• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Concert You've Been to

Symphony X

Smash Lord
It's always safe in a mosh pit. Moshers have standards you know, if they see someone fall; they will pick someone up.

Walls of Death, however, are terribly unsafe. For those ignorant, a Wall of Death is where the crowd divides into to sections at opposite ends of the venue, and runs at eachother a la red rover.

At a Lamb of God concert, wall of death caused a death. One guy died. Beware.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqK_0BbZGJY&feature=related

Last wall of death I was at, though I don't care much for lamb of god. Listen to the guy screaming at the beginning in the camo pants that mother****er dropped his beer on my girl so I ****ed him up in the pit, the one time I said **** the pit rules. The quality also sucks just a heads up. But it was indeed fun especially for the bald dude who stood there and took it like a man in the center.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
If you were indeed at that concert and that very wall, then I comend you for sticking up for your girl.

I'm not a fan of Walls of Death though, it's really no fun except for the initial hit. Mosh pits are continuous hits one right after the other.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
oh yea, definately. we even stopped the mosh during one the brutal songs because some guy got his glasses knocked off. i didnt mean a safe spot like where you wont get hurt i just meant that the entire ballroom became a pit, willingly or not you were getting shoved, pushed and whatever, its all good fun unless your a baby about it.

Spire

III
BRoomer
1. Ween
2. Primus
3. Les Claypool (twice)
4. Alice Cooper
5. Peeping Tom

I'd love to catch Tomahawk or Bowie sometime, but the future looks foggy for the both of them, especially the latter, with his on-stage heart attack on his last tour and all..

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
Trans-Siberian Orchestra has good concerts...
I admit, I only heard of them because of that Christmas lights video, but yeah, great concert.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
If you were indeed at that concert and that very wall, then I comend you for sticking up for your girl.

I'm not a fan of Walls of Death though, it's really no fun except for the initial hit. Mosh pits are continuous hits one right after the other.
Yep yep. It was hot as **** to. I think they ended up giving out free water. If your in the front of the wall your gonna get most of it, but pits are a different story sometimes. Depends on the size of the people there. :laugh:

nice1

Smash Lord
the best concet i've been to was when i saw eminem a long time ago in texas when his song my name is was getting radio play

smaci92

Smash Lord
I was wondering what you people think about classical music (as I am a classical pianist) compare to the most popular music these days?

I've stayed true to my promise to only listen to classical music my whole life so far...^.^

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I was wondering what you people think about classical music (as I am a classical pianist) compare to the most popular music these days?

I've stayed true to my promise to only listen to classical music my whole life so far...^.^
Classical music is good, however the whole "I'm smarter than everyone else because I listen to Bach" really proves stupidity and close-mindedness classical music can bring to people (all music brings positives and negatives, even classical, march, etc.), however, anything in general is pretty much better than current pop music about 95% of the time.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
Anything in general has always been better than pop music. Pop music by definition is audio manufactured to produce maximum profit with minimum effort.

Also, I would seriously maim for the opprtunity to go see Bad Religion, Versailles, or Dark Moor in concert. If I can get Warped Tour tix next year I'll nail one of those.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Anything in general has always been better than pop music. Pop music by definition is audio manufactured to produce maximum profit with minimum effort.
Motown?

Prince is an electronic-funk pioneer just masquerading as a Pop star. Really, he's awesome, and even when he does do straight pop, he does it well.

Psychoace

Smash Champion

That's pretty sad in a sense. I thought most musicians try open themselves up to a variety of music to simply learn and find enjoyment from (in my opinion anyway). I'd suggest listening to some neo-classical metal for instance. Especially Children of Bodom one of my favorite bands, they've even re-arranged and sampled from some of Mozart's pieces for instance, the opening riff for "Red Light in My Eyes, part 2" is from Mozart's Symphony no. 25 and later there's a riff from "Requiem".

The spoken intro to the Hatebreeder album ("From now on we're enemies... You and I") comes from the movie Amadeus (1984), the story of Mozart and Salieri. The idea apparently belongs to Janne Warman, who also used a lot of samples from Amadeus in his own project, Warmen which is another neo-classical project associated with CoB.

Some other well noted classically influced metal bands and performers are Yngwie Malmsteen (though he's a bragart and a pompus *******), Michael Angelo Batio, Symphony X :) , Ritchie blackmore, Randy Rhoads, Brian May, Stratovarius.

It runs deeply in metal including progressive metal, so I would suggest not simply limiting yourself to one style of music as you can find a lot of enjoyment in multiple forms, hell I know I have.

smaci92

Smash Lord
really close-minded dont you think?
Thanks for the replies guys. It's not that I'm close minded; it's that I researched and found that some rock music and rap music can ruin your ears (which is something very important for my career). Scientist conducted and experiment where they put one plant in one room with classical music for a whole week, and another plant in a different room with rock music in it. And guess what: The plant with classical music in the room grew alot more than the plant with rock music in it (in fact, the rock music one was dead :ohwell:). Doesn't this prove something?? Now don't get me wrong here: I'm not trying to prove that rock music is crap and classical music is the only thing everyone should listen too...I'm just trying to promote classical music (as this will be my future career) and make people open their mind up to classical music and enjoy it, as it was the very first form of music since before the baroque period and all other styles of music (jazz, rock, pop) came from classical...

Classical music is good, however the whole "I'm smarter than everyone else because I listen to Bach" really proves stupidity and close-mindedness classical music can bring to people (all music brings positives and negatives, even classical, march, etc.), however, anything in general is pretty much better than current pop music about 95% of the time.
Again, I'm not close minded...I've listened to other music but classical and jazz music is the only types of music that make me relaxed, bring me joy, analyze the amazing harmonies...etc. Also, I never said I'm smarter than everyone cause I listen to bach...I play and enjoy classical music strictly for the because I was raised and taught that way...

That's pretty sad in a sense. I thought most musicians try open themselves up to a variety of music to simply learn and find enjoyment from (in my opinion anyway).
You are right that many musicians do open themselves up to varieties of music...but not classical musicians. I'm serious. I've met and had lessons with many of the most famous classical musicians in the world, and I always ask this question (as it is a topic that I find great interest in)....

Saw Baltimore Symphony do Mahler V a year or two ago. That was pretty sweet. Probably my favorite concert I've been to.
Now that's what I like to hear! Mahler V ftw! Glad I'm not alone here.

How many of you guys listen to classical music on a regular basis?

and I hope you guys understand that I'm NOT forcing myself in here to start a huge argument...cause I'm not

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
see...how do you guys expect me to be open-minded about rock, pop, rap, etc...when there's people who are close-minded like this...
I agree, he is being extremely close minded about this. He's probably one of the people who thinks Opera is a dead art for old people.

If you need recommendations to get into it, I can help you if you want.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
I agree, he is being extremely close minded about this. He's probably one of the people who thinks Opera is a dead art for old people.

If you need recommendations to get into it, I can help you if you want.
he never said it was bad, he said it bores him... i personally hate clasical music, i find it boreing too. im probly one of the most close minded (musically) ppl in here. i ONLY listen to metal, punk, and rock.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
Thrash? I recommend X (Japan) or Tourniquet. Some of Tourniquet's older stuff sounds a bit like a Metallica clone, but a lot of it is good original thrash.

Should you go with X, their playstyle runs from thrash to speed to power to symph to ballad and back. Some of the better thrash tracks:

Track (Album)
-------------------
Vanishing Love (Vanishing Vision)
Sadistic Desire (Vanishing Vision)
I'll Kill You (Vanishing Vision)
Blue Blood (Blue Blood)
Kurenai (Blue Blood)
X (Blue Blood)
Orgasm (Blue Blood)
Stab Me In The Back (Jealousy)

Psychoace

Smash Champion
I totally dig classical music, i'm pretty much able to groove on anything but country music as I was forced to listen to it for most of my life pretty much.

As for the whole classical music grows plants better thing, i used to believe that but i've never seen proof on it just simply word of mouth now on Mythbusters, i'm sure your familiar with, they tested that when Seven small greenhouses were set up on the M5 Industries roof. Four were set up with stereos playing endlessly looping recordings (as having the Mythbusters actually talk to the plants could contaminate the samples with their expelled carbon dioxide): Two of negative speech, two of positive speech (Kari and Scottie each made one positive and one negative inducing soundtrack), a fifth with classical music and a sixth with intense death metal music. A seventh greenhouse, used as a control sample, had no stereo. The greenhouses with the recordings of speech grew better than the control, regardless of whether such talk was kind or angry. The plants in the greenhouse with the recording of classical music grew better, while the plants in the greenhouse with the recording of intense death metal grew best of all.

Explain that one *shrugs*

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
thanx exec. ive tried tourniquete before, no dice. as for x, ill try them ltr, probly this weekend. im not big on power metal but if they good thrash...ill find it.
on topic (sorta) you guys think the misfits are worth seeing at all, i can see them for 20 bucks, but dunno if its worth it.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
i havent been too many concerts considering alot of my favourite bands dont come to australia and if they do they usually skip perth considering we have no BIG venue but considering what i have seen disturbed was the best

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Just saw Coheed and Cambria last night, and I'd put their live show up against any band on earth. They just go up there and rock as hard as they possibly can, and it's a thing of beauty to behold, especially from the second row. :D

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Good shows have no rows.
It was in an auditorium as part of Arizona State University's "Rock the Vote" event. It was an entirely free concert that just happened to take part in the most logical location for it, the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed auditorium that was right there.

Nobody sat down anyway, so the seats were only there because they're a permanent fixture.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
I totally dig classical music, i'm pretty much able to groove on anything but country music as I was forced to listen to it for most of my life pretty much.

Explain that one *shrugs*
Actually, I've been to several classical music concerts. I do enjoy it from time to time, but its far from my favorite type of music. Personally, I'd like to see a trance music performance, or a metal band. But to be honest, I'm kinda scared I'll be beaten or maimed at a metal concert, and I'm scared that I'll have a bunch of people doing acid and E next to me at the trance music concert...

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Personally, I'd like to see a trance music performance, or a metal band. But to be honest, I'm kinda scared I'll be beaten or maimed at a metal concert
Ugh. Didn't I go over this once? There is in fact a code of ethics as metal shows. If you don't wanna be tossed around, then you won't be. More towards the front near the band is usually where all the people go to watch the band. You don't have to mosh.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
hey X, dont you hate that.....that sterotype that says metal shows have to have ppl getting the **** kick out of them, ive been to a ton of shows and only got hurt once. it wasnt even in a pit, we were at an iron maiden show at the pnc bank art center here in jersey. it started raining like hell and the hill we were on was soaked(obviously) so some guy starts running down and than jumps and starts sliding like ****ing bowling, anyway i got taken out by one guy.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
yea, it was good. my one bud took out this guy and made him spill his beer, which is **** expensive at those places, anyway long story short, he only had one freind with him, we had many....

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Sounds like ozzfest '07 in Dallas when we had two pits going at once, one inside the roofed area and one outside on a sloped hill with concrete at the bottom. That was fun.

snowaxe

Smash Apprentice
I went to a switchfoot/third day concert. That was cool, im also going to a slipknot concert this summer. It will ROCK! \m/

Top Bottom