• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

JonSmash

Smash Ace
yeah banjo base & steve as DLC would make more sense all the kids who don't already have the game will get it & pay for steve as DLC & pay 20$ for switch online to play with friends, & kids know how to use the internet steve DLC will be advertised like crazy & all the focus would be on steve at that point where right now theres a lot of focus on a LOT of characters, it would make SO much more sense $ wise & marketing wise IMO

& banjo being in the base game would be better for all the hardcore/core nintendo,rare & smash fans & would make headlines ! seams more like a character sakurai would pick high ballot results, long time wanted character, could of already been in melee. otherwise if steve base banjo DLC it will just make everyone riot & wouldn't look good unless banjo is base as well

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
But how can the phrases 'EVERYONE IS HERE' and 'Super Smash Bros. ULTIMATE' be relevant if Banjo & Kazooie aren't in the game, base or DLC? I ask you! It just can't be true if they aren't in! We demand justice for the bear and bird!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
But how can the phrases 'EVERYONE IS HERE' and 'Super Smash Bros. ULTIMATE' be relevant if Banjo & Kazooie aren't in the game, base or DLC? I ask you! It just can't be true if they aren't in! We demand justice for the bear and bird!
The way I see it Super Smash Bros Ultimate is like a party to celebrate Nintendo's history and Invitations were given out to all the characters that played a major part in Nintendo's legacy, even small/minor franchises that don't get fighters still get some recognition with Assist trophies, Items, Music tracks and Stages, So in a way practically all of Nintendo's 1st/2nd Party franchises have some representation/recognition in some form.

Banjo-Kazooie's situation is unique and unheard of, Though now a 1st Party Xbox Character they should be an exception and still receive an invitation to Ultimate because legal issues aside they played a major role during the N64 era and therefore Nintendo's legacy, They were getting promotional commercials for their games and were even on the cover of Nintendo Power a couple of times, That's gotta say something when your the biggest new IP on the N64 and are standing along side industry icons such as Mario, Donkey Kong and Pikachu, If that doesn't cement you as an N64 icon or get you a spot in Super Smash Bros nothing will.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Exactly! EVERYONE IS NOT HERE until Banjo-Kazooie are in.

The way I see it Super Smash Bros Ultimate is like a party to celebrate Nintendo's history and Invitations were given out to all the characters that played a major part in Nintendo's legacy, even small/minor franchises that don't get fighters still get some recognition with Assist trophies, Items, Music tracks and Stages, So in a way practically all of Nintendo's 1st/2nd Party franchises have some representation/recognition in some form.

Banjo-Kazooie's situation is unique and unheard of, Though now a 1st Party Xbox Character they should be an exception and still receive an invitation to Ultimate because legal issues aside they played a major role during the N64 era and therefore Nintendo's legacy, They were getting promotional commercials for their games and were even on the cover of Nintendo Power a couple of times, That's gotta say something when your the biggest new IP on the N64 and are standing along side industry icons such as Mario, Donkey Kong and Pikachu, If that doesn't cement you as an N64 icon or get you a spot in Super Smash Bros nothing will.
Banjo-Kazooie deserves to be in the roster more than all the other 3rd party characters because of Rare basically almost carrying the whole legacy of the N64 by themselves.

Last edited:

puremrz

Smash Apprentice
I can picture a scenario where Microsoft would do a DLC pack where they ball chain Banjo-Kazooie with Minecraft content so they can charge more, For me it would be like ordering a whole pepperoni pizza with crap on half of it , But would still gladly pay full price for it and just eat the half that's still good.
Haha. At first I was against Steve too, but after I started thinking about just HOW he would work I actually got quite hyped for him. Plus, the insanity that could erupt from his appearance in Smash would be a sight to behold. Too bad Minecraft doesn't really bring in any good battle music, unless they use Calm 4. But Banjo should be in before all else of course.
If both were in I wouldn't be able to survive it though. The sheer hype combined with maniacal laughter would spell the end for me.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Steve will bring us Banjo, so I don’t have a problem with him, but after the Pokémon music clip this weak, I just don’t expect anything right now

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I’m far more confident in Banjo than I am in Skull Kid, so I think Banjo’ll take it

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Out of the prospective third-party characters out there, I think Banjo-Kazooie, Geno, and Rayman are the only third-party characters that would make the most sense for this game. If Crash, Spyro, Steve, and Master Chief get in eventually as DLC, I wouldn't be against it, of course, having any big game icons together in the same game is ideal, but Geno, Rayman, and especially Banjo-Kazooie need to be in before them, having important history with Nintendo.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more exciting it would be to have Mario (Nintendo), Solid Snake & Simon/Richter Belmont (Konami), Sonic the Hedgehog/Shadow the Hedgehog & Bayonetta (Sega), Mega Man & Ryu/Ken (Capcom), Pac-Man (Namco), Cloud Strife & Geno (Square-Enix), Rayman (Ubisoft), Banjo-Kazooie (Rare), Crash Bandicoot & Spyro the Dragon (Sony), and Steve & Master Chief (Microsoft) all in the same star-studded smash-fest would be nothing short of a hall-of-fame free for all masterpiece.

Actually, if you consider the echoes of Simon, Sonic, & Ryu (assuming Sonic & Ryu get echoes of Shadow and Ken) as the same character, you could have two different eight-player smash fests with the biggest video game icons! Mario and eighteen different third party characters (fifteen if you put the echoes together with their originals), allowing for some crazy smash-ups!

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Actually, wouldn't it make more sense financially if Steve came as DLC and Banjo in base game. I mean all the Minecraft kiddos fans would ask their parents to buy them that DLC right?
(jk). But seriously though financially speaking what is the best for Microsoft Steve DLC or base?
There are so many people who say Banjo & Kazooie make more sense as DLC because they would be money-makers--and these same people advocate Steve being on the base roster. That makes no sense. If being a money-maker matters more for DLC, it would make MORE sense for Steve to be DLC given he has a more popular and relevant series, whereas those in the base game should be those who wouldn't make sense for DLC but are nonetheless popular with the Smash fanbase. I disagree, I think that if there was a noticeable difference in royalties base game vs DLC, then all third party companies would want their characters to be DLC. However, they have to have one or the other--if DLC is for the money-makers, they can't say Steve makes more sense as base game and Banjo & Kazooie as DLC. Either it's reversed, or there's another variable to consider.

For me, it's obvious. Banjo & Kazooie have been wanted since Melee, have been the most popular third party characters on all the polls, and unlike most third party characters (but especially Steve), Banjo & Kazooie were once Nintendo characters. That's a much bigger deal than just "appeared on Nintendo before." And their only hurdle has been Microsoft would not put their characters in Smash--now that hurdle's seemingly over, it's Banjo & Kazooie's turn first.

Out of the prospective third-party characters out there, I think Banjo-Kazooie, Geno, and Rayman are the only third-party characters that would make the most sense for this game. If Crash, Spyro, Steve, and Master Chief get in eventually as DLC, I wouldn't be against it, of course, having any big game icons together in the same game is ideal, but Geno, Rayman, and especially Banjo-Kazooie need to be in before them, having important history with Nintendo.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more exciting it would be to have Mario (Nintendo), Solid Snake & Simon/Richter Belmont (Konami), Sonic the Hedgehog/Shadow the Hedgehog & Bayonetta (Sega), Mega Man & Ryu/Ken (Capcom), Pac-Man (Namco), Cloud Strife & Geno (Square-Enix), Rayman (Ubisoft), Banjo-Kazooie (Rare), Crash Bandicoot & Spyro the Dragon (Sony), and Steve & Master Chief (Microsoft) all in the same star-studded smash-fest would be nothing short of a hall-of-fame free for all masterpiece.

Actually, if you consider the echoes of Simon, Sonic, & Ryu (assuming Sonic & Ryu get echoes of Shadow and Ken) as the same character, you could have two different eight-player smash fests with the biggest video game icons! Mario and eighteen different third party characters (fifteen if you put the echoes together with their originals), allowing for some crazy smash-ups!
My fantasy match up is Mario vs Sonic vs Banjo vs Crash--Nintendo's mascot vs Sega's mascot vs Microsoft IP vs Sony's former mascot. If I were to extend that to 8-players with whom I think is reasonable to be in the base game, I would go for Mario vs Sonic vs Mega-Man vs Pac-Man vs Snake vs Cloud vs Simon vs Banjo. And then I would replace Simon with Crash, if he got in as DLC. What a time to be alive where this is a legitimate possibility.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Banjo managed to defeat Isaac in the Reddit poll. Whew! I actually feared for him this round. Well done, fellow Banjo bros.
That's very impressive because if Banjo can beat Isaac in a poll, he can beat anybody.
Meanwhile in the Isaac thread, everyone is surprised that Banjo didn't manage to completely and utterly clobber them.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
well i saw a lot of people say "banjo will beat issic so i'll vote for him" so that might be why he did as well as he did

Graf von Tirol

Smash Cadet
The Isaac crowd is worthy of my respect, and it was a good fight. And I will certainly pull for Banjo and Kazooie as they face off against Skull Kid!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
well i saw a lot of people say "banjo will beat issic so i'll vote for him" so that might be why he did as well as he did
That really kind of annoyed me and I kept seeing that on Reddit comments, I know it's just a fan poll and Banjo-Kazooie won the round so I shouldn't be making a big deal out of this, But I would hate to give pity votes to my competitor just because you like your chances, the gap could of probably been bigger and you can never really know the actual outcome of the poll sometimes, regardless of competition I will always support the one I'm pulling for in the first place.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I do support the final fan picks in Geno, Banjo, and Isaac, I hope the all get in
You can go pretty much to any part of the internet, Search polls/charts or go to Youtube, That's pretty much the current "Big 3" right now.

Last edited:

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
I do support the final fan picks in Geno, Banjo, and Isaac, I hope the all get in
Even though I don't really like Geno I still hope he gets in since so many people do like him. For me personally I put Banjo and Issac ahead of him

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
You can go pretty much to any part of the internet, Search polls/charts or go to Youtube, That's pretty much the current "Big 3" right now.
After Ridley, K. Rool, & Simon Belmont all made it in, I figured those would be the other big three newcomers everyone would want in. At least with Issac and Geno, I honestly had no idea SO MANY PEOPLE wanted Banjo-Kazooie in as much as I did. I figured when they weren't DLC in Smash 4, it was because people either had other characters they wanted in more or they just saw Banjo-Kazooie as a no-go-lost-cause-dead franchise that would never see the light of day again. And honestly, with all the characters we got last time in Smash 4 with Villager, Mega Man, Little Mac, Pac-Man, Robin, Lucina, Shulk, Duck Hunt, Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta being some of the really big newcomers mixed in with some strange choices like Wii Fit Trainer, Palutena, the Mii Fighters, Dark Pit and Corrin, it only seems fitting to have long-time requests and fan-favorites be the newcomers for this game. The Inklings, Isabelle, Ridley, King K. Rool, Simon Belmont, Chrom, and Dark Samus are all characters people have been wanting and with every single fighter returning, including the likes of the Ice Climbers, Pokemon Trainer, Snake, and Wolf, it seems like they really want to please everyone this time around. So I'm praying the last big newcomers for base game are Issac, Geno, and Banjo-Kazooie. Then we can get other newcomers people really want for DLC like Skull Kid, Rayman, Paper Mario, Spring Man/Ribbon Girl, etc.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
If the last characters revealed were Isaac Banjo and Geno I'd literally dance on the streets. I've been supporting the first 2 for years all the way back to Brawl when I first got into speculation. I love the series they are both from so much that it breaks my heart to not see them recognized as a part of Nintendo's latest and greatest. If there were 2 characters that would honestly make Smash Ultimate live up to that title for me it would be those 2. Geno would be a nice bonus and I like SMRPG so I wouldn't be upset.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
If the last characters revealed were Isaac Banjo and Geno I'd literally dance on the streets. I've been supporting the first 2 for years all the way back to Brawl when I first got into speculation. I love the series they are both from so much that it breaks my heart to not see them recognized as a part of Nintendo's latest and greatest. If there were 2 characters that would honestly make Smash Ultimate live up to that title for me it would be that 2. Geno would be a nice bonus and I like SMRPG so I wouldn't be upset.
I've never had a chance to play either SMRPG or Golden Sun, but seeing us all in the same boat and being the big three makes me happy and hopeful that Sakurai is putting them in. If they get in, this game will be absolutely perfect in my mind and I will never complain about another thing in video games ever again.

ShadowYoshi04

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-9785-8173
I've never had a chance to play either SMRPG or Golden Sun, but seeing us all in the same boat and being the big three makes me happy and hopeful that Sakurai is putting them in. If they get in, this game will be absolutely perfect in my mind and I will never complain about another thing in video games ever again.
That's a great way to think.

(But Bandana Dee exists too)

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I really hope Banjo gets in. I don't like using the term, but I believe he deserves a spot more than anyone.
I don't like using the term as well, but if any character "deserves" to be in, it would be Banjo & Kazooie. Almost everyone agrees had Rare not split from Nintendo, Banjo & Kazooie would have been locks for Smash. If we all agree now, as even Steve supporters admit, that legal barrier is gone--if they were locks for Smash outside of legal hurdles, there's no reason that should have changed now that those legal barriers are not there.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

*Activision instead of Sony

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand why some of you are so anti-Minecraft in here, when anything Minecraft related getting into Smash would only help Banjo-Kazooie get into Smash...

Not that you have to like it, but if you're a Banjo fan, I'd be rooting for Minecraft to Trojan horse them for us.
Glad to see someone else sees this situation like I do.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
*Activision instead of Sony
Though owned by Activision and are 3rd Party Characters , Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon will always be associated with the Sony Playstation and were mascots for the brand in the late 90's, They're in a similar situation like Banjo-Kazooie who are officially 1st Party Characters for Microsoft's Xbox brand ,But will forever be associated with Nintendo and the N64.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Though owned by Activision and are 3rd Party Characters , Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon will always be associated with the Sony Playstation and were mascots for the brand in the late 90's, They're in a similar situation like Banjo-Kazooie who are officially 1st Party Characters for Microsoft's Xbox brand ,But will forever be associated with Nintendo and the N64.
I gotta point out that Sony never owned Crash or Spyro whatsoever. While Nintendo did at one point own Banjo-Kazooie, Sony never at any point owned the rodent or the dragon. Sure, they own Naughty Dog and Insomniac likes working with Sony the most (despite being independent), but who owns their creations is sometimes a different matter entirely.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I gotta point out that Sony never owned Crash or Spyro whatsoever. While Nintendo did at one point own Banjo-Kazooie, Sony never at any point owned the rodent or the dragon. Sure, they own Naughty Dog and Insomniac likes working with Sony the most (despite being independent), but who owns their creations is sometimes a different matter entirely.
Thank you for pointing that out, But I'm aware of it that's why I said similar situation to Banjo-Kazooie , Both Crash and Spyro were part of a 3 way deal with Sony, Universal and Naughty Dog/ Insomniac Games and if I'm not mistaken Universal always had the rights to both franchises and retained them Entering the PS2 era while Naughty Dog got bought out by Sony in 2001 and while Insomniac stayed independent both studios moved on to new projects and Universal interactive went through mergers and acquisitions over the years where eventually they and the rights to Crash and Spyro ended up with Activision.

Last edited:

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
Congrats on the poll win Banjobros, it was close but I guess Isaac was outmatched by the bear and bird.
Thank you for taking time out of your day to come over and show good sportsmanship.

Banjo-Kazooie may be my dream addition, but that doesn't mean I have no love for Isaac. I thoroughly enjoyed the original Golden Sun and want it's star to shine too.

If anyone can make it happen, it's Sakurai.
Never give up hope :)

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Thank you for pointing that out, But I'm aware of it that's why I said similar situation to Banjo-Kazooie , Both Crash and Spyro were part of a 3 way deal with Sony, Universal and Naughty Dog/ Insomniac Games and if I'm not mistaken Universal always had the rights to both franchises and retained them Entering the PS2 era while Naughty Dog got bought out by Sony in 2001 and while Insomniac stayed independent both studios moved on to new projects and Universal interactive went through mergers and acquisitions over the years where eventually they and the rights to Crash and Spyro ended up with Activision.
Nice! Always cool to see a fellow fan who's well-versed on this!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Nice! Always cool to see a fellow fan who's well-versed on this!
Thanks, While I'm a mainly a Nintendo gamer and my favorite franchises are Pokemon, Mario and Donkey Kong that I grew up playing on the N64 , I also had some buddies with PS1's growing up and the 2 most common games everyone played were Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon, Not to mention 2D and 3D Platformers are my favorite genre with colorful, fun and wacky characters so can you see why Crash and Spyro were right up my ally. Plus I try to learn some history and background of franchises I like and what studios they were developed from such as Rareware and of course Banjo-Kazooie.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I will like if Steve was in he would've been revealed by now as it would help market the game to a lot of younger kids. I'm pretty sure we're getting Banjo and Kazooie along with the Minecraft stage and assist trophy.

Top Bottom