• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Reflector?

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Some people think that all reflectors are the same... but that's probably one of the biggest lies ever. Each character with a Reflector has some different properties. Mario's Cape gives horizontal air distance, turns foes around, but is slower than some other reflectors. Fox can keep his up for however long he wants. Zelda's acts as an attack, as well, with considerable knockback. Also, it seems like whenever a reflector battle takes place, certain characters always lose. Like when I was Mario and I had a Reflector battle with Fox, I won. Each time. About 20 times. Are certain reflectors more resistant to breaking? I also always beat Pit. Always. So I wander...

Who's Reflector is most versatile?
Who's Reflector is most resistant to breakage?

Discuss. Or should I have put this in Tactical Discussion?:dizzy:

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
All reflectors have the same breakage resistance.

Wolf's is the "best"
Pit's is great, because it protects from tabuu's attacks (but not from behind)

Ness's is 2nd worst because of the startup lag,
Rob's is the worst because it's weak, has startup lag AND ending lag, and also the ability to angle it
really doesn't help.

pensfan728

Smash Apprentice
Most versatile is Pit's obviously. It can flip like Mario's in the first few frames, gives you super armor, and protects from physical attacks. Plus if you use it in the air, you can still di, unlike one of the spacies.

/bias

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
The "Best" reflector would be the one Fox/Falco uses, as it can even be kicked!!

But I know that's not what you meant.

Pit's because of the two people above me.

Worst is still ROB's.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
I was gonna guess at Pit's, too. Because it can be held out, as well as all the other properties listed above. However, I also want to hear the opinions of other, as well.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
For a player who depends heavily on Reflectors (you can't be safe if you don't have one in Brawl due to the sheer amount of campy, spammy, projectile addicts) I didn't know Wolf's Reflector had invinicible frames, nor did I know Pit's had Super Armor frames. But I guess that's because I don't main them.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
you're slightly over exaggerating. you don't NEED a reflector to be safe. you need good timing, and skill to dodge and outmaneuver the spammed projectiles.

in fact, if you follow ankoku's tourney list, the most played character with a decent spammable projectile (i'm hardly about to count g&w's chef, or anything snake has) is falco, and he's 7th.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Links and Toon Links shields. =P
jk jk, but they don't break

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
you're slightly over exaggerating. you don't NEED a reflector to be safe. you need good timing, and skill to dodge and outmaneuver the spammed projectiles.

in fact, if you follow ankoku's tourney list, the most played character with a decent spammable projectile (i'm hardly about to count g&w's chef, or anything snake has) is falco, and he's 7th.
well i was kinda jokin about how brawl's metagame consists of alot of spam.

Zevox

Smash Lord
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with all the subtleties of many of them - Pit's having super armor frames is news to me, for instance - but from what I know, I'd say one of the Star Fox crew is likely on top overall. Fox's comes out fast as hell, can air-stall, and works nicely for knocking foes away off-stage; Falco's doubles as a short-range projectile that is fantastic for interrupting enemy attacks and can cause tripping; and Wolf's, while not able to be used offensively nearly as well as his counterparts', grants him a brief instant of true invincibility. I'm honestly not sure which of the three I'd put as best between them though.

In terms of versatility, I think pensfan made a good case for Pit's Mirror Shield.

For worst... yeah, R.O.B.'s probably takes that prize. Too much lag involved, and he needs to angle it well for it to work.

Zevox

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
if it comes to using a reflector effectively against projectiles then it's Falco's, but overall best reflector, I have to say it Pit depending on good timing and spam attacks of course.

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
I'll try and remain unbiased here. I'd say the worst has to be ROBs because of the extensive lag and proper angling needed for it to work. As for the best, I'd prefer Pit's because it can block physical attacks as well as offer DI in the air. Falco's would come in second because it can stop approachs and functions as a short ranged projectile as well as a reflector.

Kingdrom

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I think Pit's lasts forever if it isn't hit.

I've begun to start liking Mario's Cape because of the sheer amount of people you are able to gimp the recoveries of. Even if it isn't a good option for dealing damage, the sheer mindgames it causes (to cape or not to cape) is worth it. I haven't found Falco's reflector to be nearly as useful when compared to Fox's. And Wolf's is even better than the two.

AnAardvark

Smash Journeyman
Can't believe nobody has said this yet. Sheik's reflector is the worst. Yeah, her Side-B reflects. But you have to sweet spot it and it's pretty lame. Sort of like an add-on kind of thing. And for the best reflector, I'd have to say Wolf's, because of the invincibility frames and because it's pink-ish.

Patinator

Smash Champion
I'd have to go with Wolf. It can be used as an attack a lot more often than Fox's due to its greater range, and is effectively a counter move due to its Air Dodge-esque invincibility. I'm not just saying this because my main is Wolf, either.

At the same time, R.O.B.'s is the worst overall. When it comes to reflecting capabilities, I'd say the same: Wolf's the best via the speed, while R.O.B. and Mario are the worst, due to the start-up and wind-down lag on their Arm Rotor and Cape, respectively.

Foxy

Smash Master
Pit's is really great.

Speaking of reflectors, I was just playing some Melee as Marth vs. my friend's Ness and he juggled me and followed up with a PK Thunder and I parried it, it went in his direction, hit him, and made him suicide.

Too good.

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
Fox's reflector is the most offensive out of any reflector, yet still has the property of being able to be out indefinitely and having the ability to stall Fox's decent for tricking opponents on when you'll Fox Illusion back on the stage.

Fox can actually spike and has decent knockback at higher percents. Wolf's reflector doesn't spike, at least, why would you want to when D Air can spike much more reliably.

As far as characters who RELY on their reflectors the most, it's easily also Fox again. No other character uses the reflector as much, except for POSSIBLY some Falco playstyles.

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
Reflector Award #112
Functionality to trip: Falco's Shine

Reflector Award #113
Most Shiny: Falco's Shine

Reflector Award #114
Laggiest: Falco's Shine

Allied

Smash Master
I enjoy falco's because its ranged, has a trip guarentee to it, and is the starter to a good combo with him

Mahjix

Smash Cadet
Since I play with Falco quite often, by default I would say his.
Thinking about it in terms of defense and offense I still say his.
The idea of tossing a reflector is amazing itself. Just imagine if someone were standing just 5 feet in front of him and you decide to shoot something at him. When he reflects the shot the person who shot at him will more than likely be hit with the shot and Falco's reflector.

WolFlash

Smash Cadet
Wolf's reflector starts a little later than Fox's but he dodges any attack in that startup period (good dodge counter attack), Pit's Mirror Shield protects against rushes to the side he's facing which makes it useful, Zelda's has too much of a time difference between reflections to be all that good, but even though they aren't proper reflectors Link and TLink's shields reflect some projectile's and stop most as long as they hit the shield part, and they don't have to be initiated to work.

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
Wolf's Reflector is my favorite, probably for the same reason WolFlash stated. It also looks cool.

bioniclekid8

Smash Cadet
it has a bigger hit range than fox's i guess?

fox reflector ftw, its good for stopping many moves, even can save you if you use it while being launched, it can sometimes stop all momentom

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Wolfs reflector counters a lot of moves, thanks to invincibility frames...

Fox:

+ fast
+ spikes
+ 0 lag
- doesn't slow down his fall
- little counter ability
- little range

Falco:

+ Disjointed
+ Fast
+ Good range
+ Good edgeguarding move
- Doesn't last long
- Leaves Falco open, if it misses

Wolf:

+ Invincibility frames
+ Decent range
+ Great counter move
+ little startuo lag
+ Works against ~90% of enemies attacks
- big ending lag
- little damage
- not a good edgeguarding/piking move

Mario:

+ Gimps easily
+ Leaves enemy open if timed well
+ Good range
+ Little lags
- Doesn't last long
- Fails against Dsmashes

Pit:

- Sux

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
I think fox has a solid reflector, i mean cmon, its THE reflector.

Lucas has a great reflector too....both of Lucas` are pretty good.

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
Everyone already said this, but i gotta say Falco, Wolf and Pit

...Wolf's the best of the 3.

Top Bottom