• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Being a "Low Tier Player" does not make you unique or honorable.

RednaXale

Smash Apprentice
Funny you should say that. When most people ask who I play and I tell them "Ness" they seem almost impressed, not "wow what a noob, think you're special playing that low tier character? Play fox, he's the best".

I think it takes some overall skill to be good at the game. For example, predicting what's going to happen next. If you can just be simply good at the game with any character, that is impressive.

Besides, if fox loses to yoshi, gg. I think low tiers are a handicap, like playing on a harder difficulty level. Sure you beat easy, try to step it up to normal next.

unwelc0med

Smash Journeyman
there is no such thing as a low tier character in melee

there is top tier
high tier
middle tier
and then pichu

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I like seeing good low tiers in action. People should just play who they like and feel best with. I played Fox before I even knew of the tier list. His playstyle just fit me.

Bil

Smash Ace
there is no such thing as a low tier character in melee

there is top tier
high tier
middle tier
and then pichu
You're a fúcking ******.

Anyways, in my opinion if somebody is even with a Fox and he plays Link, the Link player is a better player in general, imagine if instead of putting all the time and effort he put into playing Link, into playing Marth, or Sheik.

Corigames

Smash Hero
You're a fúcking ******.

Anyways, in my opinion if somebody is even with a Fox and he plays Link, the Link player is a better player in general, imagine if instead of putting all the time and effort he put into playing Link, into playing Marth, or Sheik.
He might suck because he's not as comfortable with them. Also, just because he put time and effort into it doesn't mean the fox didn't. Everyone has a mediocre fox, people who practice and TRY can have good ones. Just because you play a high tier doesn't mean you didn't try with them >_>

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
You can't really say that. The person who wins wins, and that's the end of it.
Also, that kind of mindset just opens up for a ****load of annoying johns. If I (as fox) would play a close set with a Link player and win, would it be legit of him to claim that he is actually a better player then me because he's playing a ****ty character? Think about it.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
You can't really say that. The person who wins wins, and that's the end of it.
Also, that kind of mindset just opens up for a ****load of annoying johns. If I (as fox) would play a close set with a Link player and win, would it be legit of him to claim that he is actually a better player then me because he's playing a ****ty character? Think about it.
Hey, hey. If low tier johns didn't exist, how would the smash scene exist? How could I survived as a mediocre Link main back in the day?

:( Your expectations are too high.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Don't you play falcon? :p
I'm not saying I expect Links to go around ****** good foxes. I don't really expect anything (from people I don't know) really >.>
I just don't think you should be alowed to john about character choice it all the time.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I'm not saying I expect Links to go around ****** good foxes. I don't really expect anything (from people I don't know) really >.>
I just don't think you should be alowed to john about character choice it all the time.
yeah I am now. XD Falcon is too amazing.

I was just making fun of low tier johns. Cause they are funny. And I was a Link main, and I was way overrated when I played him cause I wasn't totally *****. That is how it is.

Sync99

Smash Journeyman
This thread is ****ing hilarious, because it reminds me of the prejudice, discrimination, and other things like that that you know, minorities face, and it kinda' seems like there's some discriminatory tension between the high tier players and the low tier players.

I know I commented on this thread before, but that was a long time ago and I forgot what I said, but I know Brawl wasn't out so I know this post isn't useless... I agree with you that it's good not to have expectations, but I do get them. Usually when I hear someone is a low tier character, I get REALLY intimidated and pump myself up to play them by constantly telling myself, "Don't worry, Fox is higher on the tier list!" Sometimes I feel like I've won when I have less skill, but the thing is if I meet a REALLY good Link player or a REALLY good Yoshi player they tend to completely SUCK with high tier characters against me.

Think about it, everyone's used to fighting Fox, Marth, Sheik, and Falco but when a really good Yoshi comes along most people are like "OMFG I CAN'T BELIEVE YOUR SECONDJUMPCANCEL GO3Z THROUGH MY FOOT WTFFF??!?1" And also, imagine a Link player using Fox, probably the complete opposite characeter. Most people stick with a low tier because they're easier to use. I stick with Fox and Peach cuz' they're the easiest to perform well with, and I'm sure Fumi, T!mmy, and Arash stick w/their characters b/c those chars are easiest to perform well with for them.

From my experience, johning about low tier characters is a single-edged sword. People complain about it when they lose, but when they WIN they never rub it in your face that you just lost to a low tier char, because they KNOW they couldn't have done any better with anyone else.

In regards to picking a char solely based on tier list location, I do find that okay to a point. I consider myself just BARELY not being a ***** in this case. In melee I used Fox, Kirby, and Game & Watch before I ever saw the tier list, and when I met Tapion he told me to stick with Fox, although I still practiced w/Kirby to use in low tier tournies. I picked up Peach and Yoshi along the way because I like their fighting styles, although I used Peach much more because she was a lot easier to win with until I started getting better at techniques related to playing Yoshi (i.e. double-jump cancel, ledge grab, egg ledge grab, platform wavedashing, etc.), although by then it was kinda' too late to get my Yoshi as good as my Peach.

That's not bad, and if someone were to have played Pikachu and Zelda (one of my friends actually) but switched to Falco as soon as he heard about the tier list and only practiced with him because he knew he was good that wouldn't be that bad either, because clearly that means he doesn't have enough fun with Zelda and Pikachu to want to keep using them.

In Brawl I use Peach because she floats my boat, and I DON'T CARE how crappy she is because she was immediately by far my best character, and hence I NEVER complain about the tier list, although I admit I picked up Snake because I knew he was good, BUT ALSO because I find him ridiculously fun (hence why I picked up him and not Meta Knight). I go with what's fun, and for me Fox, Peach, and Snake (in both games I mean) are the funnest, due in part to the fact that they win easily (for me and many others).

The Phenom

Smash Lord
I agree with you Solar that "being" a low-tier player does not make you unique/honorable because of the de facto of characters being in groups with out no character being singled out.

-I personally switch of from Mr.Game&Watch to Fox in order for there to be in me an existence of aplomb(self-confidence).

To enclose my saying, playing a low-tier character does not let alone make you a honorable/unique individual in the Super Smash Bros. Melee scene of fighters because of there being tier levels that is readily perspicacious to all in accordance(in this means of your appealing Solar).

-it does however have the proclivity to make you unique in personality, I hold this to be a truth due to my experience.

-just remember that the brain is always rearranging/changing no matter of your age (FACT).

Perhaps somewhat I have contradicted this subject in an iota.
---------
CLASS OF 2009! not even being next to a alien being makes you unique because others have before!
-Predict the 9! and bacon/sausages' trajectory! It is your spacing, suspence for it!

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
I don't play Brawl Peach to be unique or honorable. I play her because she is the character that I am A. Best with and B. the character that I enjoy the most. Peach satisfies me, what more could I want?

Spife

Smash Master
I actually have to disagree with the whole Fox narrowly beating a Link johns thing. Fox/Sheik are Link's worst match ups and they're up hill battles. I don't rub anything in any ones face cause I'm not like that but at the end of the day I like to take solace in the fact that if a Fox or Sheik barely beat me (in a legit match) than my skill is greater than theirs.

Sheik's tilts combo into more tilts, and don't get me started on that chain grab, and Fox can manhandle Link into any position he so chooses. Link doesn't have the speed to contend, spam can help but easily punished and not worth it in the long run (you can't even start to spam if you have no breathing room).

Let me put it like this, if a Link player beats a Fox player, the Link is better, but if they were both one hit away, had something been a little different and the Fox player won, that means the Fox player is "better". But Fox ***** Link. Period. And barely 1stocking a Link =/= ****.

Either way, I still main Link cause I can't really play anyone else, so Link is my high tier, but I dabble, oh how I dabble. Also for some reason I have too much Link pride...and it's fun being the only Link main in the state so I'm probably the best (and worst, as Phish It Pointed out) and the most improved...and the least improved...WOO LINK!

milk ducks

Smash Rookie
People have this misconception that they're unique and honorable just because they use a low tier character. I've seen so many people say that they won't play high tier characters because it's not unique and because it's cheap. The funny thing is, if you surveyed every ssbm player, and not just pros but every one, I'd say the most people play Roy and Link. Every time I meet a new smash player and they tell me which characters they use, the first bit of advice I give them is to begin to work on a high-top tier character. I laugh whenever someone says they don't want to be a traitor and change their main. No one really cares who you use, and if they suggest that you "stick with it" then they are not really trying to help you get better, they just don't want to face the truth that the tiers exist for a reason. Of course low tier characters are fun to use and even can be important for counterpicking, but if you ever want to play well in a tourney, learning a higher tier character is mandatory. Look at Ken. He's acknowledged as one of the best ssbm players and everyone who has even looked into pro ssbm knows of him. How many of them know of a Roy Main? Not even 25% as many. If you want to stand out, then do it by winning.

Paragraphs are top tier.

Top Bottom