• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
This has been discussed somewhat before, But was mentioned that if Rare Replay gets ported to the Switch that it would probably not contain the Xbox games possibly because they may not be able to run on Switch and that they will very likely inflate the file size of the game (Yes, I know that the 360 games were treated as separated downloads including the N64 ports) ,But the Switch only has 32 GB of storage (Around 25 GB after System OS junk)

Rare Replay is a 50 GB game (Unless they have some crazy compression skills) which clearly wouldn't fit digitally on the Switch or a Cartridge seeing how 32 GB is the largest capacity available (Apparently there is a 64 GB in the works), But if you trim out the Xbox games they can likely fit it in a cartridge with some room to spare and seeing how older games have much smaller file sizes they should be able to fit Donkey Kong Country 1-3, DK 64, Diddy Kong Racing and Star Fox Adventures without a problem.

Nintendo/Rareware Games:

Donkey Kong Country 1-3
Donkey Kong 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Star Fox Adventures

(Trade proposal)

Microsoft Xbox/Rare Games:

Ghoulies
Perfect Dark Zero
Kameo
Jetpac Refueled
Viva Piñata 1-2
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

Hell I'll still buy a neutered version of Rare Replay without Xbox games if that's the only way we get it on Switch, But let's be honest other than maybe Viva Piñata and Possibly Nuts & Bolts that wouldn't be much of a loss as long as we get the N64 games and maybe some of the older games.
Now imagine this with Donkey Kong on the cover with his games on the Switch, Oh yeah I would be excited too.View attachment 224976View attachment 224977
I do believe that Rare Replay would be a Nintendo game more so than a Xbox game. Because the Xbox version of these games are GB heavy but they can actually be taken out with replacements and input the SNES, N64, GameCube, Etc. for the Switch
Here’s an example:

Nintendo Switch Version only; Games from 1983 - 2001 including:
Donkey Kong Country 1,2,3
Donkey Kong 64
Star Fox Adventure

With the Xbox version you only keep the Xbox/Rare Games in the Original.

andree123

Smash Ace
A good point that was made (forget who), Nintendo may not want Donkey Kong in a collection that's rated M, due to Conker and Perfect Dark. In my ideal world, all Rare/Nintendo games would be in it. Goldeneye won't happen to due licensing, and Donkey Kong may not happen due to the rating.

EDIT: Scott the Woz (I think) in Spawnwave's Nintendo E3 predictions video.
You are correct, Heard part of it this morning. They mentioned it around the (11:30 mark)
Oh, it seems I saw your post getting glitch'd.
Edit: Well, I fixed it for ya.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I do believe that Rare Replay would be a Nintendo game more so than a Xbox game. Because the Xbox version of these games are GB heavy but they can actually be taken out with replacements and input the SNES, N64, GameCube, Etc. for the Switch
Here’s an example:

Donkey Kong 64
Star Fox Adventure

Thanks for bringing it up ,But if you read one of my earlier post I already mentioned about the Nintendo era and Xbox era game swap.

Oh, it seems I saw your post getting glitch'd.
Edit: Well, I fixed it for ya.
Thank you, Not sure what happened, Just a glitch I suppose.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Outside of his opinion on Steve, which I disagree with, he's not wrong. One of the things that I worried about was when Sakurai said Nintendo gave him a list of characters--and I worried that Minecraft would be on there, while Banjo wasn't. It makes sense for Nintendo, while (in my opinion) doesn't make sense for Smash. Someone said earlier Steve was a choice that made sense but is underwhelming, and I agree with that.

EDIT: Apparently he was talking about Master Chief and not Steve, not sure how I made that mix-up. Also, this post was responding to the highlighted section of the video, but in fact, was probably just where I left off previously, so you can disregard this post.

Last edited:
Outside of his opinion on Steve, which I disagree with, he's not wrong. One of the things that I worried about was when Sakurai said Nintendo gave him a list of characters--and I worried that Minecraft would be on there, while Banjo wasn't. It makes sense for Nintendo, while (in my opinion) doesn't make sense for Smash. Someone said earlier Steve was a choice that made sense but is underwhelming, and I agree with that.
Time stamp in the video for this?

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Here’s an example:

Donkey Kong 64
Star Fox Adventure

Don't forget Diddy Kong Racing. And call me optimistic, but I think MS and Nintendo will work out a deal for Goldeneye HD to be released for both of their systems. MS almost re-released it at one time so licensing it might not be a big problem.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
Just a quick reminder:

Yes, an Erdrick reveal at E3 would be a very unwise marketing decision. It would be ESPECIALLY baffling if he were the SOLE reveal at E3.

But Incineroar and Ken being the last base roster reveals was incredibly stupid as well.

Nintendo pretty routinely makes hilariously stupid marketing/business mistakes. Super Mario Maker 2 with no online co-op, anyone?

I’m just saying don’t write off the possibility that Nintendo does the least likely, most stupid, self-sabotaging things at E3. We’ve seen them screw the pooch in similar fashion before.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Time stamp in the video for this?
I assumed it was highlighting a certain section of the video, but looking back, it actually left off where I was watching it previously, so you can disregard my response. They talk about Banjo's potential in Smash at 9:50. 15:00 for other Microsoft characters. 15:40 when Scott says Steve makes sense, but underwhelming. 16:15 was what I responded to, where he says Banjo's more a fan want than what Nintendo wants, and I guess confused him talking about Master Chief and Steve. I agree Master Chief would make a major splash, but I also consider him less likely now.

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman

EDIT: Apparently he was talking about Master Chief and not Steve, not sure how I made that mix-up. Also, this post was responding to the highlighted section of the video, but in fact, was probably just where I left off previously, so you can disregard this post.
You say Nintendo is picking the DLC and Minecraft is one of the DLC but an actuality Phil Spencer says He would still want Banjo-Kazooie in Smash Bros Which if we look closely at the Decision making Phil Spencer is the person that decides rather he wants any Content of Microsoft in a Nintendo game and he no doubt would still stay in firm position to keep his word that he Wants Banjo-Kazooie in Smash Bros Ultimate so I don’t see Steve nor any Minecraft content for the Game (unless it’s just a Spirit or a Mii Costume) especially since it’s NOW almost been a Year since this rumor started but has never been should of happened, a thing people forget about Rumors is that they have an expiration date of when it’s confirmed or deconfirmed and that rumor was supposed to be on its release.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Don't forget Diddy Kong Racing. And call me optimistic, but I think MS and Nintendo will work out a deal for Goldeneye HD to be released for both of their systems. MS almost re-released it at one time so licensing it might not be a big problem.
This would require the Goldeneye license and licensing agreements to use each of the actors likeness for the characters such as Pierce Brosnan, Sean Bean, etc. which is as far as I'm aware of, not possible. The XBLA version was never released so they probably never got the rights to use the actors so if they were going to release it, they'd probably run into legal issues before they could even release the game. It's one of the reasons why Goldeneye Wii turned out the way it did and boy was that game mediocre.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Just a quick reminder:

Yes, an Erdrick reveal at E3 would be a very unwise marketing decision. It would be ESPECIALLY baffling if he were the SOLE reveal at E3.

But Incineroar and Ken being the last base roster reveals was incredibly stupid as well.

Nintendo pretty routinely makes hilariously stupid marketing/business mistakes. Super Mario Maker 2 with no online co-op, anyone?

I’m just saying don’t write off the possibility that Nintendo does the least likely, most stupid, self-sabotaging things at E3. We’ve seen them screw the pooch in similar fashion before.
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo chose completely off-the-wall characters that NO ONE saw coming. Not the fans or the leakers. I'm sure Joker might've been referenced or hinted at by some leakers, but he was still a big surprise to me so I really have a feeling we're not gonna see who the next fighters are coming. As much as I'm hoping for Banjo & Kazooie to finally make it in, they've had so many opportune moments this past year to reveal them and didn't. If they don't show up at E3, I personally am gonna say game over for them. Cue Gruntilda getting all gorgeous and Mumbo asking her out while Tooty becomes ugly and fat and joins Banjo & Kazooie in their pizza-eating obscurity! Joking, of course, but we've been here one time to many for me to get my hopes up only to have them dashed again.

Bayonetta stole the slot of Banjo.

Jokes aside, that's a fine enough reference. Bayo herself fought with Pit and Dark Pit in her own trailer, after all, despite angels in Bayonetta being pretty different than the ones in Kid Icarus. I'm not sure if Banjo and Kazooie routinely hunt witches, though.
Ha! I said the same thing about Joker stealing Banjo & Kazooie's slot at the VGAs lol seemed like his time to shine! And no they don't normally hunt witches, Gruntilda and her sisters in Banjo-Tooie just happen to be the main antagonists of their series and they're all witches lol so I get them being associated with Bayonetta. Like you said, Kid Icarus was used to introduce Bayonetta in as the fighter ballot character, it'd be interesting to see that referenced again with the original witch killers of video gaming lol

I just sincerely hope we'll get a lot of cool announcements at E3 this year from Nintendo.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
You say Nintendo is picking the DLC and Minecraft is one of the DLC but an actuality Phil Spencer says He would still want Banjo-Kazooie in Smash Bros Which if we look closely at the Decision making Phil Spencer is the person that decides rather he wants any Content of Microsoft in a Nintendo game and he no doubt would still stay in firm position to keep his word that he Wants Banjo-Kazooie in Smash Bros Ultimate so I don’t see Steve nor any Minecraft content for the Game (unless it’s just a Spirit or a Mii Costume) especially since it’s NOW almost been a Year since this rumor started but has never been should of happened, a thing people forget about Rumors is that they have an expiration date of when it’s confirmed or deconfirmed and that rumor was supposed to be on its release.
Strictly speaking, Phil only said he's open to working with Nintendo for Banjo in Smash, in response to fans asking. It's ultimately Nintendo/Sakurai's decision to approach them, and it's only Microsoft's decision to accept or decline. I do not see a situation where Nintendo/Sakurai approach Microsoft for Minecraft, and Microsoft declining in favor of Banjo--they don't care about Banjo, as we've seen in their treatment of the IP for the past twenty years.

What made Banjo & Kazooie more likely for Smash, outside of Phil's statements which opened the possibility, was Verge's rumors that Minecraft content was coming. The reasoning was, "Why would they go to Microsoft to only get a stage, when they could get a character?" and at the time, Banjo & Kazooie felt like the best possibility. So if Verge's rumors of Minecraft content were wrong, I'd say that decreases Banjo & Kazooie's chances, not increases them. It's always possible there is no Microsoft character at all.

After Joker's reveal, the fact they include Mii costumes from different series from the same company, gives me hope that Banjo & Kazooie are the character, with a Minecraft mii costume. Would satisfy Verge's rumor of Minecraft content while allowing Banjo & Kazooie to be a character.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
This would require the Goldeneye license and licensing agreements to use each of the actors likeness for the characters such as Pierce Brosnan, Sean Bean, etc. which is as far as I'm aware of, not possible. The XBLA version was never released so they probably never got the rights to use the actors so if they were going to release it, they'd probably run into legal issues before they could even release the game. It's one of the reasons why Goldeneye Wii turned out the way it did and boy was that game mediocre.
According to this https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/23/look-at-the-xbox-360-s-cancelled-goldeneye-007-hd-remaster/, it was because MS and Nintendo couldn't make a deal. Of course, I don't think Activision owns the Bond license anymore. If they are this friendly with each other now, I'm sure they can work something out and work through the legal hurdles surrounding the game.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I can see them taking out the XBox stuff and adding the N64 versions of Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie, etc.

I can also see them keeping the N64 version of Conker's Bad Fur Day if Nintendo allows it (they helped advertise it back then so).

It'd be nice to have all their DK games in one place on the Switch; I've never played DKC 2 and 3 (well technically I played 3's GBA version; never finished), only played some DKR DS, and haven't finished DKC 1.

Last edited:

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
I'd be perfectly happy with removing the Xbox and 360 games and replacing them with Rare's Nintendo catalogue like the DKC trilogy, DK64, and Star Fox Adventures (which is a good game dangit).

Shawksta

Smash Apprentice
The one thing that bugs me is how people are automatically assuming they know what franchises Nintendo "gave sakurai to choose between".
As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't actually exist, people just took the statement Sakurai said and rolled with it. We don't fully know the actual process and who Nintendo would've considered. It couldve been companies to work with rather than series/characters for all we know.
When the rumors came out about Minecraft, and the statement happened people eventually hounded the DLC statement and assumed "YEAH NINTENDO DEFINITELY WOULDVE WANTED MINECRAFT, IT MAKES SENSE WITH THE RUMOR, ITS POPULAR" when there really wasnt any merit before then.

I fee that the idea of "NINTENDO CHOOSES THE DLC, THAT MEANS WE ARE GETTING...." is stale and irrelevant, especially since when we first heard about the quote and before Joker, all you heard was "NINTENDO DEFINITELY WANTS TO SHILL THE NEWEST FIRE EMBLEM AND POKEMON"

Just something to consider when talking about "What would Nintendo choose"

Last edited:
I feel like people have slowly adapted this mentality that Smash is nothing more than just a marketing machine. And while yes, it definitely can be, people seem to have forgotten that Smash is first and foremost a fun, fan-driven party game. With that said, if Nintendo and Microsoft are willing to work together to get a Microsoft character in Smash, why wouldn’t they want to finally take advantage of the opportunity to finally get a long-requested character that they know will make people lose their mind in the game? For all we know, Nintendo may have pursued Microsoft in the past for Banjo but were turned down. Now Microsoft is lead by someone with a love for Nintendo and a respect for the outcry for Banjo in Smash. Sure Steve has “muh sales,” but as I said, Smash is more than just a mindless marketing machine.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Strictly speaking, Phil only said he's open to working with Nintendo for Banjo in Smash, in response to fans asking. It's ultimately Nintendo/Sakurai's decision to approach them, and it's only Microsoft's decision to accept or decline. I do not see a situation where Nintendo/Sakurai approach Microsoft for Minecraft, and Microsoft declining in favor of Banjo--they don't care about Banjo, as we've seen in their treatment of the IP for the past twenty years.

What made Banjo & Kazooie more likely for Smash, outside of Phil's statements which opened the possibility, was Verge's rumors that Minecraft content was coming. The reasoning was, "Why would they go to Microsoft to only get a stage, when they could get a character?" and at the time, Banjo & Kazooie felt like the best possibility. So if Verge's rumors of Minecraft content were wrong, I'd say that decreases Banjo & Kazooie's chances, not increases them. It's always possible there is no Microsoft character at all.

After Joker's reveal, the fact they include Mii costumes from different series from the same company, gives me hope that Banjo & Kazooie are the character, with a Minecraft mii costume. Would satisfy Verge's rumor of Minecraft content while allowing Banjo & Kazooie to be a character.
Verge has been claiming Minecraft content since before the DLC, and that still hasn't happened yet. How would he know this many months in advance if Minecraft content is DLC (notice how he switched it to being DLC after being wrong about it being base game)? Color me skeptical. Just like how I'm skeptical of how he heard of a Square character/Erdrick six months in advance at a time when only Sakurai, Nintendo execs, and maybe third party execs/developers would have known who the DLC characters were.

Tansut is the other leaker that people put stock in because he claimed that Cloud was coming right before he was announced. However, he only did so mere hours before he was announced. Right when other people would have been made aware of him, which to me isn't as impressive as it sounds. So really all we have to go on is the the word of two "leakers" who are claiming that there's a Square/DQ rep, but have shown us no proof that there is one other than a list of Square characters which is basically the game thing as making a random guess.

I feel that BK would be best as a character (a Mii costume would be insulting to fans who have wanted them since Melee and they wouldn't really work with the addition of Kazooie) and Minecraft simply works better as a costume considering Steve himself is just a player avatar character that disappears once you put on a new skin.

I think Banjo has more going for him than that.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I feel like people have slowly adapted this mentality that Smash is nothing more than just a marketing machine. And while yes, it definitely can be, people seem to have forgotten that Smash is first and foremost a fun, fan-driven party game. With that said, if Nintendo and Microsoft are willing to work together to get a Microsoft character in Smash, why wouldn’t they want to finally take advantage of the opportunity to finally get a long-requested character that they know will make people lose their mind in the game? For all we know, Nintendo may have pursued Microsoft in the past for Banjo but were turned down. Now Microsoft is lead by someone with a love for Nintendo and a respect for the outcry for Banjo in Smash. Sure Steve has “muh sales,” but as I said, Smash is more than just a mindless marketing machine.
If a character sales well, it means they are popular. That's it.

I don't know why people insist on acting like sales and popularity are mutually exclusive terms.

Last edited:

Bubblestand

Smash Cadet
I know the halo dev said ‘no’ to master chief, but reading that fatmanonice post makes me lean more toward master chief than banjo. There are rumors of MasterChiefCollection coming to switch and he is their mascot after all. I mean I’d rather have banjo but I think master chief would make a bigger splash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If a character sales well, it means they are popular. That's it.

I don't know why people insist on acting like sales and popularity are mutually exclusive terms.
Here’s something to keep in mind P5 only sold 2million copies and joker got in. Oh yeah also DQ3 sold 4million copies same amount as banjo kazooie. Wanna see the same happen to these 2?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
The one thing that bugs me is how people are automatically assuming they know what franchises Nintendo "gave sakurai to choose between".
As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't actually exist, people just took the statement Sakurai said and rolled with it. We don't fully know the actual process and who Nintendo would've considered. It couldve been companies to work with rather than series/characters for all we know.
When the rumors came out about Minecraft, and the statement happened people eventually hounded the DLC statement and assumed "YEAH NINTENDO DEFINITELY WOULDVE WANTED MINECRAFT, IT MAKES SENSE WITH THE RUMOR, ITS POPULAR" when there really wasnt any merit before then.

I fee that the idea of "NINTENDO CHOOSES THE DLC, THAT MEANS WE ARE GETTING...." is stale and irrelevant, especially since when we first heard about the quote and before Joker, all you heard was "NINTENDO DEFINITELY WANTS TO SHILL THE NEWEST FIRE EMBLEM AND POKEMON"

Just something to consider when talking about "What would Nintendo choose"
"This time the selection was made entirely by Nintendo. I decide if we can create a fighter based on their selection, then come up with the plan." That's fairly specific--he didn't have mention that, but he did. And I've learned from Ultimate's press prior to the game's release that Sakurai is pretty direct (e.g., "Don't expect too many characters", "we went overboard, and will slow down announcements") rather than someone who undersells. And Nintendo certainly cares more about Minecraft than their former IP they no longer own.

That being said, of course it could have been a list of companies, or franchises, rather than specific characters. My reading of his statement is that he likely meant characters, but who knows. With Joker's reveal, and apparently no P5 on the Switch, it's plausible Nintendo recommended Atlus, and Sakurai being a fan of Persona 5, picked Joker.

Verge has been claiming Minecraft content since before the DLC, and that still hasn't happened yet. How would he know this many months in advance if Minecraft content is DLC (notice how he switched it to being DLC after being wrong about it being base game)? Color me skeptical. Just like how I'm skeptical of how he heard of a Square character/Erdrick six months in advance at a time when only Sakurai, Nintendo execs, and maybe third party execs/developers would have known who the DLC characters were.

Tansut is the other leaker that people put stock in because he claimed that Cloud was coming right before he was announced. However, he only did so mere hours before he was announced. Right when other people would have been made aware of him, which to me isn't as impressive as it sounds. So really all we have to go on is the the word of two "leakers" who are claiming that there's a Square/DQ rep, but have shown us no proof that there is one other than a list of Square characters which is basically the game thing as making a random guess.

I feel that BK would be best as a character (a Mii costume would be insulting to fans who have wanted them since Melee and they wouldn't really work with the addition of Kazooie) and Minecraft simply works better as a costume considering Steve himself is just a player avatar character that disappears once you put on a new skin.

I think Banjo has more going for him than that.
I do think Verge would not know about DLC content that far in advance, which is why I have stated previously that it makes those rumors less plausible now--which isn't good for Banjo. If what Verge was talking about was a Mii Costume for Minecraft, that help's Banjo's chances. Outside of Verge, we have no credible rumors of Microsoft content in Smash (the closest is Sabi, but they aren't sure). It's plausible there is no Microsoft content in Smash.

And I stated in that post that I want Banjo & Kazooie to be the character, with Minecraft as a Mii costume--it's what I want and works with the rumors. So, there's no disagreement there. I love Banjo, Smash feels missing without him, but I also want to be as realistic as possible.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Exactly. If "muh sales!" and "this character is popular!" are the only reasons Nintendo picks DLC characters, then I doubt we could have got Joker. Sure, he's popular, but not super popular. They probably would have went with Steve or Doom Guy right off the bat.

If sales and popularity are the only things that matter, then why hasn't Tetris been made into a character? Five Nights At Freddies? Goku? Yeah, Nintendo still wants to make money, but I think there's more to these DLC characters than them being popular and sales.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I know the halo dev said ‘no’ to master chief, but reading that fatmanonice post makes me lean more toward master chief than banjo. There are rumors of MasterChiefCollection coming to switch and he is their mascot after all. I mean I’d rather have banjo but I think master chief would make a bigger splash.
I agree with you. No doubt in my mind that Banjo would be huge but I wouldn’t he would “blindsight” us given how he’s super speculated for e3.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I do think Verge would not know about DLC content that far in advance, which is why I have stated previously that it makes those rumors less plausible now--which isn't good for Banjo. If what Verge was talking about was a Mii Costume for Minecraft, that help's Banjo's chances. Outside of Verge, we have no credible rumors of Microsoft content in Smash (the closest is Sabi, but they aren't sure). It's plausible there is no Microsoft content in Smash.

And I stated in that post that I want Banjo & Kazooie to be the character, with Minecraft as a Mii costume--it's what I want and works with the rumors. So, there's no disagreement there. I love Banjo, Smash feels missing without him, but I also want to be as realistic as possible.
Which is why I'm doubting a leaker who claims to have known the DLC content that far in advance who so far has been wrong about the DLC.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much. We might not even get a Microsoft character, or a Square character for that matter, but I think that the time is right for Banjo. There has never been a better time for them to get into Smash.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
According to this https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/23/look-at-the-xbox-360-s-cancelled-goldeneye-007-hd-remaster/, it was because MS and Nintendo couldn't make a deal. Of course, I don't think Activision owns the Bond license anymore. If they are this friendly with each other now, I'm sure they can work something out and work through the legal hurdles surrounding the game.
Again the problem is that they would have to get the actor's likeness to portray them as the main characters that appear in Goldeneye, James Bond, Natalya, Treveleyan, Xenia, Boris, Ourumov, Valentin, Mishkin which is not as easy as it sounds.

What about Indie Gamer Chick?

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Also, if Smash is only a marketing technique/promotional, then what would Minecraft gain from it? It’s already immensely popular. And Minecraft is already on Switch, and there’s no way Steve would be promoting anything new for the series. Heck, it isn’t even a series at all (ignoring story mode or whatever).

By this logic, Steve would not be even in consideration. If we’re talking brand new games (or rereleases, in this case), Minecraft content would promote virtually nothing. On the other hand, Banjo could promote Rare Replay or Banjo-Threeie. Also considering if all of the other deconfirms are true (Master Chief, Cuphead, etc.), then Banjo is the only Microsoft representative that works with this same logic that somehow “helps” Steve’s chances.

Obviously this assumes that Smash DLC is promotional for the most part and I don’t really agree, but it’s just an argument for argument’s sake.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Exactly. If "muh sales!" and "this character is popular!" are the only reasons Nintendo picks DLC characters, then I doubt we could have got Joker. Sure, he's popular, but not super popular. They probably would have went with Steve or Doom Guy right off the bat.

If sales and popularity are the only things that matter, then why hasn't Tetris been made into a character? Five Nights At Freddies? Goku? Yeah, Nintendo still wants to make money, but I think there's more to these DLC characters than them being popular and sales.
Agreed. To me what makes a great Smash character is moveset potential, popularity/relevancy, additional content. Banjo & Kazooie have some of the best moveset potential than most other characters and would be unique--despite some downplaying moveset potential, even Sakurai says some characters work, others don't. Banjo & Kazooie is popular with the Smash fanbase, and has been since Melee, and is popular in both the East and West despite his lack of relevancy. Popularity and Relevancy are factors, but not the only factors. And finally, Banjo & Kazooie have the memorable characters and music to flesh out the stuff that comes with a character, though for DLC it's mainly the music.

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
I'm calling it now, if Rare Replay does in fact make it onto the Switch with a slew of Nintendo games thrown in, it will WIPE 5THE FLOOR with XBox RR in terms of sales.

The problem with the only-average sales of the XB RR was because a vast majority of people who grew up with the XBox had no relations to the like of Rare, and all their refent games have been so-so, thus not drawing in a wide fanbase either.

But I guarantee a HUGE majority of Nintendo fans will feel right at home in the digital halls of Rare Replay: Nintendo Switch Edition. With the likes of Donkey Kong and possibly Goldeneye to grace the game, it will no-doubt sell like hotcakes!

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm calling it now, if Rare Replay does in fact make it onto the Switch with a slew of Nintendo games thrown in, it will WIPE 5THE FLOOR with XBox RR in terms of sales.

The problem with the only-average sales of the XB RR was because a vast majority of people who grew up with the XBox had no relations to the like of Rare, and all their refent games have been so-so, thus not drawing in a wide fanbase either.

But I guarantee a HUGE majority of Nintendo fans will feel right at home in the digital halls of Rare Replay: Nintendo Switch Edition. With the likes of Donkey Kong and possibly Goldeneye to grace the game, it will no-doubt sell like hotcakes!
As long as there is Perfect Dark in there as well, it'll be great! I love Perfect Dark. I beat all the missions on Perfect Agent to get the cheats and did it again in Co-op mode to get the ability to use 4 simulants. I'm not expecting Goldeneye to be there due to the reasons i stated before.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Mostly I want Rare Replay on Switch because playing the original N64 versions of Banjo-Tooie, Jet Force Gemini and Perfect Dark is painful with the three pronged single stick monstrosity that is the N64 controller on top of the incredibly janky framerate.

Playing JFG and PD with a twin stick controller? Banjo-Tooie at a smooth and consistent frame rate? Yes please. Throw in Diddy Kong Racing, the Donkey Kong Country trilogy, DK64 and Star Fox Adventures in lieu of the Xbox games nobody cares about and I'll gladly pay the inflated Switch tax.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I'd like Rare Replay on the Switch as all my N64 games were stolen (except Rugrats), and can't play it on PC. My only option is Xbox, where I do own BK and BT, but that was stolen as well. Was looking online for a cheap Xbox One, but even the cheapest are too expensive (for the 2-3 games I want to play on it), though I could just get an Xbox 360. Waiting to see what happens this E3 before making a decision.

The only negative about getting Rare Replay on Switch is I suspect it would keep the Nintendo stuff out and the Nuts and Bolts references in.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Rare Replay on Switch just feels too obvious a release, twicefold if Banjo is actually in Smash, given the N64 generation's nostalgia for a chunk of the games in there. If there are problems with getting the Xbox games running on Switch due to unique emulation issues then, well, it's best to cut them because nobody is buying Rare Replay for Grabbed by the Ghoulies and Perfect Dark Zero*. Plus you can replace them with Rare's catalogue to drive the Nintendo/Rare nostalgia crowd even wilder.

Worst case scenario the games get released individually, because Nintendo.

*Kameo: Elements of Power is pretty good though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom