• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I was about to say Maan, haven't see you post in ages around here.

Utah has a chance of being a top 3 team, because I think they do become a better offensive team with Al Jefferson. However, that entire team was below average on defense to begin with and Al Jefferson isn't a defensive juggernaut. Too many times I saw my Lakers completely dismantle them in so many ways. It's not individual defense that's the problem as it is team defense.

I don't like Bosh or Bron, but I don't mind D-Wade. Though I still feel like Stern had a hand in giving them the title against the Mavs that year. Way too many suspicious calls that could have given the Mavs an extra win or two they needed. In that series, you couldn't even breath on Wade without having a foul called on you. Anyways, I can understand the view point of a Non-Laker fan when they want to see the best go down. Since a lot of people and bandwagoners are jumping on the Heat Meat Riding Train, I'm gonna be hoping Boston and them are the only teams that don't win.

Also, KD took his game to another level during the FIBA championships. In fact, the top three best players during the FIBA tournament for USA in order were Durant, Westbrook, and Odom. They don't win the tournament without Durant though. If Westbrook can elevate his game to All-Star status, it will be a scary thought to think an OKC team with the best scorer and one of the best PG in the game. They also have a lot of raw talent that can potentially develop into solid players like Ibaka.

Random note, it's a shame how some of the premiere young PGs have the obvious flaw of poor shooting. Derrick Rose and Rondo come to mind. At least Westbrook is coming along nicely with it. Rondo and Rose need to step it up before they get up there in age. It was a big reason why Rondo got cut from the US team, and why Rose didn't play much.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
You're right about Portland, I don't know how I forgot them last night. lol
Me, I can't get hyped about them until they actually accomplish something, you know? The injuries have rocked them silly.

And Dwight will be a problem for the Heat, true. The Heat will be running some kind of high octane European-esque offense, and athletic big men dominate Euroball.

I've gotta' disagree on the OKC thing though. Everyone knows Russell Westbrook and KD, but Jeff Green is a legitimate forward for them, and they drafted Cole Aldrich out of Kansas for size and rebounding this year. Not big steps, but no key losses and a couple of additions is a good thing for an already good team in a deteriorating Western Conference. And being an 8 seed in a hyper competitive West is a good thing, in my book. Nothing really seperated the 4th through 8th seeds last year. And in SA, we've had the philosophy of just making the playoffs for nearly a decade. lol

Once you make it to the show, that's when the games matter.

And as for KD, I really do think there's a legitimate case for him being the possible best player in the game. There's probably not a more efficient player out there. LeBron is a physical specimen, don't get me wrong, and Kobe's the most dominant mentally. I'm just saying Durant is unguardable for the most part, and silly efficient.

FG %: 0.476 3ptFG %: 0.365 FT %: 0.900 RPG: 7.6 APG: 2.8 SPG: 1.4 BPG: 1.0 PPG: 30.1

That statline was best of the season last year, in my opinion. You can't foul him, he's lights out there. 47% is silly good from the floor. 7 Rebounds a game is monster from your leading scorer, a la Kobe. 3 assists is decent, but not great. A steal and a block show he is active on defense, mostly because of his length. And while that 3pt % is not spectacular, it's enough to keep in mind, unlike the aptly named LeBrick. He's an all-around talent that's scary calm for his age.

All that said though, I'd still rank them Kobe-LeBron-Durant. Kobe's the best right now because he just plain wins games. LeBron's the most talented and a great team player. Durant's the most efficient and reliable on offense.

However, if I had to build a team around one star, I'd rate them LeBron-Durant-Kobe.

You?

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I was about to say Maan, haven't see you post in ages around here.

Utah has a chance of being a top 3 team, because I think they do become a better offensive team with Al Jefferson. However, that entire team was below average on defense to begin with and Al Jefferson isn't a defensive juggernaut. Too many times I saw my Lakers completely dismantle them in so many ways. It's not individual defense that's the problem as it is team defense.

I don't like Bosh or Bron, but I don't mind D-Wade. Though I still feel like Stern had a hand in giving them the title against the Mavs that year. Way too many suspicious calls that could have given the Mavs an extra win or two they needed. In that series, you couldn't even breath on Wade without having a foul called on you. Anyways, I can understand the view point of a Non-Laker fan when they want to see the best go down. Since a lot of people and bandwagoners are jumping on the Heat Meat Riding Train, I'm gonna be hoping Boston and them are the only teams that don't win.

Also, KD took his game to another level during the FIBA championships. In fact, the top three best players during the FIBA tournament for USA in order were Durant, Westbrook, and Odom. They don't win the tournament without Durant though. If Westbrook can elevate his game to All-Star status, it will be a scary thought to think an OKC team with the best scorer and one of the best PG in the game. They also have a lot of raw talent that can potentially develop into solid players like Ibaka.

Random note, it's a shame how some of the premiere young PGs have the obvious flaw of poor shooting. Derrick Rose and Rondo come to mind. At least Westbrook is coming along nicely with it. Rondo and Rose need to step it up before they get up there in age. It was a big reason why Rondo got cut from the US team, and why Rose didn't play much.
Utah is pretty weak on defense, it's just normally hidden by the low scoring games because of their slow-tempo offense. They employ that "Just keep it close" philosophy.

And I won't be a Heat fan, because I don't think what they're doing can work at all. I've never liked Bosh as a player. Give me KG or Timmy D anytime. Bosh is highly overrated in my opinion. I still think think the raw talent there is enough to challenge the win record though.

You're right about FIBA too. I loved watching the young players play so well. I was pleasantly surprised.

And you're also right about PG's not shooting. Rondo is one of my favorite PG's, but I can't lie, it was painfully obvious when LA straight up would not defend him near the 3 point line. And Rondo couldn't do anything. If he ever develops that shot, I've got him as the best PG around. He's got Steve Nash talents with more athleticism. Tony Parker's always had a sketchy jump-shot too, which I hate. Actually, none of the Spurs are lights out shooters. Tragic. :(

At least your PG's are threats behind the arc, Bored. lol
I never want Derek Fisher shooting the 3-ball in the 4th quarter. It WILL go in.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
it was funny watching kobe guard rondo. there was good 8 feet between those two unless rondo got close to the basket.

D-Will is my favorite point guard. his shot's not bad... i think he's the best pg in the league, personally.

i think bosh will have the most trouble trying to fit into the miami offense. lebron's gonna be playing point guard most of the time (if they're smart) and d-wade's gonna be flourish with lebron throwing him alley-oops all the time :). i really see bosh's numbers dropping the most significantly, while lebron's will go down in points but up in virtually every other category....except free throw percentage >_>. bosh really benefited statistically from being the raptors' only real offensive weapon. i see his rebounds going down once lebron starts flying in and snatching them away from him lol. i wouldn't be surprised to see bosh average 14 and 9. that dude is too thin to be a powerhouse. 6'11, 230 lbs. i'm 6'1, 217lbs. something is wrong there lol. he needs to put on more muscle or something.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Haha, so at least we're all agreed that Bosh is a bit overrated. XD
He is way too thin to be a big man though. All his weight is from his height.

But that kind of Miami offense is what I'm hoping to see from them. I honestly don't see people beating LeBron and D-Wade. My mind tells me they're clearly gonna' be beaten a lot, but my gut's telling me who's gonna' stop them?

Of course, I still like the Magic in the East. I think they're the best team, they just don't have a good PG for Howard. Jameer Nelson's a good baller, but he's not a true point, which Dwight really needs.

****, could you imagine Chauncy Billups or Steve Nash playing with Dwight? That'd be beast.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
They tried to get CP3 over to Orlando, but it didn't workout. Still though...I would love to see CP3 with Dwight...so sexy.

Hell, I would give up Jameer and VC for CP3 and Peja. Then go and get Courtney Lee back form the Nets to play SG. That team would be so flashy and amazing...

CP3, Courtney Lee, Peja, Rashard, and Dwight. It's got defense, three point shooting, and good PG. Though it lacks in rebounding.

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
Melo is being traded to New Jersey now? Looks like it's up to Denver to pull the trigger and a separate Anthony decision to sign an extension there, according to sources. Thoughts?

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
it's a win win for melo. he stays, his contract expires, he signs wherever he wants. he gets traded, he doesn't like it, his contract expires, he signs wherever he wants. but he can't honestly expect to win anything on either team.

5ive

Smash Champion
Overrated? Since when? Since Bosh went to Miami? He's been ****ing underrated for years. He has the quicks, the jumper, and the muscle to be a great player. Is it only the people from Toronto who really knew how he played? He can make his own shot, grab boards, and play D. He's the second best PF behind Pau. Bosh wasn't ever only finesse, he can play a post game like a center. It's just wierd you say he's overrated when he never got the attention he deserved in Torono. It just makes me mad.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The fact that you're from Toronto makes your rant even more hilarious. Everyone knows he's a good PF, but he should never be said in the same breath among the elite like LeBron, Wade, Kobe, Carmelo, etc.

He's an all-star player, and that's it. He's not a dominant force like LeBron, Kobe, Wade, etc. He's not tough. He won't get nasty if he had to go against Perkins or Dwight. This is coming from a Laker fan who witnessed in 2008 the entire team minus Kobe get pushed around. I don't think you know what it means to play a power game in comparison to finesse. Hell, you can play a power game, but if you don't have the toughness inside, not get pushed around, and get those boards, it means nothing. Bosh doesn't have the height or toughness to go against taller PFs like Gasol or Duncan, and he does not have the strength and power to go against strong centers if he's called upon it.

He only took his team twice to the playoffs, and don't give me the excuse on he has a crappy roster. He's not a dominant force to carry his team. Is he an all-star? Sure. But by no means is he some dominant force people are gonna worry about.

And second best PF? Good joke. I would take Gasol, Dirk, and possibly Amare before I take Bosh. The 3 I mentioned have learned how to play as a second banana or close to it. This will be the first time we're gonna see Bosh on a "good" team, so we'll also get to see how he operates when he isn't handling the ball as much. If he's that good, he'll find a way to fit himself right in and be a threatening force.

5ive

Smash Champion
The fact that you're from Toronto makes your rant even more hilarious. Everyone knows he's a good PF, but he should never be said in the same breath among the elite like LeBron, Wade, Kobe, Carmelo, etc.

He's an all-star player, and that's it. He's not a dominant force like LeBron, Kobe, Wade, etc. He's not tough. He won't get nasty if he had to go against Perkins or Dwight. This is coming from a Laker fan who witnessed in 2008 the entire team minus Kobe get pushed around. I don't think you know what it means to play a power game in comparison to finesse. Hell, you can play a power game, but if you don't have the toughness inside, not get pushed around, and get those boards, it means nothing. Bosh doesn't have the height or toughness to go against taller PFs like Gasol or Duncan, and he does not have the strength and power to go against strong centers if he's called upon it.

He only took his team twice to the playoffs, and don't give me the excuse on he has a crappy roster. He's not a dominant force to carry his team. Is he an all-star? Sure. But by no means is he some dominant force people are gonna worry about.

And second best PF? Good joke. I would take Gasol, Dirk, and possibly Amare before I take Bosh. The 3 I mentioned have learned how to play as a second banana or close to it. This will be the first time we're gonna see Bosh on a "good" team, so we'll also get to see how he operates when he isn't handling the ball as much. If he's that good, he'll find a way to fit himself right in and be a threatening force.
Amare can't make his own **** shot. You're so salty. Everything else in my post was sarcastic.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
it's hard to sense sarcasm online without an "lol". bored's not salty; he just made a response for your comment.

this carmelo trade is gonna be terrible. it's only gonna be carmelo and brook lopez on the team because they'll have to trade devin harris. if melo isn't willing to sign an extension to stay with the nets, they truly are dumb if they still go through with the trade

tko112

Smash Lord
Bosh iz clearly underrated and he's an all-star no doubt, but frm wat ive heard, he seems 2 get frustrated easily whenever his team isn't winning, and tends 2 wilt under pressure

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Bosh isn't tough though, is my main point. He doesn't play like a strong big man. He's productive, but he's not reliable in the post. Also, he's way too whiny. He's got a diva-like attitude, and it's because he's been the man in Toronto forever.

But I won't lie, I'm biased against him. I really just don't care for him. XD

And this is a ******** trade. Melo shouldn't want to play in New Jersey for more than one year, and New Jersey shouldn't want to implode their squad for one year of Melo.
Unless they have cap space reasons for doing this, but they shouldn't need that even.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Bosh isn't tough though, is my main point. He doesn't play like a strong big man. He's productive, but he's not reliable in the post. Also, he's way too whiny. He's got a diva-like attitude, and it's because he's been the man in Toronto forever.

But I won't lie, I'm biased against him. I really just don't care for him. XD

And this is a ******** trade. Melo shouldn't want to play in New Jersey for more than one year, and New Jersey shouldn't want to implode their squad for one year of Melo.
Unless they have cap space reasons for doing this, but they shouldn't need that even.
i'm not a bosh hater but i couldn't understand why he said he wanted to be the man to wherever he went to but ended up signing with miami to be lebron and wade's sidekick.

according to nba.com, melo's decided to wait until the end of the year, which is by far the smartest thing he can do.

on another note, randomly started thinking about this. everyone says that the heat are gonna get beatdown low in the post. but, with lebron and wade driving to the hole full speed, how the hell can you keep your big guys out of foul trouble?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I've been saying that for a while Blu. Asking your bigs and teammates to rotate on defense constantly is gonna wear them out. They will get in foul trouble unless they get out of the way. Just imagine Wade going to the hoop from one side of the court, dish it out to LeBron who has an easier lane straight through. Fly into the sky, go for a dunk or get fouled hard.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
It's true, the half-court game is their only weak-point and their upside on the fast break is more than enough to outweigh that.

Constant foul trouble from aggressive players who draw fouls, on top of not really being able to help off of Bosh. Scary to defend. Fatigue will be huge.

I wanna' see how long the 3 of them can stay in the game though. It'll be tough to play 3 or 4 man basketball for 48 minutes.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think aside from the center position, they have a legit starting group. Hell, if LBJ is gonna play PG, you can start Mike Miller at SF who is a dangerous 3 point shooter. Their bench may be lacking though.

But if you watch the Lakers, Phil always leaves in a star player with the back up unit. So even if it's LBJ or Wade with the back up unit, it's still a dangerous team.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Well, I'm glad that ******* idea is done with.

Also, while we're still semi-talking about the Heat...

What are the chances that LeBron averages a triple double this year, a la Big O?

He's been close every year, and now that he's gonna' be their main facilitator, coupled with the lack of a big-time rebounder...

Seems mighty possible to me.

tko112

Smash Lord
i kind of doubt it, cuz even when had 2 do everything in Cleveland, he wasn't able 2 get triple-double numbers, plus D-Wade haz always been da facilitator, so i kind of doubt it, but u nvr know

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Haha, of course it'd be difficult for him. Only one player ever has done it.

I'm just saying with a weapon like D-Wade on his side, assists are much easier.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
i can see lebron averaging 19-20 pts. 10 rbs and 9 apg. i personally feel like alotta old school players' stats were inflated. prolly will receive backlash for that lol.

^mannnnnn will they keep a mic away from this guy and just give him the basketball smh.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
lebron had triple double every few games in cleveland
miami got miller who got somewhat of a outside shot and he a big body on the field.
during the playoffs they gonna have to seat their mains more. though regular season gonna be intersting seeing if they can get to the record # of wins in season.
rest of their bench in trouble though and bosh gonna drop in numbers.
probably average 15. he weak on his left side though he like the sidekicks, sidekick so he wont have to score as much.
still got wade and lebron averaging 25 a game gurantee. aint noone gonna be able to stop them on fast breaks and they pick and roll game gonna have to be on point since lebron aint got that good of a post game.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Haha, don't forget that Bosh and Bron are new in town. Dwayne Wade is a stud. He has made a name for himself with really nothing special on his team. He should be outscoring LeBron this season, since that's his thing.

Although, to counter one thing, LeBron's got a monster post game. He just refuses to use it for some reason. His mindset is not to post up, but he's got the skills to do it easily.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yea, Bron has the potential to have a legit post game, but it's really raw. LeBron's footwork is laughable in that area.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Oh man, I haven't seen that clip in too long. That's high-level mindgames right there. XD

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
haha.....i hope he actually gets some play time.....still can't believe this guy has more rings than most nba players while barely clocking ANY minutes.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
So, Yao Ming got PT last night.

And I love it. He's being limited to those 24 minutes, but it's good to just see him out there. Maybe he can be the kind of player Mutombo was late in his career and use his natural body for the team.

I'm glad he's playing again.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
So, this isn't exactly basketball news, but it's pretty amazing for any sports fan. Posting this in the Football thread too. (I don't even like baseball.)

Roy Halladay pitched a No-Hitter tonight in his first career playoff game. He had the most active starts without a playoff appearance, and a large deal was made about him finally making it.
And he delivered. Second No-No thrown in the playoffs, ever. The last was in the 50's.

Not only that, he threw a Perfect Game earlier this year, meaning he's had two of them now in one season. I think only 4 people have done that ever.

He'd also pitched 5 other games this season with 5 hits or less. My point is, this was a hell of a season for him, and this was crazier than all of it. And that's all for me talking baseball.

In more relevant news, the NBA GM's poll was released today. Here's some of the results:

63% say Lakers win it. 33% say the Heat will.

Durant wins MVP say 67% of GM's, with Kobe getting 26%.

From ESPN.com:
Other winners included John Wall as the league's rookie of the year (68 percent); Deron Williams of the Utah Jazz as the league's best point guard (60 percent); Dirk Nowitzki of the Dallas Mavericks and Pau Gasol of the Lakers as the top power forward (29 percent); Howard as the league's top center (96 percent); James as the best small forward (68 percent); and Bryant as the top shooting guard (86 percent).

Nowitzki also was voted the top international player and Durant as the player the GMs most would like to start a franchise with. Howard was named as the league's top defensive player on 79 percent of the ballots.

Bryant (79 percent) was the pick of the GMs as the player they'd rely on to take a shot with the game on the line.

The Heat are the pick as the most improved team (39 percent), followed by the New York Knicks and Washington Wizards (14 percent).

The Thunder were picked as the "most fun team to watch" by 52 percent of the respondents, while the Jazz were picked by 46 percent as the team with the best home-court advantage.

Phil Jackson, who returned to the Lakers, was voted the league's best coach (39 percent).

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Haha, I'd make the argument that he's had the best talent, but that would only prove his coaching skills.

He's definitely the best superstar player coach, that's for sure.

I think Doc Rivers and of course, my boy Popovich deserve some credit.

I'd rank them Phil Jackson, Popovich, then Doc.

My biggest thing is that Phil just runs that **** triangle offense, and it benefits playmakers.
He's good at it though.

Top Bottom