• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Buy Demo Discussion - What do you think of Sonic in Smash 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
This thread is to discuss your thoughts on Sonic from the playable demo at Best Buy. Please visit the other characters boards to discuss different characters.

---

With the playable demos on Wednesday, June 11 and Saturday, June 14, smashers who couldn't attend e3 will have the chance to experience Super Smash Brothers for the Wii U hands on for the first time.

- For information, Click here.
- To find a location near you, Click here.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Thanks! I'm hype to try Sonic out.

First thing to test: ASC shield-cancel!

Second: all other shield-cancels! side-b / down-b mechanics...

Tiptup

Smash Cadet
Live in Australia so can't go, but would be interesting if people could make notes on:
  • neutral b- is it viable?
  • new Dair mechanics
  • Smash attacks launch power
  • side b and down b and their respective abilities for combos afterwards and how viable they are at different percents.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I'll try him out on Saturday. For anyone going today, things I'd like to know of that aren't mentioned yet are:

• Color options: So far from E3 we can confirm Normal, White/Grey, Purple, and light blue. Going to assume he'll have more come release, but wondering if there is any other known of now.
  • New d-smash: Everything about this move lol. What percent does it do (I think 12%). Is it a viable ko option. Can it be combo'd into (maybe from d-tilt). Any uses for it, really. Can always hope it has some weird effect like spiking people that are offstage and coming from underneath.
  • New taunts: :D or D:
  • Combos: Is this game as bad as Brawl or can Sonic actually combo. Please list confirmation of already existing combos that still work.
One other thing that isn't Sonic related, but still very curious to know if it's true or not. Edgehogging. Read that it had basically been removed completely. If you're hanging on the ledge and someone else goes for it, you're the one to get pushed off. Confirmation on that one way or the other would be nice. I can't fathom a reason for removing that.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
I tried him at Nintendo world today. I really like how he feels in this game and it seems he's gotten better. Others may have posted most things about him already and despite being able to play, it wasn't for many matches due to being on for a limited time so I had to test as much as I could in that short time. I'm going back tomorrow to play more.

One thing I didn't see posted yet though. Yes, Side B can still be cancelled. I heard he lost ASC so this is the only cancel that stayed possibly.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
@Croi 's impressions:

Sonic:
Can't jump out of spindash???
Recovery feels about the same as in Brawl.
Dash attack hits like Project: M's side+b, but can't jump out of it. Good for pressuring shields regardless.
Fair is buffed; has almost no landing lag.
Dair is strong but has a gross amount of landing lag, moreso than Brawl.
Overall feels pretty bad and possible the most "unfinished" character I've played. Nothing with him really feels good or rewarding, despite how flashy some of his aerials look.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Sonic can indeed jump out of spin dash Raziek.
Fair has pretty similar landing lag. Not much better.
Dair has a tad more landing lag, but it's not outrageous.

He feels fine. Kills early, looks like his spins combo easier. :applejack:

Trent

Smash Champion
After Side-B charging and pushing up to go vertical in the air as a ball, when you hit the ground you will immediately start spin dashing instantly forward.

Spin shot is still in the game (From the ground anyway, forgot to check from mid-air).

His side taunt now says "Super Sonic!" in a stupid voice, his down taunt says "Come on!", and up Taunt is the same.

Bair seems to have a lot more landing lag.

It was faster to turn around after letting go of the dash rather than doing the turnaround animation from a dash.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
From the chance I got to play, I don't really have much more to add to what was probably already recorded.

I definitely noticed that combos with uair and spindashes in general are more efficient/effective, but uair is way harder to kill off the top with. There were multiple times where I spring > uair'd a Kirby at like 80-90% and he didn't die. Dsmash is pretty cool, but I think it might have slightly less range than the original (but I prefer that it hits both sides at the same time). Bair seems to be his best kill move. Thing kills mad early, and bair is my favorite move so that's a plus. I feel like Sonic's edgeguarding game will be dirty with bair coupled with dair spikes and springs. Hoping that his dmash will be good at punishing people who abuse rolls. Fsmash I think might have longer recovery. Possibly less range too (Brawl had a slight disjoint, and only God knows if Sonic still gets a shrunken hurtbox from it). Side B cancels seem to work very similarly, especially out of dash. I was able to pivot side B > shield cancel from dashes which was rad.

:093:

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
So, Sonic sounds like a better character at the moment. Unless every other character has received similar buffs. I am super sad about horizontal recovery gimp. More so than ascsc. Jumping out at opponents and basically shadowing them back to the stage with asc forced the opponent to decide early how to recover and now that option is completely gone. I guess the spike is supposed to make up for that. Not sure how I feel about the d-air spike though. It looks like it takes longer to finish and I assume you can't cancel out of it with spring before that point. Most characters spikes are low risk high reward. Sonic's is very high risk

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I suppose Sonic is one of the few characters though who can pull of that risk, considering his spring sends him so high and he can still attack out of it. Maybe it'll work out.

:093:

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Yeah it's still possible. Even if you just jump out and then start charging side b back to the stage, you can still normally get them to make the first move because of how good Sonic's recovery is. Besides not being able down b from the air into a shield, everything right now looks better on stage involving his specials.

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
I personally think he's way better in Smash 4 than he was in Brawl. I got to play him several times in both 3DS and Wii U versions. I thought he was meh in Brawl, but I'm really tempted to main him in Smash 4 if he stays this way.

I feel this is the game where Mario and Sonic can finally have a decent match-up against each other.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
We can only hope. "Sonic Speed" sounded so awkward to me. At least "You're too slow" made everyone amused in some fashion. I'm liking the gems to point out the different Sonic colors but I'm ultimately hoping for an Old School Sonic outfit. Like how Little Mac got frame wire.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
One other thing that isn't Sonic related, but still very curious to know if it's true or not. Edgehogging. Read that it had basically been removed completely. If you're hanging on the ledge and someone else goes for it, you're the one to get pushed off. Confirmation on that one way or the other would be nice. I can't fathom a reason for removing that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-817hAVCgbo
7:22 onwards.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Sonic's side-b is different than in Brawl. The hop is no longer useful for recovering because after the hop, Sonic plummets downwards. I kept killing myself out of habit of trying to recover with side-b. I think the move will be very interesting on stage as it will allow you to get to the ground very quickly to spin dash.

infomon

Smash Scientist
If Sonic performs an aerial spindash, and has used his 2nd jump, does he still get locked into spindash until the animation ends?
Yes, and I'm furious about it. I actually watched someone SD because of it during the demo.

sigh.

Wonder if there's a way to reach out to Nintendo: "This will cause endless frustration amongst casual players that don't understand what just happened"

Still, smash4 looks awesome and Sonic looks much improved.

Anyway, @ Rickerdy-doo-da-day Rickerdy-doo-da-day -- whoa! Glad you're still kickin around the 'boards :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom