• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Band Ever?

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Wow, I feel like a jerk for not mentioning this before, but this is a really epic site. I visit it constantly.

http://www.gnod.net/

Go to the music section and type in three of your bands, and it will name a few "similar-sounding" bands, then you hit "I Like It," "I Don't Like It," or "I Don't Know It" in, and send in your results. Here's an example

One of my favorite bands is: Primus
One of my favorite bands is: Suicide
One of my favorite bands is: The Jesus and Mary Chain

How about....
Scott Walker: I like it
Flying Saucer Attack: I don't know
Pram: I don't know
Sun Ra: I like it
The Cramps: I like it
New York Dolls: I like it
B-52's: I like it
Blatz: I don't know
Lunachicks: I don't know
Pale Saints: I don't know
Akufen: I don't know

Now put those on my "to buy" list, and try this out yourself!

Psychoace

Smash Champion
I wonder if you can come up with a basis and not just an opinion

Greatest selling album - Thriller (Michael Jackson) over 100 million copies

Most albums sold by a band - The Beatles (that is arguable though)

Influential bands - The Beatles brought the music to the masses; the Pixies influenced masses of musicians. and Black Sabbath is the reason metal will never die and why there are so many long lasting genres. Of course there are more influential bands but these guys really put their **** on the map...

Yeah this isn't going to work. And whoever noted death and children of bodom how dare you forget about Venom.

D

Deleted member

One of my favorite bands is: Led Zeppelin
One of my favorite bands is: AC/DC
One of my favorite bands is: Van Halen

How about...
Joe Satriani: I like it.
Steve Vai: I don't know it.
Yngwie Malmsteen: I don't know it.
Steve Morse: I don't know it.
Dream Theater: I don't know it.
Liquid Tension Experiment: I don't know it.
Symphony X: I don't know it.
Rush: I like it.
Blue Oyster Cult: I like it.
Manfred Mann: I don't know it.
Genesis: I like it.

blackfox51

Smash Cadet
obvious

The Beatles... innovation, all members were pro at what they did, and they didn't drag on their stuff unlike certain other UK bands *cough* Rolling Stones *cough*

But in this present day... if you want the Beatles of this generation
That is easily Radiohead
They still have a long career ahead, all of them are so unique that it would be hard to replace a member. Each song is composed w/ everything taken into account.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
One of my favorite bands is: Led Zeppelin
One of my favorite bands is: AC/DC
One of my favorite bands is: Van Halen

How about...

Symphony X: I don't know it.
Maybe you should know it. Considering they're the best band in the world. Ever. Although they really have nothing to do with Zeppelin AC/DC or Van Halen. I think that thing might be broken. Or stretched far into the spectrum of music to suggest things. Which is cool.

Manfred Mann: I don't know it.
Bliiiinded by the liiiight. Revved up like a douche another runner in the night.

Favorites:
Symphony X
Black Tide
CCR

You like:

Dream Theater
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Grand Funk Railroad
Ted Nugent

You dont know:

Rory Gallagher
Taste
Steve Morse
Liquid Tension Experiment
38 Special
Bachman-Turner-Overdrive

You dont like:

Steppenwolf

muffinsanyone

Smash Rookie
wow peopole do not no how to spell

PRimus

everyone else spelt it
radiohead
bealtles
police
boston
van halen

i mean christ learn to spell!!!!!

jk

the best bands obvily are
beatles
pink floyd
rolling stones
the who and
Jimi hendrix expierence

but primus gets most orginal

honarble mentions
soulja boy (for showing how to mess up music)
sabbath
chili peppers

Symphony X

Smash Lord
wow peopole do not no how to spell

Primus

everyone else spelt - (Spelled) it
radiohead
bealtles
police
boston
van halen

i mean christ learn to spell!!!!!

jk

the best bands obvily are
beatles
pink floyd
rolling stones
the who and
Jimi hendrix expierence

but primus gets most orginal

honarble mentions
soulja boy (for showing how to mess up music)
sabbath
chili peppers
Take note.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
MOTHERFACK!

Deicide IS the best band ever! IT IS! IT ****ING IS!!!

Every single band in the world compared to it looks like ****. literally.

From every angle you come at it, Deicide is the best.

Riifs, DEICIDE! Pure headbanging/Moshing music, DEICIDE! Solos, don't get me started on the solos, Deicide has THE best solos EVER! God, they're so amazing. Glen is one of the best Death Metal vocalists ever. His voice is just brutal and evil. Deicide > Everything

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Their lyrical themes are Anti-Christian. Automatic disqualification.
More like instant qualification AM I RITE?

NeBz, you are honestly the first person I met (and even then, I haven't even met you) to like Deicide. I don't know, maybe it's a regional thing?

Seriously, Christianity has had some good rep in terms of music. I am NOT talking about Jar of Clays or Christian Pop today, that's among the worst music ever created. A Love Supreme is one of the greatest Jazz albums of all time, the hype is TRUE (I REALLY hope no one has to Google this). Other religion inspired music actually turned out to be good. Hank Williams, anyone? I Saw The Light is in his top five songs ever. Johnny Cash too. Oh, they're country. I forgot, that classifies as instant trash :rolleyes:.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
More like instant qualification AM I RITE?

NeBz, you are honestly the first person I met (and even then, I haven't even met you) to like Deicide. I don't know, maybe it's a regional thing?

Seriously, Christianity has had some good rep in terms of music. I am NOT talking about Jar of Clays or Christian Pop today, that's among the worst music ever created. A Love Supreme is one of the greatest Jazz albums of all time, the hype is TRUE (I REALLY hope no one has to Google this). Other religion inspired music actually turned out to be good. Hank Williams, anyone? I Saw The Light is in his top five songs ever. Johnny Cash too. Oh, they're country. I forgot, that classifies as instant trash :rolleyes:.
I can't help but get the feeling we'll never agree on anything. I like country. And no, you're not rite.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I said that because so many people will say things like "I like all music EXCEPT country and rap" or stuff like that, without even knowing about Hank Williams. Expansion of the genre of Country is one of the greatest genres America has given the world. Too bad people think "lololol america'll shuve a boot up yer ***!" about it. Oh, and what REALLY ticks me off is when people will say something like "I dislike country, EXCEPT for Johnny Cash!" Cash is great, don't get me wrong, but I dunno, it just does.

If you like They Might Be Giants, try and check out
  • The Feelies
  • The Replacements
  • The dB's
  • Young Fresh Fellows
  • DEVO
  • Shoes

These are all bands I sense in a connection to influencing them. They wrote a song about the Replacements and mentioned the dB's and Young Fresh Fellows in Twistin' as well, for crying out loud!

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Heh. Alrighty, I'll check 'em out. I've already heard lots of Devo, my dad's a fan of them. And I love Cash too. I do find mainstream country a bit irritating though, as it all seems to be the same thing. Chorus - Verse - Chorus - Verse - Chorus slightly changed - Chorus without instrumentals. I do like other Country though.

Have you or are you into Jonathan Coulton? Nothing you've said leads me to believe you'd like him, but I just recently got into him, and he's one of those undiscovered but awesome artists. he's like Voltaire with and acoustic guitar and happier. and no Star Trek.

OH! I been meaning to ask. You're the big Talking Heads guy, righto? Psycho Killer interests me. What else is good?

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Have you or are you into Jonathan Coulton? Nothing you've said leads me to believe you'd like him, but I just recently got into him, and he's one of those undiscovered but awesome artists. he's like Voltaire with and acoustic guitar and happier. and no Star Trek.
Save for no Star Trek, he sounds alright. I clicked on the YouTube link of him singing Still Alive, but it just stopped working. Not just that video or anything, all of YouTube. I try to go the main page and all I get is "Page Load Error." It just tards out for me sometimes. I'll be sure to check him out.

OH! I been meaning to ask. You're the big Talking Heads guy, righto? Psycho Killer interests me. What else is good?
Funnily enough, I came back here to edit the Talking Heads into the list of They Might Be Giant's influences. How they skipped my mind then, I don't know.

Besides the fanboyish response of "everything except True Stories and Naked," everything except True Stories and Naked.

Talking Heads 77: This the album that contains Psycho Killer. It sounds more like the CBGB New York movement the Talking Heads came from. Psycho Killer is without a doubt the greatest on the album, but everything else is up to par with the time.

More Songs About Buildings and Food: Like Talking Heads 77, this album coined another trademark Talking Heads fan favorite, a cover of Al Green's Take Me To The River. It surpasses the original by miles.

Fear of Music: This album is the beginning of the experimental Talking Heads. Keeping in mind that this is the first stage, it's still connectible to everything else at the time, but the sound is surpasses the time. My personal favorite Talking Heads album, check it out.

Remain in Light: This is where the Talking Heads really let technology have a hand in their music. It's just mind blowing. It contains one of their songs which people sometimes classify as "Pop," but trust me, these people have no ****ing clue about the album it is in and the context the album makes with it. It's called Once In a Lifetime, and it's one of the best songs of the 80's. Their second best release behind Fear of Music. Oh, and it was produced by Brian Eno, a bona fide genius. Although he also produced More Songs About Buildings and Food and Fear of Music, you can easily tell he helped with the album. He and Byrne (David Byrne, seen as the leader of the Talking Heads, although he's just a piece of the puzzle) would later team up again.

The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads: This is a live double-album. It's great, but save this for later if you think this band is for you. Besides, the next live album is much more famous.

Speaking in Tongues: This is NOT a ****ing bad album. The only reason die-hard fans would dare to say this (and even then, there really aren't that much) is because of the mega-hit Burning Down the House. Great song, but it is by no means a sell-out attempt. Maybe if you just hear that song and that song alone like so many did, you are REALLY missing out here. It was a step back from Remain in Light in terms being experimental or ambient, but you can tell the influence is present. Pick it up, my third favorite.

Stop Making Sense: Seen by many fans to be their magnum opus. It's great, even better than the live album that came before it, but as before, save it if you think this band is for you. Fourth overall, first live favorites.

Little Creatures: Good album. Tends to be everyone's opinion on last good album. Includes a little less ambiance or the like, but takes in a self-described by the band country influence, which I kinda like. Under-rated, but save it for later.

True Stories: It's alright. Not a gem, pick it up if you decide to be a collector.

Naked: An experiment gone totally wrong, and not in a good way like before. For the artsy crowd I can understand why they will get it, but I say pick it if you dare, newbies stay away.

I haven't got any compilations, so there ya go. Enjoy.

"The Big Talking Heads Guy," I like it. Maybe I should change my name?

Symphony X

Smash Lord
David Byrne is the "leader" of Talking Heads? Wow. How did I not make that connection? I love David Byrne.

Thanks, and I will definitely start checking them out. Definitely change your username. For sure.

Oh, and about Jonathan Coulton. He has some great songs, but some bad too. A good majority of his songs come from the period were he wrote a song every week, and under that pressure, no one can write amazing songs every time. So if you hear a bad one, do not be scared away. My personal favorites include:
Code Monkey (Can be heard as the them to G4's "Code Monkeys")
The Future Soon
Skullcrusher Mountain
Chiron Beta Prime
Mr. Fancy Pants
I Feel Fantastic
re: Your Brains
Betty and Me
When I'm 25 and 64

If you just wanna skip to the really good ones.
Here you can listen to every song of his.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I saw him on YouTube (Yeah, it's working now. I bet in ten minutes it'll fall back down.) with The Presidents Song which I had a good laugh with. He should reprise it adding in accounts and candidates now. The "we have no money" line is still basically the same. I'll check out those songs too, I like his voice.

Before YouTube crashes down on me again, I'd like to say Maggot Brain is quite possibly the greatest guitar song ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12pywl9zNIE

Funkadelic > Parliament, but technically at the same time, Funkadelic = Parliament.

Bah, we could get into huge debates over it, but Funkadelic's overall rock feel compared to Parliament's straight up P-Funk appeal to me more, although both bands are ****ing amazing and revolutionary for their genres. **** you George Clinton for being such a genius!

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Symphony X.
Really? I never would've guessed.

Sarcasm aside, check em out guys. Not many people can try and revive Neo-Classical metal with Progressive and Symphonic qualities and get away with it.

Album recs: The Divine Wings of Tragedy (thanks for catching that) and V. Out of all the bands to get named "modern metal saviors," you never see these guys up there that often, it's usually given to bands much less deserving. When I say much, I mean much less deserving.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
Their lyrical themes are Anti-Christian. Automatic disqualification.
So ****ing what?! Seriously, so what? That doesn't affect a thing. Adds that atmosphere that not many bands have. It doesn't always have to be green fields with fluffy marshmallow clouds and and bunny's everywhere to be good. Don't be so shallow and close minded. Besides, the music itself is MUCH more important than whatever lyrical themes it had. And that shouldn't effect your judgment on the music. Why does everything against Christianity effect everyone's judgment? Bull****.

I like Death metal. Deicide sounded extremely good to me. So I liked it.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
So ****ing what?! Seriously, so what? That doesn't affect a thing. Adds that atmosphere that not many bands have. It doesn't always have to be green fields with fluffy marshmallow clouds and and bunny's everywhere to be good. Don't be so shallow and close minded. Besides, the music itself is MUCH more important than whatever lyrical themes it had. And that shouldn't effect your judgment on the music. Why does everything against Christianity effect everyone's judgment? Bull****.
Whoa whoa whoa. Chill out man. I wasn't being serious. I know that around metal you can't escape it. I'm a good Southern boy, so religion is important, but I'm also extremely tolerant. Sorry if I honestly offended you.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I like Death metal. Deicide sounded extremely good to me. So I liked it.
Fair enough. I've always been more of a Black and Thrash Metal guy myself, although, without a doubt, Death is one of the greatest metal bands of any genre.

What? You mean The Divine Wings of Tragedy?
That's the one >_>

Sad Wings of Destiny is a Judas Priest album.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
Whoa whoa whoa. Chill out man. I wasn't being serious. I know that around metal you can't escape it. I'm a good Southern boy, so religion is important, but I'm also extremely tolerant. Sorry if I honestly offended you.
Sorry for being a douche. -_-

I guess I get pissed off easily.

Top Bottom