• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I'm gonna be 'that' guy and say I'd rather most third party characters be stand alone representatives. Adding characters to third party franchises already in the game takes away from the specialness of those characters making it in to me. I'd say Echo Fighter representatives are the outlier of this sense its basically the same character with aesthetic tweaks, so Richter and Ken are fine, and I'd even say Shadow would be a fine Echo Fighter inclusion for Sonic. But I'd really prefer one third party character per franchise if I'm being honest. However, I'd be open for more third party inclusions in something like a Subspace Emissary 2, like I said before. How could would it be to see Dr. Robotnik, Dr. Wily, the Ghosts from Pac-Man, M. Bison, Dracula, and Gruntilda joining forces with Bowser, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, King Dedede, Wario, Wolf, Pokey Minch, Ridley, and King K. Rool in cutscenes? Some of the most iconic video game villains, bosses, and antagonists all together on-screen for the first time. Of course, most of these guys were already in Bad-Anon with Wreck-It Ralph lmao so idk

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Grunty is the obvious second choice, as I like important franchises having a sidekick/heroine/villain where appropriate. Grunty's dash animation could be riding her broom, jabbing characters with it, she could use magic, both straightfoward and homing, as well as throwing fireballs. She'd actually be pretty good. Mumbo, less so, as his powers tend to be more contextual and would require more artistic liberties. I'd actually prefer Conker most of all, probably.

I want Mozand and Leaky the bucket.
Just kidding, Grunty and Mimbo would be cool.
The 5th round in Banjo & Kazooie's classic mode is Master Hand as Motzand in Luigi's Mansion stage. I mean, come on.

Last edited:

NerFox

Smash Cadet
To be honest I'm excited for all you Banjo & Kazooie fans with his release being almost there!

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
September has come. The month where the autumn begins.
'Due to the realignment of various planets and maybe a moon or 7, autumn has been delayed for 2 years. When Saturn was asked to comment, all they could scream was 'Screw you Banjo-Kazooie!' Its is very odd that a video game character impacted celestial bodies, but here we are.

Up next, sports!'

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
'Due to the realignment of various planets and maybe a moon or 7, autumn has been delayed for 2 years. When Saturn was asked to comment, all they could scream was 'Screw you Banjo-Kazooie!' Its is very odd that a video game character impacted celestial bodies, but here we are.

Up next, sports!'
Saturn's more of a Sonic fan.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Even as we draw closer to release, it's still hard to believe we really live in a world where Banjo and Kazooie came back home.

I might cry all over again when I finally get to play as them.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
"The bear and bird will soon be home. The future never looked brighter. But it's not over yet kids. Cause Nintendo just leaked the next fighter!"

dlewis53

Smash Lord
"The bear and bird will soon be home. The future never looked brighter. But it's not over yet kids. Cause Nintendo just leaked the next fighter!"
Well, that was a pretty big oops on Nintendo's part. To be honest, I know jack squat about SNK or the games they make, so I pretty much only have the potential moveset to get me interested.

Edit: So apparently that SNK copyright was accidentally copy-pasted onto the Smash Bros website when it applied to a different game. So we're back to not knowing who Fighter #4 is.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
geeez how meany characters has nintendo themselves leak or hint at by acedent so far ?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
geeez how meany characters has nintendo themselves leak or hint at by acedent so far ?
The Belmonts last year with the mistake of placing the title Bloody Tears/Monster Dance in the Galaga Medley on Youtube the night before the August 8th Direct and SNK being listed on the Smash site. That's all I can recall.

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Well, that was a pretty big oops on Nintendo's part. To be honest, I know jack squat about SNK or the games they make, so I pretty much only have the potential moveset to get me interested.

Edit: So apparently that SNK copyright was accidentally copy-pasted onto the Smash Bros website when it applied to a different game. So we're back to not knowing who Fighter #4 is.
It's fake? Darn it. There go the people who want Frisk or Goku again.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
With all the excitement over a new Direct, someone had to put me in a bad mood and diss my boy Diddy and RARE, LOL! https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-direct-speculation-ot2-reset-the-thread.110533/page-243

Diddy might not be the hot commodity he was in the 90s, but to say he and RARE are not popular is laughably BS. And Diddy Kong Racing is already an established and beloved IP so the comparison to "Toad Kart" is completely off the mark. A sequel would do well.

Sorry, I had to vent somewhere. I would do it there, but I don't have an account.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It's fake? Darn it. There go the people who want Frisk or Goku again.
At least Frisk could actually get in.

But no, it wasn’t an accident, and it’s not fake. The copyright is the same one SNK uses for their other crossovers and stuff, the file size is the same as other fighter packs or at least Joker’s, Hero and Banjo-Kazooie only list their respective companies in their copyrights as well, and Nintendo took FP4’s page down.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace

The SNK copyright MIGHT have been copyrighted copy-pasted from another game. It is worth noting that these pages for the fighter packs have had inconsistencies with the copyright banner, such as Hero only crediting the relevant parties to Dragon Quest (Studio Bird, Square Enix, and something else I don't recall off hand.), and Joker, funnily enough, crediting every company with characters involved in Smash except Atlus. So, it's a little up in the air whether an SNK character is or isn't coming.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The SNK copyright MIGHT have been copyrighted copy-pasted from another game. It is worth noting that these pages for the fighter packs have had inconsistencies with the copyright banner, such as Hero only crediting the relevant parties to Dragon Quest (Studio Bird, Square Enix, and something else I don't recall off hand.), and Joker, funnily enough, crediting every company with characters involved in Smash except Atlus. So, it's a little up in the air whether an SNK character is or isn't coming.
According to Sabi's very credible sources, the SNK copyright is 99% percent legit.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
So, I wrote up a big dissertation of speculation regarding potential SNK characters and their pros and cons, as well as context for why the company is important to gaming for those not in the know, can I post that here? I know it's the Banjo thread, but there's not much to talk about with Banjo at the moment and the topic is fresh and organic as opposed to me just busting in with off topic nonsense. On one hand I know a lot of threads on Smahboards are cool taking a brief respite from their typically single topic to discuss other news for a page or page and a half, but then I apparently got another user an admonishment from a mod for observing this phenomena earlier in this thread. I wasn't sure if I should have just privately messaged a mod about this either. So, temporary SNK discussion while the iron is hot?

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Hey, for those disappointed in the potential fighter #4, if true it means we don't have to worry about a bombshell character in the next Direct distracting people from Banjo & Kazooie's release. :chuckle:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Hey, for those disappointed in the potential fighter #4, if true it means we don't have to worry about a bombshell character in the next Direct distracting people from Banjo & Kazooie's release. :chuckle:
It's less that and more that it's potentially a character I don know anything about/am neutral on, which on it's own would be a bit underwhelming. Hence why I'd need to see what their moveset is like.

Talazar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Talazar_Dashie
3DS FC
1461-6194-5821
The only SNK IP I'd care for is Metal Slug (don't know much about their other games) but it seems like that won't be the case. Oh well, I got :ultbanjokazooie: can't complain and I welcome whatever they throw at us.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
How many days before the video was Hero's ad put up? Because we're still not in Fall... and I kinda doubt they would be released earlier than planned.
The Hero ads were first discovered on July 24th and were kept up until August 4th, five days after Hero’s Presentation. Considering this, the Banjo ads should be up until September 12th, an 11 day timeframe similar to Hero.

Also, to be fair, Piranha Plant released on the last day of January, just before the month it was supposed to release.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Not gonna lie, I saw gameplay footage of Terry Bogard in the King of Fighters series and I'm actually super hopeful he'll be the SNK rep. I love his design and some of his moves look bad*** as ****! He's got some shockwave stomp or something that looks really cool and it'd be awesome having another fighting game representative alongside Ryu & Ken. Plus its nice hearing about a company that a lot of people don't seem to speculate much about for Smash. But Metal Slug would be pretty cool as a SNK rep too. Anything's fine with me after Banjo & Kazooie finally making it in, although I really hope the last fighter is a more cartoony rep. To have only Banjo & Kazooie be a cartoony mascot in a sea of human third party character DLCs would just make them seem out of place, especially after Sm4sh's newcomer DLC being mainly anime-styled human characters already.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
With all the excitement over a new Direct, someone had to put me in a bad mood and diss my boy Diddy and RARE, LOL! https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-direct-speculation-ot2-reset-the-thread.110533/page-243

Diddy might not be the hot commodity he was in the 90s, but to say he and RARE are not popular is laughably BS. And Diddy Kong Racing is already an established and beloved IP so the comparison to "Toad Kart" is completely off the mark. A sequel would do well.

Sorry, I had to vent somewhere. I would do it there, but I don't have an account.
Can I just say, **** ResetERA.
That is all. :ultpacman:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
>next DLC fighter is Ken but in Pokémon Trainer’s outfit
can’t believe Banjo is going to have to carry the whole Fighter’s Pass by himself in his backpack

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Not gonna lie, I saw gameplay footage of Terry Bogard in the King of Fighters series and I'm actually super hopeful he'll be the SNK rep. I love his design and some of his moves look bad*** as ****! He's got some shockwave stomp or something that looks really cool and it'd be awesome having another fighting game representative alongside Ryu & Ken. Plus its nice hearing about a company that a lot of people don't seem to speculate much about for Smash. But Metal Slug would be pretty cool as a SNK rep too. Anything's fine with me after Banjo & Kazooie finally making it in, although I really hope the last fighter is a more cartoony rep. To have only Banjo & Kazooie be a cartoony mascot in a sea of human third party character DLCs would just make them seem out of place, especially after Sm4sh's newcomer DLC being mainly anime-styled human characters already.
If Terry makes it in, his moveset better be where he shines. As it stands, we already have Ryu and Ken as fighting game reps, and Terry kind of just looks like a cross between the two to me, as if Ryu and Ken learned the Dragon Ball fusion dance or the fusions from Steven Universe. Plus KoF is very similar to Street Fighter in gameplay as well. He looks king of bland to me visually, but I'd be willing to get hype if he brought a unique gameplay style that differentiates him from all other characters and just oozes style. Honestly kind of ditto for Marco Rossi, a Metal Slug rep. I'm rooting for him but I worry he'd be too similar to Snake unless they nail the frantic run and gun playstyle of the Metal Slug games and just have him go buck wild with bullets, explosions, and robots.

*EDIT* King of bland was a mistype but it's too funny not to keep there given his series. Also nice burn PSIGuy PSIGuy . He does look like Ken in a Pokémon Trainer alt, and he's not even the character who was literally made as an unsubtle copy of Ryu/Ken (which SNK did, to which Capcom added Dan Hibiki to the Street Fighter series as a ridiculous parody of SNK clearly apeing Ryu and Ken to begin with. Somewhere there's an alternate time line where this arms race continued and SNK responded with a KoF character that was an even lamer, dumber version of Dan Hibiki.)

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Terry Bogard's moveset is very different than Ken/Ryu, I think he'd be super sick. There are also a bunch of KoF specific mechanics they could implement in his moveset. This level of scrutiny for characters representing a genre (not a series: a video game genre!) with only one regular/one echo character when we have like 9 Pokemon, 7 Emblem Characters and a partridge in a pear tree seems off to me.

Terry Bogard predates Pokemon by the way! 1991 vs 1996 (1998 in the US).

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
If you want to fight as an SNK character you could always play one of the literally dozens of SNK games that exist. You can't say the same about other genres in Smash. There's a level of novelty that playing a JRPG character in a game that isn't turn-based combat that a fighting game in Smash just doesn't offer.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Terry Bogard's moveset is very different than Ken/Ryu, I think he'd be super sick. There are also a bunch of KoF specific mechanics they could implement in his moveset. This level of scrutiny for characters representing a genre (not a series: a video game genre!) with only one regular/one echo character when we have like 9 Pokemon, 7 Emblem Characters and a partridge in a pear tree seems off to me.

Terry Bogard predates Pokemon by the way! 1991 vs 1996 (1998 in the US).
Predating Pokemon honestly isn't a big deal. When Smash 64 released, it was the newest franchise at the time I believe.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
If you want to fight as an SNK character you could always play one of the literally dozens of SNK games that exist. You can't say the same about other genres in Smash. There's a level of novelty that playing a JRPG character in a game that isn't turn-based combat that a fighting game in Smash just doesn't offer.
Granted, but I will play a slight devil's advocate for Strong Bad and consider that a drastically different fighting game could it turn bring a very different playstyle to Smash. Smash is about being faithful to the series a character comes from, and from looking up some KoF gameplay, it looks to be closer to a modern day anime fighter a la Blazblue than Street Fighter does. Assuming we had a crazy alternate reality where Smash Ultimate somehow had Street Fighter reps, a KoF rap, a Tekken rep, a Blazblue rep, and oh what else how about a Skullgirls rep, We could reasonably assume these would all be very unique and different characters from each other just based on how their games are very different from each other. So as I said, I agree terry kind of blends in with Ryu and Ken, but if the difference in moveset and playstyle is sufficiently striking, then I could learn to enjoy him.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
*Ad featuring Banjo & Kazooie in Smash narrows their release date to the next couple weeks*
Banjo & Kazooie page: argues over SNK leak.

wut

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Wouldn't it be great if Banjo & Kazooie released on the day the Nintendo direct comes out?

ze9

Smash Ace
Banjo possibly coming out in 2 weeks tops, Metal Slug possibly getting in Smash...
I think I'm going to explode.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
*Ad featuring Banjo & Kazooie in Smash narrows their release date to the next couple weeks*
Banjo & Kazooie page: argues over SNK leak.

wut
Well, as I said earlier, there isn't a lot of Banjo news to talk about atm. We're all certainly excited that they may be dropping very soon, but until we have their page up on the site, new gameplay, the character released for us to play, there just isn't much to talk about. Meanwhile some more interesting news just dropped that has everybody reasonably excited, or at least speculative. Whadaya want us to do? If no one else minds talking about SNK for a moment until Banjo news roles along, what's so wrong with that?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Well, as I said earlier, there isn't a lot of Banjo news to talk about atm. We're all certainly excited that they may be dropping very soon, but until we have their page up on the site, new gameplay, the character released for us to play, there just isn't much to talk about. Meanwhile some more interesting news just dropped that has everybody reasonably excited, or at least speculative. Whadaya want us to do? If no one else minds talking about SNK for a moment until Banjo news roles along, what's so wrong with that?
It was mostly a joke noting the irony, especially as there was more posts/excitement in the general thread than the Banjo-specific thread. Not genuinely dictating what people should or should not talk about. And contrary to what you're saying, I think there's a lot we could talk about when it comes to Banjo & Kazooie. What day, will they be mentioned in the main Direct, excitement over the ad in a 7-11 in Japan, etc. My hype for Banjo & Kazooie is not constrained by what's the latest, newest information.

But it was mostly a joke.

Last edited:
Top Bottom