• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
explanation.jpg
^There is my summary of what happened with the DM messages about Banjo and Steve, figured you guys might want to see that. I hope its not too confusing.

Sadly in the end I guess its just rumors, still rumors are something and they seem to be coming from someone who could hear legit info so hopefully things work out for banjo in the end.

and here's the censored DM message again for reference:
1.png

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Hello, You remember me from time to time and i would like to ask did i ask to join the banjo thread?, if not then i would love too.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
View attachment 202358
^There is my summary of what happened with the DM messages about Banjo and Steve, figured you guys might want to see that. I hope its not too confusing.

Sadly in the end I guess its just rumors, still rumors are something and they seem to be coming from someone who could hear legit info so hopefully things work out for banjo in the end.

and here's the censored DM message again for reference:
View attachment 202360
Hey I'll take a Steve deconfirm any day. Keep at it, bud.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Hey I'll take a Steve deconfirm any day. Keep at it, bud.
I don't think this is anywhere near a Steve disconfirm. More like, in a really close race between Banjo and Steve, Banjo finally nudged ahead just a bit.

Don't put so much stock in these rumors as to end up disappointing yourselves later down the line.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
I don't think this is anywhere near a Steve disconfirm. More like, in a really close race between Banjo in Steve, Banjo finally nudged ahead just a bit.

Don't put so much stock in these rumors as to end up disappointing yourselves later down the line.
I know, I'm a big boy, I know how it goes.
Big takeaway at least from this is the words "They don't want Steve to be the face of Minecraft" I'm paraphrasing a bit but that stuck out.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I don't think this is anywhere near a Steve disconfirm. More like, in a really close race between Banjo in Steve, Banjo finally nudged ahead just a bit.

I remember when the Grinch leak happened, so many people took it as an opportunity to dump on Steve--and I saw that, saying "This isn't 100%, you don't want this backfiring on you." And then it backfired. Stay hopeful, but stay humble.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I remember when the Grinch leak happened, so many people took it as an opportunity to dump on Steve--and I saw that, saying "This isn't 100%, you don't want this backfiring on you." And then it backfired. Stay hopeful, but stay humble.
There's a reason I never supported Banjo vocally, even if he was secretly my most wanted never-ever.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I just want all these rumors to end with an announcement already. The possibility of waiting till E3 for the announcement of DLC #2 is going to kill me. I need some sort of closure and soon. At least Steve would mean I can stop worrying if Banjo is going to get in instead of being this anxious mess the whole fighter pass.
1552235188118.png

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I imagine they'll reveal the next character at the same time they release Joker. If it's to believed that Erdrick is next it might mean the NEXT character after him is the E3 character. That would mean Erdrick would release around E3 and the next character would be revealed around that time. Pretty safe bet to be honest.

I think E3 could definitely be Banjo though, if he's in. Microsoft is one of the few surviving press conferences since EA, Nintendo, and Sony have backed out. Would be cool to see them and Nintendo share some stuff across their announcements. Game Pass on Switch for the Xbox Stage and Banjo in Smash for the Direct. Or something like that. Would be pretty neat.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
I imagine they'll reveal the next character at the same time they release Joker. If it's to believed that Erdrick is next it might mean the NEXT character after him is the E3 character. That would mean Erdrick would release around E3 and the next character would be revealed around that time. Pretty safe bet to be honest.

I think E3 could definitely be Banjo though, if he's in. Microsoft is one of the few surviving press conferences since EA, Nintendo, and Sony have backed out. Would be cool to see them and Nintendo share some stuff across their announcements. Game Pass on Switch for the Xbox Stage and Banjo in Smash for the Direct. Or something like that. Would be pretty neat.
Wait, when did Nintendo back out of e3 this year?

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Wait, when did Nintendo back out of e3 this year?
Press conference-wise. Not completely. They've been press conference-less for years so I'm sure this one will be the same. An E3 Direct.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I may not exactly comment on Smashboards that much anymore since Joker's reveal (and the wait for him lol), but if these rumours are true, holy crap two of my dream newcomers joining the battle... Joker and Banjo & Kazooie. A game where we have Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Ryu, Solid Snake, Bayonetta, Simon and Richter Belmont, Joker... and possibly Banjo and Kazooie... If this rumour is true.

This will be amazing to see if it's true.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I have a problem with Banjo being in. Just one.

If he's in that means that leak with Erdrick, Hayabusa, Doom Slayer, and Steve is absolutely busted...

Or probably, anyways.

To be honest... I'm fine with that. 4 Year old me turned on Smash 64 for the first time and said, "Where's Banjo?" and if it means that my dream leak is dead for them to be in, then so be it. I still think Doom Slayer and Hayabusa have a chance, don't get me wrong. I feel like they're some of the biggest third parties not represented in Smash. Bethesda and Koei-Tecmo have been supporting Nintendo to death so I can definitely see them being in talks with Nintendo for this. We'll see. This bodes well for Banjo and that's what really matters right now.

And, hey Strider_Bond00J Strider_Bond00J . It's good to see you around, old friend.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Wasn't that Erdrick/Hayabusa/Doom Slayer/Steve leak debunked a while ago?
It was said to have been an English user on 5chan, an overwhelmingly Japanese website, and that was pretty much it. Not much of a debunk considering it got everything on it right so far...

So far.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Jesus this thread surely is moving fast today lol. Let's hope it can stay like that more often

Also regarding the 5chan stuff... Not sure I would put much money on that leak btw. Remember the "dante leak"? yeah… it got literally stuff right about DMC, but the smash part was just BS. Leakers can mix truth with fake stuff just to make it more believable, still doesn't mean it's gonna be all true.

Last edited:

Turb0k

Smash Cadet
I just want SOMEONE to be confirmed already! This build up to Fighter 2 is KILLING ME! It's like nintendo is shaking the metaphorical Smash Bros soda can, but instead of popping the tab releasing the sweet refreshing information, they just shake the damn can again! They're literally blue-balling us, and I'm starting to lose it!

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

I'm not so sure that we'll only see Game Pass and the Smash reveal. Doesn't have to be for this year either - there's a pretty decent chance they'll bring up other areas they're going to cooperate on, either this year or later down the line. Not neccessarily stuff like improved online though - that would require getting into the nitty gritty on the Switch software and potentially hardware. AFAIK one of the Switch's default online settings is screwed up though (IIRC it's the MTU value, it should be 1500 when it's 1400, but I could be off completely on that).

Nintendo's probably looking to expand the scope of their products. I'm not counting on older games coming to Xbox or PC just yet purely because of how stingy they are with their products*. Unless they feel that they get an absolute guarantee on RoI with Microsoft. Rather, I could see further deepening cooperation, with Nintendo and Microsoft agreeing to further share indies and perhaps even certain second party games. First party's a bit of a major question still. But I think we'll get the answers by E3 on those.

It's a question of "Will the E3 stuff be Major Step #2 or 3 on the road" or "Nintendo and Microsoft decide to go all out." That question has serious implications on not just Banjo - but also the nature of their cooperation the coming 2-3 years at least. Including perhaps further DLC beyond this Fighter Pass.

P.S. I wouldn't read too much into Sony's and EA's absences from E3. Leaning much more towards Sony prepping the PS5 for next year as well as EA setting up their own conference away from Twitch. Not that the latter's going to help much if you ask me, but that's another topic entirely.

(*I could see it in case Nintendo finds their console making business non-viable. When the consoles are sharing more similarities with PCs and the lines between PCs and mobiles blur preparing for a possible future where dedicated game consoles are at best museum objects could be a very smart idea just in case. You see an extreme version of the blurring a lot in sci-fi / predictions about the future, where an interface pops up in front of a person's eyes - sometimes complete with a holgraphic keyboard. EDIT: Microsoft has a couple fall back options already, namely its dominance in the computer market and Internet Explorer for what it's worth.)

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
So... uh... this whole situation definitely feels like a confirmation bias of the community going into overdrive.

Mostly because for as many people who supposedly swore off leakers and rumors when Steve and Erdrick when getting all the attention and were quick to absolutely throw Vergeben in the bin (which I don’t necessarily blame people for, the way he conducts himself isn’t always pleasant), everybody seems to suddenly be getting quite excited off of one person’s comment who isn’t even the more reliable source from PolarPanda.

Now, we as a community have taken her to be a reliable individual in these matters and I’ve always appreciated your transparency with everything. And PapaGenos, you’re also a great dude who just seems to want to be direct and a part of the community. Neither of them deserve any sort of hate and I’m not saying we can’t put faith in them.

But what does this situation really mean? It’s one person who heard rumors who might be credible under the right circumstances... and that’s it. That’s one of the more flimsy pieces of evidence we could have to work with. Hell, at least Erdrick had multiple people backing the idea of his inclusion from an “insider” standpoint.

There’s just not much here to work with and I’m confused why this seems to have blown up on such a scale. This little rumor isn’t why we she be excited as Banjo supporters right now and shouldn’t have a ton of faith placed into it.

No, things like Cuphead on Switch and the Master Chief Collection on Steam are definitive, concrete things you can point to and say, “Now that’s interesting.”

But all of this rumor specific hope seems a little misplaced to me right now at best. We’ve just been forwarded some small info that Papa and Polar received and it’s credibility is still questionable. Let’s take a breath right now.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Am I crazy or for something that's a banjo support thread, it seems to be attracting a lot of people who don't support him.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
So... uh... this whole situation definitely feels like a confirmation bias of the community going into overdrive.

Mostly because for as many people who supposedly swore off leakers and rumors when Steve and Erdrick when getting all the attention and were quick to absolutely throw Vergeben in the bin (which I don’t necessarily blame people for, the way he conducts himself isn’t always pleasant), everybody seems to suddenly be getting quite excited off of one person’s comment who isn’t even the more reliable source from PolarPanda.

Now, we as a community have taken her to be a reliable individual in these matters and I’ve always appreciated your transparency with everything. And PapaGenos, you’re also a great dude who just seems to want to be direct and a part of the community. Neither of them deserve any sort of hate and I’m not saying we can’t put faith in them.

But what does this situation really mean? It’s one person who heard rumors who might be credible under the right circumstances... and that’s it. That’s one of the more flimsy pieces of evidence we could have to work with. Hell, at least Erdrick had multiple people backing the idea of his inclusion from an “insider” standpoint.

There’s just not much here to work with and I’m confused why this seems to have blown up on such a scale. This little rumor isn’t why we she be excited as Banjo supporters right now and shouldn’t have a ton of faith placed into it.

No, things like Cuphead on Switch and the Master Chief Collection on Steam are definitive, concrete things you can point to and say, “Now that’s interesting.”

But all of this rumor specific hope seems a little misplaced to me right now at best. We’ve just been forwarded some small info that Papa and Polar received and it’s credibility is still questionable. Let’s take a breath right now.
I think it's just something to talk about in the meantime. I agree it's important to not get overexcited (and I mentioned waiting for more corroboration), but it's something. If I were to be as critical as possible, I'd say the 5channel rumor has the most to support it (and I say this as someone who'd like that not to come true). Can't speak for everyone else--they can get as excited or skeptical as they feel like.

However, any time Banjo & Kazooie's name is out there, regardless of what initiated it, I'm happy. :grin:

D

Deleted member

I mostly want to see Banjo getting in for the sake of seeing Sakurai pulling another Megaman.

The poor bear should shine at least one more time.

Turb0k

Smash Cadet
Yeah I don't mean to be rude but the 5chan leak is worst case scenario for me. I really couldn't give any less of a crap about any of the characters on that leak. That's just my opinion though. I really hope it's fake because I made the mistake of buying the Fighter Pass, and getting 5 characters I don't care for would make me feel cheated...

No offence to the Ryu/Doomguy/Erdrick/Steve fans.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
What’s the Smash Bubble?
A niche group who's stubborn about character who aren't Isaac/Banjo/Geno.

The term itself, however, is used by a niche group that acts like the public is stubborn about characters who aren't Steve/Sans/Jonesy.

D

Deleted member

With how much Microsoft will be giving to Nintendo, like the Halo MCC and Rare Replay ports for Switch (assuming those rumors pan out), it makes me wonder if it'll go the other way around at some point and we'll see Nintendo IPs on Xbox at some point.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yeah I don't mean to be rude but the 5chan leak is worst case scenario for me. I really couldn't give any less of a crap about any of the characters on that leak. That's just my opinion though. I really hope it's fake because I made the mistake of buying the Fighter Pass, and getting 5 characters I don't care for would make me feel cheated...

I mean, the 5chan leak would actually be quite a damn good lineup from afar in terms of adding notable third parties. Ryu is a NES icon who absolutely deserves to be in alongside Castlevania and Mega Man. Dragon Quest is one of the biggest RPG franchises ever in Japan and responsible for console RPGs as we see them. I feel like Doom is similarly self-explanatory and the most retro FPS rep you could ask for. All three of them are massively influential third party series from the NES/SNES era of gaming and probably deserve a place in Smash to be honest.

The only questionable one of those is Minecraft, and again, the game was the biggest hit of the past decade really and a huge franchise that arguably will be influential.

So, yeah, it would suck for you that you didn’t get anybody you were hoping for... but that lineup could be much, much, much worse. That’s an incredible lineup of third party franchises and important series to add.

Now I don’t believe that leak in the slightest, but I don’t like how some of the rhetoric around SmashBoards seems to vilify those roster additions for not being who they want despite the absolutely massive additions they would be. And three of those are specifically Nintendo nostalgia friendly to boot, so they’d fit well in Smash’s current third party offerings.

Also, I’m sorry you bought the pass, but they explicitly warned fans about it before they put it on sale and all season passes are basically you agreeing to take whatever they release with zero knowledge of the specifics beyond the generals they announce. You agreed to five characters and five stages when you paid for the pass, and you’ll get that. I know it would suck for you personally, but that’s really why they stressed the “only buy it if you’re really sure” in the Direct.

D

Deleted member

I may be an Erdrick supporter, but even I don't take the 5Chan thing seriously.

I am fine with any addition, as much as I want Crash Bandicoot and Eight (at least as Erdrick's Alph) a lot.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

I agree, since I have no connection to any of those characters other than Joker (though, I only have an hour or two in P5 so far). I heeded Sakurai's advice and decided not to get the pass until I knew its contents, especially after the full roster reveal and PP's reveal--definitely made the quality of DLC characters to be on shaky grounds for me.

That being said, if Banjo & Kazooie were announced, I'd get the fighter's pass in a heartbeat even without knowing who else was in it. Especially now that I can't get rid of PP so my ideal roster is already ruined, I'd at least have an incentive to get every character.

Turb0k

Smash Cadet
I mean, the 5chan leak would actually be quite a damn good lineup from afar in terms of adding notable third parties. Ryu is a NES icon who absolutely deserves to be in alongside Castlevania and Mega Man. Dragon Quest is one of the biggest RPG franchises ever in Japan and responsible for console RPGs as we see them. I feel like Doom is similarly self-explanatory and the most retro FPS rep you could ask for. All three of them are massively influential third party series from the NES/SNES era of gaming and probably deserve a place in Smash to be honest.

The only questionable one of those is Minecraft, and again, the game was the biggest hit of the past decade really and a huge franchise that arguably will be influential.

So, yeah, it would suck for you that you didn’t get anybody you were hoping for... but that lineup could be much, much, much worse. That’s an incredible lineup of third party franchises and important series to add.

Now I don’t believe that leak in the slightest, but I don’t like how some of the rhetoric around SmashBoards seems to vilify those roster additions for not being who they want despite the absolutely massive additions they would be. And three of those are specifically Nintendo nostalgia friendly to boot, so they’d fit well in Smash’s current third party offerings.

Also, I’m sorry you bought the pass, but they explicitly warned fans about it before they put it on sale and all season passes are basically you agreeing to take whatever they release with zero knowledge of the specifics beyond the generals they announce. You agreed to five characters and five stages when you paid for the pass, and you’ll get that. I know it would suck for you personally, but that’s really why they stressed the “only buy it if you’re really sure” in the Direct.
Eh. It's no biggie. 25 bucks is pretty cheap for a season pass and having the "full roster" is always nice. I never got to play DOOM growing up (Obsessively Christian household) and Ninja Gaiden has always just been "That One Bull**** Hard Ninja Game" to me. I'm sure they'd make a lot of other people happy though so it's whatever.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Eh. It's no biggie. 25 bucks is pretty cheap for a season pass and having the "full roster" is always nice. I never got to play DOOM growing up (Obsessively Christian household) and Ninja Gaiden has always just been "That One Bull**** Hard Ninja Game" to me. I sure they'd make a lot of other people happy though so it's whatever.
I played Doom...
But in a way that made me dislike the series.

Let:s just say that some people did dirty with me over the series, and it got to uncool points.

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
I have a problem with Banjo being in. Just one.

If he's in that means that leak with Erdrick, Hayabusa, Doom Slayer, and Steve is absolutely busted...

Or probably, anyways.

To be honest... I'm fine with that. 4 Year old me turned on Smash 64 for the first time and said, "Where's Banjo?" and if it means that my dream leak is dead for them to be in, then so be it. I still think Doom Slayer and Hayabusa have a chance, don't get me wrong. I feel like they're some of the biggest third parties not represented in Smash. Bethesda and Koei-Tecmo have been supporting Nintendo to death so I can definitely see them being in talks with Nintendo for this. We'll see. This bodes well for Banjo and that's what really matters right now.

And, hey Strider_Bond00J Strider_Bond00J . It's good to see you around, old friend.
TBF even if the leak is fake I still think that Hayabusa has a good chance of being DLC since he's pretty iconic of a character

With how much Microsoft will be giving to Nintendo, like the Halo MCC and Rare Replay ports for Switch (assuming those rumors pan out), it makes me wonder if it'll go the other way around at some point and we'll see Nintendo IPs on Xbox at some point.
I don't see any big Nintendo IP's but maybe something like Bayonetta (most likely 2)

Last edited:

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
What’s the Smash Bubble?
The biases related to the community of internet users who participate in Smash speculation. Its a real thing, every internet community creates its biases, especially against newcomers.
Golden Sun and Dragon Quest have similar peak sales in the west, but calling one out for not being popular in the west is more acceptable in smash circles than doing it to the other.

Now, does that apply to Banjo? To an extent, but I do not think that changes the result. If Microsoft is interested in partnering with Nintendo the natural path is what once was a Nintendo mascot, the DLC in the past hasn't had trouble focusing on veterans before because the people who buy DLC aren't exactly the most casual and kids but instead the older 20 something audience, by the logic some use against BK it also wouldn't make sense to bring back Roy and Lucas as DLC for 4. Finally, the preference for Banjo over Steve is often grounded in the fact one was second party born on Nintendo and the other wasn't, this is a bias in a sense, but it's a bias derived from Smash's proposal, the same way many people would rather see rigatoni added to the menu of an Italian restaurant before say, more popular dishes such as tacos and sushi.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ryu Hayabusa would be cool to have alongside characters like Banjo, Crash or Eight/Erdrick, ngl.

In fact, he would be the second character in Ultimate who has canonically met the AVGN after R.O.B.

That bit may feel weird, but I am actually interested on his addition in a big extent because of that.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
And that’s why I’ve avoided buying it without any prior knowledge. Banjo & Kazooie will be the make or break point to decide whether or not I buy the pass. I’ll probably buy it in the end even if they’re not in like I did with Smash 4 and their DLC just to have everything available, but it’ll be very bittersweet.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!

Definitely looking forward to some more potential Microsoft and Nintendo cross-overs at E3. And agreed, I bet we'll be getting our next character announcement in April.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
After the grinch it's best to treat any rumours/leaks with a heaping bowl of salt.

However I want to renew my observation that there's a big portion of the Smash community who latch on to what's perceived as likely through those leaks/rumours.

Top Bottom