• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Stan Van Gundy = Master of Panic/Fat Greek Restaurant Owner.

And I agree that Pop and Doc are great coaches. Though I do wanna see how Doc does this year without Tom Thibodeau masterminding the defense. The dude was a genius when it came to that. Still, I feel only 39% for Phil is showing no love at all. Then again...Mark Cuban probably voted for Carlisle, and Pat Riley voted himself (HINT HINT).

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
lol @ Pat Riley voting for himself. Too good.

I think Spoelstraadlskdfjal(how the hell do you spell his name?) is a decent coach, but it doesn't matter what you say with the Biggest 3 of all out there.

Oh, and Mike Brown wasn't a bad coach. It sucks what happened to him.

And I guess Don Nelson and Jerry Sloan deserve some props. Didn't Nelson retire though? Or was he about to? I forget.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Mike Brown sucked man. Seriously, he was good on defense, but his offensive philosophy was "Give LeBron the ball". He also failed to make any potential adjustments in the playoff. Good season coach, but would never have him on my staff in the playoffs.

I like Spoelstra...I know he had Wade, but taking that team of scrubs to playoffs last year require a good coach too. He's the only guy I like on the Heat.

Don Nelson was fired by the new GSW owners. He is the winningest coach in NBA history, but he's been in the league a long, LONG time. Phil Jackson has coached 21 years while Nelson has 31. Phil is only 300 wins away from breaking that record. That's doable in 6 seasons if he gets 50 wins per season. Also, Nelson doesn't have a ring.

Sloan...no opinion on him lol. Just this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE0tkdtaLmY

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I dunno', I think he got overwhelmed by the LeBron wave. He's a good enough coach for the league, in my opinion.

And the Heat were a bunch of scrubs before, I won't lie. Him and Wade did something right, for sure.

Nelly loved offense so much, I've gotta' respect it some.

And Bored, that video is amazing. XD

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Haha, he's quickly entering Starbury status, which isn't something I could've imagined 5 years ago. In my mind, he can still be Agent 0, but it's not likely.

Either way, with John Wall being so **** good, the Wizards will drop Arenas when they get a chance. But that contract... ****.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
No, that's just MJ being MJ. Cocky and repping himself as the GOAT. People will argue for him, saying there's a hand checking rule in place, but you can look on the other side and say MJ's great defense can be credited to him hand checking as well.

In all honesty though, hand checking still happens (Look at how Ray and Tony Allen defended Kobe in the finals).

As far as his offense goes...today's generation are much more athletic, so it would be tougher for MJ to get the easy dribble drive. Don't forget back then, there was no zone defense.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
MJ wouldn't score 100. lol

Bored's right, MJ's extremely cocky, but ****, he's good enough to be.

I think hand checking fouls should be gotten rid of though, personally. They've made the game a bit too ticky tack on the perimeter, and touch fouls shouldn't be fouls.

But don't make a mistake, I think MJ is more athletic than most everyone in the game right now. Maybe LeBron's more athletic, and Vince Carter was and such. MJ was a freak though.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So I was thinking if anyone else besides me watched highlight music videos of players? Most of mine are in regards to Kobe and the Lakers, but there are some I watch featuring other players. In any case, I figure we could share some of the best we've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9lL1SNTuKs (Kobe video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OmE3B-s8ow (This is for Maaan)

Oh and in other news, LeBaby making news about how his feelings got hurt from Twitter.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I haven't heard about LeBron's new issues. What happened? But, didn't he use Twitter to call out everyone who ever criticized him shortly after The Decision? lol

And Bored, that's okay with me man. The series was great. Dirk's one of my favorite players in the league. Too bad he's on the ***** *** Mavs. XD

Also, the video does a good job showing how **** loud it is in the AT&T Center.

Man, if we had beaten them that year, we could've had 5 rings. I guarantee we would've beat the Heat. We play our best defense against teams with one monster player. We let them do what they want and lock down everyone else. lol

Edit: I'm not trying to knock the Suns by not mentioning them by the way. I just wasn't too afraid, since we'd had their number forever. It sucked when they beat us last year. XD

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Sorry, but I have to double post. NBA season kicks off tonight! I'm so hyped. I'm not gonna lie, I'll be watching the Boston and Heat match up intently to see how they stack up against my Lakers. Then of course, we get to see if Kobe later tonight and determine if he was sandbagging in the preseason.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Yeah, I'm already waiting for that game. ****'s gonna' be great!!!

Miami @ Boston, then Houston @ LA are the two games on TNT tonight.

Phoenix plays Portland, but not on national TV.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Not really too unexpected.

I thought Miami would win, but the Celtics are the current Eastern Conference champs. Losing a close one isn't so outlandish.

Houston showed that they're a good team, and playoff bound.

Portland showed they're still good, and that Phoenix will lack this year with Amare's absence.

Nike.

Smash Hero
I haven't heard about LeBron's new issues. What happened? But, didn't he use Twitter to call out everyone who ever criticized him shortly after The Decision? lol

And Bored, that's okay with me man. The series was great. Dirk's one of my favorite players in the league. Too bad he's on the ***** *** Mavs. XD

Also, the video does a good job showing how **** loud it is in the AT&T Center.

Man, if we had beaten them that year, we could've had 5 rings. I guarantee we would've beat the Heat. We play our best defense against teams with one monster player. We let them do what they want and lock down everyone else. lol

Edit: I'm not trying to knock the Suns by not mentioning them by the way. I just wasn't too afraid, since we'd had their number forever. It sucked when they beat us last year. XD

Manu foul

Could've been a 5-peat :(

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Aaron Brooks has always killed the Lakers dating back to the season where they pushed us to 7 games. Steve Blake however did a magnificent job shutting him down in the second half. Both him and Kevin Martin were on fire in the first half. EVERYTHING was going in, which was frustrating to watch.

I'm glad Yao did really well for his first game back. Like Kobe, his defense is not gonna be there for a while, but he looked really good. I just hope he can avoid injury. I really like the guy. And how convenient was it that he fouled out at his 24 minute limit? LOL.

Kobe looked solid, but he's still missing that explosion and defense. When Shane Battier is blowing by you, you know something is wrong.

Gasol looked like a wimp a lot of times taking too many jump shots and awkward shots vs Yao. Yao has 70 lbs on him, but Gasol should have used his speed more via drive.

Artest took 15 shots? Um...go talk to your psychologist plz. Best part was when he was trapped under the basket vs Yao and thought he could somehow get it to go on 3 attempts...all 3 blocked. Oh and he blew 2 fast break lay ups. Guy is a wreck in the transition game.

Chris...er Shannon Brown's 3 point game looks solid. Hope he can continue that. It's gonna help a lot.
-----

As far as Boston and Heat game goes. I knew Boston would win. You just can't expect the new Big 3 to come out and start throwing alley oops and what not to each other. However, if there is one glaring hole I noticed, it was that there was too much 1 on 1 basketball. If LeBron had the ball up top, get out the way. If D-wade has it, get out the way. If Bosh has it, get out the way. They need to work together more.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I love what Bored did, describing his team as he sees them. Everyone in this thread should describe their squad the same way, it'll be great.

I'll give you my take on the Spurs' opener when I get a free chance.

Also, Chris Bosh is not the kind of Big Man that LeBron and D-Wade need. Chris Bosh is not a great pick and roll guy in my opinion.

The pick and roll/pick and pop is my favorite basketball play. That's one of the toughest things to stop when both big and little are lethal.

What I want to see them do is run Dwayne with the ball, LeBron as the pick man. LeBron needs to start playing like a hybrid SF/PF, and slide Bosh to a Center's role. That way, if the opposing Center drifts to help, he's leaving Chris Bosh open. That's not a good option. If the SG rolls over to pick up Bosh, then someone like James Jones is open. That's also not a good option.

That's just what I'd like to see them try at least.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Asking LeBron to do a catch and shoot off a pick is laughable. Though Wade setting a pick on LeBron's man is more plausible. Regardless, they can simply win on talent alone as evidenced by last night. Wade went off, Bosh shot 50%, and LeBron had his 8 turnovers.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Haha yea, that is pretty impressive. But Orlando needs to get help from the other guys. It feels like Dwight is the only one who's scored.

BEHR

Smash Hero
Houston is Starting To Irritate Me.

0-3 not a good way to start

still to early

but in all three games we are blowing are leads in the Second half/Fourth Quarter and not Playing D

We need a closer. );

Hopefully we trade for Iggy or G-Wall.

Also Play Hill behind Scola and Bud/Lee in front of Battier. :']

and Give Yao his minutes.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Iggy? Iguodala? That guy is nothing more than a third option. He's versatile, his shot is super shaky, but is good on defense and rebounding. By no means is he someone you want. If possible, Houston should try and bid for Melo.

BEHR

Smash Hero
Iggy would be a improvment and Melo would be good too,but I dont see him being with the Rockets by Feb or Next Year At all.

a line up of

Yao/Miller/Dampier
Scola/Hill
Iggy/Bud/Lee
Martin/Lee
Lowry/Smith

would be so much better on Defense. Defense win Championships IMO.

I would prob Trade Brooks,Battier, and a Draft Pick. Thats all maybe tho.

Also we have alot of People who can score.
Yao can still get 14+,Scola gets like 20+ a Game,Iggy can surely do 15+,Martin 20+ bench can score also.

If we wanna fix the current line up I dont know what really to do other then give Scola the ball and carry the team. D:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You need Brooks. He is sooo underrated. He can break down so many guards and create shots. He was a 40% 3 point shooter last year. The guy is mad good. And I'm not just saying this because he burns the Lakers all the time. He is very underrated.

BEHR

Smash Hero
True he is underrated,but he needs to learn D lmao.

I dont know,but im still faithful in the current squad we got I know someway there gunna make it to the playoffs and beat the Lakers. :']

I just hate their fourth quarter performances lmao.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
*Warning... Long time Miami Heat fan approaching*

So I think the Heat have a very good chance of getting a ring this year. The Heat currently have the best defense in the NBA right now. They've already shut down 2 top 5 offensive threats: The Magic and Celtics. Despite the fact that the Heat barely lost to the Celtics, Boston played a very poor offensive game.

So once the Heat can get their offense going to their full potential, combined with their amazing defense, there will not be a single team in the NBA that can match up. MAYBE the Lakers...

tko112

Smash Lord
i like the fact that the Lakers have been playing well despite being "under the radar" so far this season.

but what shocks me is that the Hawks and the Hornets are still undefeated

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
but what shocks me is that the Hawks and the Hornets are still undefeated
hawks aren't a shocker. if they win a game in the second round of the playoffs, then i'll be shocked.

besides, there are 82 games in a season. undefeated doesn't mean anything only 5 games into the season.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Haha, how are the defending champs under the radar? They're no more under the radar than the Spurs have been the past 5 years. It's just that they're so good, it's expected of them.

Hawks don't shock me though, they've always been good. They need to beat the beasts of the East before they're taken serious.

Hornets are a major surprise to me so far, although 5 games isn't a big deal. lol
They gave my Spurs their only loss in the early season, so they're doing something right. :p

Zigsta, name search this post.

HORNETS SUCK. (I'm going to the next game we play against NO. :D)

Edit: Well, Blu3 summarized my point pretty nicely. lol

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Don't worry about the Hornets being undefeated the Heat will quickly change that on Friday.

As for the Hawks, they still haven't played the Heat, Boston, Magic, Bulls, or any top 3 team in the Western Conference.

Fun fact: The Hawks have yet to play a team with a winning record.

Being 4-1 so far against 2 top 5 teams (The Heat) is more impressive than being 5-0 against a bunch of terrible teams (Hawks).

BEHR

Smash Hero
I have a good feeling Houston is gunna beat San Antonio This weekend.(I think this weekend)

I hope Yao goes off.

Top Bottom