• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best (And Worst) Designed Characters.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
No one is badly designed anymore IMO. There are some that feel incomplete and unpolished. Wolf for example feels perfect, but Ness from a design perspective still has issues (centralized on PKfire being the best option in neutral)

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I think diddy is really well designed. I love his his whole kits flows together, all his AT allows for fun, tricky setups and a lot of flexible movement.

Fox has an atrocious design though. Lets be real, one frame hitboxes that are cancelable immediately? Sakurai wai

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I think diddy is really well designed. I love his his whole kits flows together, all his AT allows for fun, tricky setups and a lot of flexible movement.

Fox has an atrocious design though. Lets be real, one frame hitboxes that are cancelable immediately? Sakurai wai
I think Fox is beautifully designed. It's one of those funny things where on paper it seems much worse than in reality. Like float cancelling: a 0 lag aerial seems tooooo good.

Really, I only think Fox Usmash/uair are bull****.

Peño

Smash Rookie
The fireball is almost useless on Zelda now, but I don't think she's that weird.
I really like what they did with Roy.

Rizner

Smash Ace
The fireball is almost useless on Zelda now, but I don't think she's that weird.
I really like what they did with Roy.
What makes you think that? Fireballs imo are super useful, and not using them would make certain matchups harder than necessary

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Olimar for worst, but that's more of a consequence of how he was designed by Brawl devs rather than how he was changed by the P:M team. I think that character's design is beyond recovery, ggs.

Also a lot of people are going to disagree with me, but I also find Marth to be a boring character in terms of design. In general I feel that his moveset, interactions with the opponent, and process of decision making are very repetitive and simple and therefore uninteresting to me.

NWRL

Smash Ace

Better get your flameshield prepped brother

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
As a G&W main, I hate ROB's, Sonic's, TLink's and Peach's designs because they are so unfun to play against.

Looking at these characters without my main in mind, I only think ROB is seriously badly designed.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Better get your flameshield prepped brother
As a fox main in melee, I'm pretty sure most other fox mains accept the bull**** parts about the character. I love his movement, and his kit fits so well together. I just think that having the potential for truly safe shield pressure with no holes in it, in a game where the aggressor normally is the one who has to risk something, is kinda stupid.

NWRL

Smash Ace
As a fox main in melee, I'm pretty sure most other fox mains accept the bull**** parts about the character. I love his movement, and his kit fits so well together. I just think that having the potential for truly safe shield pressure with no holes in it, in a game where the aggressor normally is the one who has to risk something, is kinda stupid.
He's designed well thematically and he embodies a lot of Melee's gameplay. But his design is extremely toxic to game health for the reason that you mentioned. And as far as I know STILL has no bad matchups in P:M.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
He's designed well thematically and he embodies a lot of Melee's gameplay. But his design is extremely toxic to game health for the reason that you mentioned. And as far as I know STILL has no bad matchups in P:M.
I really think this is too early to say. A combination of more frequent super armor, larger hit boxes like Ike's, and unique movement options makes Fox's most polarizing gameplay characteristics (his sick dash dance) far less of a problem. For all anyoen knows, Mewtwo/Roy/Kirby might have advantages against Fox.

Arrow (Kyle)

Smash Apprentice
Pit is the worst character design to me, but mostly because I came to P:M after years of being a Pit main on Brawl. He's and angel, that free falls so damn fast >_> I'm mostly being a baby about Pit not being like his Brawl version, but the design does fit more into what P:M was going for in the first place. Samus being so damn floaty and Pit not will forever make me rage though.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I actually think Ike has one of the best designs, as he both has a strong identity in his playstyle while stlil maintaining obvious weaknesses.

Bleck

Smash Master
Pikachu, for the same reasons that I've thought Pikachu was poorly designed for over a decade, now.

NWRL

Smash Ace
Captain Falcon is my choice for best designed. He has very clear strengths and weaknesses, and I personally believe he embodies Melee gameplay to the tee, even moreso than Fox.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
Best designed? Wolf just feels so damn smooth, from neutral game to combo to KO.

Worst? People always complain about Zelda because she plays so differently from the rest of the cast, but I actually like the variety. My personal choices for worst design are Pikachu and Olimar. They were just really bland designs to start with, and the PMBR hasn't gotten around to spicing them up yet.

NWRL

Smash Ace
Best designed? Wolf just feels so damn smooth, from neutral game to combo to KO.

Worst? People always complain about Zelda because she plays so differently from the rest of the cast, but I actually like the variety. My personal choices for worst design are Pikachu and Olimar. They were just really bland designs to start with, and the PMBR hasn't gotten around to spicing them up yet.
Wolf is definitely the PMBR's gem. He's fast paced and technical like the other spacies but with his own flair (and a lil' bit of Falcon sprinkled in there).

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Olimar for worst, but that's more of a consequence of how he was designed by Brawl devs rather than how he was changed by the P:M team. I think that character's design is beyond recovery, ggs.

Also a lot of people are going to disagree with me, but I also find Marth to be a boring character in terms of design. In general I feel that his moveset, interactions with the opponent, and process of decision making are very repetitive and simple and therefore uninteresting to me.
Maybe you feel this way because Marth hasn't changed that much overall?

On a personal note, I dislike the way ROB was designed. Samus is cool, but missiles are a pain to go through. lol

SunJester

Smash Ace
I'm assuming you mean PMBR (Brawl) characters. Wario, Wolf and Lucas are all beastly, and super fun to watch.

I'm not a fan of Olimar, I played him for two matches and went "ehhh" He might become more interesting as people figure out the different Pikmin strategies though. Also Falco's land-cancellable lasers used for anything other than approaching a close opponent are really stupid. A character with one of the best combo games in the game, should NOT be able to play campy.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
Melee Marth is the simplest, most elegant character design in the entire Smash series, in my opinion.

Best P:M character design? Wolf, Charizard and Wario are all designed very well. These characters really feel like themselves. They play exactly as you'd expect them to but they all have an incredible amount of depth to their kits. I feel they encapsulate a core design philosophy behind Smash Bros.; sophistication via simplicity.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Here are my picks for best and worst designed characters overall, as they exist in PM 3.0, regardless of who (PMBR vs Melee team vs Brawl team) did which parts of designing them.

Best:
Wolf, MK, Mario, Captain Falcon, Ike, and maybe Link.
I think they all embody what I consider to be quintessential Smash. They all feel very smooth to play as (to me) and have interesting strengths and weaknesses as characters.

Worst:
Zelda, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Squirtle, Lucas, ROB, Snake, Sonic.
Of course this is personal opinion. But I feel like these characters do not play enough like Smash characters. Variety is good, but I think they are mostly too far removed from the basics and the things that made Melee so huge in the first place.
Lucas because I think his combo strings are a little too long, Lucario because of the cancel system, and everyone else because they force you to play a different game -- their game. It was said by some that HBox was "ruining Melee" with his style of Jigglypuff play. While I don't necessarily agree with that, I think those detractors were on to something at least. Characters like these completely change the way a match is played and I don't consider it for the better. I'm not saying these characters make me hate the game or that I think they're "ruining" anything, but I do dislike them for that reason.

Last edited:

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
I don't see how you can like Mario but dislike Squirtle. Squirtle is fast-falling Mario if you don't try to focus on his bonkers run.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
For me, the worst character to play as/against is Pikachu. He's just so incredibly boring. Olimar too has some issues but I'm guessing the PMBR will do adjustments over time.

Besides these 2, the cast is extremely well designed with a lot of diversity. Dunno why people find Zelda boring, to each their own taste I guess. Oh, and they definitely succeeded at making Wolf feel like a legitimate spacie.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I don't see how you can like Mario but dislike Squirtle. Squirtle is fast-falling Mario if you don't try to focus on his bonkers run.
Other than a few visually similar moves I dont think these two characters actually play as similarly as you imply.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
He's got too much going for him and not enough weaknesses.
He is really hard to kill because he is a floaty heavyweight character and because his recovery options are crazy. 3 airdashes, a jump, a possible AGT, dair, bair and an airdodge is too much. He also has 2 longe-range projectiles that he can use while he is recovering with ease.

His laser takes ~10 seconds to fully charge and after he uses the fully charged laser he gets to use an even faster weaker one. His top is incredibly good for stage control and edgeguarding and he can constantly spew them out.

He can airdodge after using his recovery moves and his spot dodge is one of the best.

Most of his attacks come out pretty fast and don't suffer from too much endlag. I find this kind of strange coming from a heavy character.

His grab range and dash grab range are amazing and his dthrow is one of the best in the game. His uthrow is pretty damn good at killing too.

All of those are some good traits he has, but I think his airdash really puts him over the top. The mobility he gains from that thing is insane and completely transforms the character into something that changes how the game is played. Mobility is something that is really important in both melee and PM and the airdash completely ****s on pretty much all of the other character's mobility options. If he gets a good ground hit on an opponent, he can chase down that opponent from anywhere in the air and safely land an aerial. This airdash also INCREASES the strength of his aerial attacks, something I find so uneccesary because his aerials are already so good! His fair is fast and good for gimping, and his other aerials are all strong as ****.

One of his only weaknesses is how easy airdash->fair is to predict, but the problem here is how hard it is to actually punish because of how fast he can do it over and over again due to his fast fall speed. If you could provide me with more weaknesses I would greatly appreciate it.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
My worst designed goes to Dedede, simply because of how clunky he feels. (That's just me though)

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
the best PM characters are without a doubt lucas, wolf and wario, they just have such an amazing kit and their design is incredible to me, i personally love them and i think they are the more intresting PM characters, in the veteran section, Fox, Falcon, and marth are my favs, they represent smash (to me of course)

Worst design goes to Ivy (simply bc i don't like the character), Olimar (super boring to watch and play) and DDD (he's one of my mains, i like his style but the problem is he basically only has like 2 styles, he needs something more) and Ganon (needs something, i dunno what but he needs something to spice him up AND get better as a character)

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I didn't know so many people had these gripes with Pikachu.

I had them in 2.6, along with melee which is why I preferred Pichu, but in Vbrawl and P:M 3.0 I can consistently quick attack cancel which I would consider pretty much the gimmick for Pikachu.

Arrow (Kyle)

Smash Apprentice
Lucas is my favorite design, I love what they did with him. Lucario is also a really good design, though giving him the ability to pretty much turbo mode is ********.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I didn't know so many people had these gripes with Pikachu.

I had them in 2.6, along with melee which is why I preferred Pichu, but in Vbrawl and P:M 3.0 I can consistently quick attack cancel which I would consider pretty much the gimmick for Pikachu.
Id say its due to pikachu not having a ton of flair, same complaints against olimar. I think they are both fine but Id like for the pikmin to get differentiated further and him to be able to have 6 again like brawl. This way olimar can zone with pikmin throw more effectively as he will only keep the pikmin he deems important to save while having many that he doesnt need to chuck, right now I feel his zoning is definitely not great.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
As a G&W main, I hate ROB's, Sonic's, TLink's and Peach's designs because they are so unfun to play against.

Looking at these characters without my main in mind, I only think ROB is seriously badly designed.
All the characters you mentioned can be destroyed by GnW, all it takes is some Fair/Bair spacing.

And as for badly designed, I don't want to get into it, although pikachu lacks that style that he needs.

Like Falco and Falcon, swag for days, no one is more stylish than these guys

Pikachu, nope. His gimps are cute but he really lacks in the swag department

Top Bottom