• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I find the report very believable and very unimportant.

The series is long done and most people view it as the year Flash played great and the Mavs got ****ty calls. This won't change how most people see it.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Personally, if I was in Cuban's position, I would have sued. I am well aware it would have been detrimental to the NBA's image, but it would have definitely cleaned it up to a great degree. Going forward, you wouldn't have to worry about this call or that call, thinking if it was some conspiracy.

It just makes me more skeptical about the league in general.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
League officiating has always been sketchy though. Look no further than the Clippers/Thunder Game 5.

I'm feeling surprisingly confident about tonight's game despite the Game 1 blowout. This team responds well when their backs are against the wall.

I feel bad for OKC though... 2nd season in a row where they have been screwed by injuries. I hope they still have some fight in them cause San Antonio is ****ing scary.

EDIT: Ugly win but a win nonetheless just as I was expecting. LeBron plays terrible for 3 quarters and then Wade of all people steps up to lead the Heat to victory. This team is clutch.

lol

Last edited:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I said this last year after the Pacers lost, and I'll say it again...they needed to go get a legitimate point guard during the off season. All George Hill does is bring the ball up the court. Lance Stephenson is not a point guard. Paul George is not a poin guard.

And I dunno how many times I've seen a Pacer pick up the ball after a defender hedges on the pick and roll. It's like they've never seen that in their entire life. My God, this team's offense sucks.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Good game Pacers. Bout to get bounced out of the playoffs by the same team for the 3rd season in a row... Even after all of that work to get the 1st seed... Talk about little brother syndrome.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
They are garbage anyways, given how bad they were playing for 3 months. They better address their point guard needs this off season and hire an assistant coach who will solely be responsible for offense, while Vogel focuses on defense.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Miami Heat 4 straight NBA Finals trips... Man this team is something else.

Its truly been a blessing to be a fan of such an incredible organization and team.

No matter what happens in the Finals I'm proud of this squad.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
IDK man... Like I've been saying all year... Spurs are scary.

But so is a motivated Heat team. :cool: Should be a great Finals series regardless.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Yes! I'm glad that there is a Spurs vs. Heat rematch. Last year's NBA Finals was simply amazing. A lot of memories of it are flooding back now. Tony Parker's Game 1 basket in the 4th quarter and foul line shot for the victory, Miami's dominant 2nd half in Game 2 for the win, Games 3-5 amazing 3 point shooting by Spurs players Green and......I forgot. Dwayne Wade's amazing Game 4 performance, Game 6 where Tim Duncan was dominant in the 1st half, then Lebron goes dominant without the headband, Spurs blow the lead with seconds remaining, Ray Allen's 3 for the tie, Heat customers leaving building and trying to get back in...Game 7 Heat win for Championship.

It will be hard to have a classic series like that again, but wow there is potential for another great series at the same time. I forgot the Spurs have home field advantage this time around. I'm also shocked to see that the format for the NBA Finals this year is 2-2-1-1-1 instead of 2-3-2. I don't know who I want to pick to win the Championship. It's hard to not pick the defending Champs, but the Spurs are very good with a chip on their shoulder.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
LETS ****ING GO MIAMI IT'S TIME TO BECOME LEGENDARY! :)

EDIT: The battle is lost but not the war! Heat have won the past 2 Finals after dropping Game 1 so I'm not worried... yet. Spurs are just as scary as ever. >.>

Last edited:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
LeBron won't cramp up. Spurs won't shoot that crazy from 3, but will not turn over it as much either. Everything will balance each other out.

D-Wade...surprised he didn't take over. He looked so apathetic in the final 5 minutes. He's gotta be willing to drive to the hoop more. Otherwise, he won't be shooting 50% from the field longer.

Bosh shot rather well too...I dunno if he will do that every game.

Miami was definitely doing a lot of "chasing" with the Spurs passing. Miami got fatigued later in the game from all the chasing.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Notes from Game 2:

1. When LBJ is playing like that. You're gonna lose.
2. Chalmers continues to be a total wuss for elbowing Parker like that. I hate him so much.
3. Wade with the worse flop of the series also got Ginobili into foul trouble.
4. Half of Leonard's fouls were him brushing LBJ when Duncan was getting manhandled in the post.
5. Spurs didn't deserve to win after they missed 4 straight free throws. That was the game IMO. Flashback to Game 6 last year?
6. Spurs stopped passing in the 4th.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Good lord, dat passing. Once Kawaii Leonard woke up, this series has looked like it's way too one sided. Leonard has such awkward ways to score, but just gets the ball to go in with his hyper-active energy.

I'm glad to see Chalmers struggling. I'm glad to see Wade do all his complaining and get no calls. Those two are probably the most annoying Heat and possibly players in the league.

It's weird to think that the Heat might lose 4-1, but I think SA will finish it off on Saturday.

Heat have the worst fans. So many empty seats halfway through the 4th.

I hope the Spurs philosophy doesn't go away. Watching them is a thing of beauty. Why have a superstar point guard/passer like CP3 or LBJ, when you can have an entire team that is capable of driving to the hole and passing? Kids these days grow up idolizing KD, Kobe, LBJ, and what not, and all they see is one on one play.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
This series is pretty much over.... Can't lie but I'm pretty upset.

Upset but not angry at all. For the first time since the Big 3 era started I feel like the Heat are legitimately out-matched in just about every way possible (unlike the Mavs series where I was angry because I thought the Heat should have won it if it weren't for LBJ laying an egg). Other than LBJ the Spurs are just a flat out better team.

Mario sucks, Birdman isn't anywhere close to what he used to be, Cole is still extremely inconsistent, Lewis is too one dimensional, Bosh can't do anything to slow down Duncan, etc.

But most of all Wade has disappointed me the most... He sat out 1/3 of the regular season to look like this in the Finals? If this is what is in store for Wade's near future I'd almost prefer if he'd just retire soon. Heck he's not even effective as a role player right now which is extremely worrisome.

It's unforutunate that the Heat won't 3peat but I stand by my earlier comments when I say I'm still proud of this team's overall accomplishments these past 4 seasons... It just sucks that it has to end on such a pathetic note. Can't wait for the media to somehow pin this on LBJ as if it's his fault that his current team is just as bad as the Cavaliers of old.

Last edited:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
This series is pretty much over.... Can't lie but I'm pretty upset.

Upset but not angry at all. For the first time since the Big 3 era started I feel like the Heat are legitimately out-matched in just about every way possible (unlike the Mavs series where I was angry because I thought the Heat should have won it if it weren't for LBJ laying an egg). Other than LBJ the Spurs are just a flat out better team.

Mario sucks, Birdman isn't anywhere close to what he used to be, Cole is still extremely inconsistent, Lewis is too one dimensional, Bosh can't do anything to slow down Duncan, etc.

But most of all Wade has disappointed me the most... He sat out 1/3 of the regular season to look like this in the Finals? If this is what is in store for Wade's near future I'd almost prefer if he'd just retire soon. Heck he's not even effective as a role player right now which is extremely worrisome.

It's unforutunate that the Heat won't 3peat but I stand by my earlier comments when I say I'm still proud of this team's overall accomplishments these past 4 seasons... It just sucks that it has to end on such a pathetic note. Can't wait for the media to somehow pin this on LBJ as if it's his fault that his current team is just as bad as the Cavaliers of old.
If the Big 3 break up, do you consider their run to be a success or failure? If they pull this out still, I'd see their run as a success. If not, 2/4 is...a success, but I'm not celebrating anything.

Even if Melo was on this team, I'd think the Spurs would win. Melo is an average on the ball defender, and poor team defender. I don't even know what a disaster THAT would be.

Melo should just go to the Bulls and hope Rose heals up. A team that plays tough defense + two offensive scorers can do wonders in the East.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
If the Big 3 break up, do you consider their run to be a success or failure? If they pull this out still, I'd see their run as a success. If not, 2/4 is...a success, but I'm not celebrating anything.
- Regular season winning streak record
- 2 regular season MVPs
- 4 straight NBA Finals trips
- Back to back championships

Considering the amount of scrutiny and pressure this team has constantly been under since day 1 I can't see it as anything but a success. Any other team would love to have this much success over the past 4 seasons, but since it's the Heat the masses will try to spin the narrative to make it seem as if the Heat underachieved for not winning every year.However, when you look at things objectively the only season they really underachieved was in 2011 when they lost to the Mavs. After that they won every series they were supposed to. Any objective basketball fan with half a brain can clearly see that the Spurs are a much better team from top to bottom.

But I'm talking as if this series is over... It's funny because I can see the Heat coming out guns blazing, but I can also see them getting smacked in the mouth once again. Should be interesting.

Last edited:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I dunno, I look at some of those things and feel like they are just expected so to speak. LBJ did run the risk of losing his MVP due to teaming up with all-stars. However, he would have won that if he was still with Cleveland or another team.

Regular season winning streak...but this team is all about the championships?

4 straight trips. Yeah, this reminds me of the Shaq/Kobe Lakers. Three straight trips, got bounced by the Spurs, then got Malone and Payton only to get destroyed by the Pistons. 3/5. I guess I would consider that a success.

I guess I have some high standards for them. If they pull this out, I think their 4 year run is something to be celebrated. If not, 2/4 is very...bleh. Especially, when you're given a pass due to the crappy East. Not like you're duking it out every night.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
It's funny because I can see the Heat coming out guns blazing, but I can also see them getting smacked in the mouth once again. Should be interesting.
Looks like the Heat came out guns blazing, THEN got smacked in the mouth again. I definitely know my team that's for sure. :laugh:

@ theeboredone theeboredone I was listing out all of the team's accomplishments. Even though the regular season is meaningless in the grand scheme of things that winning streak can't be ignored in the same vein that the 2 MVPs can't be ignored when it comes to evaluating LeBron's greatness.

Regardless topics like these are difficult because the true meaning of success is subjective. Everyone has different metrics when it comes to evaluating a team's accomplishments. It all comes down to expectations really.

From my perspective this team met my expectations. I remember specifically stating that I wanted to see at least 2 championships out of this team when they first came together (pretty sure I said it somewhere in this thread in fact). The only truly disappointing season in my eyes is 2011. I stand by what I said earlier when I claimed that the Heat won every series they were supposed to afterwards. Heck some might even make the argument that they overachieved in 2013.

I love the Big 3 and hope they stick together, find a way to re-tool over the summer, and possibly make their 5th straight trip to the Finals. Lets hypothetically say they win the next season... That's 5 straight Finals trips with 3 championships under their belts... Would you still see this team as an underachiever? I sure as hell wouldn't.

No matter what happens I am proud of my team and I thank them for giving me 4 exciting seasons of basketball.

Oh and GG Spurs.

Last edited:

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I look at the Heat team as a success overall. Going to 4 straight NBA Finals is amazing. I don't think 4 straight regardless of winning the Championship has occurred in a very long time, and to win 2 Championships is nice. Despite all the hype around the Heat when the Big 3 came together, it is always difficult for a team to constantly be contending for championships like the Heat have. I hope this Miami group stays together.

I was very happy to see a Spurs vs. Heat rematch because it is basically an old dynasty vs. a new/ up and coming dynasty. I honestly didn't think the Spurs would have their way like this in the Finals with blow out wins. San Antonio amazes me because after wining the Championship in 2007, the Spurs were progressively getting worse each post-season. In 2009 San Antonio was eliminated in the 1st round by Dallas and then upset as a #1 seed in the first round in 2011 by Memphis. I was thinking their window for winning another NBA Championship was closing/closed, but SA all of a sudden started making deep playoff runs again by going to 3 straight Western Conference Finals, Two Championship Finals, and then winning a Championship. The Spurs are not going away. This is possibly the best Spurs team of all their Championship teams. The West was a jungle to get through this season, they won 60+ games in the regular season, and just dominated the Finals.

I'll admit I don't remember the 1999 and 2003 group all that much. I do remember thinking the 1999 season was meh do to the lockout, The Bulls broke apart, and the Spurs beat an 8th seeded Knicks team in the Finals. I didn't think much of that championship, especially after the Lakers would dominantly win the next 3. In 2003 I really just remember being shocked the Spurs defeated the Lakers in the 2nd Round and won a game on an inbound 3 pointer with 0.4 seconds left. In 2005 I thought more highly of San Antonio because it was their 3rd Championship appearance in 6 years, and they were battling my favorite team the Pistons. I was more stunned Detroit pushed it to 7 games more than anything because SA was dominant in 2005 and blew out the Pistons in games 1 and 2. In 2007 I believed the Spurs would win, but not sweep the Cavs. Lebron was dominant in the 2007 Playoffs. He basically singlehandedly defeated the Pistons in the ECF. The Cavs didn't really have a team talent focus and relied primarily on James as a Superstar. Surrounding James with an aging Shaq didn't help make things better.

All in all, I enjoyed the Spurs team focus on this Championship. The passing for open players was big for them.

mcpon

Smash Journeyman
The Spurs are what the mid-2000s to 2010 Pistons could've been when they had Hamilton, Billups, Wallaces and Prince together.

PF9

Smash Lord
Well it's been 6 years since the Sonics became the Thunder. And it's been 10 years since the NBA last increased in size. Within a few years, I'd like to see the NBA add another 2 teams. Based on the geographic distribution of the current 30, I think that Seattle and Vancouver should get the next 2 teams.

I realize Vancouver had its shot and failed last time. But I think several measures could be taken to ensure the Vancouver team's survival - the biggest being that it would be a community-owned team, similar to the NFL's Green Bay Packers (which I am very much a fan of).

As for Seattle, not only should the team have the SuperSonics name, it should have sole ownership of the history of the previous SuperSonics - which would make the Thunder a 2008 expansion team. And I think the ideal owner for the new SuperSonics is Nintendo. They already own the Mariners.

Both teams would be placed in the Northwest Division, in order to facilitate the transfer of the Thunder to the Southwest Division (which would make that division even tougher), and the Timberwolves to the Central Division, so that no division spans more than 2 time zones.

I have drawn up a new regular season schedule format to go with the expansion. All teams would play every non-division foe 2 times (home and road) each year. For members of the 5-team divisions, that's 54 games. For members of the 6-team divisions, that's 52 games. Each team's remaining schedule would be played within the division - 28 games (7 against each team) for members of the 5-team divisions, and 30 games (6 against each team) for members of the 6-team divisions. This format reduces overall travel costs and emphasizes division (regional) rivalries.

What do you think of all this?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
LBJ officially opts out of contract... He's putting pressure on Riley and the rest of the team to work with him and re-tool the roster.

Basically if Wade and Bosh opt in and don't take paycuts LBJ could very likely be gone. The ball is in Riley/Wade/Bosh's court now.

Rumors continually circulating around the possibility of LBJ/Melo teaming up.

Ladies and gents things are about to get crazy so buckle up. >.<

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Last edited:

Suspect

Smash Hero
Miami Heat 4 straight NBA Finals trips... Man this team is something else.

Its truly been a blessing to be a fan of such an incredible organization and team.

No matter what happens in the Finals I'm proud of this squad.
yeah im sure its been great being an "incredible organization" last four years

Last edited:

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Seeing that fanmade image of Lebron wearing #6 on the Celtics is such a blatant disrespect to Bill Russell, you don't wear a legend's number, especially 1 who won the Celtics 11 straight NBA titles throughout the 60s (since it's already retired, he would have gotten a new number had the C's got him, especially on teams where the players already have #6,) but still I'm happy the Cavs jersey 1 became true and he's back home where he belongs, now to gain a road Cavs jersey for myself, since I love the new look better than their previous set (still have my 2 old Cavs jerseys when he 1st wore #23 (got the home white (which is a lil bit too big), and the alt away navy (never got the red color though), now he'll wear #6 (had he not gone to Miami he would have worn that number in Cleveland).

Regardless seeing him on all those teams' jerseys is pretty cool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom