause you can use the dair earlier so that you have less lagg when L-canceling, ( or when used very early l canceling wont even be neccasary )

Falcos late dair hitbox sends the opponent flying horizontal.

But thats just an example. Just watch PP vs armada best set ever pound5 GF.

A lot of those combos pp did there where down air was used, could not be done in PAL.
Armada would have hitted PP with a nair to break out, im sure.

Fernandez and I play both games (ntsc and pal 2 different games lol ) and not all differences have been found.

To me personally , the worst thing about ntsc is fox his fire. His fire hitbox is so huge that when i want to gimp a fox is ntsc i get burned instead and die.

Other then that

<3 NTSC

Oh yeah and this, if hax is ever going to be attending to a europe tournament He will get 1st place.
Automatic gentleman in PALgives falcon so many more ( safe ) options.

Fuzzyness , pamaro and me need to get on his level lol

Top Bottom