• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Programming Language for Absolute Beginner?

Cloud XV

Smash Cadet
I was just in the same boat you are in, I started learning C# and it is a very user friendly programming language to learn. I got about 1/3rd trough the language and then figured out I was actually gonna be taking C++ in college so I switched.

But I would recommend C# for a beginner language.
Heres a wiki book on it.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/C_Sharp_Programming

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
Whoops. So java, C, or C#.

Well, for you guys to help, I guess I need to tell you what I wanna do. Well, I really just want to get a grasp on how computers work, in general. Also, I run Windows XP, in case that helps.

EDIT: I've heard good and bad things about python, and terrible things about C for beginners, so swap those two.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
C++ or C# are both excellent options, although it really doesn't hurt to do something far more basic while you familiarize yourself with how programming actually works. Once you learn the basic logic, you can apply the ideas to almost any language once you learn the syntax, and you are well on your way.

I started programming way back in QBasic, GW-Basic, and learned the easy way how to use different types of loops, arrays, variables, etc. These are some of the very basic building blocks of programming.

It may be that people will learn just as fast on the fly with one of the more useful languages like C++ or Java, but I started with the EASY stuff, and it really helped me get my mind around what programming is like. It only took me 2 months from day 1 to have coded my own pacman game, complete with AI in basic. It'd be a little bit harder today with C++ or something, but still, programming is not that hard.

noradseven

Smash Lord
you guys must be smoking stuff, C != easy beginner language, C# and C++ are better but still, java is easier, python even more so.

Basic is easy too but its also kinda of a jerk sometimes and gets picky.

java is kinda **** if you want to do multithreading(NOT BEGINNER STUFF), python even more so, but they are easy and the compliers kinda do the work for you.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
No one asked about an easy beginner language, just a beginner language.

You can learn programming, or you can learn programming correctly. :p

(I'm being intentionally antagonistic. But seriously, there are merits to starting with something like C vs. something like Python. I say this as someone who started by learning PHP. C will take longer to get your head around, but I think starting at a lower-level like C gives you a better foundation to learn something like Python or C++ or Java later. Easier than going the other way, anyway.)

Superstar

Smash Champion
I agree with Kirby King. But at the same time I don't think Java really is that easy for beginners. At least in the earlier levels there are way too many concepts you have to learn before you can even start. And Java babies you so much that moving on is a pain.

I would say actually that C > C++ to start off with. Not an easier language to do well with of course, but at the lower levels there are less stuff to get all confused on, worst is probably pointers which helps a lot in understanding other language even for minor bit operations.

I can't do neither C nor C++ well enough though. I blame Java. Learned C# fairly easily though.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I agree that C could be better to start with, except that no one is really developing in C anymore, compared to the wealth of opportunities that being a C++ developer would open up, career-wise. It's just adding a complication to learn C first, when you know you'll be using C++ as soon as you know what you're doing anyways. Might as well just start with C++.

If you just want to learn something easy to break you in, I recommend a version of Basic, like BlitzBasic. You can get the book with a CD at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Programming-Teens-Maneesh-Sethi/dp/1592000681

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
You might want to check out:
http://projecteuler.net/

It's basically a site giving you incrementally harder challenges for coding projects. As you go through them, you'll end up teaching yourself a TON about coding.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I recommend spending a good amount of time working with prime number programs and sorting programs. Both of these are good at teaching you some important programming axioms:
1. There's almost always a more efficient way to do whatever you just did.
2. You should always look at other people's code for similar tasks to compare your logic to theirs and consider if you could have optimized yours better.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
My first language was PHP (at the time, PHP 4 was a new thing), when I was starting to learn at the age of 10 by myself.

Superstar

Smash Champion
I recommended C simply because C++ builds on C [with some differences, but I disgress]. Once you learn C, moving on to C++ shouldn't be too difficult, and if you ever look at a C library or something you'll know how C++ differs from C.

Still, if you are able to learn C++ from scratch, that may be better than just C since C++ is used a lot more. Just don't use an online tutorial. It'll help you a bit, but C++ is a very, very tricky language to learn. Do yourself justice and buy a good book or take a C++ class.

I'll try that project Euler, that should be very helpful.

noradseven

Smash Lord
Php isn't considered a programing language by most people.

I recommended C simply because C++ builds on C [with some differences, but I disgress]. Once you learn C, moving on to C++ shouldn't be too difficult, and if you ever look at a C library or something you'll know how C++ differs from C.

Still, if you are able to learn C++ from scratch, that may be better than just C since C++ is used a lot more. Just don't use an online tutorial. It'll help you a bit, but C++ is a very, very tricky language to learn. Do yourself justice and buy a good book or take a C++ class.

I'll try that project Euler, that should be very helpful.
Who uses c++, every business I know uses C#, and a few use objective-C, and some use C/C++ for legacy **** but still...

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Most websites I know code their infrastructure in PHP :V

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
I guess some people don't consider web languages programming languages.

I started with C++. The language isn't really that important, it is the logic and problem solving skills that you develop.

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
I'm trying to learn C++ for the most part, mainly to do a Brawl+ Updater/Installer for Homebrew :ohwell:

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Who uses c++, every business I know uses C#, and a few use objective-C, and some use C/C++ for legacy **** but still...

If you look at job postings for programming, they are 90% either Java or C++. It changes over time, and Ruby on Rails and C# are both picking up steam, but Java and C++ will be around for a long time still.

noradseven

Smash Lord

If you look at job postings for programming, they are 90% either Java or C++. It changes over time, and Ruby on Rails and C# are both picking up steam, but Java and C++ will be around for a long time still.
IDK why I forgot about java considering how much I was talking about earlier yeah ppl def use that alot... but C++ I seriously don't know anyone who has used it in there job... hell C++ was the first language I learned. It might just be my area though, or just random odds of me not knowing C++ programmers, who knows :dizzy:.

Doesn't matter though learn just 1 of the Cs and you should be fine, well obj-C is kinda weird but the other ones are all extremely similar, to the point where you could pick up what you don't know on the job easy.

Superstar

Smash Champion
What does portable mean? USB stick? if so Dev C++ should be pretty good [MAYBE].

Either way, I always prefer programming on my desktop for some reason. Either it's that it's more powerful, more comfortable, larger screen? I don't know.

And norad, that's just what I hear. Maybe you're right, but I always hear C++ this, C++ that.

noradseven

Smash Lord
What does portable mean? USB stick? if so Dev C++ should be pretty good [MAYBE].

Either way, I always prefer programming on my desktop for some reason. Either it's that it's more powerful, more comfortable, larger screen? I don't know.

And norad, that's just what I hear. Maybe you're right, but I always hear C++ this, C++ that.
But its not a bad idea C++ is a C language with lots of guides on it but as for starters I would still stick to something that doesn't have the letter C in it.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dev-C++ is a good compiler for beginners. I found it by FAR the most intuitive.

I still don't see why C++ wouldn't be good for beginners. What are more simple options? When it comes down to it, programming isn't noob-friendly overall, and it's not like there's this perfect easy intuitive language.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I found PHP silly easy. I understood it prior to knowing anything about programing. From working with websites, I could easily search for the code that was causing me trouble and fix it.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I found PHP silly easy. I understood it prior to knowing anything about programing. From working with websites, I could easily search for the code that was causing me trouble and fix it.

Yeah If you know HTML, PHP isn't all that hard to decipher. I started with PHP back like 5 years ago. Never got very far at all, but with 15 years of HTML experience, it came pretty easy.

Superstar

Smash Champion
C++ is harder on beginners than Java/C# obviously. But it's still a good starting language because it prepares you for harder stuff rather than babying you, and in C++, in the beginning, you can learn one thing at a time [in Java you have to either teach all that object/Main stuff off the bat or say "we'll come back to it later]. In C++, functional programming can be learned before object oriented.

C++ is not as user friendly though. If you're self taught, I don't know about self teaching C++. It's not very nice to you like that.

EDIT: Obviously, this is a rephrase of a lot of other junk said in this topic.

Beam Sword of Death

Smash Cadet
Grand Forks, North Dakota AKA The Frozen Tundra
C++ is harder on beginners than Java/C# obviously. But it's still a good starting language because it prepares you for harder stuff rather than babying you, and in C++, in the beginning, you can learn one thing at a time [in Java you have to either teach all that object/Main stuff off the bat or say "we'll come back to it later]. In C++, functional programming can be learned before object oriented.

C++ is not as user friendly though. If you're self taught, I don't know about self teaching C++. It's not very nice to you like that.

EDIT: Obviously, this is a rephrase of a lot of other junk said in this topic.
yeah I tried a long time ago to teach myself C++ and I epically failed.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm self-taught in C++.

I'm not GOOD or anything, to be fair. But it's really not that bad. I just have a ton of C++ books, and I use google a lot.

Superstar

Smash Champion
I self taught C++, but when I tried applying it I failed, hard.

Apparently C++ for Dummies teaches C styled C++, and is therefore pretty useless.

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
YOW! C++ is confusing!! :psycho:Not to mention impossible to find a good tutorial. I'll try HTML.

EDIT: I like it!!:joyful: I'll try this road map: HTML-->CSS-->PHP--C++-->Umm...Something else.:laugh:

Top Bottom