• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Well then... things are certainly getting interesting, aren't they?

You know, it's somewhat unrelated, but there was this one "leak" that involved JSON files that I recall, with one of the characters in this list including Banjo. I honestly have no idea if it's true or not (being that it came from 4chan, it's obviously not entirely credible, but it looks far more interesting then others I've seen).

It was sort of forgotten about, but yeah: I still think about it every now and then and just wonder.
Pretty sure that was dismissed almost immediately.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
tbh I'm pretty sure every website leak and eShop leak is fake; not only are they easy to make, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo wouldn't have data like that visible or even put into the code so early, especially not the entire DLC list.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Yeah sadly. The guy messed up with it came to translations which got it thrown out pretty quickly.
From what I understand, the only apparent translation error that was made in the "leak" (excluding Joker, the characters were Chrono, Banjo, Reimu, and Agumon for those who don't know about it) was the spelling of Chrono's name in English as it was spelled "Crono" back then due to SNES limitations for character names and that hasn't changed since then. As was shown, the spelling is "Chrono" instead, but besides that, the rest of the translations in the other languages were apparently correct.

Still doesn't really change the fact that yeah, it's too good to be true as much as I'd love to have Chrono, Banjo, AND Reimu in this game.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I've been seeing a lot of hate for Reimu. I think her getting in would cause a lot of people to have an aneurysm.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I've been seeing a lot of hate for Reimu. I think her getting in would cause a lot of people to have an aneurysm.
And I fail to see why really as the arguments against her (which have included insults and other ridiculous things I won't mention here) are kinda silly. Sure, I get she hasn't really associated with Nintendo until pretty recently, but she's a gaming icon in her own right based off my knowledge.

However, that's all I'll say on that in here because of this being Banjo's thread and I wouldn't want to go too deeply into it on a thread not related to her.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The most fun thing to watch will be the "no western reps" argument disappear, god I can't wait.
Seriously, that is honestly such a dumb argument
Especially when you consider that we technically already have a western character. Banjo and K rool were created by the same company after all.

Fan rules are one hell of a drug
“bUt K rOoL iS a NiNtEnDo IP sO iT dOeSnT cOuNt!”
Honestly...I can kinda understand the issue here.

See, something that has to be considered here is the whole language barrier thing. Sakurai is, of course, Japanese, and ergo lives in Japan. He has several connections to people within the Japanese gaming industry, like Suda51 and Kamiya. So, when it comes to negiotating for characters for Smash, it's probably much easier for him do so with all the big gaming companies like Capcom, SEGA, Atlus, etc that are situated within his home country and also speak his language, as opposed to foreign-speaking companies that are on the other side of the globe. The western designed characters we have in Smash now (Diddy, K. Rool, Dark Samus) are all owned by Nintendo, so already there's much less of a hassle in that case. I think all of this probably factors into why we have yet to see a western composer brought on for Smash's soundtrack.

I don't even think Sakurai actually knows how to even really speak English. The only instance I recall on the top of my head was during the opening segment of the Smash 4 invitationals back at E3 2014 (where he blurted out a simple "HELLO EVERYONE!"). So yes, it's not a real hard and fast rule, and a western owned character in Smash Bros. isn't impossible, but it's kinda easy to see why western third parties are sort of at a disadvantage in comparison to Japanese ones.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
And I fail to see why really as the arguments against her (which have included insults and other ridiculous things I won't mention here) are kinda silly. Sure, I get she hasn't really associated with Nintendo until pretty recently, but she's a gaming icon in her own right based off my knowledge.

However, that's all I'll say on that in here because of this being Banjo's thread and I wouldn't want to go too deeply into it on a thread not related to her.

Not going to dwell on it either, but it's probably down to how Touhou's viewed at a glance. In their eyes it leans more into the "Cute girls manga / anime" (and with those unfortunate implications) area rather than "Bullet hell video game series that happens to have an almost all female cast".

There is a very tenous correlation to be made with Banjo here. I would not be surprised if those who are not fans of Banjo view Banjo-Kazooie as "3D platformers starring Disney-esque animals"*. I'm not saying either moniker's fully accurate, but the point is - an image can help and hurt an IP. In Banjo's case, having strong resemblence with Disney-esque animation likely convinced many parents to buy Banjo-Kazooie for their kids (thus helping to start the whole fanbase). I mean, just look at the boxart. A cute bear-bird duo rescuing a helpless creature and nabbing a golden jigsaw piece while the Wicked Witch of the West clearly looms over the duo. Tells what that parents need to know. It's safe for the kids.

The trade off is, the parents might not expect it to be deep, just shallow entertainment for the kids. Disney has that rep as the "kid / family friendly" stuff. And that bleeds into stuff not made by Disney. Because Disney is everywhere.

*(Rare admitted to basing Banjo-Kazooie partly on Disney animation in N64 magazine issue 16)

Last edited:

See, something that has to be considered here is the whole language barrier thing. Sakurai is, of course, Japanese, and ergo lives in Japan. He has several connections to people within the Japanese gaming industry, like Suda51 and Kamiya. So, when it comes to negiotating for characters for Smash, it's probably much easier for him do so with all the big gaming companies like Capcom, SEGA, Atlus, etc that are situated within his home country and also speak his language, as opposed to foreign-speaking companies that are on the other side of the globe. The western designed characters we have in Smash now (Diddy, K. Rool, Dark Samus) are all owned by Nintendo, so already there's much less of a hassle in that case. I think all of this probably factors into why we have yet to see a western composer brought on for Smash's soundtrack.

I don't even think Sakurai actually knows how to even really speak English. The only instance I recall on the top of my head was during the opening segment of the Smash 4 invitationals back at E3 2014 (where he blurted out a simple "HELLO EVERYONE!"). So yes, it's not a real hard and fast rule, and a western owned character in Smash Bros. isn't impossible, but it's kinda easy to see why western third parties are sort of at a disadvantage in comparison to Japanese ones.
This is all assuming that he can’t have interpreters help him communicate. If a western character is something he or Nintendo wants, they’ll make it work

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

At least we all can agree that Banjo will have a 99.9% acceptance rate.:4pacman:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
even there Banjo made his debut in Diddy Kong Racing around a year earlier than his namesake title, with him and Conker being the first members of the Diddy Kong crew according to the instruction manual. HUH
THEY'RE THE FIRST MEMBERS OF THE DIDDY CREW!
BC. BANJO AND CONKER.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yeah, I can see why Sakurai may be put-off by a language barrier, but if he wants Banjo-Kazooie or another Western character, he'll get them. He probably would've added them in Melee, even, since he said he knew people would expect them to be a natural addition/whatever but he couldn't add them due to legal reasons. If he wants them now, he'll just get a translator, and it's not the only time he'd have someone translate for him, as he had someone do so at E3 in the Treehouse and maybe even the main presentation (I don't remember the specifics).

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
“bUt K rOoL iS a NiNtEnDo IP sO iT dOeSnT cOuNt!”
I mean, I know were joking and all, but there is a bit of a legitimate point that so far, Nintendo has exclusively made playable characters out of Japanese third party options. Out of the 9 unique third parties we have, all 9 are Japanese and originate from 4 companies. Third parties seem to just genuinely be harder work on Sakurai for making things work, so I suspect that's why we've generally seen a limited slice of third party characters.

Now, I don't think no western third parties is anything close to a rule or anything. I don't think it's impossible in the least bit and going for something historic like a Microsoft collab on Banjo makes a lot of sense for the first one, but I do think it's genuinely interesting how we've so far limited things to Japan. I also think there might be slighly more weight on the whole issue of third party inclusions, particularly a Western one, than we generally attribute... But hey, that's also just a bit of guesswork, so that's just my take on things.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
There is a very tenous correlation to be made with Banjo here. I would not be surprised if those who are not fans of Banjo view Banjo-Kazooie as "3D platformers starring Disney-esque animals"*. I'm not saying either moniker's fully accurate, but the point is - an image can help and hurt an IP. In Banjo's case, having strong resemblence with Disney-esque animation likely convinced many parents to buy Banjo-Kazooie for their kids (thus helping to start the whole fanbase). I mean, just look at the boxart. A cute bear-bird duo rescuing a helpless creature and nabbing a golden jigsaw piece while the Wicked Witch of the West clearly looms over the duo. Tells what that parents need to know. It's safe for the kids.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head for one of the many reasons why I found myself enjoying Banjo-Kazooie as a kid. I’m sure I’m not the only one, but the fun, colorful, cartoony worlds and characters it promised definitely appealed to 8-year old me.

Now, I don't think no western third parties is anything close to a rule or anything. I don't think it's impossible in the least bit and going for something historic like a Microsoft collab on Banjo makes a lot of sense for the first one, but I do think it's genuinely interesting how we've so far limited things to Japan. I also think there might be slighly more weight on the whole issue of third party inclusions, particularly a Western one, than we generally attribute... But hey, that's also just a bit of guesswork, so that's just my take on things.
Well then who better to shake things up and be the first western third party choice than our beloved backpacking bear and bird buddies themselves! It does help that Japan apparently loves Banjo-Kazooie as much as we Westerners do, both Americans and Europeans!

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure they will just do what they did when trying to get shovel knight. Or Cuphead for Switch. And possible Rare Replay. They have a team of people on hand who do all the English talking.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
One thing that might be worth dicussing in regards to Shovel Knight: Nintendo actually published his game in Japan.

It's a bit similar to those Rayman Legends trophies we got back in Smash 4. A lot of people were confused by that, but I always thought it made sense: Rayman Legends not only remained a Wii U exclusive in Japan, but it was actually also published by Nintendo there.

So, from that viewpoint, it's sort of a second party Nintendo game, along the lines of The Last Story or Pandora's Tower.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Yeah, I can see why Sakurai may be put-off by a language barrier, but if he wants Banjo-Kazooie or another Western character, he'll get them. He probably would've added them in Melee, even, since he said he knew people would expect them to be a natural addition/whatever but he couldn't add them due to legal reasons. If he wants them now, he'll just get a translator, and it's not the only time he'd have someone translate for him, as he had someone do so at E3 in the Treehouse and maybe even the main presentation (I don't remember the specifics).
If they are chosen that im pretty sure that all Phil Spencer would have to do is say "Go nuts" and let Sakurai do what he needs to do. With how Phil has been regarding Banjo I doubt he'd want to stick his fingers in the process and just let Sakurai do his thin. Then again I don't know a whole lot about how these types of negotiations would pan out. Again-Again maybe im thinking to hard into it and all it could take would be just an "ok" from Phil and there we go.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
One thing that might be worth dicussing in regards to Shovel Knight: Nintendo actually published his game in Japan.

It's a bit similar to those Rayman Legends trophies we got back in Smash 4. A lot of people were confused by that, but I always thought it made sense: Rayman Legends not only remained a Wii U exclusive in Japan, but it was actually also published by Nintendo there.

So, from that viewpoint, it's sort of a second party Nintendo game, along the lines of The Last Story or Pandora's Tower.
While true for Shovel Knight and Rayman (and by extension, the Rabbids), there's two other Western Third parties of note in Smash with minor roles: Shantae and Bit.Trip Runner.

Now sure, Commander Video works because the Charles Martinet voiced the narrator in one of the games (plus he was designed to be a love letter to the "Nindies" scene back in 2014).

Shantae on the other hand seems like an outlier in this regard. My theory is she was added as a spirit due to her popularity during the ballot and because a new game was in the works during Ultimate.

Back to Banjo, if there was one song from Pilot or Grunty's Revenge you could include, what would it be?

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
You pretty much hit the nail on the head for one of the many reasons why I found myself enjoying Banjo-Kazooie as a kid. I’m sure I’m not the only one, but the fun, colorful, cartoony worlds and characters it promised definitely appealed to 8-year old me.

Well then who better to shake things up and be the first western third party choice than our beloved backpacking bear and bird buddies themselves! It does help that Japan apparently loves Banjo-Kazooie as much as we Westerners do, both Americans and Europeans!
I always figured if Nintendo is possibly a bit hesistant on adding a 3rd Party Western character to the roster, Why not ease them in by adding one they literally owned before has strong Nintendo legacy and familiarity ?

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
And besides. Ignoring the west means a large chunk of video game history will be straight up ignored in smash. And when smash is supposed to be celebrating all things gaming. That's an awful lot of gaming you are leaving out.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
My only question is - do we know of Sakurai's personal thoughts on Banjo-Kazooie? I'm asking since he has praised both Minecraft and Halo 2 (alongside Half Life 2) before. I'm not asking because of any possible discomfirmations or whatever, I'm asking since I'm genuinely curious.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
My only question is - do we know of Sakurai's personal thoughts on Banjo-Kazooie? I'm asking since he has praised both Minecraft and Halo 2 (alongside Half Life 2) before. I'm not asking because of any possible discomfirmations or whatever, I'm asking since I'm genuinely curious.
As far as I know, he mainly said concerning Banjo & Kazooie that back in the Melee days he considered both them and James Bond from GoldenEye 007, but there’d be a lot of red tape to go through to get them in, probably since Rare was being bought out by Microsoft around Melee’s development and it would’ve been too much hassle to get them in. As for how he feels about the characters in general, I have no clue if he’s ever mentioned them positively but I’m sure if he played the games he’d enjoy them as much as any other game.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
And besides. Ignoring the west means a large chunk of video game history will be straight up ignored in smash. And when smash is supposed to be celebrating all things gaming. That's an awful lot of gaming you are leaving out.
As big as a fan of Nintendo I am and can understand they want to be more "Traditional" ,It's still frustrating at times at times on how less of an input the West has considering how big of an impact sales wise we are.

I mean Nintendo really only has 2 "Major" western studios in the US (Retro Studios and Next Level Games) While Retro is fully owned by Nintendo ,NLG is 2nd Party as they are independent ,But exclusively work with Nintendo just like Game Freak and HAL Laboratory's, I also think it's kind of sad that they haven't had a major precense in Europe since Rareware was bought out and I believe to this day they still don't.

Sony I guess has a different philosophy since they are also Japanese ,But still have several major western studios in America and to a lesser extent Europe.

Last edited:
At the very least it’s encouraging that he acknowledged the demand for Banjo

SKX31

Smash Master
We're pretty likely to get that stream of iconic Western characters trickling in soon enough. I don't see Smash ending any time soon (I don't think Sakurai's retirement will stop that when Smash is a mega business and money printer. That said, Nintendo probably wants to have a heir for Sakurai, just like they've prepped one for Miyamoto), and the number of remaining huge Japanese names... yea, there isn't a large number left.

Smash lives on hype - that's been literally its DNA for every single game. And you need to continue to tap that hype well from somewhere. Part of the reason I think all three main Microsoft characters makes it through eventually (regardless of who gets in first). Eventually is not a comforting word in this context though. Doesn't say how long it could take. It's a case of one character leading to another etc.

If that means we're getting characters like Lara Croft (Western developed, owned by S-E nowadays)? Extremely unlikely now, but I wouldn't count her out over the real long term. Perhaps in the 2030s? :p

It's also part of why I'm pretty certain we'll see a non-video game character eventually. Eventually (like really down the line. Smash 6 at the very least, much more likely beyond) being the key word here. Can only see that becoming a major possibility when the well of really big video game characters total have been drained almost dry.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Yeah, I do think the problem with exclusively relying on Japanese franchises for third party inclusions is that we're pretty much almost out of all the really big 'heavy-hitters'.

Dragon Quest is pretty much the last super major JP franchise not repped in some form in Ultimate, and we know that is almost guranteed to be happening. Aside from that, I do think Resident Evil has a lot of merit. There's a part of me that would kinda like to see Heihachi from Tekken, but Sakurai has shot him down before, but I suppose that didn't stop Ridley or Pac-Man...

But yeah, besides those, I struggle to think of any other JP third party series that feels significant enough or fitting. Stuff like Ninja Gaiden, Yo-kai Watch, No More Heroes and so on don't really feel like big enough deals to me.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I mean don't get me wrong, the language barrier is definitely a valid argument, but I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen people take a quote from Sakurai about "Smash having a lot of icons of Japanese gaming" to mean "Sakurai wants to keep Smash out of reach of western impurities" or something similar. Crash Bandicoot has always been one of my most wanted characters, and is currently my second most wanted that isn't already in, and I saw that kind of sentiment more than I'd care to admit, lol. Granted a lot of it was from some hardcore otaku posters, but still.

Honestly I'm hoping for the day any sort of western-made franchise (since Diddy, K. Rool, and Dark Samus were "safe" in this regard) gets a character in Smash just so the argument is dead, you know? Shovel Knight being an Assist is at least a step in the direction of the language barrier not mattering too much.

What’s the Smash Bubble?
In general, it deals with the idea that the hardcore Smash fanbase (the ones who would be more likely to vote on ballot exit polls and post on forums) and the more casual fanbase have certain disconnects, leading to certain characters appearing much more popular on forums than among the general audience.

I think there's merit to the idea, but I think many go about it the wrong way. Namely, I don't think characters at the very top of online polls are as affected. After all, Sakurai's statement about K. Rool shows us that there was a strong correlation between online polls and the Smash ballot when it came to him, and K. Rool was absolutely crushing the ballot exit polls. That's why I don't think the Smash Bubble argument can be used against Banjo either.

I do, however, think there's a bigger case for certain characters being bigger outside the bubble, but not all of the ones people claim. For an example of one already in the game, Isabelle is a juggernaut of popularity among the general Nintendo fanbase, up there with Nintendo's biggest icons, but she wasn't nearly as popular among the more hardcore Smash fanbase. Granted, there aren't too many characters like this. Steve is probably the biggest I can think of.

Hell, come to think of it, K. Rool and Isabelle are probably the best analogues to Banjo and Steve. The former of each are massive fan favorites in spite of being out of the public eye for a while, while the latter of each group are hugely popular modern successes that have mass casual appeal, but get a more tepid reception among the hardcore fanbase.

The main characters that I think get hurt by the Bubble effect are characters like Krystal and Takamaru, who have smaller-than-top-tier but notable popularity among the hardcore fans but are borderline no names to the casual crowd.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Yeah, I do think the problem with exclusively relying on Japanese franchises for third party inclusions is that we're pretty much almost out of all the really big 'heavy-hitters'.

Dragon Quest is pretty much the last super major JP franchise not repped in some form in Ultimate, and we know that is almost guranteed to be happening. Aside from that, I do think Resident Evil has a lot of merit. There's a part of me that would kinda like to see Heihachi from Tekken, but Sakurai has shot him down before, but I suppose that didn't stop Ridley or Pac-Man...

But yeah, besides those, I struggle to think of any other JP third party series that feels significant enough or fitting. Stuff like Ninja Gaiden, Yo-kai Watch, No More Heroes and so on don't really feel like big enough deals to me.
I mean I wouldn't say it's guaranteed. We are acting like square enix is super generous. For all we know Nintendo might not want to pay the bill when SE knows the ball is in their court for the last iconic series in Japan.

D

Deleted member

Why the sudden rise of visitors? is there any updates regarding the rumors?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some interesting developments...fingers, toes, wings, paws and claws crossed!

Am I crazy or for something that's a banjo support thread, it seems to be attracting a lot of people who don't support him.
Fair point, although with large developments you'll get people from all over chiming in to see what is going down.

But some of the continuous condescending and high horse, moral high ground crap belongs in the misanthropic, neurotic cesspools also known as the Smashboards social threads, GameFaqs and the like. You just tune out when meaningful and jovial conversations are halted by "nit-pickiness" and what not.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Why the sudden rise of visitors? is there any updates regarding the rumors?
The Cuphead announcement might play a part - the fact that Nintendo's working closely with Microsoft to get a game that was formerly console-exclusive to the Xbox One onto the Switch (and rumour has it that they're doing the same thing for Ori and the Blind Forest) probably has peoples' hopes up that there will be more developments like that, particularly when it comes to Banjo in Smash, or Rare games returning to Nintendo consoles.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
The Cuphead announcement might play a part - the fact that Nintendo's working closely with Microsoft to get a game that was formerly console-exclusive to the Xbox One onto the Switch (and rumour has it that they're doing the same thing for Ori and the Blind Forest) probably has peoples' hopes up that there will be more developments like that, particularly when it comes to Banjo in Smash, or Rare games returning to Nintendo consoles.
This will never stop being funny to me.

1553116177212.png

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Cuphead definitely had an effect, but I think king zell of ResetEra also helped spark the flame. At least for me, it did.

The only thing that really is on the same level of "seeing Mario in a Playstation console" is most likely Halo.

Honestly before zell's comments here I gave up on Banjo, and pretty much the idea of seeing Rare IPs/characters in general returning to Nintendo consoles (besides, you know, the ones Big N themselves own...), but seeing zell, who is pretty much considered to be most reliable and trustworthy insider of all around Era, suggesting that Nintendo and Microsoft may be planning more together beyond just Minecraft, is what rekindled that hope. If Halo comes to Switch, then all bets are off and any Microsoft IP, particurly the Rare ones, can join in on the fun, provided they can run on the thing.

I honestly don't know how or if it will affect Smash, but it's still something.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I feel like Microsoft's strategy is testing the waters with porting their smaller indie exclusives to Nintendo Switch and if prove successful they will dig deeper into their pockets potentially try Rare IP's on Switch such as Rare Replay or maybe even Banjo-Kazooie and if things really take off the biggest thing they can do is letting their big 1-2 Punch in Halo and Gears of War get some exposure such as ports towards Nintendo's install base.

Step 1: Indie Exclusives
Step 2: Rare IP's
Step 3: Microsoft's 1-2 Punch (Halo and Gears of War)

Again pure speculation, But possible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom