• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
but they didn't make one for Diddy in the off chance he made it as a Fighter he'd get trophies anyway
It would be due to issues with Rare. Virtually every Melee fighter has a trophy that isn't in the Melee fighter style.

Gekkouga

Smash Cadet
Yeah, honestly i'm biased towards Tropical Freeze's OST, which is truly outstanding IMO. We only got Mangrove Cove aka the weakest of the bunch. I'm still pissed lol

Dinoman96

Smash Master
It would seem the tradeoff of Rare's Donkey Kong being so heavily celebrated in Ultimate is the almost complete dearth of content based on Retro's take of the series.

dkcomparison.png

this is what this image was originally based on btw

Yeah. Obviously there's not much to work with in terms of playable characters, but they still could of done more with assist trophies, stages, spirits and especially music tracks to give Retro's DKC games their due. It really blows we lost Jungle Hijinxs from Smash 4, especially for the sake of a game feature nobody even uses.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
... Can I just say that it sounds really weird when people refer to the current era of DK as "Retro DK"?

I mean... of course I understand what you're saying, but... dang, did they have to pick that name?

But yeah, I agree. Most of all, I wish not all DK stages were jungle-based. I mean, with all the mine, factory and even ice levels we have in every game... it's a shame we never see those biomes, kinda like with Metroid and lava stages.

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
It would seem the tradeoff of Rare's Donkey Kong being so heavily celebrated in Ultimate is the almost complete dearth of content based on Retro's take of the series.

View attachment 236133

this is what this image was originally based on btw

Yeah. Obviously there's not much to work with in terms of playable characters, but they still could of done more with assist trophies, stages, spirits and especially music tracks to give Retro's DKC games their due. It really blows we lost Jungle Hijinxs from Smash 4, especially for the sake of a game feature nobody even uses.
All good points, but I play with Stage Morph more than without, and I know a lot of casual players like the exciting layout change. Jungle Hijinks could have still been included and just been disabled if it was such an issue. But Sakurai really had a goal of "all stages must be 8 player" and "all stages must morph". I feel like the amount of fun Stage Morph adds is > the few stages sacrificed for it, especially in a sea of 100+ stages already. Sucks one had to be Donkey Kong. But the Smash Team really gets stuck in ruts for certain franchises, Kirby and DK both pay homage almost entirely to the old games.

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
... Can I just say that it sounds really weird when people refer to the current era of DK as "Retro DK"?

I mean... of course I understand what you're saying, but... dang, did they have to pick that name?
Haha, yeah, I was reading down the list and throught "No Retro DK stages? But 75M is... Oooooohh"

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
They definitely made an effort for the DK music selection in Ultimate.

Got another banging remix of Gangplank Galleon and some interesting deep cuts like Crocodile Cacophony, Snakey Chantey, and Simian Segue/Bonus Room Blitz, the latter of which technically existed as a weird SNES rip in Brawl...which Ultimate has more of with Funky's Fugue and Ice Cave Chant.
Disagree tbh. Tropical Freeze is one of the best OSTs out there, and they chose a 25thh remix of jungle japes instead of some amazing tracks

TF also has the best level design EVER in a 2D platformer. Naturally, Sakurai chose... another jungle stage for DKC Returns.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
Classic DKC is now decently represented (we're really missing some non-jungle stage though, where is Bramble Blast??), but modern DKC really got the shaft. They should just add Dixie, a Grassland Groove stage, and a rip of Tropical Freeze's whole OST.

Anyways, looks like there will be a Direct next week. Maybe we'll get to know Banjo's release date soon?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Anyways, looks like there will be a Direct next week. Maybe we'll get to know Banjo's release date soon?
I kinda doubt it... if it's anything like the other reveals, we're probably getting just a "reminder" a la Joker.

Either way, it's not like we have much left to go. The general consensus, because of the amiibo dates, is that we're getting them late September at the earliest and early to mid October at the latest.

It's not long now, guys...

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I disagree when it comes to stage morph. Obviously not that people use it--some certainly do. The question is does it add anything new to the experience to justify missing stages. There, I'm conflicted. On the one hand, no, it doesn't, it's just adding some aesthetic variety to a single match, in a way that's disruptive to those not used to it.

On the other hand, the stages that were probably not included because of the stage morph feature were stages I'm not personally concerned about. I think for some stages, like Pac-Maze, it was more to do with their 3DS-specific gimmick. I would have much preferred losing that gimmick if that meant keeping that iconic stage aesthetic. The other reasons is just resources--they had a certain amount of stages they could bring back given the budget/time they allotted, and it's just a matter of wishing some stages were prioritized over some that were included.

Lastly, the biggest problem with the stage list, to me, was not what returning stages made it, but having too much representation of old versus new stages. Only having 4 new base game stages--sucks. It doesn't matter if it took a lot of effort to enhance the older stages--what matters is how the final product feels playing it, and it feels like.. playing the same stages, without being able to compare them side by side. DLC stages alleviates that, but only if you count the Fighter's Pass as part of the whole game. Otherwise I would have preferred the typical number of stages we usually had if that meant having more new stages to make it feel like a new game, as advertised. Had they advertised it as a "Greatest Hits", rather than a "new game", then I'd be less concerned about that. Because a lot of the stages are still new to me, as I hadn't played Melee. Framing is important.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Classic DKC is now decently represented (we're really missing some non-jungle stage though, where is Bramble Blast??), but modern DKC really got the shaft. They should just add Dixie, a Grassland Groove stage, and a rip of Tropical Freeze's whole OST.

What’s making you think next week?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

But yeah, I agree. Most of all, I wish not all DK stages were jungle-based. I mean, with all the mine, factory and even ice levels we have in every game... it's a shame we never see those biomes, kinda like with Metroid and lava stages.
Haha, yeah, I was reading down the list and throught "No Retro DK stages? But 75M is... Oooooohh"
Not nearly as weird as Crash and Spyro apparently being seen as Retro by Beenox when they're active right now. Words, do they even mean anything? :upsidedown:

In any case, DKC gets hit with the "Smash team loves first stages" syndrome that afflicts most of the series included. At least :ulticeclimbers: only ever had one biome.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I disagree when it comes to stage morph. Obviously not that people use it--some certainly do. The question is does it add anything new to the experience to justify missing stages. There, I'm conflicted. On the one hand, no, it doesn't, it's just adding some aesthetic variety to a single match, in a way that's disruptive to those not used to it.

On the other hand, the stages that were probably not included because of the stage morph feature were stages I'm not personally concerned about. I think for some stages, like Pac-Maze, it was more to do with their 3DS-specific gimmick. I would have much preferred losing that gimmick if that meant keeping that iconic stage aesthetic. The other reasons is just resources--they had a certain amount of stages they could bring back given the budget/time they allotted, and it's just a matter of wishing some stages were prioritized over some that were included.

Lastly, the biggest problem with the stage list, to me, was not what returning stages made it, but having too much representation of old versus new stages. Only having 4 new base game stages--sucks. It doesn't matter if it took a lot of effort to enhance the older stages--what matters is how the final product feels playing it, and it feels like.. playing the same stages, without being able to compare them side by side. DLC stages alleviates that, but only if you count the Fighter's Pass as part of the whole game. Otherwise I would have preferred the typical number of stages we usually had if that meant having more new stages to make it feel like a new game, as advertised. Had they advertised it as a "Greatest Hits", rather than a "new game", then I'd be less concerned about that. Because a lot of the stages are still new to me, as I hadn't played Melee. Framing is important.
Honestly, its this that I sincerely hope if they plan on going forward with a future installment whenever a next gen Nintendo console comes out, it'll be a Ultimate Deluxe (?) version of this game with a focus on new content. The way they went with this game bringing back every veteran and almost every stage was a great start, but I agree with you that its a bummer having so few new stages, even with so many returning ones. A lot of the ones returning too made no sense to me. Like Hanenbow, which was already a strange choice for a stage and one I hated playing in Brawl and hate playing here. I truly appreciate all the content they brought back, but I want that pushed further in future installments. Bring back more modes, options, stages, even items and Poke Ball Pokemon and Assist Trophies from past installments! I miss stuff like the Fan, the Parasol, the Red Shells, and the Cracker Launcher, Pokemon like Venusaur, Hitmonlee, Beedrill/Unown, Koffing/Weezing, Wobbuffet, Raikou, and Ho-Oh, and Assists like the Excitebikes, Lakitu and Spinies, Kat and Ana, Infantry and Tanks, Magnus, Mr. Resetti, and even Tingle! And like I've said in the past, I want the alternate skin options for Battlefield and Final Destination from 64, Melee, Brawl, 3DS, and Wii U. I mainly say this because I want to experience just about everything from past installments of Smash that Banjo & Kazooie missed out on! Imagine having a sequel to Subspace Emissary that combines traits of it, Smash Run, and World of Light where you encounter all sorts of enemies and bosses from throughout video game history and seeing Banjo & Kazooie officially team up with all the biggest icons! I'd love to see King K. Rool, Dr. Robotnik, Dr. Wily, M. Bison, Sephiroth (although Square Enix might not allow it smh), the Dragonlord from Dragon Quest, and Gruntilda officially join the newly reformed Subspace Army and have our heroes join up and deal with them in the future. I'd also love to see the old Adventure Mode from Melee brought back somehow with new platforming levels from different game franchises.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On the bright side, most of the old content having been brought here is a perfect future-proof plan, since that'll make it all the easier to port in the future, should the need arise. Except concerning whether Square are still being butts with FF7 stuff, anyway.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
What’s making you think next week?
Recent Fall Directs have been the first or second week of September. Add to that the accidental leak of Overwatch coming to Switch with the Switch case, which likely means it's coming out soon and would be revealed in a Direct, and insiders saying soon, everything seems to be pointing to next week. I, however, do not expect Banjo & Kazooie's date. I expect either a small tease like Joker's in the Spring Direct, or a reveal of Fighter 4 with Banjo & Kazooie's page becoming available. We're still probably a month and a half from Banjo & Kazooie's release, given the timing between Hero and when Fighter #4 would have to be if all characters are released by the announced date of Feb 2020.

Honestly, its this that I sincerely hope if they plan on going forward with a future installment whenever a next gen Nintendo console comes out, it'll be a Ultimate Deluxe (?) version of this game with a focus on new content. The way they went with this game bringing back every veteran and almost every stage was a great start, but I agree with you that its a bummer having so few new stages, even with so many returning ones. A lot of the ones returning too made no sense to me. Like Hanenbow, which was already a strange choice for a stage and one I hated playing in Brawl and hate playing here. I truly appreciate all the content they brought back, but I want that pushed further in future installments. Bring back more modes, options, stages, even items and Poke Ball Pokemon and Assist Trophies from past installments! I miss stuff like the Fan, the Parasol, the Red Shells, and the Cracker Launcher, Pokemon like Venusaur, Hitmonlee, Beedrill/Unown, Koffing/Weezing, Wobbuffet, Raikou, and Ho-Oh, and Assists like the Excitebikes, Lakitu and Spinies, Kat and Ana, Infantry and Tanks, Magnus, Mr. Resetti, and even Tingle! And like I've said in the past, I want the alternate skin options for Battlefield and Final Destination from 64, Melee, Brawl, 3DS, and Wii U. I mainly say this because I want to experience just about everything from past installments of Smash that Banjo & Kazooie missed out on! Imagine having a sequel to Subspace Emissary that combines traits of it, Smash Run, and World of Light where you encounter all sorts of enemies and bosses from throughout video game history and seeing Banjo & Kazooie officially team up with all the biggest icons! I'd love to see King K. Rool, Dr. Robotnik, Dr. Wily, M. Bison, Sephiroth (although Square Enix might not allow it smh), the Dragonlord from Dragon Quest, and Gruntilda officially join the newly reformed Subspace Army and have our heroes join up and deal with them in the future. I'd also love to see the old Adventure Mode from Melee brought back somehow with new platforming levels from different game franchises.
While I would definitely want them to expand Ultimate, an Ultimate Deluxe would be great--it would still, legally, count as a new game, so they would likely have to renegotiate with the third parties involved, and that was already difficult trying to get everyone back for Ultimate (*cough* Cloud *cough*). And given Sakurai mentioned Ultimate's "Everyone is Here" would likely be the last time that happens, I expect if they do a new game they will retool all the characters and, as a result, have fewer characters in the base game, likely 30-40. Which I don't want, and can't see how they could change it up enough for me to leave Ultimate for a new game, so I would much rather they continue seasons of Fighter Passes for as long as possible. The only other way I could see buying a sequel with a cut roster is if all of the mascot third party characters (e.g., Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Banjo & Kazooie) return along with most of the significant first party characters/franchises.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I like that Sakurai is going hands-on with Banjo-Kazooie.

I mean, it’s Sakurai and B-K together, him showing off their moves and stuff.

A Joker-style presentation would be nice too, though, and wouldn’t make Sakurai have hand pains...

BZocky

Smash Ace
Why in the world do they have a budget for videos, albeit anything, in Smash? It’s like the 3rd or 2nd best selling Switch title at 15 million sales and yet they can’t afford another high quality video presentation? You’d think Nintendo would step in to help or something.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
The title is misleading--from what I remember of the interview, and what's said in the article, he was talking about Hero's presentation--and I still think, while it's partially true, it was mainly a joke. It's probably less about money, and more about time--in order to get the characters done on time he needs to devote more time to the characters than the marketing. And I am perfectly fine with that.

...so Joker is the only one to get a fancy presentation? Seriously?
For Banjo & Kazooie's presentation--generic Nintendo Treehouse dude talking over Treehouse footage of the characters, or Sakurai playing the game and going off script. I know which one I'm choosing. This is a case where the lower budget option is way better than the higher budget one.

ze9

Smash Ace
...so Joker is the only one to get a fancy presentation? Seriously?
Eh, I don't really care. Hero's presentation was much more fun than Joker's to me. And also, the CGI trailers are way more fun than the presentations.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Maybe you guys need to rewatch the Joker reveal presentation because it had a lot going for it.
Joker's trailer had his actual party members talking about his moves, stage and unique elements and his move introductions also had Persona 5 style text pop-ins. Something similar for BK - with classic mumbling and speech bubbles - would be really charming and it would let them cram in even more references. You could have Gruntilda rhyming for the entire stage section of the presentation.

For Banjo & Kazooie's presentation--generic Nintendo Treehouse dude talking over Treehouse footage of the characters, or Sakurai playing the game and going off script
I mean, you clearly haven't watched the Joker presentation in ages if you don't remember who actually spoke over Joker's moves.

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
Holy **** it's shellshocker18 shellshocker18 . Hey man remember me? I was that guy that use to talk about the Goemon games all the time on the N64 Sub-Reddit.
Yea I remember you lol. I don't post there often but I remember you because you remind me a lot of myself when I was younger and your screen name is very similar to one I used in middleschool "Retrogamer2608." I think a lot of young kids discovering older ganes via internet liked calling themselves Retro Gamers it seems. I also used to post here on the Banjo-Kazooie support thread a lot until they were confirmed then I had no reason to come as often. I usually hang out in private chats with my own N64 group of friends now so I don't use many public forums, but I do hang out around the N64forever.com forums, the everdrive 64 forums, and 64homebrew discords sometimes. Sometimes I see random Banjo-Kazooie or N64 fans pop up in multiple places

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yea I remember you lol. I don't post there often but I remember you because you remind me a lot of myself when I was younger and your screen name is very similar to one I used in middleschool "Retrogamer2608." I think a lot of young kids discovering older ganes via internet liked calling themselves Retro Gamers it seems. I also used to post here on the Banjo-Kazooie support thread a lot until they were confirmed then I had no reason to come as often. I usually hang out in private chats with my own N64 group of friends now so I don't use many public forums, but I do hang out around the N64forever.com forums, the everdrive 64 forums, and 64homebrew discords sometimes. Sometimes I see random Banjo-Kazooie or N64 fans pop up in multiple places
But I kind of grew up with the N64 during the early 2000s along with the Gamecube. But anyways, it's nice to see you again man.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Maybe you guys need to rewatch the Joker reveal presentation because it had a lot going for it.
Joker's trailer had his actual party members talking about his moves, stage and unique elements and his move introductions also had Persona 5 style text pop-ins. Something similar for BK - with classic mumbling and speech bubbles - would be really charming and it would let them cram in even more references. You could have Gruntilda rhyming for the entire stage section of the presentation.

I mean, you clearly haven't watched the Joker presentation in ages if you don't remember who actually spoke over Joker's moves.
I know the VO actors talked at the beginning--but that fits Joker, and wasn't what I was referring to. Whereas for Banjo & Kazooie, I cannot possibly see a "polished" presentation being preferable over Sakurai playing Banjo & Kazooie himself. I'd really love that, but I suspect it was a one-time thing for Hero. Hoping for it, though.

EDIT: Also, it's funny, because I watched his presentation 4 days ago.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
I hate the voice that did Joker's overview. It's not the usual voice that dubs Sakurai. Always sounds like he's trying to sell you something. Sakurai is... well ok, technically he's selling you stuff too, but not in that way, he's just giving you an overview of his work (and his team's). Sakurai's usual dub is much more sober.
But anyways, the ideal Banjo & Kazooie presentation consists in a little head of Sakurai that opens and closes his mouth in a corner of the stream while soundbites of his voice are randomly generated and a white text explains what's happening on screen.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
When you think about it, it's a miracle that we even got more CGI trailers. After Incineroar and PP's reveals, people went "welp, that's it, it was fun while it lasted, time for ho-hum gameplay montages and :ultmewtwo:-esque CGI model reveals for the next guys" based on the "precedent" that 4's DLC reveals have supposedly set forth.

The trailers may not seem like much, but they involve lots of detailed graphics and models, and there needs adequate preparation time for presentations. The application of budget from sales (and not pre-release planning) probably won't be felt until we know if they plan on further DLC after the pass.

And for the record...I did half-jokingly suggest that the next presentation would be done with plush dolls. :p

Also, this guy's a trooper, as always:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
When you think about it, it's a miracle that we even got more CGI trailers. After Incineroar and PP's reveals, people went "welp, that's it, it was fun while it lasted, time for ho-hum gameplay montages and models for the next guys" based on the "precedent" that 4's DLC reveals have supposedly set forth.

The trailers may not seem like much, but they involve lots of detailed graphics and models, and there needs adequate preparation time for presentations.

And for the record...I did half-jokingly suggest that the next presentation would be done with plush dolls. :p

Which is worse:
A) "I'll draw ALL Banjo characters!"
or
B) "I'll 100% DK64!"

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
C) “I’ll 100% DK64 while drawing ALL Banjo characters!”
"DK64 100% Walkthrough, but everytime I get a major collectible, I have to stop and draw a Banjo-Kazooie character."

The latter is at least doable with practice, free time and/or a guide. Good luck doing the former if you have lousy drawing skills.
I mean... I haven't tried building speed for 12 hours so my mouse can clip through Adobe Illustrator yet. Who's to say it's not possible?

Gekkouga

Smash Cadet
I hate the voice that did Joker's overview. It's not the usual voice that dubs Sakurai. Always sounds like he's trying to sell you something. Sakurai is... well ok, technically he's selling you stuff too, but not in that way, he's just giving you an overview of his work (and his team's). Sakurai's usual dub is much more sober.
But anyways, the ideal Banjo & Kazooie presentation consists in a little head of Sakurai that opens and closes his mouth in a corner of the stream while soundbites of his voice are randomly generated and a white text explains what's happening on screen.
That'd be ****ing amazing and expected from Sakurai tbh

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Can't wait to see my bois Gobi and Mr. Patch in this artstyle. And Loggo lmfao

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
While a secondary Banjo & Kazooie rep probably isn't on your minds right now, who would you want to see get in next? I would love to see Gruntilda get in down the line.

Top Bottom