• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Rare Replay on Switch just feels too obvious a release, twicefold if Banjo is actually in Smash, given the N64 generation's nostalgia for a chunk of the games in there. If there are problems with getting the Xbox games running on Switch due to unique emulation issues then, well, it's best to cut them because nobody is buying Rare Replay for Grabbed by the Ghoulies and Perfect Dark Zero*. Plus you can replace them with Rare's catalogue to drive the Nintendo/Rare nostalgia crowd even wilder.

Worst case scenario the games get released individually, because Nintendo.

*Kameo: Elements of Power is pretty good though.
Viva Pinata needs a revival on the Switch. It was one of those series everyone slept on at first but now everyone remembers fondly

I feel like it's the kind of game that would scratch the itch Animal Crossing's absence has left

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I would love Rare Replay on the Switch, especially if they added the DKC trilogy, DK64, Conker, Perfect Dark, and Diddy Kong Racing. Goldeneye would be the icing on the cake, but I doubt it due to the James Bond licensing.

Agreed. To me what makes a great Smash character is moveset potential, popularity/relevancy, additional content. Banjo & Kazooie have some of the best moveset potential than most other characters and would be unique--despite some downplaying moveset potential, even Sakurai says some characters work, others don't. Banjo & Kazooie is popular with the Smash fanbase, and has been since Melee, and is popular in both the East and West despite his lack of relevancy. Popularity and Relevancy are factors, but not the only factors. And finally, Banjo & Kazooie have the memorable characters and music to flesh out the stuff that comes with a character, though for DLC it's mainly the music.
Yup, and I still remember how many times people used the "relevancy" argument against characters like K Rool even though he was constantly topping the fan polls.

Banjo-Kazooie seem like the last fan requested "legacy" character to add to Smash.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I've never played DKC 2 and 3 (well technically I played 3's GBA version; never finished), only played some DKR DS, and haven't finished DKC 1.
Dog, if you've never played DKC2, you haven't played the biggest reason why most Donkey Kong fans are as passionate as we are. It is considerably better than the original DKC and has quite the leg up on DKC3 as well. If you have a 3DS or Wii U, you owe it to yourself to play it. It's eight bucks.

EDIT, regarding Rare Replay: I would posit that Grabbed by the Ghoulies is criminally underrated and quite a lot better (or at the very least, more fun) than Kameo.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would love Rare Replay on the Switch, especially if they added the DKC trilogy, DK64, Conker, Perfect Dark, and Diddy Kong Racing. Goldeneye would be the icing on the cake, but I doubt it due to the James Bond licensing.

Yup, and I still remember how many times people used the "relevancy" argument against characters like K Rool even though he was constantly topping the fan polls.

Banjo-Kazooie seem like the last fan requested "legacy" character to add to Smash.
Sora, Rayman, Crash Bandicoot, and Bomberman are all highly requested legacy characters too you know.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Sora, Rayman, Crash Bandicoot, and Bomberman are all highly requested legacy characters too you know.
True, but I don't think they've been requested for as long as Banjo-Kazooie. Fans have been wanting them since before Melee.

And I think 3/4 of those characters have already been deconfirmed at this point.

ChaosAngelZone

Smash Cadet
Dog, if you've never played DKC2, you haven't played the biggest reason why most Donkey Kong fans are as passionate as we are. It is considerably better than the original DKC and has quite the leg up on DKC3 as well. If you have a 3DS or Wii U, you owe it to yourself to play it. It's eight bucks..
I am in complete agreement with this. DKC2 is one of my top favorite games of all time; a true masterpiece of the 16-bit era. Anyone who's never played it before absolutely should give it a try, as it holds up incredibly well (assuming you're not looking for a deep story with a lot of context or anything like that). That game and B-K are the absolute peak of Rare at their very best.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
True, but I don't think they've been requested for as long as Banjo-Kazooie. Fans have been wanting them since before Melee.

And I think 3/4 of those characters have already been deconfirmed at this point.
Sora and Bomberman's popularity didn't pick up until the Brawl speculation days. Rayman Smash 4 and Crash pretty much Ultimate I guess. But you're right, Banjo & Kazooie have a longer history of most people wanting them in Smash.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Dog, if you've never played DKC2, you haven't played the biggest reason why most Donkey Kong fans are as passionate as we are. It is considerably better than the original DKC and has quite the leg up on DKC3 as well.
I have played Donkey Kong Country 2 before and I've got to be honest, I prefer the first game more. I dislike how I can't play as Donkey Kong. I also don't like the art direction they took for the second one, going from natural sprawling jungles they gave you sense that the world was coming to life to cartoony, over the top roller coaster rides. Then there are some really annoying levels where you gotta jump up or don't to not have the doors come down on your kart and make you start over and that ghost version can suck my willy.

Maybe it's just my nostalgia for the first game but I remember having more bad moments with DKC2 than good.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Diddys Kongquest is what cemented the Donkey Kong series for me as a favorite.... I will forever love Kaptain K. Rool over his regular look any day...

I'm getting a tattoo on my calf of the Kremling jolly Roger flag flowing on a mast in a storm because I love that game that much...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Or because waluigi was memed to death after his deconfirmation and it was "Really" ugly.
Ridley was memed to death after two deconfirmations in 10 years and still would have been had he not been chosen for Ultimate. Waluigi is in the same spot Ridley was in before Ultimate.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
So maybe if Rare Replay comes to Switch they'd have to add:

- Diddy Kong Racing (pls)
- Donkey Kong Country
- Donkey Kong Country 2
- Donkey Kong Country 3
- Donkey Kong 64
- Starfox Adventures

And if what I've heard about the 360 emulation being a no go is true then you could replace Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Perfect Dark Zero, Nuts & Bolts, Kameo, Viva Pinata and Viva Pinata 2 to keep things at an even 30 games.

Oh and port Killer Instinct over with crossplay.

Last edited:

Violante

Smash Apprentice
Wholly unconfirmed, but there have been reports that this YouTube ad for Unravel Two for Switch links directly to the Smash Brothers website when appearing as a preroll. This /v/ thread makes the claim, and it's also been noted in the comments of the ad's normal upload. Someone also made the connection that being 'Brave' is the theme of the game, playing as a small frail object in a large and hazardous world. It's not clear to me if any official text surrounding the game has used the word 'Brave' explicitly, so for now it's all conjecture.

Provided the screenshot is real, this is what it looks like (not mine):

Last edited:

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
I love Unravel 1 and 2 immensely, truly I do, but there's no way you could convince me the world would welcome the Yarnie into smash.

Also, I personally never viewed the game as being about bravery but rather growth in life, learning to accept loss, and embracing what makes you who you are.

Of course, how any individual interprets any type of art is entirely up to them.

On another note, I could listen to that soundtrack for hours on end :)

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Wholly unconfirmed, but there have been reports that this YouTube ad for Unravel Two for Switch links directly to the Smash Brothers website when appearing as a preroll. This /v/ thread makes the claim, and it's also been noted in the comments of the ad's normal upload. Someone also made the connection that being 'Brave' is the theme of the game, playing as a small frail object in a large and hazardous world. It's not clear to me if any official text surrounding the game has used the word 'Brave' explicitly, so for now it's all conjecture.

Could be a glitch in the Ad's programming. Could be real too. I doubt it since I've had ads link to different sites before so this wouldn't be anything new. The thread's implication of "Brave" in this context could still apply to many others, not just the little Yarnys. Funny how all the anon's would act like this is real when they crapped all over the Google theory.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
I'm one of the maybe dozen people who loves Unravel to death but no way in hell is Yarny getting into Smash.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I plan on playing through Donkey Kong Country 1-3 and DK 64 this summer to celebrate their 25th and 20th Anniversary's, I always like celebrating certain anniversary milestones of my most favorite franchises by playing certain games: Most recent ones

Super Mario 64 (20th Anniversary/2016)

Pokemon (20th Anniversary/2016)

(Played Pokemon Yellow in 2016, Though I also beat Let's Go Pikachu earlier this year too)

Banjo-Kazooie (20th Anniversary/2018)
(Played Banjo-Kazooie & Banjo-Tooie)

Donkey Kong Country 1-3 (25th Anniversary/2019)
Donkey Kong 64 (20th Anniversary/2019)

It's been a while since I played DKC 2 & DKC 3 and a few years since I beat DK 64, Though I beat Tropical Freeze last year, But I am looking forward to beating them on my SNES Classic and my old N64 unless they release a N64 Classic this year.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I hope if Rare Replay does come to the Switch, it at least features the DKC Trilogy; not only would I finally have a chance to replay the first two games (I have neither a Wii U nor a New 3DS), but I'd FINALLY be able to play DKC 3, which I never played before.

BZocky

Smash Ace
Could be a glitch in the Ad's programming. Could be real too. I doubt it since I've had ads link to different sites before so this wouldn't be anything new. The thread's implication of "Brave" in this context could still apply to many others, not just the little Yarnys. Funny how all the anon's would act like this is real when they crapped all over the Google theory.
Both that comment and this video recapping a major EU tourney were posted last week. Maybe it was just them or the algorithm putting Smash ads on their channel to reflect this specific upload?

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

It would be hypocritical of me to say I don't believe this but put faith in the Google theory. But this seems like a mistake or a glitch.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
If it's a glitch then that does put a dampen on the Google Theory.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I have played Donkey Kong Country 2 before and I've got to be honest, I prefer the first game more. I dislike how I can't play as Donkey Kong. I also don't like the art direction they took for the second one, going from natural sprawling jungles they gave you sense that the world was coming to life to cartoony, over the top roller coaster rides. Then there are some really annoying levels where you gotta jump up or don't to not have the doors come down on your kart and make you start over and that ghost version can suck my willy.

Maybe it's just my nostalgia for the first game but I remember having more bad moments with DKC2 than good.
I mean, I respect your opinion but out of the forty-odd levels in the game, two of them are roller coasters. And it honestly sounds like you just need to practice.

I think DKC2 beats DKC1 for many reasons, but the biggest is that the game actually rewards you for finding (and beating!) the bonus rooms. In DKC1, you just get a five-second cutscene of Donkey Kong dancing in front of his bananas and a "Congratulations!" from Cranky. In DKC2, you get a whole extra world.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Somewhere in an alternate timeline

View attachment 225037
I really wish Nintendo would have pushed Banjo-Kazooie (1998) in Super Smash Bros 64 (1999) kind of like they did in Diddy Kong Racing (1997), Granted that might be cutting it close, But it would have been great to really cement them as an "All-Star" among the Nintendo cast at the time with their breakout hit, Though Melee (2001) would have probably have been a much likelier debut.

I really wish Nintendo would have pushed Banjo-Kazooie (1998) in Super Smash Bros 64 (1999) kind of like they did in Diddy Kong Racing (1997), Granted that might be cutting it close, But it would have been great to really cement them as an "All-Star" among the Nintendo cast at the time with their breakout hit, Though Melee (2001) would have probably have been a much likelier debut.
I believe it was Rare’s decision to add Banjo and Conker to Diddy Kong Racing once they got the OK to use Diddy Kong in their racing game

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Curiosity but what’s IDC (Indie Gamer Chick) list of Credible info and Credibility currently, also what information has she not gotten right in the past.

Shawksta

Smash Apprentice
Curiosity but what’s IDC (Indie Gamer Chick) list of Credible info and Credibility currently, also what information has she not gotten right in the past.
From my memory:
Right
-Knew Kimishima was going to temporarily replace Iwata
-Metroid 2 Remake
Wrong
-NX being more powerful than PS4 and Xbox One

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
You don't know me. But I have sources from Nintendo that are telling me about an upcoming new IP from Nintendo. It's a fighting game that features a lot of Nintendo's most beloved IPs. The game is supposed to be called Super Smash Brothers and its stated to be released in January of 1999. I can't confirm how many characters will be playable and I can't confirm how legit these sources are. But they sent me this picture as proof. It features Fox, Banjo & Kazooie, Luigi, and Link. A blurry picture is all they would give me.
image0-7.png

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
You don't know me. But I have sources from Nintendo that are telling me about an upcoming new IP from Nintendo. It's a fighting game that features a lot of Nintendo's most beloved IPs. The game is supposed to be called Super Smash Brothers and its stated to be released in January of 1999. I can't confirm how many characters will be playable and I can't confirm how legit these sources are. But they sent me this picture as proof. It features Fox, Banjo & Kazooie, Luigi, and Link. A blurry picture is all they would give me.
View attachment 225054
Luigi before Mario...

This I cannot believe.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I believe it was Rare’s decision to add Banjo and Conker to Diddy Kong Racing once they got the OK to use Diddy Kong in their racing game
No, they were going to do a sequel to Pro-am but Miyamoto suggested they use Diddy Kong as the mascot of the title and create their own unique spin on a racer. And they did. And they added a bunch of characters they had games planned for. Including Conker and Banjo. That's the story.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
View attachment 225054
Banjo-Kazooie, but no Donkey Kong? I wish his rights weren't wrapped up with Rare... You never see him anywhere

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Luigi before Mario...

This I cannot believe.
Banjo-Kazooie, but no Donkey Kong? I wish his rights weren't wrapped up with Rare... You never see him anywhere
They also say Steve from a game called Minecraft will be in? Which is really strange to me because when I AOL search for Minecraft nothing comes up. Ask Jeeves didn't give me anything either.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
They also say Steve from a game called Minecraft will be in? Which is really strange to me because when I AOL search for Minecraft nothing comes up. Ask Jeeves didn't give me anything either.
Must be some completely exclusive to one part of the world franchise that might get in the sequel and receive 7 characters total by the fifth installment.

(Quick note: not actually bashing Fire Emblem and the character count, just using it as a joke)

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Hell, While a lot of us were in grade school playing the N64 in 1999, A lot of their fans weren't even born yet.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
While we're talking Rareware games, here is music from one that describes us waiting for E3, especially the beginning part.

Top Bottom