• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best secondary for ROB?

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
What would the best secondary be to use when ROB just won't cut it? Yes we all know MK can second anyone, but other than that?

Edit: The other characters I've used a lot are Lucas, Snake, Pit, Wolf, and Luigi, so if one of those works it would be easiest

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Well, usually a character that is the opposite of ROB is a good idea. Fox or Falco, Game and Watch, Snake...

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
G&W covers all the matchups I wouldn't use R.O.B. on

like for C. Falcon, etc. those matches aren't important since they both lose

But for instance, take these matchups

Dedede: Can CG ROB, cannot CG G&W (I would still use R.O.B. for this match)
Metaknight: ***** ROB, doesn't completely **** G&W
Zelda: even for ROB, G&W destroys the matchup
Pit: very tough for campy ROBs, G&W eliminates that problem

Also in reverse, there are matchups ROB is great for that G&W sucks at

Falco: G&W is ***** by CG and blasters, ROB gimps at like 20
Snake: never use G&W against snake, ROB beats Snake
Marth: never use G&W against Marth, But ROB does just fine

ElPadrino

Smash Apprentice
I use both ROB and Wolf.

And I find they are very good alts for one another since their games are completely diferent and it's good for throwing people out of their game.

However Wolf gets ***** by a lot of characters, so someone like GaW would be a better choice.

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
Snake is easily the best secondary. he covers GNW and that's really robs only huge downfall. with enough practice you can run even against MK with your ROB

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
ROB ***** Snake...
However, you are at a disadvantage to MK, you can certainly beat them. I don't have too much of a problem with MKs, believe it or not. You just have to get around his moves, however fast they are.

GaW is definitely the best choice.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar

lolwut? G&W is Falco's worst matchup. He utterly destroys Falco.

Ironically, ROB is one of MK's best secondaries, since theoretically an MK should only have trouble with Snake, and ROB is probably Snake's worst matchup.

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
wait Jcaesar is right. MK is the best secondary for anyone.

.... that is til you end up maining him because you stop losing.

buenob

Smash Lord
i like pikachu, he's not CG'able, and he plays close enough to rob's style that it's possible to pick him up easy enough (lol that dodge->dsmash reflex won't hurt you too much)... also IC's are a good choice... mostly, I find that ROB only starts to fail against the chain-throwers // uber spammers (the ones with higher priority / quicker projectiles than rob) so anyone good against them will do

i would personally avoid GAW solely because so many people play him, if you're actually "seconding" him, people will have a tonne of experience against that character and you will get @#$^ through the pants...

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Although I can't ever pick through mains or secondaries for any extended period of time, ROB and GW is something I always can fall back to.

I think GW covers everything (except mk but who does?) for ROB and vice versa. I'm confident enough in my GW for dittos =p.

Snake would probally be another great choice but I'm not as familiar with the match ups. =\

Ruse

Fox
G&W covers Falco, DDD, Peach, and Mario better than R.O.B. He also goes neutral with himself (duh) and stands more of a chance against MK. I also like using the 2D terror more against the more annoying characters (like Zelda) that aren't counters but are a pain in the a**.

Going Snake or MK seriously is depressing, and Snake doesn't even really cover the DDD match-up, imo.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
This thread actually did help me a bit. My alt is mainly going to be my G&W counter, which is going to be either Mk or Marth. Whichever one works best for me is goin on my main list. Atm it looks like Mk (hey I wonder why) but I'm not sure if I REALLY want to use him cuz I'll be accused of using a cheap char, I'm a nub who needs Mk to win, ect.

Sudai

Stuff here
If you start using MK for GnW, it will spread to using him for more and more characters because, hey, why not? He does better against them anyway.

Oh, and MK doesn't beat GnW as hard anymore. Bucket Breaking makes GnW live forever against MK.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
I'm not gonna main him.....just whenever i face a G&W I dont think my R.O.B. can handle he'll come out. Sudai is also telling me about Lucario. HE may be an option as well.

zzz99

Smash Apprentice
i second snake, mainly because i never had as much fun with anyone else :\
G&W is good, but i got really bored of him after a while
Snake is also pretty good i believe, since he kills G&W, and that's the only matchup i might consider using someone else for
otherwise i just use ROB...even MK is able to be dealt with after a while, Zelda is around even, haven't played a mario...and i just all around prefer ROB
but then again, i might end up switching secondaries again anyway
i'm not very good with having fun with anyone but ROB :\

reason why i choose snake isn't because of the matchups, it's because he
a) kills so much better
b) lives to even higher percents
c) is fun to camp with

mainly a because if i want to be killing things faster (lucario, for example) snake kills much earlier than ROB does (stupid ftilts + utilts ftw!)

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Snake used to be my "for fun" character but he may become my secondary. Certainly a good choice vs G&W and MK, but he's also just a really fun character to use. I was only skeptical at first because I despise Metal Gear Solid.

Ruse

Fox
I wouldn't avoid MK just because you're afraid of getting s*** for him. That's stupid. If you enjoy MK then use him, and to hell anyone.

I don't use MK for serious matches because I personally don't like using a super broken character (I'd never alt Snake or D3, either), not because I'm afraid of being ostracized. I feel pretty bad using G&W, since he is pretty broken, but he's got quite a few bad match-ups (Diddy, Snake, MK) and some others that just aren't too favorable (Marth). I would still use him even if people got angry at me for it, just because he's fun as hell. Truth be told, I did pick up as an alt to cover match-ups, but now I really like the little b******.

@ Sudai: Bucket braking is seriously amazing.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Eh, Snake isn't that broken, he's got more counters than the rest of the top tiers combined
/hyperbole

But seriously he has a lot of bad matchups.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Question: Would Bowser be okay for a secondary? Not necessarily "good", per say, but okay? Next to ROB and Pokemon Trainer, he's my favorite character, and in several matchups where ROB lacks (like Metaknight,) Bowser suceeds.

$haDy

Smash Apprentice
Well I secondary bowser aswell but he is still screwed for the DDD match since he can be infinited chain grabbed.Game & Watch and mk aren't too bad of a match up.

If I was being honest it is not the greatest since you are screwed over even more by DDD.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Well I secondary bowser aswell but he is still screwed for the DDD match since he can be infinited chain grabbed.Game & Watch and mk aren't too bad of a match up.

If I was being honest it is not the greatest since you are screwed over even more by DDD.
To my knowledge (or at least through who I've faced,) Dedede isn't too bad for ROB, so that shouldn't be of too much trouble.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621

Well, G&W has a thing called a Bucket for them lasers. Honestly, Falco is horrible against G&W.

On Topic - Snake, Mr. Game and Watch, Metaknight (last resort only), and maybe King Dedede

Ruse

Fox
Diddy Kong covers DDD, Mario, G&W, and goes about even with MK.

But he sadly doesn't cover Peach or Falco, which are annoying match-ups, but unlike G&W, MK, and DDD (imo), not too bad.

Snake or G&W still seem to be the best choices, but G&W isn't that great against MK and Snake gets stomped by D3 and doesn't do too hot against Falco.

Sudai

Stuff here
I play Lucario vs Falco -just- because using ROB against Falco is such a stupid fight. I don't even care that he doesn't hard counter ROB, it's just a really, really annoying fight.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
How does Lucario do against Falco anyway? I need a Falco counter desperately and I can't stand the ROB v. Falco fight.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
G&W and MK are the only characters that outright beat Falco that I know of. I could see him losing to some random low tier like Lucas or something though.

Ruse

Fox
Fighting Falco sucks, seriously. G&W vs Falco all the way.

Edit: Also, Marth.

40:60 MK (better chance than R.O.B.).
Almost even D3 (45:55).
60:40ish G&W.
60:40 Falco.
60:40 Peach.
65:35 Mario.

How did we forget Marth?

Ruse

Fox
...Uhm. I honestly don't really understand whatever message you were trying to convey.

Your wording is really odd. I'm also tired and jacked up on caffeine, so, I could just be delirious.

Anyways, yeah, Marth would seriously be the best imo for a ROB alt. Then G&W. Then Snake. Then Diddy. MK would work better than all of those, but MK is for the weak.

WarmSoda

Smash Apprentice
Fighting Falco sucks, seriously. G&W vs Falco all the way.

Edit: Also, Marth.

60:40 MK.
Almost even D3 (45:55).
60:40ish G&W.
60:40 Falco.
60:40 Peach.
65:35 Mario.

How did we forget Marth?
Ruse, what your saying is that, against MK, there is a 60:40 chance in marths favor, correct? If so, I gatta lot of work to do...

P.S. Excuse the grammar and spelling errors. I'm posting on my iPod. :p

Top Bottom