• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I mean don't get me wrong, the language barrier is definitely a valid argument, but I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen people take a quote from Sakurai about "Smash having a lot of icons of Japanese gaming" to mean "Sakurai wants to keep Smash out of reach of western impurities" or something similar. Crash Bandicoot has always been one of my most wanted characters, and is currently my second most wanted that isn't already in, and I saw that kind of sentiment more than I'd care to admit, lol. Granted a lot of it was from some hardcore otaku posters, but still.

Honestly I'm hoping for the day any sort of western-made franchise (since Diddy, K. Rool, and Dark Samus were "safe" in this regard) gets a character in Smash just so the argument is dead, you know? Shovel Knight being an Assist is at least a step in the direction of the language barrier not mattering too much.
I agree with that--while there may be a barrier, it's less of a wall and more of a steeper incline. Originally we only had Nintendo characters, then third parties, and now we're seeing more characters that were originally conceived by Western developers currently owned by Nintendo--we're only one more step away from Western developed third party fighters. We can notice that trend, but it's an extra step for some to then conclude that there's a red line Sakurai has, but hasn't stated. Really, the only red line that matters is they must originate in a video game. So while it may be true to say that Western characters are less likely, as there may be that bias and difficulty in doing that business, to say they're ruled out is something else entirely.

My top two characters are Banjo & Kazooie and Crash, both currently owned by Western third parties, so I'm clearly biased. But the trend of more inclusive picks, by origin or current ownership, is encouraging.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I agree with that--while there may be a barrier, it's less of a wall and more of a steeper incline. Originally we only had Nintendo characters, then third parties, and now we're seeing more characters that were originally conceived by Western developers currently owned by Nintendo--we're only one more step away from Western developed third party fighters. We can notice that trend, but it's an extra step for some to then conclude that there's a red line Sakurai has, but hasn't stated. Really, the only red line that matters is they must originate in a video game. So while it may be true to say that Western characters are less likely, as there may be that bias and difficulty in doing that business, to say they're ruled out is something else entirely.

My top two characters are Banjo & Kazooie and Crash, both currently owned by Western third parties, so I'm clearly biased. But the trend of more inclusive picks, by origin or current ownership, is encouraging.
Those are my current top 2 as well, Obviously Banjo-Kazooie, But If I had to pick another legitimate video game all-star it would be Crash Bandicoot since platformers are my favorite genre and I love wacky, cartoon platform animal mascots as their my favorite archtype of video game characters and While I grew up on the N64, I still had some exposure and nostalgia for Playstation icons such as Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Lets just say Banjo is one of my few "might actually have a chance" characters I want.

When Banjo gets in the Phoenix Wright and Heavy thread better get ready because I'm coming for you.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Cuphead definitely had an effect, but I think king zell of ResetEra also helped spark the flame. At least for me, it did.

The only thing that really is on the same level of "seeing Mario in a Playstation console" is most likely Halo.

Honestly before zell's comments here I gave up on Banjo, and pretty much the idea of seeing Rare IPs/characters in general returning to Nintendo consoles (besides, you know, the ones Big N themselves own...), but seeing zell, who is pretty much considered to be most reliable and trustworthy insider of all around Era, suggesting that Nintendo and Microsoft may be planning more together beyond just Minecraft, is what rekindled that hope. If Halo comes to Switch, then all bets are off and any Microsoft IP, particurly the Rare ones, can join in on the fun, provided they can run on the thing.

I honestly don't know how or if it will affect Smash, but it's still something.
I feel like we quote the Smash Bros and Banjo part of the Phil Spencer Interview without including the entire paragraph that led up to it.

"I’d love to see Mario on Xbox," Phil says enthusiastically. "As someone who’s been in this industry and played games forever, I’ll still say it: Nintendo has the strongest first-party of anybody. They’re just fantastic and the memories that they have instilled in so many of us, who’ve played their games and had those delightful experiences, having those on Xbox would be great. Obviously we have Minecraft on Nintendo and when that opportunity came up to work with them on Minecraft, you know, some people might look at it and say ‘why would you even do that?’, but with Nintendo, it’s been a great partnership on Minecraft. In fact they put Mario in Minecraft on Wii U with the mash-up skin pack. And continuing to work with them on that and building a stronger relationship... I mean if that paid dividends down the road that lead to something else, that would be fantastic. I know I get questions all the time on would I ever like to see Banjo in Super Smash Bros. and I’m, like, “yes, I would do that in a second”. And certain people think I’m saying that as some sort of PR answer and I’m, like, why wouldn’t you?

Anyway, I’m a big Nintendo fan and I think they’ve been incredibly important for the games industry, they do a great job with younger audiences, and if we ever had a chance to work with them in the future, I would absolutely do it."
"In fact they put Mario in Minecraft on Wii U with the mash-up skin pack. And continuing to work with them on that and building a stronger relationship... I mean if that paid dividends down the road that lead to something else, that would be fantastic."

I feel like this line is a bit telling considering the sentence to follow involves the line we pay most attention to. Of course these "dividends" could include a lot of things, but he brought up Banjo for Smash Bros right after that, unprovoked. I wonder if that is one of the "dividends" that Phil is hoping to accomplish. Naturally this entails other things like Halo on Switch, Cuphead on Switch, (hopefully) Rare Replay on Switch. What do you all think about this? I feel like the full context of the Banjo line warrants attention.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
According to the website for Persona 5 Royal, the next update in information for that game isn't going to be until April 24th

https://p5r.jp

1553920549890.png

Which means if the theories are true and Nintendo kind of has a gag order on Joker by Atlus, that means we have at least another month till we get any new info Smash related, so Banjo talk might start to pick up around then

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
According to the website for Persona 5 Royal, the next update in information for that game isn't going to be until April 24th

https://p5r.jp

View attachment 202613

Which means if the theories are true and Nintendo kind of has a gag order on Joker by Atlus, that means we have at least another month till we get any new info Smash related, so Banjo talk might start to pick up around then
With how late the February direct was, I wouldn't have been surprised if Nintendo released the new Smash info on the last week of April without Atlus' involvement.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
If Atlus was going to be this super secretive over Joker until his release date he really should have been the 2nd DLC character announced. And he could have been announced as this event. By the time Joker releases it would be close to 5 months without any DLC news except "Joker is coming guys don't worry". And with the way things are looking we might not even get any Joker gameplay till the day he releases.

I just hope this means the rest of the announcements are gonna to come out in a timely manner.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Atlus was going to be this super secretive over Joker until his release date he really should have been the 2nd DLC character announced. And he could have been announced as this event. By the time Joker releases it would be close to 5 months without any DLC news except "Joker is coming guys don't worry". And with the way things are looking we might not even get any Joker gameplay till the day he releases.

I just hope this means the rest of the announcements are gonna to come out in a timely manner.
This is what happened last time, and the impetus was never on The Pokemon Company to say anything about Mewtwo.

Actually last time was longer and quieter, iirc we didn't hear anything from October to April, and all we had to go off was that Mewtwo would be released in "Spring". And then after we got the trailer we still had to wait almost a month to play as him.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Me when Joker was announced: *Incoherent Screams of hype*

Me when the wait for Joker has taken 4 months:

I'm probably guessing Joker is nearly finished at this point, and if there's enough time left over they'd move on to the next DLC character to get a headstart...
Being a future Joker main is suffering.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Me when Joker was announced: *Incoherent Screams of hype*

Me when the wait for Joker has taken 4 months:

I'm probably guessing Joker is nearly finished at this point, and if there's enough time left over they'd move on to the next DLC character to get a headstart...
Being a future Joker main is suffering.
They're probably working on all 5 characters, just at different stages of production. Joker'll just be being balanced at this point (that takes by far the longest when developing fighting game characters), so the employees in charge of modelling and animating, and so on and so forth will be working on other characters.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
This is what happened last time, and the impetus was never on The Pokemon Company to say anything about Mewtwo.

Actually last time was longer and quieter, iirc we didn't hear anything from October to April, and all we had to go off was that Mewtwo would be released in "Spring". And then after we got the trailer we still had to wait almost a month to play as him.
I feel like the wait for Mewtwo was more tolerable because we actually knew how Mewtwo played and looked. Joker is still as unknown as he was when announced.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
They're probably working on all 5 characters, just at different stages of production. Joker'll just be being balanced at this point (that takes by far the longest when developing fighting game characters), so the employees in charge of modelling and animating, and so on and so forth will be working on other characters.
I hope they actually had time to do the characters simultaneously, they can't keep up a schedule of "5 months per character" if they want to reach the street date of Feb 2020. At least two of the characters must be using other ones as bases to make things a little easier.

I feel like the wait for Mewtwo was more tolerable because we actually knew how Mewtwo played and looked. Joker is still as unknown as he was when announced.
That and, there wasn't a designated amount of upcoming characters announced to be coming after him, so people weren't on edge as much.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Well, that was a lot of catching up to do. Leave it to the user with the best evangellion character as their picture to give us the best rumor weve seen in a long time. Not calling Banjo and Kazooie in yet, but things are looking good. If we gotta wait for April 24th for more Joker news, then I gotta start hitting the backlog to keep me entertained in my spare time. Maybe replay Banjo Kazooie for good measure.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Just think of the salt of Banjo being a Mii while Steve or Master Chief gets in.
I think Master Chief is at least one of more respectable and wanted Microsoft reps. There would be less salt if Master Chief gets in.

If Steve gets in, the salt would be real and it would be a slap in the face.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I think Master Chief is at least one of more respectable and wanted Microsoft reps. There would be less salt if Master Chief gets in.

If Steve gets in, the salt would be real and it would be a slap in the face.
Master Chief is one of the most iconic gaming characters of all time, I don't think there'd be that much salt about him getting in before Banjo honestly. He'd be a character who could easily get in on name value alone. Though Other MS reps don't have that kind of name value.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Any of the 3 major Microsoft characters would be an amazing addition anyway. They're all respectable icons as is. To be honest, salt happens no matter what. So I'm not worried about it. If any gets to the point it affects SB, we can all just report posts that go too far, so it's pretty easy to resolve as is.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
I'm sure most of us think Master Chief is a fair trade off. Even if we didn't grow up with Halo.
Plus who says that we can't have 2 DLC's from the same company? These characters are meant to rep the series they came from, not the company. Banjo could rep the iconic series that has endured dispite being labeled a "dead series" and Chief reps Halo, one of the longest running FPS shooters in history. I can definitely see Chief working as a fighter.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Plus who says that we can't have 2 DLC's from the same company? These characters are meant to rep the series they came from, not the company. Banjo could rep the iconic series that has endured dispite being labeled a "dead series" and Chief reps Halo, one of the longest running FPS shooters in history. I can definitely see Chief working as a fighter.
We absolutely could. Most are expecting 1 DLC per company for the Fighter's Pass though. Right now, all we know is we're getting even less DLC than last time, but the other set of DLC(from 4) is also not tied together in some kind of way(the veterans loosely are, but only due to why they were chosen. Beyond that, the rest were just 3rd party additions all with various reasonings). Besides that, all companies were separate DLC outside of 1st party, so many have little reason to believe this is possible.

Patterns affect people a lot. Too many adhere to them without exploring other possibilities, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Hush_

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hushhh
Switch FC
SW-7310-0229-2822
You know, let’s say banjo does come to smash, I feel like I wouldn’t want to pick any other color other than his default color. Anyone else feel like that any other color would just look weird?

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
You know, let’s say banjo does come to smash, I feel like I wouldn’t want to pick any other color other than his default color. Anyone else feel like that any other color would just look weird?

Yeah, I actually prefer to use the default costume over alts in most cases.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It'd be hard to say till we see the costumes in question. Sometimes better ones exist. For Cloud fans, they may prefer his Advent Children design. Or Pac-Man with his oven mitts. Maybe the MegaMan color they want is based upon their favorite weapon(as that affects his colors in the series itself). I could go on.

For your examples, I really like the red and purple costumes myself.

Last edited:

Banjo fits so perfectly in Smash it’s almost insulting that he hasn’t made it yet haha

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace

I can see myself using a grunty alt. Banjo with black fur, striped purple shorts and pack, with a green kazooie. If there's one thing I want out of future smash updates (other than banjo of course) it more alts for characters. Maybe bring back some cut ones (fire Mario, black yoshi, half of little Macs lost alts from 4) or add new ones.
I'd dish out some cash if they made this alt for my main:
ssb5_ridley___super_metroid__sprite__alt_by_zanethedragon_daleau8.png

BZocky

Smash Ace

But what if the default is his Nuts and Bolts design and the next one is his classic?

Hush_

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hushhh
Switch FC
SW-7310-0229-2822
But what if the default is his Nuts and Bolts design and the next one is his classic?
Classic all the way. The nuts and bolts design tbh is nice too but I always never think of that design when talking about banjo

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I believe Sakurai said in a tweet that the next DLC reveal would introduce both the character and the stage at the same time. So clearly Joker is a special case

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I believe Sakurai said in a tweet that the next DLC reveal would introduce both the character and the stage at the same time. So clearly Joker is a special case
From my understanding, him being at The Game Awards was mainly unplanned for. A full trailer and such was never ready. I doubt anybody else was ready to show off either.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Sakurai always prioritizes classic designs with third parties outside of a few oddballs like Sonic being his modern design.
There's not really any consistency at all regarding 3rd party designs

Mega Man: classic
Pac-Man: classic
Ken: classic

snake:modern (at time of inclusion kinda)
Bayo: modern
Ryu: modern
Sonic: modern

Simon:new/amalgamation (sorta)
Richter:new/amalgamation (sorta)

Cloud/Joker are really all they can be though.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Tbf, Bayo has her classic design as an alt, but yeah, that's pretty much it.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

Ryu is as classic as you can get though. It's not like his design changed a whole lot.

Bayo still got her classic skin. And an amiibo for that skin. It just isn't her default. But it's still there. Pretty sure they just went with her new design because her game just released at the time.

Snake I really can't explain. They just went with the more well known design.

Richter/Simon are just reimagines of the classic designs.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Though Sonic is a combination of Classic and Modern. He uses the Modern physical design, but was mostly all Classic abilities. The only notable thing is Ultimate updated a move to be their Modern depiction(Homing Attack). He's still Classic in all but physical design and a couple moves(his Down Air is pretty much Shadow Rocket). It seems like Sega wanted to push his Modern design, but had no issues with the moveset being mainly about his Classic abilities. It's still kind of funny it took till Ultimate to update his Homing Attack to the first Modern overhaul(as it originated in Sonic 3D Blast, a Classic game. The first change it ever had of note was in Unleashed, where you had to wait to lock on. It otherwise was instantaneous).

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Since Banjo-Kazooie's recent merchandise uses their classic design, I'd be surprised if they went back to using their N&B design when it just seems to disappoint people.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, that was a lot of catching up to do. Leave it to the user with the best evangellion character as their picture to give us the best rumor weve seen in a long time. Not calling Banjo and Kazooie in yet, but things are looking good. If we gotta wait for April 24th for more Joker news, then I gotta start hitting the backlog to keep me entertained in my spare time. Maybe replay Banjo Kazooie for good measure.
I've recently got back to The Silver Case myself. It's an interesting game.

Though Sonic is a combination of Classic and Modern. He uses the Modern physical design, but was mostly all Classic abilities. The only notable thing is Ultimate updated a move to be their Modern depiction(Homing Attack). He's still Classic in all but physical design and a couple moves(his Down Air is pretty much Shadow Rocket). It seems like Sega wanted to push his Modern design, but had no issues with the moveset being mainly about his Classic abilities. It's still kind of funny it took till Ultimate to update his Homing Attack to the first Modern overhaul(as it originated in Sonic 3D Blast, a Classic game. The first change it ever had of note was in Unleashed, where you had to wait to lock on. It otherwise was instantaneous).
Fun fact: every pre-Joker guest character that's been introduced after Brawl skews more towards their classic character designs rather than modern ones (except :ultbayonetta:, who is modern/a Millenial to start with, relatively speaking).

Basically, it's like they were trying to get their footing for the first two third parties, so as it happens they managed to get the two characters that people wouldn't mind seeing altered too much.

I would like to see the tweet in question, please.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Ryu is as classic as you can get though. It's not like his design changed a whole lot.

Bayo still got her classic skin. And an amiibo for that skin. It just isn't her default. But it's still there. Pretty sure they just went with her new design because her game just released at the time.

Snake I really can't explain. They just went with the more well known design.

Richter/Simon are just reimagines of the classic designs.
Ryu hasn't changed much in what he wears but his face/head sure has.

Its small things mostly, but he's definitely based on SF4/5 as opposed to his more iconic SF2 look.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Snake's design is MGS2 plus a better beard, so I guess it depends on what you consider Snake's classic design (MGS, MGS2, or even the original Metal Gear).
But, since the classic games are overhwlmingly popular over N&B, I have no doubts Banjo would be having his classic look. I cant find it, but there was a seires of possible banjo alts that I thought were pretty cool. I liked the banjo recolor that made Banjo and Kazooie have the same colors as duck hunt. Unless they have that, I'll probably just main regular Banjo Kazooie.

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
I wish they'd at least address the spring update or something. This drought is killing me

Top Bottom