• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BECAUSE I'M CRAAAAZY! - Crazy Dave for Smash!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
(Work In Progress - Any help and suggestions would be much appreciated!)
Who is Crazy Dave?
Crazy Dave is your neighbor in the hit mobile tower defense game Plants vs. Zombies. It's about...Well, it's right there in the name. Crazy Dave serves as a helpful, if not kooky, source of help to the player, explaining how to play and running a shop called Crazy Dave's Twiddydinkies. In the sequel, he drove the plot forward quite literaly, using his time machine Penny to travel back in time so that he can eat a really good taco a second time.

Yes, he's always like this.

How do you play Plants vs. Zombies?
The gameplay of Plants vs. Zombies takes place on a 6-by-9 grid, made up of tiles. You can place various plants on the field, each with their own special abilities. You must use these abilities to their fullest extend to stop the oncoming wave of zombies, who are out to east your brains. If any of them get past the line of your house, it's game over (Though the lawnmowers can give you another shot). Said plants require Sun to plant, which you can get naturally from the sky or by having Sunflowers produce it for you.

Why Crazy Dave?
Mostly because PvZ is fun. Plus, it would represent both the mobile industry and the tower defense genre. While Crazy Dave isn't the mascot or player character, I think he'd represent the series the best. He'd be able to represent a large variety of plants while the Peashooter is just one, and the player character isn't even seen, seeing as they're you.

What could he do?
To represent the tower defense genre, Crazy Dave could place down various plants on the field. While his specials are the obvious source, I think his smashes could work like this as well; He places the plant on the first input, and has them fire the attack with the second. Since they're separate from him, this would allow for some truly absurd combos.

How could a potential Plants Vs. Zombies Challenger Pack work?
Intro: Dave puts a seed packet into his pocket.
Stance/Idle 1: His pose from his official artwork (see above).
Idle 2: Dave almost falls asleep, and then immediately wakes up.
Idle 3: Dave scratches his rear with his right hand.

Notable Palette Swaps:
  • Crazetopher David Blazing III (default)
  • Nate Timely (red/white)
  • Patrice Blazing (blue/white)
  • Peashooter (green)
  • Sunflower (yellow/brown)
  • Chopper (green/purple)
  • PopCap shirt (black/white)
  • Zombie (brown/gray)
Walk: Dave does an exaggerated power walk.
Dash: Dave runs forward while holding his pot with his right hand.
Damage: Dave holds his hip with his left hand while his eyes are cartoonishly stretched.
Jump: Dave does a rather short jump.
Crouch: Dave sprawls onto the ground like he’s about to plant something.

Weapon of Choice: Dave uses plants from the PvZ series.

Normal Attacks
Jab: Dave fires a pea using Peashooter (3%, small knockback).
Forward+A: Same as jab.
Down+A: Dave pulls out a Spikeweed that hits 4 times (7%, small knockback)
Up+A: A Scaredy-Shroom appears and fires a small fume (6%, small knockback)

Aerial Attacks
Air+A: Same as jab.
Air Forward+A: Dave fires a Coconut Cannon (15%, OK knockback)
Air Back + A: Dave fires two peas from the back side of a Split Pea (4% per pea, small knockback
Air Up+A: Dave holds a Starfruit above him, which fires five stars up in the air (2% per star, small knockback)
Air Down+A: Dave holds onto a Squash that falls straight down (14% with a meteor effect, OK knockback); Dave can let go by pressing the jump button or tilting up.

Dash Attack: Dave runs forward with a lawnmower (12%, OK knockback)
Edge Attack: Dave is pushed back up by a Spring Bean (3%, small knockback)
Get-Up Attack: Same as edge attack.

Smash Attacks
Forward+A: A Cattail stabs forward with its tail (19%, OK knockback)
Up+A: A Torchwood erupts his flame upwards (20%, medium knockback)
Down+A: Dave shoves a Jalapeño into the ground, which leaves a trail of fire on either side (12% each side, OK knockback)

Grab Game
Grab: Dave pulls in the opponent with a Magnet-Shroom, and grabs them with a Tangle Kelp.
Pummel: The Tangle Kelp squeezes the opponent (1%)
Forwards+Throw: The Tangle Kelp tosses the opponent forward (9%, OK knockback)
Down+Throw: The Tangle Kelp takes the opponent underwater and spits them out (13%, OK knockback)
Back+Throw: A Melon-Pult slings the opponent in the opposite direction of which Dave is facing (15%, OK knockback)
Up+Throw: A Cactus sprouts out of the ground and stretches out upwards (12%, OK knockback)

Special Moves
B : Sunflower
(50 Sun); Dave plants a Sunflower that grants him 25 Sun Points every 5seconds for 10 seconds. Dave can only have one out at a time.

B + Forwards : Wall-Nut (50 Sun); Dave plants a Wall-Nut that can take up to 5 hits before breaking. Tapping B near it has Dave roll it like a bowling ball (10%, OK knockback). Holding B near it upgrades it to the Tall-Nut, which can take 8 hits, for another 25 Sun Points.

B + Up : Blover; Dave plants a Blover in a Flower Pot below himself to go extraordinarily high at the cost of vertical movement. Planting it on the ground keeps it there for 5 seconds and the gust of wind can be used by other fighters.

B + Down : Potato Mine (25 Sun); Dave plants a Potato Mine with its antenna sticking out of the ground at first. After 14 seconds, it appears out of the ground and explodes in contact (30%, far knockback), including by Dave.

Final Smash: Weebo Wabo; Dave opens a jar full of three Power-Ups. The first one is Power Toss, which flings opponents twice if the first toss is successful (11%). Opponents are then taken into a cutscene where Power Snow hails from all around (41%), and then Power Zap rains thunder right onto them (14%, devastating knockback)

Gimmick: Sun; Dave starts out with 200 Sun Points with which to grow plants, the only way to earn any back being to plant Sunflowers (of which there’s one at the start). Only the Blover does not use any Sun.

Taunts
1: Dave looks at his reflection in his pot.
2: Dave babbles loudly as a text bubble reading “Because I’m CRAAAZY!!!!!” appears.
1+2: Dave tips his pot with his left index finger.

Winposes
1: Dave proudly looks at his taco and eats it.

2: Dave plants the last of a group of Sunflowers, who all summon Sun in celebration.

3: Dave adds extra soil to the Tree of Wisdom, which is at its maximum height.

Applause: Dave confusedly scratches his head, wondering how he lost.
Icon: A zombie’s hand grabbing a daisy.
Boxing Ring Title: The CRAAAZY Botanist
Star K.O.: “NOOOOOOOO…!”
Victory Music: https://youtu.be/L5y6OTZQ4Ik
Kirby Hat: Dave’s pot. The Sunflowers can only get him up to 100 Sun, but every 25 boosts his attack power by x.25
Round 1: :ultvillager: x10 (horde battle, 15HP each) on [Plants vs. Zombies stage] (Grasswalk)
Round 2: Giant Red :ultwario: (160HP) on Luigi’s Mansion Ω (Moongrains / Rigor Mormist)
Round 3: :ultsonic:x6 (horde battle, 45HP each) on :greenhill: (LoonBoon)

Bonus Game

Round 4
: Giant :ultinklingboy: (135HP), then Red :ulticeclimbers:x2 (100HP each) on Summit (Watery Graves)
Round 5: :ultgreninja: (150HP) on Gamer (Gamer)
Round 6: Giant :ultbowser: (200HP) and :ultbowserjr: (80HP) on Princess Peach’s Castle (Ultimate Battle)
Final Round: Crazy Hand (Brainiac Maniac)
Credits: Zombies on Your Lawn
Stage: Neighborville

Music:
  1. Main Theme - Plants vs. Zombies
  2. Grasswalk
  3. Grasswalk (Original)
  4. LoonBoon
  5. Ultimate Battle
  6. Ultimate Battle (Original)
  7. Moongrains / Rigor Mormist
  8. Disco Zombie / Jack in the Box Zombie
  9. Watery Graves
  10. Graze the Roof
  11. Brainiac Maniac
  12. Zombies on Your Lawn
  13. Zombies on Your Lawn (JP)
  14. Zen Garden
  15. Cerebrawl
Spirits:
  1. Crazy Dave (Fighter Spirit)
  2. Sunflower (:ultdaisy:, :starman:)
  3. Peashooter (Crazy Dave, :starman:) -> Gatling Pea (:starman::starman::starman:)
  4. Wall-Nut (:ultkrool:, :starman::starman:) -> Tall-Nut (:starman::starman::starman:)
  5. Potato Mine (Crazy Dave, :starman:)
  6. Squash (:ultkirby:, :starman:)
  7. Fume-Shroom (:ultmarth: and :ultdarksamus:x3, :starman::starman:)
  8. Cabbage-Pult (:ultyoshi:, :starman:)
  9. Bonk Choy (:ultlittlemac:, :starman::starman:)
  10. Zombie ( :ultbrawler: x10, :starman:) -> Conehead Zombie and Buckethead Zombie (:starman::starman::starman:)
  11. Newspaper Zombie (:ultlink:, :starman::starman:)
  12. Football Zombie (:ultwario:, :starman::starman:)
  13. Disco Zombie (:ultroy: and :ultchrom:x4, :starman::starman:)
  14. Zombie Yeti (:ultdk:, :starman::starman::starman:)
  15. Balloon Zombie (:ultvillager:, :starman:)
  16. Gargantuar & Imp (:ultganondorf::ultbowserjr:, :starman::starman::starman:)
  17. Dr. Zomboss (:ultdoc::ultrob:, :starman::starman::starman::starman:)
Costumes
  1. Zombie (Brawler)
  2. Peashooter Shirt (Gunner)
  3. Rathalos Armor (Swordfighter)
  4. Bokoblin (Swordfighter)
  5. Diskun Hat (Universal)

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I was just about to make a support thread when I had the opportunity; I support! I even made a moveset and Classic Mode:

Intro: Dave puts a seed packet into his pocket.
Stance/Idle 1: His pose from his official artwork (see above).
Idle 2: Dave almost falls asleep, and then immediately wakes up.
Idle 3: Dave scratches his rear with his right hand.

Notable Palette Swaps:
  • Crazetopher David Blazing III (default)
  • Nate Timely (red/white)
  • Patrice Blazing (blue/white)
  • Peashooter (green)
  • Sunflower (yellow/brown)
  • Chomper (green/purple)
  • PopCap shirt (black/white)
  • Zombie (brown/gray)
Walk: Dave does an exaggerated power walk.
Dash: Dave runs forward while holding his pot with his right hand.
Damage: Dave holds his hip with his left hand while his eyes are cartoonishly stretched.
Jump: Dave does a rather short jump.
Crouch: Dave sprawls onto the ground like he’s about to plant something.

Weapon of Choice: Dave uses plants from the PvZ series.

Normal Attacks
Jab: Dave fires a pea using Peashooter (3%, small knockback).
Forward+A: Same as jab.
Down+A: Dave pulls out a Spikeweed that hits 4 times (7%, small knockback)
Up+A: A Scaredy-Shroom appears and fires a small fume (6%, small knockback)

Aerial Attacks
Air+A: Same as jab.
Air Forward+A: Dave fires a Coconut Cannon (15%, OK knockback)
Air Back + A: Dave fires two peas from the back side of a Split Pea (4% per pea, small knockback
Air Up+A: Dave holds a Starfruit above him, which fires five stars up in the air (2% per star, small knockback)
Air Down+A: Dave holds onto a Squash that falls straight down (14% with a meteor effect, OK knockback); Dave can let go by pressing the jump button or tilting up.

Dash Attack: Dave runs forward with a lawnmower (12%, OK knockback)
Edge Attack: Dave is pushed back up by a Spring Bean (3%, small knockback)
Get-Up Attack: Same as edge attack.

Smash Attacks
Forward+A: A Cattail stabs forward with its tail (19%, OK knockback)
Up+A: A Torchwood erupts his flame upwards (20%, medium knockback)
Down+A: Dave shoves a Jalapeño into the ground, which leaves a trail of fire on either side (12% each side, OK knockback)

Grab Game
Grab: Dave pulls in the opponent with a Magnet-Shroom, and grabs them with a Tangle Kelp.
Pummel: The Tangle Kelp squeezes the opponent (1%)
Forwards+Throw: The Tangle Kelp tosses the opponent forward (9%, OK knockback)
Down+Throw: The Tangle Kelp takes the opponent underwater and spits them out (13%, OK knockback)
Back+Throw: A Melon-Pult slings the opponent in the opposite direction of which Dave is facing (15%, OK knockback)
Up+Throw: A Cactus sprouts out of the ground and stretches out upwards (12%, OK knockback)

Special Moves
B : Sunflower
(50 Sun); Dave plants a Sunflower that grants him 25 Sun Points every 5seconds for 10 seconds. Dave can only have one out at a time.

B + Forwards : Wall-Nut (50 Sun); Dave plants a Wall-Nut that can take up to 5 hits before breaking. Tapping B near it has Dave roll it like a bowling ball (10%, OK knockback). Holding B near it upgrades it to the Tall-Nut, which can take 8 hits, for another 25 Sun Points.

B + Up : Blover; Dave plants a Blover in a Flower Pot below himself to go extraordinarily high at the cost of vertical movement. Planting it on the ground keeps it there for 5 seconds and the gust of wind can be used by other fighters.

B + Down : Potato Mine (25 Sun); Dave plants a Potato Mine with its antenna sticking out of the ground at first. After 14 seconds, it appears out of the ground and explodes in contact (30%, far knockback), including by Dave.

Final Smash: Weebo Wabo; Dave opens a jar full of three Power-Ups. The first one is Power Toss, which flings opponents twice if the first toss is successful (11%). Opponents are then taken into a cutscene where Power Snow hails from all around (41%), and then Power Zap rains thunder right onto them (14%, devastating knockback)

Gimmick: Sun; Dave starts out with 200 Sun Points with which to grow plants, the only way to earn any back being to plant Sunflowers (of which there’s one at the start). Only the Blover does not use any Sun.

Taunts
1: Dave looks at his reflection in his pot.
2: Dave babbles loudly as a text bubble reading “Because I’m CRAAAZY!!!!!” appears.
1+2: Dave tips his pot with his left index finger.

Winposes
1: Dave proudly looks at his taco and eats it.
2: Dave plants the last of a group of Sunflowers, who all summon Sun in celebration.
3: Dave adds extra soil to the Tree of Wisdom, which is at its maximum height.

Applause: Dave confusedly scratches his head, wondering how he lost.
Icon: A zombie’s hand grabbing a daisy.
Boxing Ring Title: The CRAAAZY Botanist
Star K.O.: “NOOOOOOOO…!”
Victory Music: https://youtu.be/L5y6OTZQ4Ik
Kirby Hat: Dave’s pot. The Sunflowers can only get him up to 100 Sun, but every 25 boosts his attack power by x.25
Round 1: :ultvillager: x10 (horde battle, 15HP each) on [Plants vs. Zombies stage] (Grasswalk)
Round 2: Giant Red :ultwario: (160HP) on Luigi’s Mansion Ω (Moongrains / Rigor Mormist)
Round 3: :ultsonic:x6 (horde battle, 45HP each) on :greenhill: (LoonBoon)

Bonus Game

Round 4
: Giant :ultinklingboy: (135HP), then Red :ulticeclimbers:x2 (100HP each) on Summit (Watery Graves)
Round 5: :ultgreninja: (150HP) on Gamer (Gamer)
Round 6: Giant :ultbowser: (200HP) and :ultbowserjr: (80HP) on Princess Peach’s Castle (Ultimate Battle)
Final Round: Crazy Hand (Brainiac Maniac)
Credits: Zombies on Your Lawn

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I will lend my support.

I have great memories with Plants vs Zombies. It is a staple of the tower defense genre and it's very charming. It even got a DS port which is how I played it, and it's actually a good port all things considered. Crazy Dave is the perfect rep as the game is all about using a selection of plants for specific purposes. I imagine that will translate well to Smash. You could do some cool stuff like being able to put down a torchwood and then some peashooters which would upgrade the peashooters' damage, planting a doom shroom which has a huge radius and massive damage, and that made me realize that there will be a system where sun will fall down onto the stage and Crazy Dave will be able to pick them up to use more powerful plants. They could go the Steve route and make it so that Crazy Dave could use some plants all the time so he is not screwed if he gets cornered, but he would have to gather sun to make use of the more powerful plants.

Normally I would say that Crazy Dave could just have a standard moveset with no crazy gimmicks, but again Steve changes everything. Now you could have a completely unique gimmick that dictates how the character works, which is crazy to think about. Not just with Crazy Dave, but other characters too. When it comes to the different stages like the backyard with the pool and night time, that could dictate which plants you are able to use. I honestly was not expecting to type this much, but that goes to show how creative Sakurai and his team could be with Crazy Dave.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Ah, I also made a proper Challenger Pack:

Stage: Neighborville

Music:
  1. Main Theme - Plants vs. Zombies
  2. Grasswalk
  3. Grasswalk (Original)
  4. LoonBoon
  5. Ultimate Battle
  6. Ultimate Battle (Original)
  7. Moongrains / Rigor Mormist
  8. Disco Zombie / Jack in the Box Zombie
  9. Watery Graves
  10. Graze the Roof
  11. Brainiac Maniac
  12. Zombies on Your Lawn
  13. Zombies on Your Lawn (JP)
  14. Zen Garden
  15. Cerebrawl
Spirits:
  1. Crazy Dave (Fighter Spirit)
  2. Sunflower (:ultdaisy:, :starman:)
  3. Peashooter (Crazy Dave, :starman:) -> Gatling Pea (:starman::starman::starman:)
  4. Wall-Nut (:ultkrool:, :starman::starman:) -> Tall-Nut (:starman::starman::starman:)
  5. Potato Mine (Crazy Dave, :starman:)
  6. Squash (:ultkirby:, :starman:)
  7. Fume-Shroom (:ultmarth: and :ultdarksamus:x3, :starman::starman:)
  8. Cabbage-Pult (:ultyoshi:, :starman:)
  9. Bonk Choy (:ultlittlemac:, :starman::starman:)
  10. Zombie ( :ultbrawler: x10, :starman:) -> Conehead Zombie and Buckethead Zombie (:starman::starman::starman:)
  11. Newspaper Zombie (:ultlink:, :starman::starman:)
  12. Football Zombie (:ultwario:, :starman::starman:)
  13. Disco Zombie (:ultroy: and :ultchrom:x4, :starman::starman:)
  14. Zombie Yeti (:ultdk:, :starman::starman::starman:)
  15. Balloon Zombie (:ultvillager:, :starman:)
  16. Gargantuar & Imp (:ultganondorf::ultbowserjr:, :starman::starman::starman:)
  17. Dr. Zomboss (:ultdoc::ultrob:, :starman::starman::starman::starman:)
Costumes
  1. Zombie (Brawler)
  2. Peashooter Shirt (Gunner)
  3. Rathalos Armor (Swordfighter)
  4. Bokoblin (Swordfighter)
  5. Diskun Hat (Universal)

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I will support. I have fond memory of playing this series a lot.

I guess he can borrow some elements from Steve aka resource gathering with sun point. And getting more powerful plants with more sun points.
I think he can bring planting mechanic... like plating few plants on the stage for certain duration. It could be worse than Steve's cliff camping, so there should be balance.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Support. Easily my most wanted mobile games character. His moveset would be really cool, based on using his plants to defend himself and harvesting sunlight whenever he can-sort of like Steve with materials. His down b opens up a menu of plants to use, and each costs a certain amount of sunlight-the more powerful the plant, the more sunlight needed to purchase. The Mii costumes that he would come with would be hilarious.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Guys and gals! I was listening to Smash Ultimate remixes of Plants vs Zombies music when I had a realization. We already have Plants vs Zombies in Smash: Piranha Plant vs Minecraft Zombie. Not to mention Piranha Plant attacks with his mouth like Chomper, and in PvsZ, there is a miner zombie.

This is actually mind blowing to think about.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Eh, why not? I guess we could use some tower defense representation in Smash. Then again, there’s Dillon as an Assist Trophy, but I digress. Count me in! They could include music from the Plants VS Zombies series. Both originals and new remixes. I wonder if they’d make a Smash remix of Zombies On Your Lawn? And I wonder if they’d get Laura Shigihara to sing it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom