• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best beginner character

c0nd0r

Smash Apprentice
Ike!! OMG everyone has to pick IKE!!!!

MK is a close second, just noone please say mario...

Frogsterking

Smash Journeyman
Diddy Kong.

Just joking. G&W is somewhat easy to learn and is one of the best characters in the game. Lucario is rather well-rounded and I found him very easy to learn. If they want a heavy character, I think that Dedede is fairly easy to learn. If its just a friend coming over for a little while, you could show them Pit and spam B and >B.

But please, not MK.

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
The person I'm teaching seems to do best with Falco, which is funny because my sister liked Falco too when I was teaching her to play. She only plays with Falco now.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
for a real noobish like person, someone like kirby/jigglypuff/MK who has multiple jumps for them to recover with and have pretty standard moves. Don't try to play as snake, ness, lucas, link, olimar or zelda, all of whom have difficult recovery or are really unique in their movesets.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Metaknight

The secret? Mach Tornado, Nair, Fair, Bair, Uair, Dair, Shuttle Loop, FStrong, UStrong, DStrong, Dash Attack, Drill Rush, DSmash, FSmash, no lag, zreo startup

Browny

Smash Hater
you cant really go past MK/kirby

although id suggest kirby since recovering with MK isnt always easy for new players, and they may SD quite a few times with drill rushes off the stage, not knowing how to cancel the glide etc. and kirby has the all important 'press c-stick in the enemies direction when you want them to die' fsmash

PurpleAvenger

Smash Rookie
Start with someone basic like Fox.
Um what?

I'd also not recommend G&W since a newbie usin him gets rewarded disproportionatly for using poor tactics so he might learn good strategies slower. I'd say Lucy or wolf since their both well rounded but get punished hard for smash and projectile spam (two things noob really like).

Kronology

Smash Rookie
As said above before, multiple jumpers are great for young players just learning the game for fun or just a one-off. Kirby, MK are prime examples.
Characters with high up-b's are also good. Ex. ROB, Pit

For competitive play, you would eventually have to try everyone. Just the standard 2 jumps, mediocre character to start things off is okay, but it doesn't matter too much, since you'll have to get alot of practicing to be competitive. Ex. GaW, Falco

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I'd suggest Mario. ^_^;
Just because hes very basic and has many "normal" features to him.

Then I'd suggest picking Captain Falcon, cuz hes Falcon. =P
Then whoever he/she wants to pick.

Every charecter has their own "feel" to them and can teach you about this game.

Mr. Game and Watch pretty much gives you a simplistic outlook of how Smash is played. =)

Osi

Smash Ace
I'd have to go with:
1. MK - Easy to learn with lots of recovery
2. Kirby - Easy recovery
3. Pit - Nice range attacks to learn projectiles and good recovery for beginers
4. Peach - Enough little tech stuff to learn on without being a hard character to recover
5. G&W - Good all around character to practice the basics on

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Mario is a solid first choice, although he was easier to use in Melee.

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
Pit is alright for a beginner character, but they probably should try using other non-broken characters. Pit has fast smashes and it can make people addicted to c-stick smashing. Not to mention that they'll probably get spoiled from his multiple jumps and the distance Pit's upb gives them, even though they can't recieve any type of hitstun in WoI state without getting gimped off the stage.

I can usually 3-stock my dad who mains Pit and he somehow does worse with Mr. Game and Watch.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
It's a bit odd. Giving them a good character like MK or Pit will make them spoiled and never pick anyone else. Giving them crap characters so that they later can only can get better characters makes them quit the game. Newbies don't like to lose. Kirby will give them the spam habit. Luigi has the fun properties, but a bit odd recovery at first. They could try Sonic. Good recovery, won't kill early, so no C-stick spamming, however he could keep doing Spindashes and fail. Fox is OK, but a fastfaller.

Yea, just go Mario, you can go all directions from there. He has a reflector, a projectile, mediocre range/priority, solid ground/air game.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Mario is a good choice (especially in Melee and SSB64 *cough*) for beginners, since his properties are all pretty basic. He has solid ground and air game, a projectile, a medium recovery.

I also think, if someone wants to try a slower stronger hitter, Ike is a great choice - he has everything one of these guys should have. Y'know being heavy, having range and good power, fighting for their friends...

Kirby, as a third possibility, especially when it comes to recovering, is a good choice, as well. Just tell them to not spam all the time.

Lucario has similar traits as Mario, just a bit floatier while having wider range, and is a great beginner choice, too.

Last but not least, of course, is Meta Knight.

I think using Space Animals, G&W, Peach, Jigglypuff or R.O.B. is a bad choice, considering that all of them have some twists to them that make them harder to use. For example that the Space animals have horrendous recovery and are fast fallers, or that Peach and Jiggs mainly have the rely on their aerial game. Last but not least G&W and R.O.B. have very tricky movesets where some attacks are pretty bad and some are very very good.

Little Devil

Smash Cadet
I think it shouldnt be a character with a move you can spam easy. That given, Zelda, Pit and MK are out. All noobs playing them spam neutral-B, sadly.

But it should be a character with a medium recovery and a solid ground game, the air game doesnt matter that much since they wont use it. If the character should be fast, take C.Falcon or Tink, and if it should be a slow but strong character give them DeDeDe or Ganon.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
It's obviously MetaKnight, but it all depends on your style of play, if you like air game the Charizard is for you, but if you like ground game then Bowesr is the one, balanced charcter like Mario is good,or Samus if you like weak projectiles lol..

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
o.o

O.o

o.O

O_O

Are you really suggesting OLIMAR? What. The. Heck!?

Olimar is, by far, one of the more difficult characters to master. You have to exactly know what each Pikmin does and how you can use every of them properly, not to mention insanely difficult recovery, he's light and not the fastest, either. Olimar is a good character, no doubt, but he's everything else but a beginner character.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Any really basic character. Once they get used to the easy characters, they can try something like Zelda. But really, the person should just choose a character they like, they'll learn that character well if they actually try and they'll like them.

For example I used Dedede/Pit in the when I played first, but then tried every character and started to like Pikachu. I then moved on to more charaters, and I don't play Pit at all now, and Dedede rarely. It doesn't matter who you start out with, unless you intend to play with them only. (Which can get boring)

But I'd have to say Kirby, Marth, and Pit are good choices.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Sonic will make people pick up on bad spin attack habits, and eventually grow tired and move on to another character.

Sonic is not a pick-up and play character, you want Mario/Kirby/MK/Ike in no particular order for that kind of thing.

:093:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Kirby > mario.

Kirby's simplistic recovery, his speed, and the strength of his attacks makes him easy to get into.
His style is also very....ummm....low stress? Which helps out beginners, where say....Fox....is a pain.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Kirby > mario.

Kirby's simplistic recovery, his speed, and the strength of his attacks makes him easy to get into.
His style is also very....ummm....low stress? Which helps out beginners, where say....Fox....is a pain.
^^This

I'm definitely leaning towards Kirby, Pit and Lucario, because my scrubby friend mains them. They all encourage spam, and general simplistic approaches in tactics, i.e. brainless smashing of the c-stick (Pit and Kirby especially) as well as projectile spam.
People saying the spacies like Fox are pick up and play need to remember that they have familiarity with the game engine as a whole and correct strategy. A new player will discover he has a rapid fire blaster and a godly usmash, and leave it at that, and then abandon him because his recovery is terrible in the hands of a beginner, he falls extremely fast, and he's as light as a feather.
MK is also not one for the noobs, tornado x 9001 + fsmash spam is their tactic for him. (*Cough* replace fsmash with dsmash *cough*)

Frogsterking

Smash Journeyman
I changed my mind somewhat.

I now think Lucario is the best beginner character. He is well rounded and pretty simple, and doesn't really encourage spamming (AS I know, but its not as spammy as Pit's arrows or Kirby's Rock/Cutter).

I don't like Kirby as a beginner character because it encourages them to just keep Jump+Rock spam, or spam the Cutter. He is pretty laid back though, so if I guess he's okay if you convince them not to spam (something I have not accomplished :(). His great recovery is a double-edged sword. It makes it less frustrating for them, but then when they move onto other characters they could get discouraged because their new recovery is not as simple or strong, then they end up never using anyone but Kirby. Sounds a little unlikely, but its happened to me before.

Pit is very easy to fall into the spam B + side B. And like someone pointed out earlier, his smashes are so quick that beginners might get used to C-Stick spamming and never get any better. His recovery is even better and more simple than Kirby's (though Pit's can be gimped) that similar problems could arise.

Meta Knight's specials are waaay too spammy, and his recovery is either too good or too frustrating, depending on whether or not they figure out how to glide :ohwell: And I try to keep my household very Anti-Meta anyway.

Ike is alright. Very simple game-plan, but might be frustrating because of his slow attacks and poor recovery. Depends on what kind of play style they want.

Mario is well-rounded too with a variety of specials, I think he's a great starting character. The only problem is that he's not as effective as other characters which might make them frustrated later on, but in general he's a great starting point.

Whatever you do though, NOT OLIMAR, ICE CLIMBERS, OR DIDDY KONG.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Problem is Lucario's third jump does no damage, so the n00bs might think he gets edgehogged too easily.

Top Bottom