• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Programming Language for Absolute Beginner?

Superstar

Smash Champion
HTML isn't programming at all, so you know. CSS is just making HTML pretty, PHP is actual programming, albeit simple and may actually get you into habits.

I learned a tiny bit of C, then restarted C++ recently. Yes, C++ is better to start on. Dum C pitfalls.

http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html

This is pretty good, but it sort of expects prior programming knowledge. It expects C, but any programming language should be good enough.

The cplusplus.com tutorials are also pretty nice.

I would actually recommend reading up on binary and hexadecimal before going on to any programming. It might actually help you understand what's under the hood.

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
Superstar: I know, but I have some HTML and CSS books at home, so why not.

I know the basics of binary and hex.(Wii hacking does teach some things!)

Anyway, I have a basic HTML page made, expanding now, so far so good!

meta master

Smash Journeyman
In school, we learned Java to introduce OOP. I find it fairly simple but i have a analytical mind so yeah... If you don't have that kind of reasoning or logical thinking skills, then.... I dunno. That's kinda what programming is about.

meta master

Smash Journeyman
Superstar: I know, but I have some HTML and CSS books at home, so why not.

I know the basics of binary and hex.(Wii hacking does teach some things!)

Anyway, I have a basic HTML page made, expanding now, so far so good!
IMO, CSS is pretty hard.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I just started learning Python tonight. I have no reason to learn it, really, other than feeling more well-rounded as an amateur programmer.
Well, the main reason is that C++ sucks with large numbers, and Python doesn't care how big they are at all.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
i'd say python is slightly more intuitive than other languages, but just tough it out and learn java or c++. You'll definately learn what you need to know with either of those and the basic scheme for those is common through out all oo(object oriented) languages. I personally think that learning oo first makes more sense since its really the most useful and then if you want to understand programming more deeply you can learn c and it won't be as hard.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah I'm not dropping C++ or anything. I just like learning new languages.
Except Java. I'm not learning Java. Doesn't look all that fun to work with.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Anyone know of sites like Project Euler? I have spent the last two days trying to solve the easier ones, but my math skills are seriously lacking to be able to grasp what to do.

Masky

Smash Master
Using external libraries doesn't really make anything easier or harder, Python just basically includes them for you. What you're really talking talking about is that Python uses dynamic typing, which allows a large number data type to be seamlessly used just as regular ints are, while C++ uses static typing.

That seamlessness comes at a cost, though. Personally, I'd argue that dynamic typing makes development more difficult in the long run. With a dynamically typed language, type checking is performed during run-time, not compile time as with a statically typed language. If you're using a statically typed language, you will immediately become aware of any type-related bugs at compile time. Discovering bugs at compile-time instead of putting it off until the testing phase is obviously much more beneficial. And any non-trivial program WILL have bugs.

Not to say that there aren't arguments for using dynamically typed languages though, I guess it's mostly a matter of opinion or it depends on the specific application :p

edit: (replying the OP) on the topic of the best programming language for beginners, I'd personally say Java.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
This thread is talking about programming for beginners. I'm well aware of the typing issues in Python, and differences between the two. but when it comes to beginners learning programming, Java is loaded with syntax that will make the learning process slower. Python is about as simple as it can be for beginners.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
C++ has been REALLY easy for me, but I have run into a few very large numbers with Project Euler. Solved with a simple unsigned long long.

My biggest problem is I can't think like a programmer yet. I've improved 10-fold, but I still am not thinking large enough to do the damage I need to. Functions, Arrays, and Pointers also went over my head, so I need to spend time rereading that stuff.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
CK, we should get on ventrilo and fileshare your code and then chat about those topics. They're all pretty essential. Just wait til you start working with recursive functions. Talk about a mind****.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
CK, we should get on ventrilo and fileshare your code and then chat about those topics. They're all pretty essential. Just wait til you start working with recursive functions. Talk about a mind****.
PM me your name. I'll get on it asap.

StoneColdBeast

Smash Cadet
Yeah I'm not dropping C++ or anything. I just like learning new languages.
Except Java. I'm not learning Java. Doesn't look all that fun to work with.
What! Java is a silky smooth, beautiful language (heh, I know what you're referring to though, the lack of control Java often offers, like memory management, etc.) We were forced to use Java at U.I.L. programming competitions in high school (in Texas that is.) I dunno, it actually is really nice language though aesthetically, and it has cool built in tools like ArrayLists and built in Strings <<

As far as a beginner programming language, I'd say Java or C++. I actually learned PASCAL first, it's a very straightforward procedural programming language but it's vastly out of date, it was purely academic. However, I really think Java or C++ (and really C++ because it doesn't force you to be object oriented like Java) should be used to start out. They're very relevant to the programming world, they're powerful, etc. For a frame of reference, I'd say C and PEARL would be difficult to start out with.

Also, PHP is a scripting language :dizzy:

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Stupid question, but I need it written down: I want to do freelance programming on the side. What should I absolutely know? I am familiar with CSS, HTML, and C++. What else so I can do a good job with any freelance assignment. Where can I find such work (@ Buzz).

I am learning Android once I get C++ down for personal and professional reasons (work is really letting me be free to do whatever). I know for web development I should learn PHP and XHTML, but I want to be rounded in software and web development so I can handle any obstacles.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I'd say C, C++, some C#, Python, Visual Basic, maybe RoR doubt it though Python is usually more common, PHP, Java, uhm...

I don't think you'd need PERL, but if youre working with older stuff then it is a possibility.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Forgot to mention I need to learn Visual Basic .net for work.

Thanks for the list, Chaco.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
If you know HTML you don't really need to "learn" XHTML, they're basically the same (certainly similar enough that you don't need to spend time learning XHTML).

Javascript is good for web stuff too, it's all about Web 2.0 dude.

C/C++ is a good foundation. Dunno much about what people will pay you for if you're freelancing but I'd guess there'd be a lot of people interested in web programming (so mostly PHP and Javascript, I'd say). I vote Java over C# but they're supposed to be kind of similar (I've only used Java).

Python's good to learn too, even if just for your own edification. Maybe LISP down the line to make you think about different programming paradigms (though you can do functional programming with Python too).

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Loooool Python's mad easy, too (at least from my short experience with it). But it's kinda bad doing it first because all the variables are initialized the same way; they are separated according to how you define it (if you assign it a number, it becomes a number; if you assign a string, it becomes a string; etc.) so it didn't help me get into other languages.

Top Bottom