• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Controller

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
I'm talking a comfortableness and quality.

I've been hearing lately a friend or two rant on how Game Cube controllers suck. Personally, I think GC controllers are amazing. They fit your hand like a mold. PS controllers suck, imo. Wii controllers, so-so. Bla bla bla.

However, I had thought the general consensus was that GC was the best, often rated the best in gaming magazines. This friend claims any controller is better than GC.

It bothers me, because all other controllers are horrible. Only argument against GC controller for me personally, and you might get this joke, is that it looks like ****ing lego.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I'm talking a comfortableness and quality.

I've been hearing lately a friend or two rant on how Game Cube controllers suck. Personally, I think GC controllers are amazing. They fit your hand like a mold. PS controllers suck, imo. Wii controllers, so-so. Bla bla bla.

However, I had thought the general consensus was that GC was the best, often rated the best in gaming magazines. This friend claims any controller is better than GC.

It bothers me, because all other controllers are horrible. Only argument against GC controller for me personally, and you might get this joke, is that it looks like ****ing lego.
Wii-mote with nun-chuck. All the downsides of the wii-mote primarily refer to poor implementation of features that the other controllers don't even have, but for simply plaing a normal game, the wii-mote and nunchuck, being attached by only a wire, I find are absolutely the most comfortable to hold.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
The whole deal with the "best" controller is totally subjective, seeing as usually your best controller will always be the one you use the most, which explains the "perfect fit" statement.

For me, it has to be the Xbox 360 controller. I will admit the PS2PS3 feels very awkward, just feels like I have no control over what I'm doing.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I actually find Xbox 360 controllers have the biggest problems as they age. The controll stick moves your character slightly to the left or the right as it ages for some reason, which is kinda annoying when you just want to drive in a straight line.

Silentprotector

Smash Cadet
The whole deal with the "best" controller is totally subjective, seeing as usually your best controller will always be the one you use the most, which explains the "perfect fit" statement.

For me, it has to be the Xbox 360 controller. I will admit the PS2PS3 feels very awkward, just feels like I have no control over what I'm doing.

I agree with you. And i know how it feels. The controls i'm now must use to are the wii's .. hell know i think playing the hand held game systems are confuzzing.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord

I agree with the PS statement. Sony controllers feel very awkward. But I don't think my choice of the GCN controller is that I use it most. I loved the controller since day one, and truthfully, if I weren't use to it (playing any Nintendo game with 360 controller would be REALLY weird), I'd use the Xbox 360 controller. I also would note that GCN controllers were designed with the perfect fit in mind. That people find PS controllers comfortable is beyond me. This is where the "used to it statement" comes into play, I think... (although I played PS1 when I was young, and I still find it uncomfortable).

It all comes down to opinion and the adapt aspect, but I really think GCN is the perfect controller. It has curves for the hands.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I agree with the PS statement. Sony controllers feel very awkward. But I don't think my choice of the GCN controller is that I use it most. I loved the controller since day one, and truthfully, if I weren't use to it (playing any Nintendo game with 360 controller would be REALLY weird), I'd use the Xbox 360 controller. I also would note that GCN controllers were designed with the perfect fit in mind. That people find PS controllers comfortable is beyond me. This is where the "used to it statement" comes into play, I think... (although I played PS1 when I was young, and I still find it uncomfortable).

It all comes down to opinion and the adapt aspect, but I really think GCN is the perfect controller. It has curves for the hands.
Is there a reason no one says wii-mote?

It's one handed, and even with the nun-chuck attatchment, you can hold it any way you want.

I'd have to say the Xbox 360 is the most uncomfortable controller (next to the wavebird). It's heavy, it's the third brand I learned (Nintendo and Sony 1st and 2nd), and it wears out the fastest (although that's not a comfort issue).

Although in a couple ways the GC controllers are kinda small.

Zunari

Smash Apprentice
The Sega mega drive controllers are the best ever. A D-pad and 3 buttons, So comfy and they look awesome.
There's just something about it..

Alzi

Smash Master
Personally i think the best for me is the gamecube controller. But it's really depends on the person and his liking. Having never owned a xbox 360 but i play it while it's in the store for display and the controllers for the 360 are nice aswell.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Is there a reason no one says wii-mote?

It's one handed, and even with the nun-chuck attatchment, you can hold it any way you want.

I'd have to say the Xbox 360 is the most uncomfortable controller (next to the wavebird). It's heavy, it's the third brand I learned (Nintendo and Sony 1st and 2nd), and it wears out the fastest (although that's not a comfort issue).

Although in a couple ways the GC controllers are kinda small.
Funny I some times hold my Nunchuck upside down when no one is looking.

Akward but funny to my self

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
Personally, the Wii-mote is not my favorite because it is just too rectangular, I like the nunchuck, though it is just nice to hold.

I prefer the Xbox 360 controller over all others too. The way the A,B,X,Y buttons are aligned just work. The thumb sticks are in just the right spot. If I could somehow play Melee using a 360 controller, it would certainly be perfection. GameCube controller is a close second, but I just hate how the A button is right in the middle of the B,X,Y buttons, it makes playing some SNES games a little awkward on the virtual console.

D

Deleted member

The old joystick controllers are my favorites. It's just a stick with a button on it.

Simplicity.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I actually find Xbox 360 controllers have the biggest problems as they age. The controll stick moves your character slightly to the left or the right as it ages for some reason, which is kinda annoying when you just want to drive in a straight line.
I have two 360 controllers from launch day (November 25th 2005, if you forgot), both of which don't do this. If your controller does this, it's from being dropped, stepped on, or rough use.

The 360 controller is definitely the most comfortable controller I've ever used, with the Xbox Type-S being right behind it. The button placement is right where everything should be, the buttons and sticks are top quality. My only complaint would be that the D-Pad can be a *****, but it's barely used nowadays so I don't have to worry about that.

But yeah, the 360 works great for 360 games, Xbox games, and it's really awesome when you hook it up to your PC and play SNES/NES/etc games with it.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I thought everyone loved the PS2 controller.
I suppose it does feel a little awkward with certain games in this day and age.

It's probably my favorite controller though since I haven't had any problems struggling with it.

I don't like the PS3 controller though...
Worse D-pad and bad "trigger" buttons.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I can really only use the PS2 controller type. I even got one for my computer, and it feels **** comfortable.

That model has been considered one of the bests though.

The PS3 one feels only slightly awkward at first. All my friends who aren't gamers picked it up pretty quickly though.

MegaMarthMan

Smash Cadet

Have you ever held my third party controller? Worst controller ever... ever (sorry I had to say that) It is literally TWICE as thick and it's analog stick sucks but yeah best came cube worst 3rd party gamecube. Lol :laugh: , you say the GCN fits your hand well not intel's.:laugh:
i can't find a picture, they didn't advertise it of course, lol.

Siyico

Smash Cadet
Snes controller.

I love the look of them, light and easy to carry

They are also very easy to use and are generally sexy.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
HRAP2. Good answer.

__

PS2 controllers are my fav. Works for everything. Fighters, RPGS. Action games, whatever. D-pad and Analog works. No crazy sized buttons or anything like that, it's pretty ballin.

What i've always wanted to find is a Duocon RPG controller just so I could have a 1 handed controller. Wouldnt really work so great in this day and age, but I still have a buncha games I could play with it.

Top Bottom