• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best counterpick stages, and stages to ban

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I know this has probably been done before, but i see a lot of new people asking about tips for using dk, and i personally think that stages play a huge part in dk's game. So i'll list a few characters and what stages to use and why. Anyone who has a second oppinion or something else to add, be my guest.

Fox- I think Bum had it right, Jungle Japes and Brinstar are great stages to take a fox. I think Jungle Japes is by far the best though. Reason 1: That stage has an amazingly high roof. You can survive an up smash at over 100 damage there. Reason 2: Dk's recovery was made for that stage. He pretty much has a choice between 4 different ledges to grab onto at any time. Reason 3: Fast fallers just get ***** at that stage cuz of the water. As far as banning goes, i think its always a good idea to ban yoshi's island if you can. The low ceiling is a pain in the *ss.

Falco- I would have to take him to Brinstar. It takes away the spamming to a degree. The acid/lava/whatever the hell that stuff is, bounces falco up for a free move, while it can save your life. Also, if you're on the ledge, you can drop down and use your up b to clear near the edge and just regrab the ledge since you can move through it. Falco has the advantage at so many stages, its hard to know which one to ban. Most people would suggest to ban final d. I personally don't ban that stage, i usually ban something else cuz even though falco can spam like hell there, dk can combo the sh*t out of him there if you can get your hands on him. (I know thats extremely difficult to do though)

Sheik- Princess Peach's Castle. The ceiling is low enough that you can kill her with an up throw up air at around 100 damage, probably sooner. And think about it. Sheiks just love the d throw, f tilt, f air. If sheik tries to do that there, you just influence to the middle pillar thingamajig. You can tech off of that and survive a little bit longer, hopefully long enough to hit that b*tch with a giant punch.

Marth- I'm not too sure on this one. I'd definately ban yoshi's story though. I guess i'd have to choose something like poke'floats against marth. It takes away his edgeguarding game, and if you manage to grab him, at a lot of areas you can just walk him to the edge and throw him forward for an instant kill, even at low damages.

Peach- Thats another toughie. I personally just take her to final d, but thats just cuz i like that stage. I guess its also good cuz your not confined to a small space, cuz dk is claustraphobic. You have plenty of room to stretch your legs (use the back air). It also makes it a little bit more difficult for peach to land her d smash. I'd personally ban fountain of dreams because of the fact that its pretty small and the platforms suck. Peach can use one of the platforms when its lower to the ground to down smash you even if your below her.

Ice Climbers- Take them to jungle japes.Chaingrabbing is pretty difficult there for them, and with the disconnected platforms, their wavedashing is taken away to a degree. You can practically just charge your giant punch, use it, run away, and charge it again, use it, etc. I'd have to say ban small stages or final d. Chaingrabbing is a b*tch at final d, and tech chasing is a b*tch at the smaller stages.

Captain Falcon- Jungle Japes is again a good stage to take fastfallers. Its not as effective against captain F*ckface...er...i mean, captain falcon as it is against fox, but still works. Just watch for flying knees. As far as banning goes....hmmmm...thats tough. I don't have any great ideas for this one, feel free to leave your suggestions.

Thats all i'll post for now. I'm tired, lol. Feel free to cover other characters or suggest alternate counterpick stages or stages to ban, or you can ask for a stage against a specific character, and i'll answer it the best i can. :laugh:

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I've been going over other characters that i plan to play soon and thought of what stages i felt would be best to pick and ban again and this is what i came up with.

Samus- Pick green greens. That stage is a great place to take her. The blocks prevent her from missile spamming, and the stage has a low ceiling and close sides, thereby taking away her great recovery. You can at any point, run away to hide behind some blocks and charge your giant punch. Sure samus can charge her charge shot at the same time, but i'd much rather have the giant punch charge and allow her to have her charge shot charged, then for both of us to have nothing. Low ceiling means you have a chance to u air her for a kill if you get the chance, and samus isn't gonna kill you vertically any time soon.
As far as banning goes, ban dreamland. That b*tch never dies there. She'll be surviving up to over 150 damage unless you hit her with a giant punch. I don't know about you, but i'd rather have more ko move options than just the giant punch.

Bowser- I'd just pick final d against bowser. Most bowsers that i've seen make good use of platforms, so just take them away. Final d is huge, so there won't be much tech chasing from bowser, and it'll be hard for bowser to use his up b to edge game. Oh, and lets not forget, you can combo the sh*t out of bowser there. Up throw to u air ***** bowser. You can even juggle bowser with b airs into a giant punch.
Ban yoshi's story. Its by far bowsers best stage. Its small, and the platforms are at the perfect height for bowser. You'll find that bowser is just about as fast as fox on this stage.

JigglyPuff- This one's pretty easy. Ban dreamland or mute city or kongo jungle 64. All stages that favor jiggs. Pick someplace small like yoshi's story. This matchup is just about getting the smallest stage possible

King Kong

Smash Lord
Take Marth to Corneria. Its hard for him to approach DK on that stage since he cant use platforms to set up tilts/aerials. Also, corneria magnifies your vertical killing and minimizes his horizontal kills.

Also, camping under the fin is good.

oeace out

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
Great list
I've never really thought too hard about certain stages for certain matchups, but I guess that's why I'm sucking. I recommend to never go FinalD, Dk is second place to being the most comboable next to Bowser, unless you have some amazing DI and tech skill, which is necessary to be a good DK.

My main stage counterpick is Green Greens, the platforms **** everyone, also cheap cargo throws off the side of the stage at 0% are a plus. It would be a little easier to get out of combos by teching off the boxes on the sides, and also you can downB to make the bombed boxes explode without you getting hurt, just a quick little surprise.

Oh, and C.Falcon cannot be stopped by stages

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Take Marth to Corneria. Its hard for him to approach DK on that stage since he cant use platforms to set up tilts/aerials. Also, corneria magnifies your vertical killing and minimizes his horizontal kills.

Also, camping under the fin is good.

oeace out
That sounds like a good stage to take marth. I'll have to remember that one.

So would anybody have any suggestions against Pikachu? I hate that little rodent. Pikachu gives dk a hard time. I can't really think of any stages that would give dk the advantage.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Wouldn't Jungle Japes work against a Pichachu? IIRC, the little rodent relies on vertical kills almost as much as Fox does.

I don't see anything wrong with the neutrals. Kanto, FD and the sort. Maybe one be just as cautious as they are fighting a Fox. Low ceiling = death by usmash.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Wouldn't Jungle Japes work against a Pichachu? IIRC, the little rodent relies on vertical kills almost as much as Fox does.

I don't see anything wrong with the neutrals. Kanto, FD and the sort. Maybe one be just as cautious as they are fighting a Fox. Low ceiling = death by usmash.
Its pretty rare that i'm killed vertically by a pikachu, its usually horizontally. And jungle japes is good at ****** a lot of characters recovery, pikachu's not being one of them since pikachu can go whatever direction it wants. That stage is good for characters that can't really change the direction of their up b after its been started.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Its difficult, but you can do combo's there. I did a combo, where silent wolf was at around 20 damage, and killed him with one grab. I was underneath the right platform, did a sh u throw, u air, u air, jumped up to the platform with a full jumped u air, and he influenced way to the left, so i ran off the platform with another u air, and he influenced back right, and then i jumped back up with another u air, and then jumped and giant punched him. I usually wouldn't reccomend going for something like this though, cuz there are usually better alternatives. I personally usually like to just take the fox in the middle at the bottom, and do a sh u throw, into an u air, and then immediately giant punch. If they're influencing in front of you, they go flying forward because they're getting punched into the same direction that they're influencing. If they're influencing behind you or not at all, they'll get popped up from the back part of the giant punch, setting up for more combos. You can start an u air combo after a hit with the back part of the giant punch. That stage is good for spamming u airs if someone is on the platform above you. Overall, i like this stage against fox/falco/falcon. I wouldn't reccommend it as a first choice, but its not a bad choice

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
0_0

thats so useless though. At that percentage I'd cargo atop a platform for one or two chainthrows -> re-grab take em somewhere where platforms aren't an issue and THEN GP. Doing it at 0 seems like a waste to me.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
0_0

thats so useless though. At that percentage I'd cargo atop a platform for one or two chainthrows -> re-grab take em somewhere where platforms aren't an issue and THEN GP. Doing it at 0 seems like a waste to me.
You have plenty of options, thats just what i do. Chaingrabbing them on top of a platform is a bit difficult if they influence at all, and you only do 7 damage initially from an u throw. It doesn't rack up damage that much at all. I just do it the way that i do it because its safe, and the fox player panics a little when they get messed up by a quick combo that puts them around nearly 40 damage right away. *shrugs*. To each his own i guess. =)

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
I really like playing on Brinstar. I always seem to live longer and get kills easier for some reason.

I think MKII is kinda of good board 4 DK 2 because all u have 2 do against people is cargo grab them and throw them to the side easy kills. Y is green greens DK's best board?

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I think MKII is kinda of good board 4 DK 2 because all u have 2 do against people is cargo grab them and throw them to the side easy kills. Y is green greens DK's best board?
I believe (not 100% sure though), that you can jump out and throw your opponent forward at green greens and it will be an instant kill. You can avoid spamming by hiding behind blocks. You can run away and charge your giant punch, use it, and run away again behind the blocks. At that stage, even dk has projectiles (the apples). Low ceiling meaning u throw to u air kills at low damages. Any questions?

AAP

Smash Journeyman
I kinda like kongo jungle, i'm not sure about its ceiling height but i do like to multi platforms for rocking the uair/up tilt combos, you can just keep climbing up. I find the platforms well set up for getting some nice fairs in. I dunno if these platforms give the level any specific advantage over any particular characters or any advantage at all.

...and i mean the level is playing the donkey kong song so why not

halfDemon

Smash Lord
Just wondering, is Japes any good on Marth? Since he can never sweetspot the edges, making your edgeguarding that much easier, and the fact that he has a hard time approaching you when you're on the side platforms, I thought this stage could work quite well.

Opinions?

Cia

das kwl
Peach- Thats another toughie. I personally just take her to final d, but thats just cuz i like that stage. I guess its also good cuz your not confined to a small space, cuz dk is claustraphobic. You have plenty of room to stretch your legs (use the back air). It also makes it a little bit more difficult for peach to land her d smash. I'd personally ban fountain of dreams because of the fact that its pretty small and the platforms suck. Peach can use one of the platforms when its lower to the ground to down smash you even if your below her.
umm.. i counter pick bum w/ FD.. lolz. it's a great stage for peach to chaingrab, air combo, and camp. the DK definitely lives for a long time, but once he's off the stage, i'll pretty much float just under DK w/ Nairs. (or if he's below me, Dair > Nair)

however, i do hate fighting DK at pokemon stadium because of low ceiling. Uthrow > Uair ***** peach. and when the stage changes, it's difficult to chase DK.

and FoD's low platforms make DK's Dair a huge threat.

just thought i'd give my opinion ^_^ (great thread)

James Sparrow

Smash Master
I like dreamland, a good stage if you know how to DI everything. Same with brinstar, must be able to properly DI. Greens is fun to camp edges and spam uair.

Top Bottom