• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
A lot of folks think any leak with Banjo is by default a fake leak. That’s how the general community see Banjo outside of his loyal Banjo-Roos

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Well if the leak turns out to be true then Steve was always a threat. We just never realised it.
And if the leak about Steve that has no real source other than maybe Verge (who even then doesn't name his own sources) and goes against everything Ultimate's been doing with its newcomers ends up being wrong, then people will have been freaking out over nothing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And if the leak about Steve that has no real source other than maybe Verge (who even then doesn't name his own sources) and goes against everything Ultimate's been doing with its newcomers ends up being wrong, then people will have been freaking out over nothing.
More to the point, they'd feel like this:

tenor.gif

It's just unfortunate that many people in the fanbase are swayed so easily.

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
Sonic got in from fan demand, not because he was Sega's Mascot.
That, and Sonic was basically a Gamecube Mascot. porting basically his entire 10 year old library of games to the Gamecube, and having three original games made for it.
Other than Snake (who was added for Sakurai’s good buddy) Sonic is the only 3rd Party in Brawl. When he was alone I think a huge part of why he was awesome was because 5, 10 years earlier his inclusion would’ve been unthinkable. How things have changed.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Other than Snake (who was added for Sakurai’s good buddy) Sonic is the only 3rd Party in Brawl. When he was alone I think a huge part of why he was awesome was because 5, 10 years earlier his inclusion would’ve been unthinkable. How things have changed.
It helps that Melee had that April Fools with him and Tails before that point.

It does make one wonder, what is the boundary for Third parties? Only globally-popular franchises may be an arbitrary limit, but Western TPs and franchises that have been dead for years are the next barriers to break (which B-K fits perfectly). After that, the only remaining obstacles would be including indies, and characters that belong to companies that are practically on life support (e.g. Sunsoft's Jason, Interplay's Earthworm Jim). The next announcements may or may not fundamentally change the face of what can be possible for Smash.

Last edited:

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
I think Steve doesn't hurt Banjo's chances. Both should get in. The only obstacles in the way are Nintendo and Rare. If all they need on Rare's side is Gregg's permission, then I think he will be all for it, but maybe this Rare is open to the idea of external developers using their ips. But I haven't been hearing of any excitement at Rare related to Banjo. Normally they tease when they are working on something or they might just be media shy. Nintendo is yet to include a 3rd party rep as a playable character. Why wasn't Rayman made playable? Maybe Nintendo still see Ubisoft as rivals and the same could apply to other Western developers. Nintendo has a history of mistreatment with Western developers.

If Microsoft do get representation in Smash I would like to see Banjo Kazooie and Masterchief or Steve playable, some Spartan armour as a Mii costume, Clippy the paperclip and BSOD assist trophy and some sort of Haloid event.
I'd imagine that Microsoft would be very generous with their back catelog of ips.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think Steve doesn't hurt Banjo's chances. Both should get in. The only obstacles in the way are Nintendo and Rare. If all they need on Rare's side is Gregg's permission, then I think he will be all for it, but maybe this Rare is open to the idea of external developers using their ips. But I haven't been hearing of any excitement at Rare related to Banjo. Normally they tease when they are working on something or they might just be media shy. Nintendo is yet to include a 3rd party rep as a playable character. Why wasn't Rayman made playable? Maybe Nintendo still see Ubisoft as rivals and the same could apply to other Western developers. Nintendo has a history of mistreatment with Western developers.

If Microsoft do get representation in Smash I would like to see Banjo Kazooie and Masterchief or Steve playable, some Spartan armour as a Mii costume, Clippy the paperclip and BSOD assist trophy and some sort of Haloid event.
I'd imagine that Microsoft would be very generous with their back catelog of ips.
Actually, Ninty and Ubi have been warm to each other recently. The devs for Starlink even got graced by the visit of some big-name Nintendo people like Reggie (in fact, adding Star Fox was his idea).

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ink_battle_for_atlas_was_nintendos_suggestion

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
Actually, Ninty and Ubi have been warm to each other recently. The devs for Starlink even got graced by the visit of some big-name Nintendo people like Reggie (in fact, adding Star Fox was his idea).

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ink_battle_for_atlas_was_nintendos_suggestion
Yes on the surface, but Shiggy said that they are still rivals in the Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle E3 conference. Remember that Argonaut Software Ltd helped develop Star Fox for Nintendo and got shafted royally. It's so bad that until this day Jez San is kind of salty about Nintendo that Ninja Theory, a spiritual successor to Argonaut, hasn't developed any of its own original games for a Nintendo and never will seeing as they sold themselves to Microsoft, probably cause they couldn't trust Sony for similar reasons.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
See, everyone seems to be saying this, but yet I don't recall anyone even worrying about him at all until some unknown "leaker" took what Verge had been saying about possible Minecraft and turned it into "Steve is playable"
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, by all means. I've only just joined up since a little after the August Direct so maybe it's possible I missed something but I'm nearly 100 percent certain he's only become a "threat" recently.
Well, the fact Verge is a credible leaker and he is, in a sense, giving some credibility to this leaker should cause us to be cautious. I know my tune has changed from Steve virtually impossible to unlikely, but possible. However, I do think people are going overboard with how much they trust this leak. We all know there's leaker bait, and while Verge has been consistent about verifying with multiple people to avoid that, I don't know what this leaker's process is. So, I think Steve could be used as leaker bait to track down sources of leaks, to perhaps hide Banjo being in the game. I just don't know at this point if that's reasonable, or wishful thinking. I'm still pretty sure Sakurai wouldn't make such a short-sighted slight against fans.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Well, the fact Verge is a credible leaker and he is, in a sense, giving some credibility to this leaker should cause us to be cautious. I know my tune has changed from Steve virtually impossible to unlikely, but possible. However, I do think people are going overboard with how much they trust this leak. We all know there's leaker bait, and while Verge has been consistent about verifying with multiple people to avoid that, I don't know what this leaker's process is. So, I think Steve could be used as leaker bait to track down sources of leaks, to perhaps hide Banjo being in the game. I just don't know at this point if that's reasonable, or wishful thinking. I'm still pretty sure Sakurai wouldn't make such a short-sighted slight against fans.
I don't think Steve is in. In Vergeben's original leak with Ridley and Simon it only said Minecraft had an assist and stage. It probably would've said Steve was in and then MH showed us that 3rd parties can have a stage and assist without a character. I don't think MH and Minecraft are getting characters because their main characters are just avatars and their main focus is on the monsters for MH and the world for Minecraft.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't think Steve is in. In Vergeben's original leak with Ridley and Simon it only said Minecraft had an assist and stage. It probably would've said Steve was in and then MH showed us that 3rd parties can have a stage and assist without a character. I don't think MH and Minecraft are getting characters because their main characters are just avatars and their main focus is on the monsters for MH and the world for Minecraft.
Vergeben said he wasn't sure, just probably an AT or stage.

now I feel like I want Steve but it sucks because if B-K isn't first, Grunty is less likely to talk on their stage and it'd be sorta weird as DLC :(

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
A lot of folks think any leak with Banjo is by default a fake leak. That’s how the general community see Banjo outside of his loyal Banjo-Roos
Before E3, a lot of people were saying any leak with Ridley in it was fake. There was this one guy on Youtube that made a video about Vergeben's E3 leak before it hit and how he was saying Ridley will never be a playable character. Later, he made another video about it and was saying how he was wrong.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Playing devil's advocate here, but if I'm not mistaken Corrin, Robin, and Villager are avatars, and technically so is the Pokemon Trainer. And you can't forget about the Miis.

CantGetRidOfTheRidley

Smash Apprentice
Playing devil's advocate here, but if I'm not mistaken Corrin, Robin, and Villager are avatars, and technically so is the Pokemon Trainer. And you can't forget about the Miis.
Robin, Corrin, and Pokemon Trainer (Why isn't he called Red/Leaf anyways? That's odd, especially with Robin being Robin) do sort of have canon personalities, and personalities in their games that you do control or influence, but they're still "there". They still have character and personality to them. Steve on the other hand is literally a blank slate that most people will just replace with their own skin. To be even more harsh I'm almost certain Steve was just a placeholder for a nicer character model/texture, but I don't remember exactly. The Minecraft early days of alpha and what not were long ago and there were tons of promises of what Minecraft was going to be that never came to be.

For villager, you for me there though. Personally I think Sakurai should've made Villager Isabelle or Tom Nook from the start, I've never really been a fan of Smash having more self-insert avatarish characters over actual characters. But Miis I don't think are comparable here since they're mainly the "create a fighter" mechanic, as opposed to being characters in their own right if that makes sense.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Robin, Corrin, and Pokemon Trainer (Why isn't he called Red/Leaf anyways? That's odd, especially with Robin being Robin) do sort of have canon personalities, and personalities in their games that you do control or influence, but they're still "there". They still have character and personality to them. Steve on the other hand is literally a blank slate that most people will just replace with their own skin. To be even more harsh I'm almost certain Steve was just a placeholder for a nicer character model/texture, but I don't remember exactly. The Minecraft early days of alpha and what not were long ago and there were tons of promises of what Minecraft was going to be that never came to be.

For villager, you for me there though. Personally I think Sakurai should've made Villager Isabelle or Tom Nook from the start, I've never really been a fan of Smash having more self-insert avatarish characters over actual characters. But Miis I don't think are comparable here since they're mainly the "create a fighter" mechanic, as opposed to being characters in their own right if that makes sense.
I see what you mean. I'm just trying to sharpen the arguments against Steve being in over Banjo. Him being in at all is another bag of worms but the people who believe that Sakurai would sit down with Microsoft and be like "Hey ummm can I use Steve? Just Steve. I jumped over this 17 year-old hurdle only for him. Nobody else." are greatly insulting Sakurai lol.

Talazar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Talazar_Dashie
3DS FC
1461-6194-5821
I just can't see how Steve can be a functional character. Just seeing how he walks, attacks and jump is unappealing with how his legs and arms act like the joints are locked into place at all times and jump has little to no animation. I can't see Steve doing things like aerial and smash attacks without it looking really awkward. Everything about Steve's actions just seem lifeless and I don't think it would transfer well as a playable smash character. You could change this for sure but then is it really Minecraft anymore?

I also hear people counter this point with "But Game and Watch is stiff too". Game and Watch is able to transform to many different things that work as his attacks and even if the animation is limited it's still enough to express a sense of force and personality to it.

The only things Steve could have going for him is maybe is special attacks but that's about it IMO.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I just can't see how Steve can be a functional character. Just seeing how he walks, attacks and jump is unappealing with how his legs and arms act like the joints are locked into place at all times and jump has little to no animation. I can't see Steve doing things like aerial and smash attacks without it looking really awkward. Everything about Steve's actions just seem lifeless and I don't think it would transfer well as a playable smash character. You could change this for sure but then is it really Minecraft anymore?
inb4 he's in that awful telltale games/youtube animation style with the bendy limbs.
Joking aside, I could actually imagine that happening if he does become a fighter, sad as it might be.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
I don't think it's even that Steve wouldn't have a moveset. It wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing, but Steve would get a moveset. Sakurai worked his magic with Ivysaur so I don't doubt he'd do the same with Steve. It would just look really awkward.

The issue is whether Banjo & Kazooie's moveset would be more interesting or not, and I don't have one single doubt that it would be. Sakurai would not be able to run out of origin material when making B-K's moves.

My only fear is if they make it too accurate and have it so that Banjo only has one attack not involving Kazooie. My memory is a bit foggy, but if I'm not mistaken this attack is just Banjo swinging his arms wildly lol.

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
Well the Steve leak is debunked because the wannabe leaker didn't leak anything at all after he said he was going to leak the whole roster on Friday and then Saturday morning.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Was hoping it'd be Mario Party 3 instead of 2, and this is coming from someone who thinks 2 is the best in the series. MP2 had its heyday on VC and 3 is largely inaccessible to new players because, while a quality game, it came out near the end of the N64's lifespan and not very many people bought it. If it was on the mini, that'd be everyone's chance to play it, kinda like what happened with Star Fox 2 except MP3 actually made it to production.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
It might be a false alarm guys. Looks like this could just be the games on the Wii U VC.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Was hoping it'd be Mario Party 3 instead of 2, and this is coming from someone who thinks 2 is the best in the series. MP2 had its heyday on VC and 3 is largely inaccessible to new players because, while a quality game, it came out near the end of the N64's lifespan and not very many people bought it. If it was on the mini, that'd be everyone's chance to play it, kinda like what happened with Star Fox 2 except MP3 actually made it to production.
Oh, I forgot to put Mario Party 3 on that list of my wants for the N64 classic. Mario Party 3 is my all time favorite Mario Party game next to Mario Party 7. :)

Last edited:

CantGetRidOfTheRidley

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, rest easy. This is just for the Wii U N64 Virtual Console. All the games listed were ones published by Nintendo (I didn't realize Nintendo published Bomberman 64, neat). The two games missing from the list are ones Nintendo didn't publish. Also, 19 is an odd number to have for the Mini console if it was the case. Take a breather. There might be stuff to fear in the future, but this ain't one of them.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, these manuals have been on the website for two years. It probably means nothing. All of these games are on the Wii U eShop.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
I don't mean to go too deeply off-topic but could someone explain the appeal of Pokemon Snap to me?

(I may or may not be speaking as a disgruntled player who couldn't get past the first level as a child)

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I don't mean to go too deeply off-topic but could someone explain the appeal of Pokemon Snap to me?

(I may or may not be speaking as a disgruntled player who couldn't get past the first level as a child)
It was the first 3D Pokemon game and though it wasn't your traditional Pokemon game like an RPG or with a Battle system, It was just a nice relaxing game to take photos of Pokemon interacting with each other in their natural habitat, Didn't get to play it as much growing up as I played Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2 a lot more, But still a solid game.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
ARE YOU F$U%ING S$(%ING ME!?!?! MARIO PARTY 2! AGAIN !!!!! that alone is a reason not to buy it ! where is 1 or 3 !

& NO RARE TITLES FOR N64 CLASSIC MINI !?!?!? DK64 is there SOOOOOO they had to GET RARE & M$ permission for JETPACK AGAIN ! & didn't ask for banjo!!?!?!? OR DKR !?!?!?

Top Bottom