• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best DI?

mateo101

Smash Cadet
im just wondering wat would shiekz best DI be after getting hit up. I usually just use her dair because i figure the downward momentum would stop her. butt it never works past like 90%. so does anyone else use anything differnt? im thinking holding down and using c-stick up might work ive seen sum sonic players do that.

any thoughts

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
DI is not character specific.

This thread will explain DI to you.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=221969
The thing is, is that characters have better aerials to slow their momentum than another character, or they have different aerials that are better suited when flying off the stage upward or toward the side. For example, for the characters I know best, when Peach is knocked toward the side of the stage, her best DI is hold up on Control stick -> Uair -> Fair/Toad. While for Ivysaur, When she's knocked to the side, it's control stick up -> Fair -> Dair.

In case of being sent upward, for the same characters, Peach is Nair -> Fastfall . While Ivysaur is Uair -> Fastfall.

While otherwise, as we know, GnW has the Bucket-cancel which stops his momentum completely.

As for Sheik, She has a problem with DI since her moves don't aid a particularly noticeable amount in momentum canceling. Potential momentum canceling moves for Sheik are Fair and Uair, because you have to calculate not only how fast the move is, but have fast it ends. The problem with Sheik's Dair is that it takes too long for the move to end, so you end up still drifting while she's still trying to get the move to finish, ending in a lost stock.

In my opinion, Sheik's best DI when knocked sideways is Control stick up -> Fair -> Fast fall -> Fair. It's the quickest, and ends the fastest, but it still doesn't help a whole lot, but still...

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
You should be able to survive up to at least 180% with good Joystick control during for the DI and fast Fairs.
I don't see any other move being viable to help Sheik's momentum cancel.
Dair's start up is way to slow and some times you might accidentally do the stall and just slide off to death.

Also note that you shouldn't use certain moves that aid you in a direction while to fa off near a KO Zone.
Jumping will actually send you away and not forward. Don't aerial dodge.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
Ya fairs and double jump or fast fall work well when hit off to the side...
being hit up seems worse, sometimes it seems like to me i could survive but like right after doing an fair her body goes a little higher and thats just enough to make me die.
Not sure about that though, maybe its b/c i forget to fast fall

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
yeah for DI you just have to learn how to hold a direction AS FAST AS POSSIBLE.

it helps alot if you can hold say down when you KNOW your going to get hit up but cant do anything to react to it before it hits you.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
If you have time to press down you have time to shield. And the best DI for vertical is down-right/down-left.

*Edit* Yes, you're right. As a general rule, perpindicular to trajectory is the best DI. That's the second time I've posted false information in a relatively short space of time 0_@

Villi

Smash Lord
The best DI for straight up is hard right or left. Remember that you get the most change in trajectory by being perpendicular to the angle you would be sent by default.

Start up of the hitbox doesn't matter for momentum canceling. If you're holding down while you do a c-stick aerial, you automatically fast-fall.

mateo101

Smash Cadet
so just use an attack then try to fast fall?

if i get hit by snakez up-tilt, attack fast fall down?

Villi

Smash Lord
DI up isn't necessarily the best DI for side knockback. It's more dependent on your stage position. What you want to do is DI in such a way that you'll be sent toward an upper corner. Sometimes, no DI at all is the best way to accomplish this and DI up (or up and in) would just result in a kill off the top.

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
DI up isn't necessarily the best DI for side knockback. It's more dependent on your stage position. What you want to do is DI in such a way that you'll be sent toward an upper corner. Sometimes, no DI at all is the best way to accomplish this and DI up (or up and in) would just result in a kill off the top.
True, but it's more of a general statement than gospel truth.

Top Bottom