• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best beginner character

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Problem is Lucario's third jump does no damage, so the n00bs might think he gets edgehogged too easily.
Lol, I'm afraid you'll never be capable of understanding the mind of a noob (thank the Lord).
"MK sucks, he's a weakling." "G&W sucks because he's weird." "Link is easily the best character in the game" <--- I hear that a lot, European noobs have a Link top tier fetish.

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
Aside from it doing no damage like Kinzer said, Lucario's recovery is just weird in general. When I try to bend Lucario's recovery, I just go to the right and die.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Toon Link, Mario, Pit, Kirby, and Marth are all great choices. I'm surprised I didn't see Marth mentioned.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Toon Link, Mario, Pit, Kirby, and Marth are all great choices. I'm surprised I didn't see Marth mentioned.
Marth takes some form of strategy with spacing and tipper.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
MK isn't the easierst character to use. He's in fact a lot harder to use in the beginning than other chars... G&W is the eaiest by far.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Yeah, I just remembered how my friend, who never played the game before, picked Marth (was in Melee though, but Marth's playstyle hasn't changed much).

'f course she didn't know about the tipping and all, but I think Marth is a solid choice, too.

@Gheb:
How is G&W an easy character to pick up? He has a lot of twists which make him not really that simple, like his weight (isn't he like... the lightest character in Brawl? Or was that Jiggly?) or his odd moves.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Then he's doomed to failure...

Oh and he has awful recovery as well.
Dude, we're talking about people playing at a beginners' level of play. It really doesn't take much knowledge to find moderate success spamming forward smash, forward air, and side B with Marth. And his recovery, while not great, is HARDLY awful.

Marth is a cinch to use.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Dude, we're talking about people playing at a beginners' level of play. It really doesn't take much knowledge to find moderate success spamming forward smash, forward air, and side B with Marth. And his recovery, while not great, is HARDLY awful.

Marth is a cinch to use.
Hmm, you have a point, except for maybe fair spam. Beginners aren't big fans of aerials, I didn't use them until like a month after I got Smash64.

Negi-Kun

Smash Lord
I'm tired of seeing threads like "Who is the best character for so-and-so"

No matter what the situation: MetaKnight.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'm tired of seeing threads like "Who is the best character for so-and-so"

No matter what the situation: MetaKnight.
He's not the best character at losing.

arch knight

Smash Lord
i dont really think there is a "newbie" char thats easy to learn since when you try and learn someone like snake who isnt all that hard to learn compared to most. you can get a basic skill down that allows the new person to learn other chars much easier

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
i dont really think there is a "newbie" char thats easy to learn since when you try and learn someone like snake who isnt all that hard to learn compared to most. you can get a basic skill down that allows the new person to learn other chars much easier
Snake? He's probably the most cerebral of the top tiers, and one of the more cerebral of the roster IMO. Although then again, they do say it's all about camping with 'nades and spacing with ftilit on the Snake boards...

arch knight

Smash Lord
Snake? He's probably the most cerebral of the top tiers, and one of the more cerebral of the roster IMO. Although then again, they do say it's all about camping with 'nades and spacing with ftilit on the Snake boards...
correct and since all you really need to do is spam then hes not that hard to learn this leads to samus, wolf fox falco anyone that spaces or spams

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
correct and since all you really need to do is spam then hes not that hard to learn this leads to samus, wolf fox falco anyone that spaces or spams
Lol all those characters are bad pick up and play characters, except maybe Wolf.
Fox, Falco and Samus' learning curve > Kirby, Pit and Meta Knight :p

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
1.Kirby
2.Metaknight
3.Falcon
4.Fox
5.Mario
6.Game and Watch
7.Sonic

All of them have basic attacks... good at recovering blah blah you know the deal

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
1.Kirby
2.Metaknight
3.Falcon
4.Fox
5.Mario
6.Game and Watch
7.Sonic

All of them have basic attacks... good at recovering blah blah you know the deal
I can't see Fox being a pick up and play character, well except for blaster spam but he's still not easy to play effectively.

Sonic = Too much speed = Running off the edge = Death
You're Too Sloooow!

arch knight

Smash Lord
Lol all those characters are bad pick up and play characters, except maybe Wolf.
Fox, Falco and Samus' learning curve > Kirby, Pit and Meta Knight :p
not really if you mained these in previous years then there is little to learn only if you base it off of never touched any ssb even tgen yea they might be a bit hard to learn

MikuMiku~

Smash Cadet
I believe Kirby is a great beginner characters. ^^ Kirby is who I started with.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
not really if you mained these in previous years then there is little to learn only if you base it off of never touched any ssb even tgen yea they might be a bit hard to learn
Not at all, I mained Falco in Melee and mained Fox in 64 and I was competent with him in Melee. They feel competely different. Different approaches, no hitstun, different shines, no l cancelling. The change in Brawl's mechanics makes the spacies feel way different. Samus I wouldn't know about. Marth hasn't changed tremendously though...

arch knight

Smash Lord
Not at all, I mained Falco in Melee and mained Fox in 64 and I was competent with him in Melee. They feel competely different. Different approaches, no hitstun, different shines, no l cancelling. The change in Brawl's mechanics makes the spacies feel way different. Samus I wouldn't know about. Marth hasn't changed tremendously though...
so if you base it off of old chars then little has changed samus and marth changed very little and falco as well as maybe a few others have undergone a slight change what with the reflector and blaster but it seems like an improvement rather than a problem

besides dont you just bread anyway???

mc4

Smash Journeyman
for a real noobish like person, someone like kirby/jigglypuff/MK who has multiple jumps for them to recover with and have pretty standard moves. Don't try to play as snake, ness, lucas, link, olimar or zelda, all of whom have difficult recovery or are really unique in their movesets.

good reasoning, i agree

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
so if you base it off of old chars then little has changed samus and marth changed very little and falco as well as maybe a few others have undergone a slight change what with the reflector and blaster but it seems like an improvement rather than a problem

besides dont you just bread anyway???
I think you're missing the point. Melee Falco is utterly different to Brawl Falco. Not only has he been decloned, his strategies have changed completely as I've said before. Therefore, it's just as much a learning curve as using an entirely new character, if not a steeper one because you're used to the old style of play. I mean, when I first started playing Brawl, I was still pressing L after a SHDair out of habit. -__-

arch knight

Smash Lord
I think you're missing the point. Melee Falco is utterly different to Brawl Falco. Not only has he been decloned, his strategies have changed completely as I've said before. Therefore, it's just as much a learning curve as using an entirely new character, if not a steeper one because you're used to the old style of play. I mean, when I first started playing Brawl, I was still pressing L after a SHDair out of habit. -__-
i see what you mean old strategies die hard thats why i quit main samus >.>

popsofctown

Smash Champion
do you want the player to be proficient, or eventually be a really good player? If it's the latter, then give them a character that can teach a lot of key concepts they need to know for their eventual main. Using backairs instead of forward airs can be hard at first, so give them a character that greatly rewards backair usage. Same for tilt rather than smash usage, that's tough to bang in your head so you should get a character that teaches you that too.

Final answer: DK

arch knight

Smash Lord
do you want the player to be proficient, or eventually be a really good player? If it's the latter, then give them a character that can teach a lot of key concepts they need to know for their eventual main. Using backairs instead of forward airs can be hard at first, so give them a character that greatly rewards backair usage. Same for tilt rather than smash usage, that's tough to bang in your head so you should get a character that teaches you that too.

Final answer: DK
DK might be powerful with decent speed but most char will either space him or have greater speed. and his air game is slow to me there is room for improvement

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Hmm... Marth seems a reasonable first character to use... none of the spaicies are pick-up and plays except for maybe Wolf... G&W & Snake are awkward/technical which is why they aren't good starter characters respectively.

Sonic is NOT a pick-up character, I've said it once, I'll say it again. He has a very high learning curve, not to mention little reward from his playstyle which would drive any curious person away from playing Sonic.

The guy who mentioned DK has some points, but now what is the purpose of this thread, to find out who is the best starter character/what character do newbies flock too the most/what starter character is good for "getting started in the Smash series"'/what character will help you prepare for the future of your smash career, or what's the deal here?

arch knight

Smash Lord
well your right about sonic you need good reaction for that as well as finishers.
i think the thread purpose is D. all of the above

Top Bottom