• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Erdrick upsets me immensely from a visual standpoint and DQ puts me to sleep. Other than that, I'd be decently ok with this list. I LOVE Leon and Jill so that might make up for fashion disaster Goku. Tales always caught my eye, and dual swords is cool.

oh and banjo

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I'm so interested in Banjo and Kazooie that on the off chance that this is legit, I don't regret buying the Fighter Pass. Joker and Banjo? That's worth the price of admission to me. The other three... eh, I don't even know who Lloyd Irving is, except that he's from Tales of Symphonia and I only know that because of the Mii Swordfighter costume from Smash 4. Erdrick is okay. Leon is... okay too, I guess.

I see that some of you are iffy about the version update and think it might've sunk the leak already, but do remember that OG Sal Romano said we were getting Shulk when we got Robin and Lucina, but then later we actually did get Shulk, and this looks like a similar situation to me.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I feel like getting Dragon Quest, Resident Evil, Banjo Kazooie, Tales, and Persona into your game should be a lot bigger of a deal than people are making it out to be regardless of personal preference for characters. Dragon Quest and Resident Evil are undoubtedly the biggest Japanese franchises not currently represented in Smash, and Tales has been an obvious candidate for years with Lloyd Irving actually being a long time request in of himself. Naturally, Banjo Kazooie is also one of the biggest requests in the community as well. Persona and Joker would actually be the least large of these, which is wild when you're talking about a game with the caliber of Persona 5. Again, not saying I necessarily believe this is our definitive line-up, but I'd find it really hard to find fault with the line-up and choices. They totally read like a sensible list of Nintendo picks that Sakurai would be decently happy in realizing for Ultimate. I mean the only major Japanese IPs missing from the game would be Tekken, Ninja Gaiden, Tomb Raider, and Kingdom Hearts really. Maybe Dark Souls, but that's a much more recent entry into the grand scheme of the major Japanese third party IPs. Not that I believe this one at all, it's a 4Chan leak after all that's the definition of unsubstantiated and problematic.

Also, can we back off on the swordsmen criticisms when we don't even know how they would play and what they would bring to the table? I get there's a contingent of people tired of swords and human characters, but it's just the most worn out and played out argument ever. Joker isn't a swordsman, he wields a knife and plays quite differently from any of the swordsman despite having a couple of blade focused attacks. Lloyd is likely to play extremely differently if we get him because of his moveset potential from Tales of Symphonia and dual wielding blades. And finally people have pointed out numerous times how a Dragon Quest character can pull from all sorts of stuff to be unique, and Erdrick certainly has a wide open range of options to choose from in Dragon Quest 3 and the rest of the series depending on how unique you want him to be. Save the judgments for when everything is said and done and we've actually seen how characters play.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Also, can we back off on the swordsmen criticisms when we don't even know how they would play and what they would bring to the table? I get there's a contingent of people tired of swords and human characters, but it's just the most worn out and played out argument ever. Joker isn't a swordsman, he wields a knife and plays quite differently from any of the swordsman despite having a couple of blade focused attacks. Lloyd is likely to play extremely differently if we get him because of his moveset potential from Tales of Symphonia and dual wielding blades. And finally people have pointed out numerous times how a Dragon Quest character can pull from all sorts of stuff to be unique, and Erdrick certainly has a wide open range of options to choose from in Dragon Quest 3 and the rest of the series depending on how unique you want him to be. Save the judgments for when everything is said and done and we've actually seen how characters play.
I mean it's just our opinions on the character in general from what we know about them. We're free to share our opinions here. I don't think just saying "I'm not a big fan of this character, their design, etc." is that offensive.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Im so sick of little caped swordsmen in Smash. Its a celebration of game/character design, add some variety

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Banjo & Kazooie - What needs to be said, Yes to the Stars!!!

Leon Kennedy/Jill Valentine: Hell Yes, Love Resident Evil from the Beginning.

Erdrick: No surprise and not my pick but if it means to get 2 Favorites (Above) than fine whatever.

Lloyd Irving: Honestly the weakest one amongst the Fighter’s Pass DLC and a Hype killer. Heihachi Mishima is a way more Fun and Hype than Lloyd Irving could ever be.

Do I believe this, only the First 3 above but since this is a 4chan leak, Hell No. Banjo-Kazooie, Dragon Quest & Resident Evil are Easily Realistic but coming from a 4chan post, Check me out of this theory.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I mean it's just our opinions on the character in general from what we know about them. We're free to share our opinions here. I don't think just saying "I'm not a big fan of this character, their design, etc." is that offensive.
It's not offensive, it's just usually pretty shallow reasoning as to why people don't like the "sword fighters" or "anime fighters" that has always felt off and based on assumptions about characters before they've even been unveiled when people have at numerous points designed entirely unique movesets for all of them that would make them play differently from other existing sword wielders. I'm trying to heavily push back against the anti-sword narrative because it doesn't actually work all that well since the sword wielders already in the game all play entirely different from one another that aren't based off of one another, many of which bringing some of the most unique elements in the game like Shulk's ability to change statuses and Marth's tipper mechanics.

I've been over this way too many times in this thread, but it's probably my least favorite argument I've seen in Smash speculation. I dislike it more than relevancy arguments and "appropriate"/"equal"/whatever representation of specific series, and I greatly dislike both of those. And Joker just isn't another sword fighter no matter what people try to say.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
The biggest reason I'm doubting this leak is that it conflicts with the Google theory, which I think is A) more believable; and B) a little bit better because it has Ryu Hayabusa, and you gotta love those NES classics. Otherwise, I'm happy to accept it as true until proven otherwise, simply because it's more fun to believe than to doubt. That's right: I'm going full Life of Pi on this thing.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Here's PapaGenos' video on the "VR Plant Leaker", which speculated about Erdrick and Banjo being revealed at E3. He briefly talks about Verge backpedelling on Steve.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Again, Erdrick at E3 is just dumb. Its a disservice to his actual majority fanbase who won't even be able to watch the event live as it will be 2AM in Japan.

So it will be yawns all around: from the East due to lack of sleep and from the West due to lack of interest.

And then to have a Banjo reveal after that with Microsoft there to help hype it? Might as well have Erdrick's reveal trailer be a crayon scrawled half piece paper crudely announcing him while misspelling his name if want to ruin his hype. Erdrick will have so many things stacked against him, almost as bad as Corrin's reveal (one of the last characters, yet another FE, his game not being released internationally yet, the only 1st party newcomer and following CLOUD of all people? Its like Nintendo wanted Corrin to fall flat on his face).

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
It's not offensive, it's just usually pretty shallow reasoning as to why people don't like the "sword fighters" or "anime fighters" that has always felt off and based on assumptions about characters before they've even been unveiled when people have at numerous points designed entirely unique movesets for all of them that would make them play differently from other existing sword wielders. I'm trying to heavily push back against the anti-sword narrative because it doesn't actually work all that well since the sword wielders already in the game all play entirely different from one another that aren't based off of one another, many of which bringing some of the most unique elements in the game like Shulk's ability to change statuses and Marth's tipper mechanics.

I've been over this way too many times in this thread, but it's probably my least favorite argument I've seen in Smash speculation. I dislike it more than relevancy arguments and "appropriate"/"equal"/whatever representation of specific series, and I greatly dislike both of those. And Joker just isn't another sword fighter no matter what people try to say.
I mean you can see it as some sort of narrative, but at the end of the day it's just people's preferences and in a game that already has a lot of sword users it shouldn't be that surprising that people would prefer more diversity if only from an aesthetic perspective.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Here's PapaGenos' video on the "VR Plant Leaker", which speculated about Erdrick and Banjo being revealed at E3. He briefly talks about Verge backpedelling on Steve.

firepiranhaplantleakerDISCORDinfo.jpg
Thanks for plugging the video!

Here is the info the person gave me DAYS ago if anyones interested, Fire Piranha Plant came true and thats when I posted it all publicly on my discord this morning. A few hours later Smash VR in 3.1.0 came true and then Northgard on Switch came true so I'm inclined to believe this person is legit.

They said if they heard anything else they'd tell me so...time to play the waiting game.

Also the Erdrick/Banjo/Resident Evil/Lloyd lineup is like perfect for me (besides erdrick over geno) and what I've been guessing at for a while when people ask what I think the full DLC will look like, so I would love for that lineup to come true.

ChaosAngelZone

Smash Cadet
I would be satisfied with that list, personally. Banjo & Kazooie alone would make it great and would make me extremely happy. I don't care at all about Dragon Quest, so Erdrick would be a "whatever" character for me, but I understand that Dragon Quest is huge in Japan, so it would make other people happy. I'm not too into Resident Evil, but having Leon in Smash would be pretty cool and definitely add some variety. I have fond memories of playing Tales of Symphonia on Gamecube, so having Lloyd in would be neat to me, although I wouldn't be too incredibly excited. So yeah, overall a pretty good list I'd say.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
How do you even verify you made a post on 4chan like that? How can you claim that you leaked Daisy and Ridley on 4chan?

dlewis53

Smash Lord

THANK YOU! My thoughts exactly!

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
If rath
View attachment 225199 Thanks for plugging the video!

Here is the info the person gave me DAYS ago if anyones interested, Fire Piranha Plant came true and thats when I posted it all publicly on my discord this morning. A few hours later Smash VR in 3.1.0 came true and then Northgard on Switch came true so I'm inclined to believe this person is legit.

They said if they heard anything else they'd tell me so...time to play the waiting game.

Also the Erdrick/Banjo/Resident Evil/Lloyd lineup is like perfect for me (besides erdrick over geno) and what I've been guessing at for a while when people ask what I think the full DLC will look like, so I would love for that lineup to come true.
I’d prefer Heihachi over Lloyd since Lloyd is way to similar to every sword wielder in the Game, especially since Erdrick is Going to be Representing the sword fighter category of the Fighter Pass while Heihachi would be more of the Intense Brawler and diverse the cast with a Old Grizzled Fighter

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
How do you even verify you made a post on 4chan like that? How can you claim that you leaked Daisy and Ridley on 4chan?
There is no way to verify it really. However, they did correctly predict VR in 3.1.0 so they have in fact leaked something correctly for Smash. Fire Piranha Plant is a DLC Nintendo character so they knew a character getting into a Nintendo game early for sure as well.

Whether or not they actually knew Daisy and Ridley before E3 last year...no idea, but they have a current track record thats proven they can leak stuff.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The biggest reason I'm doubting this leak is that it conflicts with the Google theory, which I think is A) more believable; and B) a little bit better because it has Ryu Hayabusa, and you gotta love those NES classics. Otherwise, I'm happy to accept it as true until proven otherwise, simply because it's more fun to believe than to doubt. That's right: I'm going full Life of Pi on this thing.
Dragon Quest is also a NES Classic, so we just trade Ryu for Erdrick and preserve the same number of NES classic reps.

Again, Erdrick at E3 is just dumb. Its a disservice to his actual majority fanbase who won't even be able to watch the event live as it will be 2AM in Japan.

So it will be yawns all around: from the East due to lack of sleep and from the West due to lack of interest.

And then to have a Banjo reveal after that with Microsoft there to help hype it? Might as well have Erdrick's reveal trailer be a crayon scrawled half piece paper crudely announcing him while misspelling his name if want to ruin his hype. Erdrick will have so many things stacked against him, almost as bad as Corrin's reveal (one of the last characters, yet another FE, his game not being released internationally yet, the only 1st party newcomer and following CLOUD of all people? Its like Nintendo wanted Corrin to fall flat on his face).
If the number of people constantly still complaining about Corrin is anything to go off of, Erdrick certainly will not be forgotten. I'd also like to remind people that while Dragon Quest isn't as popular in the West, it's still a popular and successful franchise in the West. There's a huge void between being mega popular in Japan and not being popular in the States, and Dragon Quest definitely falls closer to the middle of the road than the endpoint of not releasing/not ever selling. It's never taken off in comparison to Japan because that comparison is absurdly hard to reach for any franchise. Erdrick really only has things stacked against him in regards to the Smash community's dislike of him. He may not be the show stopper some people desperately want, but he's still a more than reasonable choice for E3 when you consider how much else Nintendo will be showing off at the event anyway and how notable of a franchise Dragon Quest is. And I don't think any of the target audience really gives a damn about when the reveal is shown off.

Like if Banjo Kazooie was dropped in a random trailer at 3:00 AM on a Sunday night, would anyone here actually care? Or would they just be incredibly excited because the end goal of Banjo in Smash was achieved? I guarantee it would be much more the latter. The end goal is the critical element, the announcement is just the mechanism by which the goal is revealed to the public.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
View attachment 225199 Thanks for plugging the video!

No problem. I always enjoy your content and I figured the people here would appreciate this one.

I was just about to ask you what you thought about the 4Chan leak!

Honestly, I'd be fine with that lineup myself with the exception of Erdrick. He's one of the few characters I don't want. Geno, Sora, and even Slime would personally more interesting characters for a Square rep. The other characters are good, if not a little vanilla, as long as we get Banjo out of it!

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Banjo being released right after the Direct would make me Go absolutely Ape ****

Erdrick I can see happening since Japan is Crazy for Dragon Quest, I like DQ too, but Erdrick looks boring.

Leon: Not too big a fan, but would be completely fine with him, RE is a good series.

Lloyd: No Connection in the slightest, but I've got a friend that would also go Ape **** for him

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Those are the only Rayman games I've played and yes, they are fantastic. Rayman would be a fun addition to Smash but I worry he's not high-profile enough. Yes, he's allegedly Ubisoft's mascot, but how often do they actually take him out of mothballs? When I hear Ubisoft, I think Assassin's Creed first and Rayman second.
Nah Rayman is their Megaman and the masses prefer him, where there's hardly anyone asking for Assassin's Creed in smash. Ubisoft has also wanted him in, so he'd definitely be the front runner for a Ubisoft rep.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
B) a little bit better because it has Ryu Hayabusa, and you gotta love those NES classics.
Actually, I'm quite over Nintendo peddling NES nostalgia. I like Ninja Gaiden and wouldn't mind Ryu in the slightest but for the love of god, I wish Nintendo would remember they did more than NES and occasionally the SNES.

As for the new characters: Banjo is the only one I'd truly care for. No love for Resident Evil as I'm a pure coward and don't play horror. Erdrick is boring and Sora is the only Square character I'd even remotely want to see join Smash, and worse Verge is going to be insufferable about his inclusion. Well, more than he normally is. And I love the Tales of series and while Symphonia is great, I have way more attachment to Abyss and Vesperia so he's just "that's neat" character.

Last edited:

KingMinjo91

Smash Apprentice
Meh... I honestly prefer the GOOGLE team. Banjo&Kazooie are top priority, so Id be fine with either list regardless. Leon would be great, always wanted a Resident Evil character. Lloyd... naw. Just my opinion, but Velvet Crowe would be much more interesting if we were getting a "Tales rep"

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
At the end of the day as long as Banjo-Kazooie gets in that's all that matters to me seeing how the base roster already pretty much has got me covered mostly.

Sure I would like a Pokemon 8th Generation rep, Crash Bandicoot or another Rareware rep, But that's just frosting on the cake, I'm not begging on my knees for them like Banjo-Kazooie.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Are we all under the belief that Chief is deconfirmed? seems like MCC on Switch and Gamepass/Xbox Live on switch would be a great tie-in to his smash inclusion....

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I kinda doubt you'd get Lloyd, Erdrick and Joker in one pass.

And I doubt further that Sal Romano of Gematsu would refer to himself as an "infamous mastermind", nor that he'd post on 4chan where nobody can verify it's even him.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Also this is late af but i saw yall were talking about DKC yesterday. I just got Tropical Freeze and it may be the best 2d platformer of all time. Give me a dixie kong echo for smaaaash

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Tropical Freeze is honestly a masterpiece and I'm still kinda mad at the "Should've been Metroid!" crowd for crapping all over it when it was announced.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Tropical Freeze is honestly a masterpiece and I'm still kinda mad at the "Should've been Metroid!" crowd for crapping all over it when it was announced.
I blame alot of it on New Super Mario Bros. That whole brand and style of game is a cash grab, so i think ppl assumed DKC was trying to get that type of money as well. Fortunately, theres actual heart and soul put into the level design of Tropical Freeze

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Erdrick would pretty much just be Link with Ness' PSI abilities and that is probably what Sakurai will do. I'll practice my best golf clap for Erdrick if he gets in.

Anyway I'd rather have the Google theory be real because it has Doom Guy in it and he is my third most wanted character behind Crono who is second and Banjo Kazooie who are first.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Miyazaki deserves a Souls rep in Smash. Souls is a staple in modern gaming now

Substitute

Smash Apprentice
Would rather have Jill over Leon but I wouldn't mind that list.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Doomguy not getting in would be a damn shame. A Doomguy/Banjo double reveal at E3 would be spectacular.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
As long as we get Banjo I don't care who else gets in

I feel like I'm the one person who doesn't understand the hype for Leon and Jill. Not that I don't think Resident Evil isn't worthy that is, it's more due to the fact that we already have a gun-heavy realistic human; Snake. I'd pick Wesker myself; get more villains on the roster.

The only other character centered around guns that I think would be unique enough to stand out is Doomslayer or Chief.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
As long as we get Banjo I don't care who else gets in

I feel like I'm the one person who doesn't understand the hype for Leon and Jill. Not that I don't think Resident Evil isn't worthy that is, it's more due to the fact that we already have a gun-heavy realistic human; Snake. I'd pick Wesker myself; get more villains on the roster.

The only other character centered around guns that I think would be unique enough to stand out is Doomslayer or Chief.
I think RE is one of those things people want mostly to have something as big as RE represented in the game. There's not really a huge difference in Jill/Leon/Chris, people just gravitate to the protag from their favorite RE game (Leon in my case).

ZelDan

Smash Master
THANK YOU! My thoughts exactly!
As someone whose supported the likes of Isaac and Elma, the swordsman complaint is also one of my least favorites and one I find ridiculous. Especially considering that we have, what, around 15 of them in Smash I think? which is out of a 75+ character roster.

that's over 60 character that don't wield a sword. I think people that don't care to use sword users are kinda covered...

Anyways, hopefully we get some cool stuff from Microsoft from E3, and hopefully see the friendship between Nintendo and MS grow. getting something like Rare Replay on a portable we be pretty dope. It'd also be nice to see a either Master Chief or Banjo get into Smash. Chief because the internet would lose it's **** and I personally love the idea, or banjo because I know alot of people have been longing for him (since the Melee days even), and as an Isaac fan, I can relate alot with that.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I think if we're getting any Resident Evil character, it'd have to be Chris Redfield since he is the most prominent protagonist of the series and has been within it since the very start.

As for the sword users complaint, I have to agree with it to an extent. We do have Link, Young Link and Toon Link who play similar to one another and Marth, Roy, Lucina and Chrom all play virtually the same so I can see why the complaints exist. Especially with Lucina and Chrom who essentially destroy the entire point of playing as Marth and Roy respectively. I don't see a whole lot of complaints against Toon Link, mostly because everyone forgets he even exists.

Top Bottom