• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best (And Worst) Designed Characters.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
The problem with olimar having 6 pikmin, is that he becomes more campy. He can risk less spamming forward b because he has a lot of pikmin. That is why they lowered the count. In my opinion, I think he needs more time in the meta before anyone makes decisions on what to do with him. His AI does some need stuff, so maybe follow that path first.
I think a character like olimar should be able to zone, with so few pikmin available and how slow he picks them out he cant really zone as he needs them for other other areas which are more important, there isnt room for fodder pikmin to get rid of so he can zone. Honestly its the only buff I want given back to olimar besides me wanting armor back on the whistle.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
I think a character like olimar should be able to zone, with so few pikmin available and how slow he picks them out he cant really zone as he needs them for other other areas which are more important, there isnt room for fodder pikmin to get rid of so he can zone. Honestly its the only buff I want given back to olimar besides me wanting armor back on the whistle.
I personally like the 4 pikmin. they survive a LOT longer than their vbrawl counterparts, and because there are only 4, they reward you for hitting the opponent rather than spamming them. It feels fair. On the other hand, he does need better design, he doesn't feel like he has changed much from brawl in terms of movesets, I think he needs something like a way to decide which pikmin he wants.

AstraEDM

Smash Ace
As a Mewtwo main, I'm biased, but the PM backroom did a PHENOMENAL job with making him competitive and still keeping his melee basics. I'm a sucker for long flashy combos and it doesn't get much flashier than an hover string into teleport aerial. He's also got a zoning game that's solid but not boring, and an overall good execution of a "wonky" character.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
As a Mewtwo main, I'm biased, but the PM backroom did a PHENOMENAL job with making him competitive and still keeping his melee basics. I'm a sucker for long flashy combos and it doesn't get much flashier than an hover string into teleport aerial. He's also got a zoning game that's solid but not boring, and an overall good execution of a "wonky" character.
I have never played as Mewtwo yet or fought him - until the past two days. I thought something was off about Mewtwo. Like his "rolling" animation is too wide and I'm pretty sure he could not use teleport to follow up into attacks. I assume he has a few more tweaks coming in the near future, mainly to his rolls, recovery, and shadow ball speed and/or range so he can't be the ultimate camper anymore. Other than that he seems fine, even if his tail range and speed is kind of hard to get around for the stubbier smashers.

V-K

Smash Ace
I actually think Fox should have the PAL up smash. It's still a finisher in PAL, but it doesn't kill people at 75%

AstraEDM

Smash Ace
I have never played as Mewtwo yet or fought him - until the past two days. I thought something was off about Mewtwo. Like his "rolling" animation is too wide and I'm pretty sure he could not use teleport to follow up into attacks. I assume he has a few more tweaks coming in the near future, mainly to his rolls, recovery, and shadow ball speed and/or range so he can't be the ultimate camper anymore. Other than that he seems fine, even if his tail range and speed is kind of hard to get around for the stubbier smashers.
As in, couldn't act out of tele? Or it's just pretty difficult to combo out of? I find that short hop > tele forward > hover fair can work as a launcher/combo finisher if they're low and your spacing is good.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
As in, couldn't act out of tele? Or it's just pretty difficult to combo out of? I find that short hop > tele forward > hover fair can work as a launcher/combo finisher if they're low and your spacing is good.
What I meant is that he does not have a helpless state after Up+B, so he can attack ASAP. It wasn't like that in Melee. So it just feels off. As for whether or not he should have an option to use teleport to lead into combos. . . I don't know. He certainly can make use of it; and it isn't too hard to see coming. But at the same time it still feels off.

AstraEDM

Smash Ace
What I meant is that he does not have a helpless state after Up+B, so he can attack ASAP. It wasn't like that in Melee. So it just feels off. As for whether or not he should have an option to use teleport to lead into combos. . . I don't know. He certainly can make use of it; and it isn't too hard to see coming. But at the same time it still feels off.
Oh, you didn't know about the change to tele, I gotcha. Honestly it came as a much needed buff IMO. Really enhances his bag-of-tricks kind of gameplay.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Oh, you didn't know about the change to tele, I gotcha. Honestly it came as a much needed buff IMO. Really enhances his bag-of-tricks kind of gameplay.
Yeah, that's why I can't bring myself to say "omg he doesn't need dat SOOOOOO unfair!!!" However, his tail attacks have all had their speed increased in some way and are also longer reaching, while having some nice launch power behind them. So it's not like he doesn't have quick or surprising things to use. I can see why they call him a janky character. He feels like Zelda, where changing one thing could ruin him or make him ruin others. So maybe he is perfect as is? Dunno.

AstraEDM

Smash Ace
Yeah, that's why I can't bring myself to say "omg he doesn't need dat SOOOOOO unfair!!!" However, his tail attacks have all had their speed increased in some way and are also longer reaching, while having some nice launch power behind them. So it's not like he doesn't have quick or surprising things to use. I can see why they call him a janky character. He feels like Zelda, where changing one thing could ruin him or make him ruin others. So maybe he is perfect as is? Dunno.
Very true. I guess we'll have to see where he goes after the metagame develops and we see some more high level m2s.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I actually think Fox should have the PAL up smash. It's still a finisher in PAL, but it doesn't kill people at 75%
You know, I keep hearing about how bad PAL Melee Fox is that he deserves to be pushed into obscurity. I wish I could actually get my hands on it so that I can see for myself. Although I am one of those people who thinks that the more lenient technical environment in Project M is very beneficial for Fox; maybe too much. His Neutral Game is very advantageous with his no stun rapid fire Blaster, speed and agility, and his Reflector to stop camping projectile characters. Of course, Fox does have one bad match-up thanks to the Blue Blur. Like I said, I am one of those people who narrows his eyes at the furry jerk but I know that nothing can be done about it since Melee vets see NTSC Melee Fox as a perfectly balanced character. I don't know why I rant; I just do. :p

As for who is the best designed, I'd have to choose Link. Link can actually press the offensive without having to operate on defense at first. Every tool he has in his arsenal has a purpose and can be used to defeat virtually any opponent if used correctly. His new Tipper system makes him a bit more daring since he has to be closer to his opponent to get the most damage/hit stun to try nullify CC tactics. The Hylian Shield itself acts as a nice second defense to block projectiles while still being ready to attack. It's hilarious to stop an Aura Bomb or a Charge Shot with it. You can still move forward slightly and use the shield to block projectiles as you advance and not to mention that you can block low projectiles with crouching. 3.0 Link feels like a very balanced fighter that requires skill to win at high level. It especially makes me happy that he isn't stuck with his missed Melee Grab lag or even his Brawl grab lag which always leaves him open for a charged Smash attack.

Senpai♥

"I'm an earthquake in a can!"
I honestly think Zelda has to be the worst designed character, but I don't have much to contribute that hasn't been said twenty times in the thread already.

As stupid as I think Nayru's Love is, my real issue with Zelda is that when you finally bait her into something and go to catch her, you don't get a lot of leeway in punishing her... she's very combo resilient, and I really don't like that.

I feel that as a character who is so focused on zoning, she should be much more susceptible to punishment when somebody actually does get in on her than she is now. As it is now, you get a couple smacks on her here and there between dodging a world of harassment from her in the form of Din's Fire and long-lasting disjointed hitboxes, and... that's it.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I don't see how Zelda is the worst designed. She is a defensive character that relies on trap-based combat to limit her opponent's options. Of course she'll be hard to get a combo going due to her light weight. She attacks somewhat slow, she moves slow, and doesn't have a good wavedash length. If you're letting her get the time to set up traps with Din's Fire, then you're doing something wrong. The problem that people see in Zelda is that they don't know the matchup. Zelda is fine as she is.

Bowser on the other hand is in a very precarious position when it comes to design. I don't know how you can balance a tank like Bowser without making him be too good. His biggest weakness is lack of approach which only makes small stages a godsend for Bowser players. He's in a bad way at the moment with the changes on 3.0 although the fair tipper is a nice change. You give him too much of a buff on his approaching game and he'll be considered as toxic like 2.1 Ike or 2.5 Sonic. Give him too little and he'll still have a terrible neutral game where he has to rely on small stages so that he doesn't have to go too far to get his opponent. Like I said, I don't know how you can balance a character like Bowser. He's sort of an extreme character.

V-K

Smash Ace
You know, I keep hearing about how bad PAL Melee Fox is that he deserves to be pushed into obscurity. I wish I could actually get my hands on it so that I can see for myself. Although I am one of those people who thinks that the more lenient technical environment in Project M is very beneficial for Fox; maybe too much. His Neutral Game is very advantageous with his no stun rapid fire Blaster, speed and agility, and his Reflector to stop camping projectile characters. Of course, Fox does have one bad match-up thanks to the Blue Blur. Like I said, I am one of those people who narrows his eyes at the furry jerk but I know that nothing can be done about it since Melee vets see NTSC Melee Fox as a perfectly balanced character. I don't know why I rant; I just do. :p
Do people really think that Fox is perfectly balanced? I mean his up-smash seems to me like the best move in the entire game, is there anything comparable? Especially because most PM characters are not fast fallers, he is incredibly well equipped to destroy everyone.

I just think the PAL up smash would be better, but if the PMBR doesn't think so.. oh well, I guess we will see many more Fox players in tourny finals.

NWRL

Smash Ace
Do people really think that Fox is perfectly balanced? I mean his up-smash seems to me like the best move in the entire game, is there anything comparable? Especially because most PM characters are not fast fallers, he is incredibly well equipped to destroy everyone.

I just think the PAL up smash would be better, but if the PMBR doesn't think so.. oh well, I guess we will see many more Fox players in tourny finals.
It's akin to Stockholm Syndrome honestly

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman

Shiek tipper usmash, marth tipper usmash, and pika usmash are all stronger than Fox's. But it is all apples to oranges anyway.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718

The reason why I say this is because they see Fox as an extreme character that requires on point precision and can get combo'd or chaingrabbed pretty easily and not to mention that his recovery is quite predictable and easy to intercept. That sort of thing is why not every matchup in Melee was in his favor which is why lot of Melee vets see him as a balanced character, but at the same time he didn't have a single bad matchup. Here we are in Project M, the characters have receieved some changes but Fox is still Fox while control over your character more lenient. I play Fox more in Project M than in Melee because control over your character is more lenient than it is in Melee. Sure, he does take skill but the tech skill barrier is much lower than it is in Melee. The control scheme for Melee felt justified for Fox's neutral game and moveset because you have to be on point with your inputs. With Project M, I'm not sure if it is justified. Problem is, we have Falco with a single fire blaster that has hitstun so changing Fox's neutral game which is advantageous because of the Blaster won't happen. Kinda funny that the Blaster change from 64 to Melee was supposed to be seen as a nerf when it elevated his gameplay.

It's akin to Stockholm Syndrome honestly
I'm not sure about the whole Stockholm syndrome deal, but hey let's go with that if we must. :p

Shiek tipper usmash, marth tipper usmash, and pika usmash are all stronger than Fox's. But it is all apples to oranges anyway.
It is true that those upSmash attacks are more powerful than Fox's, but they aren't as versatile. The difference is in the hitbox placement and how close you must be to your opponent. Fox's Up Smash can cover his front before completing the flip. I think it might cover maybe 4 or 6 pixels length. I don't know, I'm trying to science.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero

Nothing in any smash game will ever as stupid as Pikachu's fair in Smash 64. If a move has endlag, or has low active frames, or long start up, short range, etc., it can be punished. The only moves that approach this level of stupidity in the game are Shine, Cypher, and in some aspects, Zelda's F-smash. Fox's U-smash is a strong move that comes out quickly and is promptly grabbed on shield or otherwise harshly punished on whiff.

If any part of Fox's design is to be addressed, it should be shine and/or his dashes that invalidate large portions of engagement.

Last edited:

NWRL

Smash Ace
Easiest way to fix Fox is to give him Falco's reflector from Brawl. And turn him into Slippy

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Nothing in any smash game will ever as stupid as Pikachu's fair in Smash 64. If a move has endlag, or has low active frames, or long start up, short range, etc., it can be punished. The only moves that approach this level of stupidity in the game are Shine, Cypher, and in some aspects, Zelda's F-smash. Fox's U-smash is a strong move that comes out quickly and is promptly grabbed on shield or otherwise harshly punished on whiff.

If any part of Fox's design is to be addressed, it should be shine and/or his dashes that invalidate large portions of engagement.
To be fair, the Cypher is Snake's only good OOS option against harsh shield pressure like when Fox just nair+Shine all over your shield...

Papa+Stone

Banned via Administration
Easiest way to fix Fox is to give him Falco's reflector from Brawl. And turn him into Slippy
No that suggestion is disgusting

Ugh this is spiderman aids level bs I can guarantee that pm would be 20% less interesting without the godsend that is the shine. If you want to nerf fox the right way then change the input for shine to up speical and fox fire to down special and I promise you would never see fox players dominating anything ever again

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I don't see how Zelda is the worst designed. She is a defensive character that relies on trap-based combat to limit her opponent's options. Of course she'll be hard to get a combo going due to her light weight. She attacks somewhat slow, she moves slow, and doesn't have a good wavedash length. If you're letting her get the time to set up traps with Din's Fire, then you're doing something wrong. The problem that people see in Zelda is that they don't know the matchup. Zelda is fine as she is.
PM is a fast-paced game. Zelda's best and safest asset is using her mines to camp behind; it gives her time to relax and has high room for error. So a lot of people see her played this way since it's the go-to tactic (due to efficiency for wins). If she loses the camping tools (mines), she is forced to be her old passive-aggressive self. Her original definition of defense was "play smart, play hard - steal their momentum and crush their chances of applying pressure by sending them far away with lingering disjointed attacks." PM Zelda's definition of defense is, yep, you guessed it, camping. Which is very unsavory and out of place in a fast-paced game.

So let's channel her annoying and out of place style into an accurate analogy.

So all the PM characters are driving on a road with a bunch of other fighters. The right lane is for faster folks, often called the fast lane. The PM characters all agree they should be over there, because they are all fast paced people. So Zelda follows her fellow fighters and pops over to the fast lane just fine. But soon, a lot of people are angry with her. Everyone is yelling at her to switch lanes. Her PM friends are nicer and just say she should drive like the rest of the PM gang, but she doesn't understand what that means. So she begins crying at the wheel. "I don't get why everyone says I don't fit in here! I'm driving super safe by staying 5-10MPH under the highway's speed limit. Why do they want me to change the way I'm driving?"

It's exactly like that. Pick up the pace or GTFO of the fast lane, girlie.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
PM is a fast-paced game. Zelda's best and safest asset is using her mines to camp behind; it gives her time to relax and has high room for error. So a lot of people see her played this way since it's the go-to tactic (due to efficiency for wins). If she loses the camping tools (mines), she is forced to be her old passive-aggressive self. Her original definition of defense was "play smart, play hard - steal their momentum and crush their chances of applying pressure by sending them far away with lingering disjointed attacks." PM Zelda's definition of defense is, yep, you guessed it, camping. Which is very unsavory and out of place in a fast-paced game.

So let's channel her annoying and out of place style into an accurate analogy.

So all the PM characters are driving on a road with a bunch of other fighters. The right lane is for faster folks, often called the fast lane. The PM characters all agree they should be over there, because they are all fast paced people. So Zelda follows her fellow fighters and pops over to the fast lane just fine. But soon, a lot of people are angry with her. Everyone is yelling at her to switch lanes. Her PM friends are nicer and just say she should drive like the rest of the PM gang, but she doesn't understand what that means. So she begins crying at the wheel. "I don't get why everyone says I don't fit in here! I'm driving super safe by staying 5-10MPH under the highway's speed limit. Why do they want me to change the way I'm driving?"

It's exactly like that. Pick up the pace or GTFO of the fast lane, girlie.
First off, that analogy is a total WTF moment there. The style that she has is the one that works for her right now. Every character in the game doesn't need to be fast like Fox. Look at Bowser and the style that he has to play by. The design that she had in Melee was not enough to be used at high level play and it was why she was overshadowed by her alter ego because Shiek seemed more fast paced. I have seen some very aggressive Zelda players that use Din's to lock characters down and pop in your face for combo opportunities with Farore's Wind. Camping with Din's Fire isn't going to work at high level play. It clanks with virtually every move in Project M and it won't do damage to you until it is placed which shouldn't be a problem in a fast-paced environment. Her defense uses Din's as a way to limit her opponent's options. You are doing something wrong if you're letting her get the time to set up walls of pain. If you honestly think that Zelda can camp for a long time with Din's Fire, then you don't know the matchup against her as it is impossible for her to camp with Din's Fire at high level play. Her definition of defense is still to play smart and steal their momentum as well as applying pressure.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
First off, that analogy is a total WTF moment there. The style that she has is the one that works for her right now. Every character in the game doesn't need to be fast like Fox. Look at Bowser and the style that he has to play by. The design that she had in Melee was not enough to be used at high level play and it was why she was overshadowed by her alter ego because Shiek seemed more fast paced. I have seen some very aggressive Zelda players that use Din's to lock characters down and pop in your face for combo opportunities with Farore's Wind. Camping with Din's Fire isn't going to work at high level play. It clanks with virtually every move in Project M and it won't do damage to you until it is placed which shouldn't be a problem in a fast-paced environment. Her defense uses Din's as a way to limit her opponent's options. You are doing something wrong if you're letting her get the time to set up walls of pain. If you honestly think that Zelda can camp for a long time with Din's Fire, then you don't know the matchup against her as it is impossible for her to camp with Din's Fire at high level play. Her definition of defense is still to play smart and steal their momentum as well as applying pressure.
I don't see how the analogy is WTF, it pretty much says "she's not playing by the rules everyone else is playing and that's annoying" or "she's going too slow in this fast game." In matches against fast opponents, (Captain Falcon, Marth, etc) they apply too much pressure for her to set up. Against slower ones she just has at it. She uses Din's Fire to set up the field so she knows where the other player CAN'T go. Often resulting in her playing "can't touch this" or "I'm all up in your biscuits and gravy." The latter is fine and requires skill, but I don't see a lot of it. People opt to go for wall of fire and call it a day. Either way, her gameplay is out of place and needs a slight change in pace. Though as long as she has transform she will probably remain that way for the sake of being a 1/2 to something that's already a whole by itself.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I don't see how the analogy is WTF, it pretty much says "she's not playing by the rules everyone else is playing and that's annoying" or "she's going too slow in this fast game." In matches against fast opponents, (Captain Falcon, Marth, etc) they apply too much pressure for her to set up. Against slower ones she just has at it. She uses Din's Fire to set up the field so she knows where the other player CAN'T go. Often resulting in her playing "can't touch this" or "I'm all up in your biscuits and gravy." The latter is fine and requires skill, but I don't see a lot of it. People opt to go for wall of fire and call it a day. Either way, her gameplay is out of place and needs a slight change in pace. Though as long as she has transform she will probably remain that way for the sake of being a 1/2 to something that's already a whole by itself.
If she wins by camping with Din's fire, then that's because her opponent doesn't know the match up. It is impossible for her to win at high level play like that. Whenever I see Zelda players like Zhime or Gardy play, they play it smart by using Din's to limit their opponent's options and give her a chance to deal her own pressure. Zelda's play style is different, no doubt. That doesn't mean that every character has to play at a fast pace. Snake is another example of a character that has to play smart because he can't win by brute force anymore.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
Still waiting for Zone to pick Zelda up in PM and body the entire scene here, she is solid and I'm not sure how I feel about the changes made to her myself. Her melee playstyle is mostly intact, and everything else about her is better, or at least that seems to be the case in my untrained eye. Her smash attacks are silly against pretty much everyone, though you can asdi down through her upsmash as a fastfaller if you get hit towards the outside. Getting grabbed is near Ice-Climber levels of misery, the super hitbox that kills at like 50% seems unnecessary and inconsistent, and naru's is just silly looking. Really I don't know how I feel about her, trying to take her on as anything remotely fast-falling or short-ranged is probably one of the most frustrating, stressful, and un-interactive/un-intuitive aspects of this game. But i think that may be the point soooo yeah.

Last edited:

The_NZA

Smash Lord
If she wins by camping with Din's fire, then that's because her opponent doesn't know the match up. It is impossible for her to win at high level play like that. Whenever I see Zelda players like Zhime or Gardy play, they play it smart by using Din's to limit their opponent's options and give her a chance to deal her own pressure. Zelda's play style is different, no doubt. That doesn't mean that every character has to play at a fast pace. Snake is another example of a character that has to play smart because he can't win by brute force anymore.
I've played Zhime's Zelda, and he doesn't play the campy style. He's actually the only fun Zelda I've ever had the pleasure of playing against, and if every zelda player played like Zhime, I probably wouldn't have problems. But you overrate the ability of characters to disrupt Zelda's minefield. Ness for example has very few options.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I've played Zhime's Zelda, and he doesn't play the campy style. He's actually the only fun Zelda I've ever had the pleasure of playing against, and if every zelda player played like Zhime, I probably wouldn't have problems. But you overrate the ability of characters to disrupt Zelda's minefield. Ness for example has very few options.
That's why there are match up disadvantages. It really is doable to disrupt her minefield. Nearly any attack clanks with Din's Fire. I know that doesn't mean that everybody's attacks can do it like Ness for instance. One of his options bring him very close to danger because he has to be on top of a mine to absorb the initial damage with Down B. Zelda is fine the way that she is and taking away her mines would leave Zelda being overshadowed by Sheik once again.

NWRL

Smash Ace
No that suggestion is disgusting

Ugh this is spiderman aids level bs I can guarantee that pm would be 20% less interesting without the godsend that is the shine. If you want to nerf fox the right way then change the input for shine to up speical and fox fire to down special and I promise you would never see fox players dominating anything ever again
Are you racist against Toads?
Do you want me to slap your ****?

Rizner

Smash Ace
How'd you feel about mine? I generally don't consider myself campy.

But with Zelda, she has some good matchups like Ness and Ganon, and when playing those characters you're going to have to have some bad matchups. It's just part of what it is -- the character isn't overpowered but she has options which hurt a lot of what your character can do. Most of the cast has this problem against somebody, and to fix it you either have to really outplay your opponent or use a secondary, imo.

Not that DJ knows the matchup, but if Zelda's weakness is speed and pressure, then Fox should be her worst match-up.
I think what's been stated a lot in here is that Zelda beats people who don't know the matchup. Realistically, if you wanted one character who veries in ability to win based on MU experience the most, imo it'd be Zelda. So with that, when you start of with DJ not knowing the matchup, I think that you don't give that part of your statement enough credit.

Having said that, Zelda can combo fox pretty well -- I'd say that matchup is semi-close to even (which isn't a bad thing -- fox needs some even matchups) in this game. I'd say the worst spacie for her is Wolf (in my experience, but maybe because I've played against fox a lot more than wolf).

One character I wonder what people think about is Kirby. I have mixed feelings -- his kit was changed slightly to make him better adapt to the melee game, but in doing so he doesn't play the same way he does in any of the games.. at least not the way I have played him. He has a lot of things which look good on paper but still has plenty of bad matchups from what I've experienced (lucas and marth come to mind), and he doesn't seem to offer much to bring him to the top level competetively. He's fun to use, but it doesn't feel like the Kirby I have used in the past.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
How'd you feel about mine? I generally don't consider myself campy.

But with Zelda, she has some good matchups like Ness and Ganon, and when playing those characters you're going to have to have some bad matchups. It's just part of what it is -- the character isn't overpowered but she has options which hurt a lot of what your character can do. Most of the cast has this problem against somebody, and to fix it you either have to really outplay your opponent or use a secondary, imo.
Okay, I want to preface everything I am about to say by stating something pretty important: You have shown incredible grace and politeness in face of what I have thrown at you after our money match. I still find the amount of frustration I vented to you after the match to be totally unsportsman like and not really becoming of the kind of player I want to be. I am a fan of you as a person and look forward to seeing you again. But I am not a fan of your character or the way you play her.

To be clear, it doesn't have to do with a "lack of character knowledge" and "disadvantaged matchups." Those things don't bothered me, a Ness player. I'm a classic Melee Ness main. Like many Ness players, I always believed there was an indepth knowledge in controlling each of Ness's jump heights which, when mastered, could matter more than matchup statistics. So I was fine playing for years in disadvantaged matchups, just because I was so enamored by Ness's fundamentals and the "infinite potential" that they could unlock (as far as I can tell, this is a common "Ness player archetype"). I will lose to Marths, Links, Shieks and I find it okay. Those three matchups are probably just as bad for Ness, but they feel much more "fair" because it feels like as I get better, It directly translates to me doing better at that matchup.

To address the "character knowledge" part of it, a week before Apex, I played against Sanity Thief's Zelda for a set or two, getting beat pretty badly (didn't understand the character that well at the time). I hung with KDJ a few days later and told him I was terrified of Zelda. We played the matchup for over an hour (I got 2-3 stocked almost each time). I then read my Apex Pool and realized I would have to face Salem. I played Salem in a set, getting exposure to another Zelda. Then I money matched your Zelda. That night, I hung with Zhime, talked about how much this character pissed me off, and I played Zhime's Zelda four or five times. In at least 2 or 3 of my matches with Zhime, I brought it down to last stock. I have at this point played against 5 different Zelda's, which is more character exposure I have than to most characters in PM.

I think Zhime's Zelda was more stylistically impressive but more risk taking than your Zelda. I think Zhime is obviously of a higher skill caliber than you (or I), but what I found interesting was that it was actually easier in a way to win an engagement in neutral against him than it was against you. That's because I think you play Zelda in theoretically one of the most abusive ways I've been exposed to (which is partially why I was so mad). I wish we got it on video so I could point to specifics, but you spent most of the match jumping away and dins firing, teleporting away and repeating that process. You never engaged in neutral. And when I eventually ran around with my doofy ness legs, absorbing or nariing away fireballs and trying to aggressively pinpoint where you were going to be and committing, I'd get nayru loved, double fair/baired, usmashed into fair or something else that was executionally easy and silly effective.

It felt like I was playing harder, faster, and fiercer for all of my connections and engagements but the rewards weren't there. It felt like I was playing a high risk low reward game, and you were playing a low risk high reward game, and that to me is the problem with Zelda. I've said it before: if everyone played Zelda like Zhime, I probably wouldn't have as many issues. But the fact of the matter is, her toolset allows players to play campier (like yourself, Rizner), and that's a very effective way to play.

Honestly, I've learned the error of my ways. I secondary Shiek now, and I tried out Zelda and her optimal play style is easier to emulate than I imagined. Honestly, lightening kicking for the "brawl" sweetspots of her heels is not executionally hard (its easier for me than landing a knee). I find her to be one of the easiest characters to do the bread and butter damage with, so now I secondary her and shiek. I most likely will play Zelda much like you played her, because I think its one of the most conservative, easy, and effective playstyles to adopt. It's somewhat similar to how Salem plays her (but he teleports in neutral, aggressively a bit more).

Rizner

Smash Ace
Okay, I want to preface everything I am about to say by stating something pretty important: You have shown incredible grace and politeness in face of what I have thrown at you after our money match. I still find the amount of frustration I vented to you after the match to be totally unsportsman like and not really becoming of the kind of player I want to be. I am a fan of you as a person and look forward to seeing you again. But I am not a fan of your character or the way you play her.

To be clear, it doesn't have to do with a "lack of character knowledge" and "disadvantaged matchups." Those things don't bothered me, a Ness player. I'm a classic Melee Ness main. Like many Ness players, I always believed there was an indepth knowledge in controlling each of Ness's jump heights which, when mastered, could matter more than matchup statistics. So I was fine playing for years in disadvantaged matchups, just because I was so enamored by Ness's fundamentals and the "infinite potential" that they could unlock (as far as I can tell, this is a common "Ness player archetype"). I will lose to Marths, Links, Shieks and I find it okay. Those three matchups are probably just as bad for Ness, but they feel much more "fair" because it feels like as I get better, It directly translates to me doing better at that matchup.

To address the "character knowledge" part of it, a week before Apex, I played against Sanity Thief's Zelda for a set or two, getting beat pretty badly (didn't understand the character that well at the time). I hung with KDJ a few days later and told him I was terrified of Zelda. We played the matchup for over an hour (I got 2-3 stocked almost each time). I then read my Apex Pool and realized I would have to face Salem. I played Salem in a set, getting exposure to another Zelda. Then I money matched your Zelda. That night, I hung with Zhime, talked about how much this character pissed me off, and I played Zhime's Zelda four or five times. In at least 2 or 3 of my matches with Zhime, I brought it down to last stock. I have at this point played against 5 different Zelda's, which is more character exposure I have than to most characters in PM.

I think Zhime's Zelda was more stylistically impressive but more risk taking than your Zelda. I think Zhime is obviously of a higher skill caliber than you (or I), but what I found interesting was that it was actually easier in a way to win an engagement in neutral against him than it was against you. That's because I think you play Zelda in theoretically one of the most abusive ways I've been exposed to (which is partially why I was so mad). I wish we got it on video so I could point to specifics, but you spent most of the match jumping away and dins firing, teleporting away and repeating that process. You never engaged in neutral. And when I eventually ran around with my doofy ness legs, absorbing or nariing away fireballs and trying to aggressively pinpoint where you were going to be and committing, I'd get nayru loved, double fair/baired, usmashed into fair or something else that was executionally easy and silly effective.

It felt like I was playing harder, faster, and fiercer for all of my connections and engagements but the rewards weren't there. It felt like I was playing a high risk low reward game, and you were playing a low risk high reward game, and that to me is the problem with Zelda. I've said it before: if everyone played Zelda like Zhime, I probably wouldn't have as many issues. But the fact of the matter is, her toolset allows players to play campier (like yourself, Rizner), and that's a very effective way to play.

Honestly, I've learned the error of my ways. I secondary Shiek now, and I tried out Zelda and her optimal play style is easier to emulate than I imagined. Honestly, lightening kicking for the "brawl" sweetspots of her heels is not executionally hard (its easier for me than landing a knee). I find her to be one of the easiest characters to do the bread and butter damage with, so now I secondary her and shiek. I most likely will play Zelda much like you played her, because I think its one of the most conservative, easy, and effective playstyles to adopt. It's somewhat similar to how Salem plays her (but he teleports in neutral, aggressively a bit more).
Interesting - definitely appreciate the feedback. I think that some of those traits were exacerbated due to the matchup and knowing that it shuts down your character (where I couldn't play that way against others of the cast on most stages), but I'm going to have to try to get lots of video at my next tournament and see how I play against most people and most matchups. I don't think I generally play that way, but it wouldn't surprise me too much to realize that's the case. Definitely something to look out for. It could even be that in tournament/mm I play differently than friendlies without noticing it, but regardless thank you for the reply.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
To me Toon Links design is the worst. I also hate the trajectory design of Links projectiles because it disables his Melee style projectile game instead of preserving it. Also Olimar is weird but unique so he is all good I suppose. From a biased point of view I really like GnW's and Bowser's design. Though I think GnW's down b should be less laggy so he can catch projectiles without getting punished for it and he seems to need some sort of a minor buff(s). Anyways for best designed, Mario is perfect. Also I really like Zelda's and Roy's design.

Last edited:

&Y_

Smash Cadet
. Though I think GnW's down b should be less laggy so he can catch projectiles without getting punished for it and he seems to need some sort of a minor buff(s). Anyways for best designed, Mario is perfect. Also I really like Zelda's and Roy's design.
GnW can release bucket after catching something. Use this as a mix up to cover the lag. It's pretty awesome imo.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
To me Toon Links design is the worst. I also hate the trajectory design of Links projectiles because it disables his Melee style projectile game instead of preserving it. Also Olimar is weird but unique so he is all good I suppose. From a biased point of view I really like GnW's and Bowser's design. Though I think GnW's down b should be less laggy so he can catch projectiles without getting punished for it and he seems to need some sort of a minor buff(s). Anyways for best designed, Mario is perfect. Also I really like Zelda's and Roy's design.
I don't see how Link's projectiles have any big problems as he can put up an offensive game with all of his tools and not just a select few to top it with Nair. Link in Project M 3.0 is probably the best iteration of Link I have seen in any of the Smash games. If it improves on his combo game, then why revert back to his Melee style? I mean, he is arguably the worst punished character for missed grabs in Melee which held back his close combat game.

PrincessAzula

Smash Apprentice
The Zelda salt in this thread is kind of crazy.

From the way you people talk about her it seems like all you do is sit around and play super campy Zelda's all day. Not all Zelda's play like that.

And I for one, think it's nice to have some variety in the smash cast. I don't want every character to be a rushdown character. That's just bland. I'm glad we have characters that focus more on stage control, such as Ivy, Snake, and Zelda (And Mewtwo to an extent).

Also I sorta find it funny that people are complaining about Nayru's and not complaining about Fox's usmash (??????)

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
The Zelda salt in this thread is kind of crazy.

From the way you people talk about her it seems like all you do is sit around and play super campy Zelda's all day. Not all Zelda's play like that.

And I for one, think it's nice to have some variety in the smash cast. I don't want every character to be a rushdown character. That's just bland. I'm glad we have characters that focus more on stage control, such as Ivy, Snake, and Zelda (And Mewtwo to an extent).

Also I sorta find it funny that people are complaining about Nayru's and not complaining about Fox's usmash (??????)
I agree with it all except the implying that people should complain about foxes up-smash, Fox is fine as he is.

Top Bottom