• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Character Against Meta Knight

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
I'm really dying to watch a really good snake. I've gotten the hang of him a bit lately, but I'm still not very good with making use of some of his weapons.

ollenberger121

Smash Apprentice
i dont have truobles with snake hes usless against MK speed (if your close) from far away hes a problem ....as long as you get to him befor he starts laying mines down you will be fine IMO

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'm goin to stick with Pit, Zelda, and Bowser as Metaknight counters.
Pit's arrows are just good, the mirror shield, when used correctly, can be offensive rather than defensive, and he also is good in air combat. I like him, he's just amazing and cool to play as. I should know, he is my 2nd main after all.

Zelda's Din's fire has increased blast radius that of which melee used to have and is dangerous against Metaknight. I also find her Up-air to be buffed therefore capable of killing Metaknight at about 80-90% damage. I use her Up+B as an offensive weapon ^^

Bowser as i said before is a Tank, and it takes Metaknight some time to kill him. Bowser is only harmless when you're at a distance. With the lack of projectiles, Metaknight must come close to Bowser. Bowser's Jabs, D-Tilt and F-tilt all have great ranges, with Fire Breath being useful as well. In this matchup, it depends on skill and strategy, and i got a lot of that in my Golden Bowser.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
The problem with Bowser is that his recovery is really easy to gimp, so MK can actually kill him at relatively low percentages. He's also a big target so that damage builds up fast. Other than that, your comments on his attacks vs MK are right.

Sindel

Smash Cadet
In my experience with heavier characters with Meta Knight, he's better than most. Since he moves faster, the only difficult with Bowser/Gannon/etc is that the first blow is the knockout blow. However, Meta Knight makes up for it by being resilisent as hell (as of average, it's taken near 200% to knock out).

Lucas is a good choice against Meta Knight as well as difficulty with Snake/Pit.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
I still find Falco and Lucas to be the best match ups. I have one friend who settled on Lucas in the beginning and he's getting pretty good and my other friend has been bouncing around. He starting to settle on Falco and it's tough match up.

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
Really? Is it just how ahrd lucas hits that makes him a tough fight? I guess coming in from the air can be a risk because of that beastly up smash.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
Lucas is good at keeping his distance until it's safe for him to attack, but can still rack of some damage while you're gone. Unfortunately for Meta Knight, he has to be right next to Lucas to hit him. And yeah, Lucas can hit pretty hard and on certain levels get low damage KOs with his PK Thunder.

ollenberger121

Smash Apprentice
some one who plays as Lucas can beat MK because of the whole projectile thing .... projectiles beat MK.....

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
That depends. I can throw arguments both ways here. I'll give a small rundown of some character-specific match ups:

Lucas

PK-Thunder - You can't swat it away, but it's very easy to air dodge once you get the timing right. Just watch for it again if they turn it around to come back at you.

PK-Fire - Against a non-B-sticking Lucas, you can simply hop over them, or even roll. Against a B-sticking Lucas, you're basically forced to stay unpredictable to keep his aim off. Air dodge, sidestep (spot dodge), jump high/glide, etc.

Toon Link

Boomerang - Jump, air dodge/sidestep or whatever if you choose. Or just use Mach Tornado or Drill Rush, since it eats right through the projectile without stopping.

Arrows - Same as boomerang except that when used right, it's really hard to simply jump over them. But have no fear! Mach Tornado and Drill Rush plow right through unhindered.

Olimar

Pikmen - I'm also an Olimar player now, and there is one thing I can tell you. The pikmen have terrible priority and all except the purple ones will die in one hit to... a sword slash.

Wolf

Cluster Laser - My brother plays Wolf. His laser is really easy to jump hop over. Or air dodge, if you choose. His laser is good for doing extra damage or forcing players in the air, but that air is exactly where MK wants to be, so it's not a problem.

Falco

Laser - Falco's Laser is a lot more annoying the Wolf's. They're longer and faster and are thus harder to hop over, but they also come out one after the other very quickly. No real suggestions here. You'll be forced to jump so you'll have to find a way to keep from being vulnerable.

I'll write more after I've done some more testing.

sesshomaru

Smash Journeyman
muffin!!! O_O havent seen u in forever.

i hate mk because i play fox, and dittoing to beat a mk is soo frustrating. the only good matchup imo is marth. matches the range in air and has more power. BUT mk's ground game (yes hes good there too ****it) is a good answer to that. a sh fair from marth is just a little to high to hit and mks ftilts put marth right in mks comfort zone. mks dash att and usmash run are also insanely fast. the only real thing to hope for is challenging mk in the air and tryin for tippers and >B spams on the ground. stupid broken ball of pain.

AK42_METAKNIGHT

Smash Cadet
i would definately say that falco and ROB are MK's toughest matchups. that's not to say that you can't still easily win, it is just more work than other characters.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Now that I think of it, Pikachu is a problem for Meta Knight too, with the projectile and Thunder spamming, as well as decent speed to catch up to Meta.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
Pika is fast, but light, so Meta's killing ability increases. Also, Thunder is fairly easy to dodge most of the time. Projectile spam is always annoying, but Pikachu's isn't exactly the best. It's really slow. In the air, it's easy to dodge, and on the ground it's just like any other projectile that forces Meta Knight into the air.

The general consensus, however, seems to be that Meta has a hard time against projectile spammers.

Ice9

Smash Apprentice
Lol looking at these, you guys have basically named all the characters in the game!
for me the 4 counters against MK are:

The 3 furry space animals, particularly Wolf and Falco.
Snake because his Bair is lord.

KnightxofxthexShadows

Smash Rookie
Despite what other people have said, I believe sonic does pose a threat to meta knight. Pure speed vs. Attacking speed never really played out well for me, and I never really had a problem with anyone else. When I play, it ends up being a much harder match for meta when the level is flat, but with platforms he had more of an advantage over sonic. Playing as meta knight against sonic seems to involve more dodging than one would really want, as trying to cancel Sonic's B attacks tend to cause damage to both sides.. Maybe I'm a bit too reckless, but his B attacks sort of require a more defensive game to deal with. On a lighter note however, he's much easier to K.O. than most other characters. It's one of the few match-ups that I actually felt was determined by the level.

D

Deleted member

well,after much playing since last time I have found that snake is easily the hardest matchup against mk.All he has to do is hold a grenade >_>

Im not even going to get started with the other stuff lol

SabinX

Smash Journeyman
in this order. Snake, then Ike/DK/DDD mainly for the effort it takes to kill them. really rely on a good edge game to win.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
well,after much playing since last time I have found that snake is easily the hardest matchup against mk.All he has to do is hold a grenade >_>

Im not even going to get started with the other stuff lol
LOL. I thought about this for a moment and that's a really good point. It would completely stop MK from approaching because any hit would result in both players getting blown up most, if not all of the time. And the weight difference obviously puts the situation in Snake's favor. Talk about the ultimate camping strategy. I'm going to have a friend use this against me and see what I can come up with.

For the post above me regarding the three heavy characters I have some important things to say.

Heavy characters, with the right attacks, do not really die at much higher percentages than lighter characters. The only one listed there that even has decent recovery is DDD. The only thing DDD has on MK is range and an ok projectile. The major problem he has, though, is that his attacks are incredibly predictable and it only takes a few minutes to play against him before you can start dodging the majority of his attacks.

I say this after getting three stocked by someone's DDD, and then coming back and ripping them in the following matches. It was my first time against a decent DDD and at first it frustrated me to no end. Once I realized at the end of the first match how to fight back, it was too late, but DDD was easy after that and still is.

D

Deleted member

yea that grenade thing is no joke indeed.its the hardest thing ive had to deal with by far.if anyone wants to play a good snake w/thier meta play zl.tyranT

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Snake is probably the hardest for MK to fight, because his recovery can't be gimped if they DI correctly, and Snake has great defenses. If you can get in close and start comboing with MK you'll be fine, but the issue is getting past the various explosives that Snake has at his disposal.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Not Marth, that's for sure. My sister mains Marth and we're pretty evenly matched.
I don't think it's Sonic either, I can easily stop him in his tracks.

I've really had the hardest times against Toon Link, Snake and Ike.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
After thinking about this carefully, I come down to all of Meta's Troubles:

Pit, being obvious with arrows and he's just plain good. You gotta love him.

Zelda's Din's fire can take advantage when Meta is Gliding as well as her having powerful moves, especially U-air.

Pikachu... Thunder, dont need to say more.

Ike only if you leave yourself open or if you're reckless. The battlefield stage has given meta Trouble when facing this guy here. Keep Ike from getting below you or you'd have some major problems.

ROB has 2 projectiles, and it is quite dangerous. Like Ike, facing Rob on battlefield gives Rob a slight advantage, only because of them platforms, in which ROB can perform the U-Smash while you're above him.

Donkey Kong gives Meta problems if you are reckless. Powerful attacks, need i Say more?

Falco and his blaster... not saying more about him.

Snake's Jab combo is annoying as well as his explosives. Casual play may help with this problem, but try not to face him on the Battlefield stage unless you mastered the platforms.

My Bowser gives Meta players trouble since my Bowser is very slick and cunning. Oops wrong one ^^

Link and his projectiles... but you could try to avoid them.

Toon Link apparently is more trouble especially with the D-air. I hate it so much, but it was my King Dedede who faced this problem. Dont get meteored by this move, im serious.

Basically MK has problems with those who has a projectile at their disposal, and Pit is one of his problems. Reckless MK players will have problems vs Characters with Strong moves, like Zelda, DK, and Bowser.

D

Deleted member

so,i think its safe to say snake is generally the hardest matchup for everyone here D=

Boolossus

Smash Ace
IDK, I've been trying to find this out for myself.

I main ROB, and I don't think that he counters MK as most people say he does. Why not? All of MK's aerials come out instantly, where 3/5 of ROB's aerials have startup lag. And even when you do time them correctly, MK's aerials still go through them.

I find myself having to play incredibly conservatively against MK when using ROB, and I can predict them really easily. The problem is, that ROB can't punish MK for alot of things. You can spam tornado and side B all you want and pretty much never get anything worse than a laser as punishment. That's just how much priority MK has over ROB.

Not to mention that ROB's main way of killing is by gimps. MK makes gimping next to impossible with 4 recovery moves, fast aerials with high priority, 5 jumps and gliding ability.

I just lost some GB matches to an incredibly predictable MK, and I'm tearing myself up for it. IDK, maybe I'll upload the matches to youtube for tips, but I really do think that MK has a giant advantage over ROB.

I'm trying to decide whether to use Samus or DK(two secondaries) against him. Samus has alot of the same problems against MK as ROB does, getting out-prioritized by his aerials and not being able to gimp. She does have a good projectile advantage over him though, and her grapple can really slow down offensive MK's. DK can easily be overwhelmed by MK's speed and fast aerials. DK doesn't have the gimping issue that ROB and Samus do, but then again he also doesn't have projectiles that he can spam either. Gosh, MK is such a troublesome character.
x-x

El_Komosutro

Smash Journeyman
Nobody mentioned g&w, all he needs is fishbowl and turtle to win. Plus, a good g&w can use "every" move well...
sheik, watch korean dj vids...
and mk players still sleep on fox, his up smash ***** us! It's really all he needs...

When a character has one or two moves that can dominate his opponent to the point of forcing his opponent to use mind games while he can spam a singular attack, he has an advantage. When that character has an above average moveset to compliment that game changing attack, that character becomes a counter character...

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
I find Marth to be an incredibly easy matchup personally...I main him as well...so i just think to myself "okay...if i am playing a meta knight with my Marth...what would piss me off the most?" using neu B against Marth is pretty crucial...

If marth tries to spam his n air or his b combo attack...just tornado it...and he'll change his habits to more ground based attacks...then you take to the air and f air

Shears

Smash Master
im saying snake is a definite MK counter.

zelda has a big advantage over MK, the dins fire can be avoided but it kills your aerial game. her smashes last for a long time and have high priority making it hard to get in. just dodge a dins fire and punish her before she gets a smash off. combo her to death or punish her when she tries to recover. her upB has start up lag, get a shuttle loop in there before she teleports and shes toast.

falco is going to cause a lot of problems along with wolf, but them being severe counters im not too sure of.

pit is not a counter to MK, his arrows are easily avoidable and MKs ability to chase pit off the stage and hit him while hes using his upB gives MK a huge advantage.

pikachus thunder is a big problem, it last for a while so its hard to get by it when recovering and MKs air dodge doesnt last too long and may not always make it past the thunder. pikachus got a quick fair to dsmash which can cause problems, but you can DI out of the dsmash. pikachus fair and dair have better priority than MKs aerials and glide attack. i still wouldnt say pikachu is a counter to MK. MK is faster and can get the kill on pikachu quicker, hes definately a fighter, but not a counter.

ROB gets tooled on by MK, the laser and gyro are too easily avoidable and ROB doesnt have the speed to match him. im with chozenone, MK is a counter to ROB.

DK doesnt counter MK. you can avoid his power. id put DK on the level with ROB against MK and say MK has an advantage over DK.

Link/Toon Link is tricky against MK with his bombs, boomerang, and arrows. not a counter just requires you to think and airdodge alot. if youre a half way decent MK you shouldnt have too much of a problem getting around this, just play a link/toon link frequently and youll be good.

Bowser is not a counter.

in conclusion admiral bowser and any other MK player, you cant go on thinking everyone is a counter to MK just because theyre heavier, stronger, and have projectiles. that would put MK as the worst character in the game, but for some reason he is recognized as one of the best so far. why? because all those characters you can plow through with your speed and recovery. MK can KO pretty quick, even the heavier characters, you just got to play smart and trap them into your combos which should finish with one of his few but good KO moves.

StealthFighterX

Smash Journeyman
I agree with shears and his toonlink comment. Very much so i have trouble against TL because of those damm bombs and arrows and boomerangs when i first started maining meta. Its starting to get much easier playing against TL since i learned to chill and stop being so agressive with my attacks. Every once in a while certain other characters give me some trouble. I got owned by a boswer just a few hours ago because of his fire breath killing my f-air on the ground. Also...who plays bowser? Lol...that alone threw me off my game.

Top Bottom