• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Rare doesn't exactly have control of the IP anymore, so this is pretty much wasting their time. Sure, giving it to the team who essentially made the original games(as Playtonic is mostly from early Rare employees) sounds like an interesting idea, but only if Microsoft is interesting in reviving the IP. I could see Gregg helping out to make sure it feels like a Banjo game, though. Since he still works under Microsoft.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wish they'd at least address the spring update or something. This drought is killing me
I just want to know what we can properly blame, Nintendo, Sakurai, ATLUS, some combination of the three? That is assuming bupkis happens until the 24th (which is "before the end of April").

Taking time to make sure a character works properly is fine and all, but surely it can't be this hard to give out a street date when the deadline's nearly here?

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Rare doesn't exactly have control of the IP anymore, so this is pretty much wasting their time. Sure, giving it to the team who essentially made the original games(as Playtonic is mostly from early Rare employees) sounds like an interesting idea, but only if Microsoft is interesting in reviving the IP. I could see Gregg helping out to make sure it feels like a Banjo game, though. Since he still works under Microsoft.
It's Gregg who has no interest in really working on Banjo anymore.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's Gregg who has no interest in really working on Banjo anymore.
That's too bad. Still doesn't change that it's hard up to Microsoft before the IP can be used, since they're the owners of it, not him. Which was more my point, anyway.

Well, even if Microsoft gives it to Playtonic, it won't be the same as one would expect. It's like continuing Smash without Sakurai. Game can still be amazing, but it won't be the same.

D

Deleted member

Hey guys I don’t know if it was said here but polar panda said that rare replay would be coming to the switch
There was a problem fetching the tweet
And when I see that happening the more I think banjo would be an advertisement for this. Just like joker for p5r

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hey guys I don’t know if it was said here but polar panda said that rare replay would be coming to the switch
And when I see that happening the more I think banjo would be an advertisement for this. Just like joker for p5r
That's expected by most people, so I don't think Polar would be shot down by suits, thankfully.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
It seems like most Banjo-Kazooie fans including myself are cool with Master Chief getting in Smash considering he is the face of the Xbox brand for Microsoft and is a gaming icon, Would I be disappointed if he's chosen over Banjo-Kazooie? Yes, But I would not be surprised if they went that direction from a business standpoint.

I don't have much of a history with the Halo franchise since I grew up on Nintendo, The most exposure I have ever had was using guest character Arbiter from Halo in Killer Instinct as he was part of my 1-2 punch along with Riptor, But it's one series that I've been meaning tackle with the Master Chief collection when I did at one point have an Xbox or even better if it appears on Switch in some capacity as that is my current system.

Not gonna happen since you would want the main protagonist representing the franchise in Smash, But playing as Arbiter in Killer Instinct made me a fan of him and would rather have him over MC, No offense to MC ,But I think Arbiter's Alien Reptile design appeals to me and looks so much more badass than MC's full on tank suit of armor.

Though it would be cool to see Samus vs Master Chief.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I don't think P5 is coming to Switch any time soon, and I don't think he's an advertisement in that sense.

I'm starting to think that Nintendo went to various companies in this DLC and worked with them on selecting a character that both would like to see in Smash in an attempt to strengthen their working relationships. Atlus worked closely with Nintendo on SMTxFE.

If my theory holds true, you could quite easily see characters from Ubisoft, Microsoft, Bethesda and Koei Tecmo.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think P5 is coming to Switch any time soon, and I don't think he's an advertisement in that sense.

I'm starting to think that Nintendo went to various companies in this DLC and worked with them on selecting a character that both would like to see in Smash in an attempt to strengthen their working relationships. Atlus worked closely with Nintendo on SMTxFE.

If my theory holds true, you could quite easily see characters from Ubisoft, Microsoft, Bethesda and Koei Tecmo.
And SNK. Weirdly enough I haven't heard anything about them wanting their stuff in Smash, especially given that they had no problems allowing a Japanese-only Square-Enix character in SNK Heroines.

Also, if one really believes Joker has to promote something Nintendo-related, I don't see why Persona Q2 doesn't get brought up much.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I think it's just pessimism talking. But we are thinking Nintendo wants to sell us advertisements instead of wanted characters. I think that's where the whole "characters need to promote something" came from.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I think it's just pessimism talking. But we are thinking Nintendo wants to sell us advertisements instead of wanted characters. I think that's where the whole "characters need to promote something" came from.
That and at the end of the day it's a business for any major gaming company.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And part of that is pleasing your fans, that are also your customer base. Even a heartless husk like Konami acknowledges that sooner or later.
They literally just did for the Yugioh TCG players. Saying for the most part, the playerbase seems quite happy, so don't intend to make a huge list for the next Forbidden/Limited List.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I think whether a classic/modern design is used is based on a) what fans like b) what the IP owners demand. For Banjo & Kazooie, I think the preference would be their classic N64 incarnation, since it's their legacy that makes them most suitable for Smash, and Microsoft has been all about giving the fans what they want, so I could see them being more hands off when it comes to demands.

As for Playtonic--the character designs were great, some interesting ideas. The main issues with the game is some glitchy/wonky behavior, and sparse worlds, which I attribute to Playtonic having to start a company from scratch with limited resources, less to do with their creative abilities. I was impressed with the way Yooka-Laylee looked, given it's an indie developed 3D platformer. If they got the resources, I bet they would make a better Banjo game than Rare--especially since Gregg wants nothing to do with the series any more. The love for Banjo seems solely with Playtonic now, and whoever would develop a new game would have to have that passion.

Which is why a new Banjo game is the lowest on my list of wants. 1) Banjo in Smash 2) Rare Replay and/or N64 classic with Rare titles 3) new Banjo-Kazooie game. Sakurai would handle the IP best, a port would make it easier to play the classic games without any needed new bells and whistles, and it's just a riskier proposition with a new game, given Rare's lack of interest and Playtonic needing to prove themselves.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I feel like the wait for Mewtwo was more tolerable because we actually knew how Mewtwo played and looked. Joker is still as unknown as he was when announced.
Perhaps, but I'd counter with that while people generally knew how Mewtwo would play, he was, apart from maybe Mega Man, far and away the most requested addition for Smash 4 we actually ended up getting. Plus last time we didn't have a character release halfway between him and base.

People seem to overthink Nintendo's thought process when choosing third-party DLC, when really it just seems to be about picking notable characters who will attract disparate fanbases, often those that aren't super Nintendo-oriented.

I just want to know what we can properly blame, Nintendo, Sakurai, ATLUS, some combination of the three? That is assuming bupkis happens until the 24th (which is "before the end of April").

Taking time to make sure a character works properly is fine and all, but surely it can't be this hard to give out a street date when the deadline's nearly here?
Blame? Nintendo, I guess, but this is par for the course; it's basically what happened last time. Except not as bad. And iirc, last time the majority of the DLC wasn't dated until the day of release.

People don't seem to be aware of/remember Nintendo handles these things...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
People seem to overthink Nintendo's thought process when choosing third-party DLC, when really it just seems to be about picking notable characters who will attract disparate fanbases, often those that aren't super Nintendo-oriented.

Blame? Nintendo, I guess, but this is par for the course; it's basically what happened last time. Except not as bad. And iirc, last time the majority of the DLC wasn't dated until the day of release.

People don't seem to be aware of/remember Nintendo handles these things...
I mean, if it was purely for marketing reasons, we would have gotten Lightning instead of Cloud, for instance.

We know which time the season pass deal ends. A least that's some sort of improvement from last time...

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I think whether a classic/modern design is used is based on a) what fans like b) what the IP owners demand. For Banjo & Kazooie, I think the preference would be their classic N64 incarnation, since it's their legacy that makes them most suitable for Smash, and Microsoft has been all about giving the fans what they want, so I could see them being more hands off when it comes to demands.

As for Playtonic--the character designs were great, some interesting ideas. The main issues with the game is some glitchy/wonky behavior, and sparse worlds, which I attribute to Playtonic having to start a company from scratch with limited resources, less to do with their creative abilities. I was impressed with the way Yooka-Laylee looked, given it's an indie developed 3D platformer. If they got the resources, I bet they would make a better Banjo game than Rare--especially since Gregg wants nothing to do with the series any more. The love for Banjo seems solely with Playtonic now, and whoever would develop a new game would have to have that passion.

Which is why a new Banjo game is the lowest on my list of wants. 1) Banjo in Smash 2) Rare Replay and/or N64 classic with Rare titles 3) new Banjo-Kazooie game. Sakurai would handle the IP best, a port would make it easier to play the classic games without any needed new bells and whistles, and it's just a riskier proposition with a new game, given Rare's lack of interest and Playtonic needing to prove themselves.
This is my mentality as well, Even though Indie games don't really interest me with the sole exception Yooka-Laylee, Obviously this game was going to grab my attention seeing how most of the team are Ex-Rare employees and were behind Banjo-Kazooie, I still have been meaning to play it even though most of the reaction I've have seen is mixed ,But this game is still likely up my alley and will get enjoyment out of it, I haven't played it yet because I want a physical copy (Yes I know Limited Run made some) ,But man I wish it was available in the same capacity and price of it's Xbox/PS4 counterparts.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Some updates about Joker:
1553975895603.png
They changed Joker's "Approaching" message, it no longer says April.
BUT. Some people are being a little bit on the nose about something happening at the PAX tournament.

Possible "available now"? Possibly more news?

Last edited:

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
Some updates about Joker:
View attachment 202737
They changed Joker's "Approaching" message, it no longer says April.
BUT. Some people are being a little bit on the nose about something happening at the PAX tournament.
Hmmm... that would be a pretty cool announcement

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
At most 2 of the 7 DLC characters in the last game were promo characters (Bayo/Corrin). We also had major fan favorites in Cloud and Mewtwo (as well as sort of Lucas).

I do expect one of these DLC characters could be a promo. Most likely a Pokemon. But whether or not Banjo is one of them, we are absolutely going to get SOME fan favorites.

Justin Little

Smash Ace

What people don't care to realize is that Playtonic started out with a small team, and they slowly started getting their main players back during development. Considering how good the game did turn out in that limited 2-year span, I have faith in Playtonic in giving us a much better game with the team they have now.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
It seems like most Banjo-Kazooie fans including myself are cool with Master Chief getting in Smash considering he is the face of the Xbox brand for Microsoft and is a gaming icon.
Sadly, I'm one of the probably very few who would feel rather conflicted having Chief in Smash, but it's not that he doesn't deserve a spot. (He's kind of a big deal lol)

You see, for me anyway, aesthetics play a massive role in this series.
I know it's nitpicky, but I just don't think certain characters look like they mesh with the general design and feel of Smash.

To be honest, and I may be murdered for saying this, there's already a select few fighters who I feel don't fit in solely based on their appearance, some are Snake, Bayonetta and even Ridley. *I'm sorry*
The first two just seem too "real" to me, and Ridley looks too savage/downright scary.

I know they look the way they do because that's how they are. They come from settings/worlds that are much more serious than the others. It's what makes them who they are and I appreciate it. Sometimes though, it kinda hurts the mood for me in a match is all.
Really, Master Chief isn't as awkward to me as some others, (kinda has a Samus vibe going for him) but it would just seem weird having a "random" realistic soldier throwing down against a hedgehog, a monkey and a chubby Italian who shoots fire lol.

All that said, I'm not actively against the Chief in Smash. He'd find a way to blend as everyone else has. He'd just feel a bit weird to me lol.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The main thing with Chief is that Sakurai needs to nail his personality, since the guy wears his suit 24/7.

What people don't care to realize is that Playtonic started out with a small team, and they slowly started getting their main players back during development. Considering how good the game did turn out in that limited 2-year span, I have faith in Playtonic in giving us a much better game with the team they have now.
With that in mind, will they take the Shovel Knight route and lobby to include Y-L in indie games as crossover guests for a few years, to help get funds?

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I think Master Chief is at least one of more respectable and wanted Microsoft reps. There would be less salt if Master Chief gets in.

If Steve gets in, the salt would be real and it would be a slap in the face.
This would never happen but in the chance it did, how would you guys as Banjo fans feel if Conker made it in before Banjo or any other Rare character? I don't know I'm just curious to learn about the relationship between Banjo fans and Conker. Would he be a respectable choice like Master Chief?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Goddamn that whole Joker thing just shows how damn thirsty we are
At least Zinith Zinith will be distracted for the next 20 days, since Crafted World dropped.

This would never happen but in the chance it did, how would you guys as Banjo fans feel if Conker made it in before Banjo or any other Rare character? I don't know I'm just curious to learn about the relationship between Banjo fans and Conker. Would he be a respectable choice like Master Chief?
Somewhat, but I think that the Battletoads would have seniority over him, if anything.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Sadly, I'm one of the probably very few who would feel rather conflicted having Chief in Smash, but it's not that he doesn't deserve a spot. (He's kind of a big deal lol)

I know it's nitpicky, but I just don't think certain characters look like they mesh with the general design and feel of Smash.

To be honest, and I may be murdered for saying this, there's already a select few fighters who I feel don't fit in solely based on their appearance, some are Snake, Bayonetta and even Ridley. *I'm sorry*
The first two just seem too "real" to me, and Ridley looks too savage/downright scary.

I know they look the way they do because that's how they are. They come from settings/worlds that are much more serious than the others. It's what makes them who they are and I appreciate it. Sometimes though, it kinda hurts the mood for me in a match is all.
Really, Master Chief isn't as awkward to me as some others, (kinda has a Samus vibe going for him) but it would just seem weird having a "random" realistic soldier throwing down against a hedgehog, a monkey and a chubby Italian who shoots fire lol.

All that said, I'm not actively against the Chief in Smash. He'd find a way to blend as everyone else has. He'd just feel a bit weird to me lol.
No, I can totally understand how some fans feel that way about more Mature/Serious fighters who feel more "Grounded", I'm kind of the same way, But it doesn't bother me as much, As I mentioned before that my favorite archtype of video game characters are cartoony platformer mascots such as Mario, Donkey Kong, Banjo-Kazooie and Crash Bandicoot.

A more realistic serious fighter kind of breaks the mold and atmosphere that the others are trying to establish and if it's overdone you get something along the lines of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale a game that is kind of a mish mash of very different and random characters and worlds that lack cohesion.

Excluding Banjo-Kazooie, If I can only choose between Master Chief and Steve then I would choose MC in a heartbeat as he is the face of Xbox and his design is way more appealing and badass.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
No, I can totally understand how some fans feel that way about more Mature/Serious fighters who feel more "Grounded", I'm kind of the same way as I mentioned before that my favorite archtype of video game characters are cartoony platformer mascots such as Mario, Donkey Kong, Banjo-Kazooie and Crash Bandicoot.

A more realistic serious fighter kind of breaks the mold and atmosphere that the others are trying to establish and if it's overdone you get something along the lines of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale a game that is kind of a mish mash of very different characters and worlds that lack cohesion.
The best way to go on about it is to have mature-looking fighters with larger-than-life personalities. Snake straddles the line, but Bayonetta nails it.

Meanwhile, people like Kratos seem a little too serious for that kind of shindig.

SKX31

Smash Master

No, I can totally understand how some fans feel that way about more Mature/Serious fighters who feel more "Grounded", I'm kind of the same way as I mentioned before that my favorite archtype of video game characters are cartoony platformer mascots such as Mario, Donkey Kong, Banjo-Kazooie and Crash Bandicoot.

A more realistic serious fighter kind of breaks the mold and atmosphere that the others are trying to establish and if it's overdone you get something along the lines of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale a game that is kind of a mish mash of very different characters and worlds that lack cohesion.
Yea, I understand where you're coming from. Thing is, it's inherently subjective - not only what one prefers, but also how to best solve it. It's worth remembering that Nintendo's roster of games and characters (first, second and third party) is so vast and varied precisely because they've developed consoles - and published / hosted games on them - for over 30 years and counting. Smash 64 did come out when the NES was already 14-15 years old*. And although neither Samus nor Captain Falcon wear realistic clothes, they're realistically proportioned appearing in the same game as Pikachu and Jigglypuff. So consistency wasn't a priority amongst Sakurai and the development teams. Snake was considered for Melee too, and he is heavily inspired by Snake Plisken (Escape from New York's hero). Smash isn't that cohesive either, but I'd argue it handles that much better than PSASBR does.

It's okay to prefer the cartoony stuff over the real or whatever. What I'm saying is, huge crossovers like Smash often feature this clash of styles precisely because most huge crossovers will draw from so many different things. Who Framed Roger Rabbit's a great example of this clash, although it handles it a bit differently than Smash does.

*(The NES had its share of more serious / semi-realistic games, like Ninja Gaiden and Prince of Persia. Contra isn't realistic, but features Arnold / Stallone inspired supersoldiers as the playable characters.)

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
No, I can totally understand how some fans feel that way about more Mature/Serious fighters who feel more "Grounded", I'm kind of the same way, But it doesn't bother me as much, As I mentioned before that my favorite archtype of video game characters are cartoony platformer mascots such as Mario, Donkey Kong, Banjo-Kazooie and Crash Bandicoot.

A more realistic serious fighter kind of breaks the mold and atmosphere that the others are trying to establish and if it's overdone you get something along the lines of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale a game that is kind of a mish mash of very different and random characters and worlds that lack cohesion.

Excluding Banjo-Kazooie, If I can only choose between Master Chief and Steve then I would choose MC in a heartbeat as he is the face of Xbox and his design is way more appealing and badass.
The best way to go on about it is to have mature-looking fighters with larger-than-life personalities. Snake straddles the line, but Bayonetta nails it.

Meanwhile, people like Kratos seem a little too serious for that kind of shindig.
To me, the Smash roster is already so diverse that seeing mature characters who don't really fit the Smash aesthetic wouldn't phase me. By the way, is there even really a Smash aesthetic in the first place? The point of the series is that it's supposed to be a massive video game cross-over. There's already lots of different art styles in the game and one could argue that there is so much diversity it lacks cohesion, but I don't know.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yea, I understand where you're coming from. Thing is, it's inherently subjective - not only what one prefers, but also how to best solve it. It's worth remembering that Nintendo's roster of games and characters (first, second and third party) is so vast and varied precisely because they've developed consoles - and published / hosted games on them - for over 30 years and counting. Smash 64 did come out when the NES was already 14-15 years old*. And although neither Samus nor Captain Falcon wear realistic clothes, they're realistically proportioned appearing in the same game as Pikachu and Jigglypuff. So consistency wasn't a priority amongst Sakurai and the development teams. Snake was considered for Melee too, and he is heavily inspired by Snake Plisken (Escape from New York's hero). Smash isn't that cohesive either, but I'd argue it handles that much better than PSASBR does.

It's okay to prefer the cartoony stuff over the real or whatever. What I'm saying is, huge crossovers like Smash often feature this clash of styles precisely because most huge crossovers will draw from so many different things. Who Framed Roger Rabbit's a great example of this clash, although it handles it a bit differently than Smash does.

*(The NES had its share of more serious / semi-realistic games, like Ninja Gaiden and Prince of Persia. Contra isn't realistic, but features Arnold / Stallone inspired supersoldiers as the playable characters.)
It also helps that Nintendo acknowledges its history a lot more than Sony does. I mean, when is the last time you have seen anything of theirs reference Ape Escape, for example?

That, and Sony isn't seen as having an inherently kid/family-friendly image, compared to Nintendo.

To me, the Smash roster is already so diverse that seeing mature characters who don't really fit the Smash aesthetic wouldn't phase me. By the way, is there even really a Smash aesthetic in the first place? The point of the series is that it's supposed to be a massive video game cross-over. There's already lots of different art styles in the game and one could argue that there is so much diversity it lacks cohesion, but I don't know.
It just fascinates me when several art styles interact with each other in the same place, to the point that this is partly why Project X Zone as a whole loses its appeal to me, since the priority was largely towards well-toned humanoid characters than anything else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom