• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Being a "Low Tier Player" does not make you unique or honorable.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
=/ you cant really pin anything on the person for using a high tier character
inna game like that you need to say to yourself 'if i want the win high tier is for me'
i play with lowtier characters all the time and will defend them till hell freezes over
but i realized that lowtier in this game is meant for lowtier tournys
the past 2 tournys ive been to i lost the first round cause it was tiered based
my zelda against some high tier
plus this is %aged based and not health based

psyk

Smash Apprentice
i will defend them till hell freezes over
But hell HAS frozen over heres ur proof:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their faith, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can reliably project that all souls go to Hell.

With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls
enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase
until all Hell breaks loose.
2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in
Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell
freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my freshman year that, "it will be a cold night in Hell before I sleep with you, and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number 2 must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over.

TADA

srry, i just had to show this

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
As a general rule -

Scrubs and noobs can't play low tiers well, because they're scrubs and/or noobs.

Amateur players can't play low tiers very well, however they have much more knowledge of the game than their sparring partners generally.

Good players can play low tiers well, and can take other good players' high tiered characters with their low tiered ones.

Awesome players who have really good mindgames and knowledge of the game can play pretty much any character. They just choose the top tiers because they're better.

There are exceptions to these rules, but for the most part they hold.

>_> This thread is too long, and I'm adding to it x_x

that 1 guy

Smash Ace
But hell HAS frozen over heres ur proof:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their faith, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can reliably project that all souls go to Hell.

With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls
enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase
until all Hell breaks loose.
2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in
Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell
freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my freshman year that, "it will be a cold night in Hell before I sleep with you, and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number 2 must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over.

TADA

srry, i just had to show this
Oh yeah, I've seen this before. I believe the full essay was a little longer and the conclusion was different. THIEF

mood4food77

Smash Hero
But you mentioned Link vs Marth, which is an even matchup.

btw, Link has a slight advantage on Ganon and IC (spam ftw).
He has the upper hand on Peach (not as much as YLink), Jiggs (more than YLink), and Samus.

This is based of what I was told/read from Trevyn (Zarelid) and Germ, what I've noticed from other Links (like Azen and Aniki), and my own experience lol. I'm pretty sure you don't use Link when you go to tournaments.
or course not, link is way too slow for me and i don't like the use of projectiles, i use ganon and i still don't get how link has the advantage over ganon, ganon has everything but projectile and grab reach and ganon still has grab combo's

STIK

Smash Cadet
I really dont think it matters if the character has a high tier or not just as long as you are good with them its ok.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
or course not, link is way too slow for me and i don't like the use of projectiles, i use ganon
Ganon is definately slower than Link
and i still don't get how link has the advantage over ganon, ganon has everything but projectile and grab reach and ganon still has grab combo's
Yes, he has grab combos...and what else? Link outspaces Ganon's moves, he has spam, a good edgeguarding game (and consider the fact that Ganon is easy to edgeguard), good setups and juggles, blah blah.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
ganon is faster than link, wavedashing and dance dancing really help, ganon i find is harder to edgegaurd than link, i only get edgegaurded if i'm way above the ledge, ganon can play better mindgames, i can see link having the advantage over ganon on FD (no platforms to help ganon), yoshi's island, and fountain of dreams (where the side blast lines are close), but anywhere else i feel is in ganon's favor, yes link has the projectiles but ganon's standing a stops all of them

Aiser

Smash Lord
ganon can survive at crazy percents but his recovery is to easy to predict, not to mention if you're coming from below the stage its even easier to kill him. >_>

shminkledorf

Smash Ace
Ganon's recovery is only really good against characters whose edgeguarding has a somewhat upwards trajectory, like Marth. Other characters he gets owned. Also, the projectiels aren't necessarily there to damage ganon, but they control where he goes and what he does, helping ot make him predictable.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i guess it's me then, because my ganon doesn't get edgegaurded often

oh well, i only use low tier if my friends suck and i don't feel like ****** them (i beat my friend's peach with every character so far....except samus, yoshi and peach)

nice sig shminkledorf^^

Ceriph

Smash Apprentice
So chess with only pawns and a king, that would suck.

So, picking bowser against any character to win, that would suck as well.

I can beat the bowsers around here with a pichu, or even a pretty mean y link who I don't consider bad, but bowser could knock them into the sky with a good hit. So the bowsers around here suck, but there is one player who ***** with every character except bowser, and I can beat his bowser, so yes, I agree with magnum and gimpy here; picking bowser, pretty much sets you up to lose.

Dragonstar101

Smash Journeyman
To me personally the tier list means nothing to me. It is really all about mindgames!
I can play good with every character except bowser and mewtwo. And the only reason why I dont know how to play with those two yet is because I just never really "tried them out"
yet. Ive owned peaches at high level of play with my link. every character is a beast you just have to unlock its hidden power!

mood4food77

Smash Hero
link has an advantage over peach

the tier list shows how easy it is to play a character in a tournament, and how high they place on average, so fox and falco have a much easier time in tournaments than pichu and mewtwo, it does show resemblence of the overall character match-ups too, like i think almost all the ganon-users think ganon should be above doc because he does better against every character except for fox, falco, sheik, pika, and kirby. i feel that way, taht is the only thing i don't like about this tier list

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
I also dislike the assumption that people solely play high tiered characters because of their tier placements.

I've always liked Fox, even before I knew any of the advanced techs or tier lists.

Just because someone uses a high tier doesn't mean they only play to win. Playing a good character makes it fun too.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
To me personally the tier list means nothing to me. It is really all about mindgames!
I can play good with every character except bowser and mewtwo. And the only reason why I dont know how to play with those two yet is because I just never really "tried them out"
yet. Ive owned peaches at high level of play with my link. every character is a beast you just have to unlock its hidden power!
Bingo,as they dont mean anything to me either.The game comes down to the skill of the person,not the character.Because if the #1 rank guy could destory you with a "top tier"character,he can probably do the same exact thing with a "lower tier"character.Knowledge people,not basing characters on tournment results or crowd favorites.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
The tier list starts to have more meaning as you gain more experience. I used to hate the tier list. Now I am reverent in its presence.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
So chess with only pawns and a king, that would suck.

So, picking bowser against any character to win, that would suck as well.

I can beat the bowsers around here with a pichu, or even a pretty mean y link who I don't consider bad, but bowser could knock them into the sky with a good hit. So the bowsers around here suck, but there is one player who ***** with every character except bowser, and I can beat his bowser, so yes, I agree with magnum and gimpy here; picking bowser, pretty much sets you up to lose.
And there's a Bowser around here that can beat just about everyone with him. I'm willing to bet you'd lose to his bowser too. That doesn't make bowser good however, he's just a good player.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Link does really well vs. peach, not to mention that peach player sucks, and you have no idea what mind games are. Unless that peach goes by vidjo then that means nothing. Aside from the fact that it really has no meaning in the first place.

Bingo,as they dont mean anything to me either.The game comes down to the skill of the person,not the character.Because if the #1 rank guy could destory you with a "top tier"character,he can probably do the same exact thing with a "lower tier"character.Knowledge people,not basing characters on tournment results or crowd favorites.
just because someone agrees with your point of view doesn't make it correct. Just because Azen could **** you with bowser doesn't mean a thing, if all the characters are equal why don't we see Azen going bowser vs. ken's marth? Or king's jigglypuff, or PC chris' fox? Honestly, stop being so naive.

And there's a Bowser around here that can beat just about everyone with him. I'm willing to bet you'd lose to his bowser too. That doesn't make bowser good however, he's just a good player.
Yo-Yo is amazing.

Brookman

Smash Hero
It really depends on who these 'better' players are. Cause, in comparison to Azen, that doesn't really make sense.

Brookman

Smash Hero
topcat, you take my post to literally. There are very very few people who are better than azen in general/consistently, and by very few, I mean one.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
It really depends on who these 'better' players are. Cause, in comparison to Azen, that doesn't really make sense.
But when Azen plays low tier against just about anyone in the top 30/40 in the country, he either loses or comes really close to losing. Low tiers aren't good in tourneys, and Azen plays mostly mid tier anyway(Luigi+Zelda).

Brookman

Smash Hero
I just realized that I misread trail's post, oops. Oh well. that's the point I was trying to make (low tier = low tier for a reason, even if you are one of the best players in the world)

Cort

Apple Head
But when Azen plays low tier against just about anyone in the top 30/40 in the country, he either loses or comes really close to losing. Low tiers aren't good in tourneys, and Azen plays mostly mid tier anyway(Luigi+Zelda).
Luigi and Zelda are low tier. <.<

This topic reaks.

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
Exactly lets cut it at this, play low tiers if you want because they are your favorites or because they are fun. w/e the reason do not use the fact that you use low tiers as an excuse for why you lose. If winning is that important to you than I suggest you pick up a higher tier character and quit making excuses. Do your thing and win with lower tiers if its possible but dont expect to be jocked for it.

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
my concern with how much you put into a character fits perfectly into the concept of low tier characters. Tell me if link is a noob character (as in spamming u-b) and that works really well why not use it? It is the concept of not doing the best thing when it is right in front of you, but everyone has this concept of 'gayness' in their mind.

truth be told link could be put to good use if players sometimes spam u-b.

I play against someone and I u-throw them at low % with fox and then u-smash them, sometimes they 'let' me go in for another u-smash, but I always go in with something that doesn't work as well or fails.

The question is if all you had to do to win a match was smash would you do it? The concept of doing anything seems always limited by almost everyone that plays the game.

I mean there is nothing wrong if somethings like this never end up occuring to you in a match, but sometimes they seem to be true and still the person who realizes it won't use it.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
Link's Up B, if spammed, will get you punished. If it hits, good for you. If it misses, you get punished for it. Depending on your opponent, even lose a stock. If Up -B didn't have lag, you could cancel it when you wanted, and was unpunishable, then good players would, without a doubt, spam the hell out of it. Look at the shine, or (I'm not sure about this one) Bowsers Fortress.

People don't use moves because they think it's gay, or cheap. They avoid the moves because they are detrimental. Link's Up B is an okay move, semi spike, and has good power behind it. But it has it's risks, and each time you use it, you run the risk of it failing.

Fox's shine, however, if fast, effective, and not exactly easy to punish. Expecially in the hands of a good player.

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
Link's Up B, if spammed, will get you punished. If it hits, good for you. If it misses, you get punished for it. Depending on your opponent, even lose a stock. If Up -B didn't have lag, you could cancel it when you wanted, and was unpunishable, then good players would, without a doubt, spam the hell out of it. Look at the shine, or (I'm not sure about this one) Bowsers Fortress.

People don't use moves because they think it's gay, or cheap. They avoid the moves because they are detrimental. Link's Up B is an okay move, semi spike, and has good power behind it. But it has it's risks, and each time you use it, you run the risk of it failing.

Fox's shine, however, if fast, effective, and not exactly easy to punish. Expecially in the hands of a good player.
Which explains why people generally get angry when they get beat by u-b spamming links. It happens and the reason why it happens is that it can be useful in some cases. You never run the risk of it failing by the edge when your opponent is below you. It lasts as long as **** and if ss you can get an instant low percent ko. **** like this is so underrated.

So you are saying it isn't exactly easy to punish the shine, I say it isn't as hard as people think it is. People develop comfort zones of not having to deal with a fox or something and go to tourneys expecting to be everyone to be as simple as **** except for those they know are good.

**** is ****ing underrated all the time, pros sometimes have their limits, but their mindgames is make it matter very little.

Seriously, if you could smash the whole time and win, you should do it, the point is for some odd reason it isn't easy (not for everyone at least) to do, cause some fear of someone else attacking you for it comes up. Look at Wobbles, he will do anything to win and doesn't give a **** if people call him cheap. If only I was like that

Top Bottom