• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Character Against Meta Knight

Aldwyn McCloud

Smash Ace
according to gimpyfish heavy characters with good killing moves.. such as Ike, D³, Snake and Marth. Meta just won't be able to kill them until like.. 180% while a single hit at 100% will be enough to take off a stock of meta's. IMO Rob might turn out to be the worst opponent for Metaknight.. heavy, hard to kill, hard to hit because of his range and with a crazy recovery that makes Meta's edgeguarding abilities less effective. The only thing he'd need to make it even worse would be a very spammable projectile, and Rob does actually have good projectiles too..

PokeTrain101

Smash Rookie
Well... I think that a good character against meta knight would be either equally as fast person such as sonic or fox. Another character that could fight against him easily would be an agile character like wolf marth squirtle or ivysaur and finally Diddy.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
Snake, DDD, Fox, Sonic, (any character that has been mastered; if player is not master of Metaknight), Wolf (amazing killing moves), Marth(yes), Ike (Maybe), Diddy (maybe), PT (Possibly)

Yeah thats all I can think of right now...

R0cket

Smash Apprentice
As of now I'd say Lucas. And heavy weights such as Bowser, DDD, Snake, etc.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
Marth's everyone's problem.
Dedede with his weight and range, same with Snake.
Wario has a great aerial game, is very heavy, and has good kill moves. He doesn't have the same reach, but he's quicker and has high priority in the air.

I disagree with Sonic. Sure, he's fast, but he has bad and predictable KO moves. His main goal is to kill off the edge, which is not a Metaknight problem.

RAAR

Smash Apprentice
Lucario. Since Metanights doesn't have the best KO's but hes great at rakig up damage. Lucario Will just get strong while meta night raks up damage and struggles to KO. Meanwhile Lucario is at full power and Meta Nights awsome recovery won't make up for his light weight.

Staco

Smash Champion
everyone, if you are a good player
nobody, if you are a bad player

**** off tiers, tiers doesnt matter, skill does

Armadeo

Smash Rookie
everyone, if you are a good player
nobody, if you are a bad player

**** off tiers, tiers doesnt matter, skill does
You are right, skill does matter a great deal. A skilled player using a low tier character can beat an unskilled player using a high tier character; however, when one asks for a counter to a particular character, (s)he generally assumes that said character is being played by someone who is able to use that character to the fullest. By extension, it is generally assumed that the "counter character" is being played by a character of equal skill.

So, the question is: all things being equal, if two skilled players are playing, and one of them is Meta Knight, then which character should the other player use to beat Meta Knight?

The answer, of course, is one that I cannot answer, seeing as how I have yet to get the game. However, if I were to make an educated guess, I'd have to agree with most of the previous posters that any heavy character with decent recovery such as R.O.B or DDD would be the most effective counters to Meta Knight. Both characters are heavy, making them difficult for Meta Knight to knock off, while, at the same time, having good recovery, making it difficult for Meta Knight to edge guard them.

HeroXL

Smash Journeyman
The answer, of course, is one that I cannot answer, seeing as how I have yet to get the game. However, if I were to make an educated guess, I'd have to agree with most of the previous posters that any heavy character with decent recovery such as R.O.B or DDD would be the most effective counters to Meta Knight. Both characters are heavy, making them difficult for Meta Knight to knock off, while, at the same time, having good recovery, making it difficult for Meta Knight to edge guard them.
What exactly makes your guess educated...

Armadeo

Smash Rookie
I don't know. What makes any guess educated? Is it the fact that I have objectively looked at the apparent strengths and weaknesses of Meta Knight and picked out two characters that appear to counter his strengths and take advantage of his weaknesses?

Meta Knight has a hard time finishing off his opponents. Heavy characters exemplify this as they are particularly hard to knock off. DDD and R.O.B. are even more problematic for Meta Knight as they also have good recovery, making it difficult for Meta Knight to edge guard them.

So, basically, Meta Knight has a hard time finishing them off and if he does manage to get either of them off the stage, he'll have a hard time edge guarding them as they both have excellent recovery.

It doesn't help that Meta Knight is also very light, meaning that they'll have a much easier time finishing him off.

Now, as I said, this is an educated guess therefore I could be completely wrong. However, it is educated in that I have analyzed these characters, and am not simply listing off possible counter characters with no justification.

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
tires don exits
lmao i hope you did that on purpose.

but yea, ROB is probably the most aggravating character for MetaKnight to kill. everything you would not want to verse as MK, that is basically ROB. Dedede is also possibly a good character but he doesn't really come off as a great character IMO, and other potential MK killers would be heavy characters; Ike, Charizard, Bowser etc.

D

Deleted member

well i guess ill add some input here.
since ive been playing brawl ive come across two very hard chars. to play against when facing xellos and zeal.

when xell is ike he is slower but does not have a hard time meshing through moves w/his super armor frames like his up-smash wich has incredible killing power and can hit behind him.also when coming from below a stage it is virtually immpossible to edge gaurd against his up-B.

when zeal is lucas he tends to space himself with his projectile moves and when he has someone in the air he forces them into a position they dont want to be in by using pk-thunder(up-B)wich with most floatier chars. like mt can olny be avoided by air dodging.he also like mt uses his arials to combe foes out to the depths below and if vice versa can match ppl trying to attenmpt this by out-ranging them.also like ike,his up-smash has incredible killing power and can also hit around him as well.

ive played against other chars. as well of course but this is what has had the best results so far against meta when it comes to the top two anyways =D

also guys if you say a character is good because of such and such at least add why its good/you think its good against meta =0

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
I'm only going to mention who I've played against.

Sonic is a good matchup for MK, meaning that Sonic is extremely easy to beat, especially given a level with platforms.

Lucas is pretty tough to beat. He's hard to approach and is quick to react and for some reason I always get caught in that freakin' usmash of his. Once you learn to handle him, though, he's no longer that bad.

I've also played Diddy, and other than his projectiles, his finishing moves are just as slow/predictable as Sonics, imo.

------------------

People have mentioned heavy strong players. I can see Snake being a problem if he's played really well. But fortunately, it's not really that hard to avoid Snake's attacks (unless you miss him putting down one of those annoying mines). I haven't played Dedede at all. Ike is just too slow...you would just have to be patient with him (and avoid is faster attacks). I can see Marth begin a problem. I'm also a Marth player and he has more range and stronger attacks and his air game is top notch. But, with the changes to this game, he doesn't have the combo ability that MK does.

Just my two cents.

D

Deleted member

as lt8 said snake really inst that much of a problem for mk.is he heavy?yes.is he easy to edge guard?yes.
snake is also very powerful but it is very easy to avoid due to how slow his more powerful moves are.
he has some interesting projectiles but they are alot easier to avoid unlike some of lucases.

now others have mentioned ddd and he can be a problem when playing as mt.for one his f-tilt has excellent range over mt and he has spammable projectiles wich he can also use from the air.the best part though is probably his airials being that some can easily deal mutltiple hits(with multiple hitboxes as well) and others can ko with good range to boot(not to mention how quickly his b-air can be executed).
the one problem is ddd's up b,inexperienced players forget to cancel this alot when they need to most so just keep that in mind hahaha

also even if you know what lucas can do its not hard to mix it up againt meta.ike also maybe slow but as i said b4 its not hard at all to beat out meta easily especially w/super armor frames,he is also very heavy and immpossible to edge gaurd from above with meta.

also if you guys give these ideas please let us know how you find them out(play against cp's,ppl,etc.)so we have a better idea where your coming from =0

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
I said it's not hard to avoid Snake's attacks, but his best ones certainly aren't slow. I consider his uair to be one of the best in the game, and it's wicked fast (and awesome range). His bair is just as fast, though with a little less knockback. And those mines of his will kill you and all he has to do is press a button.

They aren't slow, but not necessarily hard to avoid.

Good points on Ike, though.

D

Deleted member

I said it's not hard to avoid Snake's attacks, but his best ones certainly aren't slow. I consider his uair to be one of the best in the game, and it's wicked fast (and awesome range). His bair is just as fast, though with a little less knockback. And those mines of his will kill you and all he has to do is press a button.

They aren't slow, but not necessarily hard to avoid.

Good points on Ike, though.
no no you misunderstand.i agree w/you entirely on snake and his moves can be fast but when i said slow i mean you can beat them out unlike some of ikes(s.armor)due to metas pokes from moves like his f-air,etc.(wich can be spaced easily).

Note: one thing about snake to watch is his up-b because he gains super armor frames at the start of this move =0

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pit, Zelda and are pretty difficult for metaknight since they have projectiles while metaknight doesnt. Both are quite good in the air as well, mainly Pit.
I might say Bowser is troublesome too. Bowser's harmless when you're away from range. Sadly, Metaknight has to get close to Bowser and his brute strength and Tank-like armor.

D

Deleted member

Pit, Zelda and are pretty difficult for metaknight since they have projectiles while metaknight doesnt. Both are quite good in the air as well, mainly Pit.
I might say Bowser is troublesome too. Bowser's harmless when you're away from range. Sadly, Metaknight has to get close to Bowser and his brute strength and Tank-like armor.
ah i see someone has finally metioned this. zeldas projectile(djins fire) can mean a very quick death for unwary meta players.like lucas sometimes the only option you are given is to air dodge =0

as for pit i myself have never had a problem against his projectiles and when it comes to arial combat,its easy to outrange/outprioritize him(his up-air can be troublesome however due to the fact it lingers).also because of how his nuetral b recovers its incredibly easy to keep him off the edge.

when it comes to fighting bowser getting in close is not a problem at all due to the fact its easy to just f-air and di away or d-air if hes shielding and get away since you can still act afterwards b4 he lands but,watch out for bowsers f-tilt when f-airing him,mad range and power =0

MyRevenge.

Smash Journeyman
It's funny how some are saying Marth,
I was looking at a similar thread in the Marth forum and they were saying MK is one of Marth's hardest matchups...
Pretty interesting...
Snake is good tho :p

D

Deleted member

It's funny how some are saying Marth,
I was looking at a similar thread in the Marth forum and they were saying MK is one of Marth's hardest matchups...
Pretty interesting...
Snake is good tho :p
ill have to agree that meta > marth.its incredibly easy to out prioritize him and most of all gimp marth at very low percents.i myself have killed marths at 32% off the edge consecutively!

shadydentist

Smash Lord
A turtling marth can be a problem, because he outranges meta knight.

Ike is difficult for the same reason.

At this point, though, my knowledge of matchups is severely limited by who my friends play, so its tough to say for sure.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
I played against a falco yesterday. He gave me a run for my money at first. Then he picked FD and got way too predictable with his laser spam. A properly played falco can force you into the air where MK is vulnerable. Then Falco can run in for a few foods hits (sometimes).

That sword does tend to help, though. But for characters with good projectiles and good/fast air attacks, MK can have some problems (or so I've noticed). MK is very vulnerable in the air if he doesn't have momentum or if he's low or if his opponent isn't being juggled due to his lack of maneuverability in the air.

Anyone fought a good link yet? His projectiles in this game are far better than melee, but he seems slightly slower. I believe his priority is somewhat higher than MK's, but he may just be beaten speedwise.

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
I honestly haven't had a huge problem with any character yet as metaknight. Hardest fight for me is wolf because his blaster spam is annoying and his f.tilt and f.smash both outrange a lot of my stuff. Still beatable but just a lot harder.

Covenant

Smash Rookie
It also depends on how you play. I'm an extremely aggressive player so I have problems with a defensive-minded Iceclimber player due to the fact all my combos get interrupted by desynched Nana and her hammer, and grabbing them is problematic. Someone who plays a more defensive, contemplative metaknight would do better against a Marth or a Link or whoever because of his speed and priority moves. But that fight would take absolutely forever.

ollenberger121

Smash Apprentice
i think hardest match up is falco (for me anway)...hes got good projectiles to keep you far away .... if you get close on the ground BAM reflector to the face then a forward smash and your across the level again getting spammed......i cant beat him,,,,,,,,,

kyle?!

Smash Cadet
I'd say pit is probably the best MK counter. Pit can go hand to hand with MK's speed, has the ability for great recovery's making chasing harder, and Pit has his arrows for projectile fighting. I'd give this one to Pit.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
Pit recovery is actually quite easy to gimp for MK, in my opinion. And he definitely doesn't have Meta's speed. But some of his attacks can be a problem. It can go either way, but overall I think MK is the general advantage.

Falco is indeed a very tough matchup for Meta Knight. Falcos air game is incredible. His projectile is fast enough and stuns enough to be a bit more than annoying. He can kill at much lower percentages, especially against meta knight, and his shine is basically a get-the-****-off-me-MK move.

Top Bottom