• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

Jane

Smash Hero
i mean yeah, he shrunk in the 4th. but this loss was not his fault. i mostly blame JR Smith for being worthless, followed by coach Woodson who made some horrible decisions down the stretch and throughout the series. everyone else contributed to the loss of course, felton and even chandler come to mind, but my point is i hate JR Smith. i've disliked him since last season. him, dwight, and chalmers are my top 3 most disliked players in the league.

but yo, lets all take a moment to acknowledge the possibility of a memphis indiana finals. least watched finals ever? hahaha. no but seriously, i think it would be a great series. and besides, whats better than two eager virgins going at it right? anyone?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Nothing will beat Pistons vs Spurs.

I know everyone else including JR sucked in the series, but if you look at the last 3-4 minutes of that game, it was there for the Knicks.

-Melo gets blocked.
-Melo offensive foul.
-Melo two turnovers.
-Melo's man scores
-Melo goes 1/6?

I mean that's just turrible.

Edit: Muscle Bound Shawn Bradley LOL

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yes, Vinny of the Black has unfortunately been executed from his high position. Chances are Jordan will think he's some awesome coach and hire him.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
step 1: change name to hornets
step 2: draft bad as usual
step 3: hire VDN
I like step 1. I've never liked the name Bobcats. It just never felt right for some reason, and that's probably because I'm used to Hornets. I think there was a contest back in 2004 to name the team and it came down to 3 options. Bobcats was obviously one, and Dragons was another. I forgot what the third was. Regardless, I'm fine with Hornets once again. It's like the Winnipeg Jets being back in the NHL....well, not really because Charlotte had a team in the NBA, but the point is a tradition is back.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Glad Heat won. Pacers somehow got a Paul George 3 on a broken play, and then George got "fouled" on another broken play. On top of that, they had so many turnovers. They deserved to lose this one. Didn't feel sorry for them one bit when George overplayed LBJ on that drive. Let him take the J and live with it rather than him driving to the hole for a easy one.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
2012-13 ALL-NBA FIRST TEAM

Position Player, Team (1st Team Votes) Points
Forward LeBron James, Miami (119) 595
Forward Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City (102) 555
Center Tim Duncan, San Antonio (45) 392
Guard Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers (91) 521
Guard Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers (97) 537

2012-13 ALL-NBA SECOND TEAM

Forward Carmelo Anthony, New York (24) 397
Forward Blake Griffin, L.A. Clippers 132
Center Marc Gasol, Memphis (38) 295
Guard Tony Parker, San Antonio (16) 273
Guard Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City (20) 306

2012-13 ALL-NBA THIRD TEAM

Forward David Lee, Golden State 79
Forward Paul George, Indiana 73
Center Dwight Howard, L.A. Lakers (17) 203
Guard Dwyane Wade, Miami (3) 145
Guard James Harden, Houston (5) 253

Blake Griffin...how in the world? Coulda been also debatable between Wade and WB. Also, we don't have any other forward out there better than David Lee? Dirk had a injury prone season. Bosh was middle of the road.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Did not see that coming...

Edit: Can the media please stop calling Wade as someone who isn't a dirty player? My gosh, this guy has had more "accidental" incidents than any other player in the league right now.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Damn Spurs you scary. Duncan somehow found the fountain of youth. This Tony Parker fellow is pretty good as well.

And I never anticipated that Indiana would play Miami as well as they have despite the fact that they're down 1-2... They could easily be up 2-1 atm which is a bit of a scary thought for us Heat fans.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
And Wade's knee(s) don't die in the next one or two years.

Also, more that I think about it, the Grizzlies were a better version of the Lakers. Two inside presences, lack of perimeter shooting, and the only difference being that the Grizzlies played better D and had a better PG in Conley.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I'd still say the Heat would remain a top 3 team even with a hobbled Wade. LeBron has always been the reason the Heat are as good as they are now. Plus Bosh would make a good 2nd option.

In terms of them staying together or not I could see something working out if they possibly 3 peat. If LeBron really cared about his legacy he'd have to go for #4.

But for now they gotta focus on #2.... to think this could possibly be the 3 peat if LeBron didn't choke so hard in '11... ugh

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Another Spurs Finals appearance in an odd numbered year (1999, 2003,2005,2007,2013) It would have been funny (not really) if they made it to the Finals in 2001, 2009 and 2011. I'm hoping for a Spurs/Heat finals. It's like a somewhat old dynasty vs. a potential up and coming one.

What also makes the Finals interesting is the Spurs have never lost in the Finals. The Heat are the closest team to really do so since the 2005 Pistons. I don't believe Indiana is making it out of the Eastern Conference Finals. Game 4 tonight will dictate if Indiana will make it a series once again.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It's like Tim Duncan turned into 2007 Duncan or something... or he stole Manu's thunder. :laugh:

As for the Finals, yeah, the Heat are in control. Even without Wade they are better than the Pacers because the Pacers don't have much depth. That and with LeBron going into the post and Bosh going out of the post they are throwing George and Hibbert off their games.
Edit: Can the media please stop calling Wade as someone who isn't a dirty player? My gosh, this guy has had more "accidental" incidents than any other player in the league right now.
Hibbert, Flopnobi, Tony "Free Flopping" Parker.

And yes, I equate flopping to being dirty. "Play like a man or be damned' was always my motto in sports. There ought to be suspensions for flopping, and the fines should be 500k in the playoffs, not a measly 5k.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Remember the days when Wade was an elite player? Good times man.

Then both Bosh and Birdman made Hibbert look like prime Shaq.

Refs throw out LBJ with the most questionable offensive foul I've ever seen called against him.

Just a complete joke of a game all around.

Heat in 6.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Here is my take from the game...

1. Talk about being a wildcard: Lance Stephenson plays and takes some of the worst shots around. Also, I like how he tried to send a "flopping" message in the first quarter.

2. Pacers know how to play physically "right". Meaning, Miami just tries to push and not be fundamentally sound, hence fouling.

3. Refs made a lot of bad calls. The shot clock violation in the fourth quarter was a momentum breaker. I thought LBJ's foul out was a bad one, until TNT pointed out LBJ's foot sticking right underneath Stephenson's. Good call.

4. Wade didn't travel the following possession.

5. George Hill with the dumbest challenge ever. -Sees LBJ...takes a lay up in his face.-

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Just look at all of the fouls the Heat accumulated and then look at Roy Hibberts total. 1 foul? For a center?

Stern clearly wanted at least 6 games this series.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, Hibbert should've had a few more. I remember one call LBJ got called for, he went straight up on. My guess is the Heat get the calls in Game 5 anyways.

Jane

Smash Hero
heat got an awful lot of calls during their series with the bulls anyways.

why doesn't the nba have a challenge system like the nfl again?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I'm not even blaming the refs for the loss cause the Heat played like ass. But what's becoming more apparent to me is just how much influence the refs have over the outcome of a game and its pretty damn infuriating.

I wont get specific with info cause of dem internet stalkers but my dad is a doctor who happens to have a particular NBA ref as a patient. He got the opportunity to talk with this ref 1 on 1 about some basic NBA stuff. At the end of the convo my dad asked the ref if superstars are intentionally given more calls than normal to which the ref replied "Yes we are given orders to protect the league's superstars." Later down the road I went into surgury with my dad and I got to watch him operate on this ref. After the procedure a few hours later I got to talk to him in front of a group of nurses. I asked him the same question my dad asked about superstar calls and he hesitated for a moment and then proceeded to lie straight to my face when he said "Nah".

So what was the point of that wall of text? That answer he gave me made me realize that the NBA is a buiseness first and competetive league second. If a ref can sit there and lie to the masses about superstar calls then what else could they be hiding? If refs are given orders to protect superstars who's to say they aren't given orders to help determine the outcome of a series?

Ive always kept that thought in the back of my mind for the past year or so but last nights game had me pondering that question. Ill probably never know just how corupt and ingenuine the NBA really is but I can definitely confirm purposely biased officiating is real.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
thought the call where lebron went straight up was bad unless he has to power to air dash backward you really shouldnt call that

the call for wade i thought was spot on he pumpfakes leaves his pivot foot without committing then lifts a second time

my problem is with the consistency of the calls

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Sounds like a story that would come straight out of 4chan. TRG, I know you didn't want to give explicit details, but for the sake of even more privacy, I hope you changed the "occupations" of your dad and all that stuff. It can be pretty easy to narrow some of that down given your previous posts of where you are from.

LBJ: I never flop

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I was being vague just for the sake of the ref actually lol. If someone wants to stalk my life so hard just to find out where my dad works then so be it haha.

Reading all of that again I guess it does seem kinda iffy. But nah its all true. Believe what you want.

Jane

Smash Hero
holy **** man. i have immense respect for LBJ. but stuff like that, its just so sad he's tarnishing his image with all his magnificent flopping.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I don't understand how it gets picked up. I don't think college players flop nearly as much if at all. Any local tournament or league games, you don't have anyone flop or scream like crazy when they get fouled.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
There was a time when you could trash talk LBJ and get him shaken up. That time is long gone. Lance Stephenson can attest to that lol.

With that being said, the Pacers back court is sooooo bad. George Hill is not a starting PG, and they need someone who can create his own basket or get the ball into the post on a consistent basis if this team wants to take it to the next level.

Top Bottom