• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Never cared much for Krystal but there's been a steady amount of support for her for a long time so I wouldn't be upset if she got promoted as well.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
While Krystal is an Assist Trophy, she can bring something to the table with her fighting of the magic staff with elemental properties (other then just ice for AT), ability of her psychic powers and her experience with the star fox team
Plus, her Final Smash could summon the dinosuars of Sauria, lead by Tricky!

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Uh...guys I just a notification while Playing Ultimate that the servers were about to undergo maintenance. You don't think...that Terry is...
Maybe I'm just mis-remembering things, but haven't there been cases in the past where the Smash servers were undergoing maintenance and nothing else came from them?

Edit: Also, there's apparently a Smash Invitational Tournament in a week or so, so they could also be preparing for that.

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Maybe I'm just mis-remembering things, but haven't there been cases in the past where the Smash servers were undergoing maintenance and nothing else came from them?

Edit: Also, there's apparently a Smash Invitational Tournament in a week or so, so they could also be preparing for that.
Oh. That could be why. The tournament.

GameXplain just uploaded this! https://youtu.be/awXwa_ojS5I I think Terry is arriving in two days!

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Oh. That could be why. The tournament.

GameXplain just uploaded this! https://youtu.be/awXwa_ojS5I I think Terry is arriving in two days!
Well, it definitely seems odd that the trademark is there, and this event does start on the first of November, so it may actually be possible, though it's also possible that could've just been a goof-up on Nintendo's part.

Just have to wait, see, and keep our fingers crossed!

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Well, it definitely seems odd that the trademark is there, and this event does start on the first of November, so it may actually be possible, though it's also possible that could've just been a goof-up on Nintendo's part.

Just have to wait, see, and keep our fingers crossed!
Right! And perhaps show Fighter 5 in his presentation video!

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
If not then, then I'd say either a Direct in November (according to a rumor) or at the VGAs as sort of a bookend for the Fighter's Pass reveals.
Just hope it's Shantae. Ultimate's shown love for Indies lately. Shovel Knight's an Assist, Sans as a costume, only spot left for an Indie...is the roster itself.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Just hope it's Shantae. Ultimate's shown love for Indies lately. Shovel Knight's an Assist, Sans as a costume, only spot left for an Indie...is the roster itself.
Considering she not only already has a Spirit, but also a Spirit Battle dedicated to her, I'm not sure it'll be Shantae. I'm more hoping for someone like Sora!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
We need another big name platformer mascot to go alongside Banjo-Kazooie and close out the fighter pass with a bang and what better name available than Crash Bandicoot, It's as close as the Sony PlayStation mascot that is available and fair game.

I not only wanna see Crash rumble with company icons in Mario and Sonic, But other Platforming All-Stars in Donkey Kong and Banjo-Kazooie.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
We need another big name platformer mascot to go alongside Banjo-Kazooie and close out the fighter pass with a bang and what better name available than Crash Bandicoot, It's as close as the Sony PlayStation mascot that is available and fair game.

I not only wanna see Crash rumble with company icons in Mario and Sonic, But other Platforming All-Stars in Donkey Kong and Banjo-Kazooie.
If that happened, we'd have one game with Mario, Sonic, Banjo & Kazooie, Cloud, Joker and Crash. Just bizarre. I love it.

dlewis53

Smash Lord

Personally, if (and that's a massive IF) we were to get a Sony rep, while Crash wouldn't be a bad choice, I'd prefer Spyro myself.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Personally, if (and that's a massive IF) we were to get a Sony rep, while Crash wouldn't be a bad choice, I'd prefer Spyro myself.
While I am a fan of both as they were Sony's 1-2 punch platforming mascots for the original PlayStation back in the 90's, Hands down most would agree that if we could only choose between one Sony/Activision rep Crash Bandicoot would be main priority and is the bigger icon of the 2, Not to mention Crash debuted 1st in (1996) and his trilogy wrapped up in (1998) just before Spyro was about to make his debut that same year.

Crash and Spyro's relationship reminds me a lot of Banjo-Kazooie's and Conker's too, But I will say their "Star Power" gap is much closer compared to our Rareware mascots.

Which is a big reason why Banjo-Kazooie made it in Super Smash Bros Ultimate over Conker, No disrepect to Conker as I am a fan of him too, But he never stood a chance against Banjo-Kazooie because of overwhelming fan demand, star power and they are pretty much Rare's defacto mascot.

I can see the same scenario playing out for both Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoChalmers

Banned via Warnings
Happy Halloween!

Sharing some Mad Monster mansion remixes/covers:

MMM is my favourite remixed track in Smash, beautifully created and focused for Smash.

Halloween isn't as celebrated here in Australia (where it's the 31st of October), but the appetite for it grows slowly each year. More trick or treaters, celebrations, TV specials, etc

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Happy Halloween!

Sharing some Mad Monster mansion remixes/covers:

MMM is my favourite remixed track in Smash, beautifully created and focused for Smash.

Halloween isn't as celebrated here in Australia (where it's the 31st of October), but the appetite for it grows slowly each year. More trick or treaters, celebrations, TV specials, etc
Your signature. Where did you get it?

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Guys!

Terry's switched to Coming Soon!
Yeah, I noticed that too! Though to be fair, like John says, this doesn't automatically mean that Terry's coming tomorrow (especially since we haven't had any official announcement about it yet), and instead could just be an indicator that we're basically in the month where he'll be releasing.

SuperNintendoChalmers

Banned via Warnings
Your signature. Where did you get it?
The top line with the character icons can be made in the sig editor, accessed in your account options. Click your name to access the sub menu. The icons are listed under smilies.

The rest are just various quotes from different websites in regards to Banjo-Kazooie's chances, how they had no chance in making the roster and that they were not worthy of a spot.

All anonymus of course. But in general, the continued passive aggrressive reactions over spilt milk, being BK in Smash, is the cherry on top of the honeycomb cake.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Well, Terry wasn't released today. That's a bit of a bummer; it would've been hilarious.

Oh well. Maybe next week.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
This place has been pretty dead since Banjo & Kazooie's release so people probably won't see this but Persona X Banjo Kazooie gives me life!

861.jpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This place has been pretty dead since Banjo & Kazooie's release so people probably won't see this but Persona X Banjo Kazooie gives me life!
I did see it, Kicdon's work is pretty good.

Well, Terry wasn't released today. That's a bit of a bummer; it would've been hilarious.

Oh well. Maybe next week.
Sure enough, there's a showcase for him next morning.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I saw the Resetera thread--it is very tempting to connect the dots. To be responsible, I must say that, often times, those dots aren't connected.

...but to be irresponsible... some times they are. BANJO'S COMING BACK BABYYY.

But yeah, speculating on the baseless speculation, I really think Playtonic teaming up with Rare, doing most of the work, with feedback from Gregg and other Rare devs, is the match made in heaven. That pretty much combines everyone involved in the original Banjo-Kazooie games. Yooka-Laylee missed the great level designs Gregg is known for, and recent Rare games miss the charm Steve and the rest of the Playtonic crew are able to do. With their powers combined, they could make a really good Banjo-Kazooie game, potentially.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Banjo & Kazooie were robbed on the soundtrack.

Though, since Sakurai mentioned they send a list of songs to companies to get the OK, so I'm blaming Microsoft/Rare on that one.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Though very unlikely, But not impossible I doubt there was any traction on a potential Microsoft buyout for Playtonic Games, I mean the main reason a big core of Rareware's team started the company was so they could become an independent studio and have free control.

I want them to stay independent so in the future they can still be tasked by Microsoft/Rare to not only help revive Banjo-Kazooie whether it's a remaster, sequel or reboot, But me personally would also love to see them work with Nintendo and take over the Donkey Kong series seeing how Retro Studios will be handling Metroid for a while and judging from Playtonic's work with Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair that they can still make a great 2D platformer and make another instalment in the Donkey Kong Country series.

I would love for any of theses 2 scenarios to happen, even better would be both, But I feel like them working with Microsoft/Rare reviving Banjo-Kazooie is more likelier than Nintendo working with them with Donkey Kong.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Let us just be happy Banjo & Kazooie are in Smash. Sakurai loves Persona 5, Dragon Quest, and Fatal Fury/SNK. But with Banjo & Kazooie, he likely did it solely for us--rather than going with the most relevant Microsoft/Western character, he did it because the fans wanted them. While we don't know his history with the series, he's much less familiar with the B-K series, and yet he did everything he could and put in the work to be right by the fans, with all the little touches, the massive stage, and bringing Grant in to help with the music. It's still remarkable that it even happened, and I'm grateful to Sakurai.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Terry bringing 50 songs ! NICE

I feel that the smash dev team just sent a huge list to see what songs were ok & were going to pick a list off the ok list since they were going for a SNK sounding songs & were surprised when they said just use ALL of them

maybe with banjo they just picked a few songs to ask for & had an idea of what songs they wanted unlike being unsure with terry, maybe they could of got away with more banjo songs but just didn't ask ?

also no girl terry :(

I'll comment more on terry as a play him more latter

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Terry bringing 50 songs ! NICE

I feel that the smash dev team just sent a huge list to see what songs were ok & were going to pick a list off the ok list since they were going for a SNK sounding songs & were surprised when they said just use ALL of them

maybe with banjo they just picked a few songs to ask for & had an idea of what songs they wanted unlike being unsure with terry, maybe they could of got away with more banjo songs but just didn't ask ?

also no girl terry :(

I'll comment more on terry as a play him more latter
Yeah, that was a weird revelation. Since Banjo & Kazooie had more songs than Hero, and the most re-mixes of DLC characters up to that point, I figured that was all they could do with the budget. But now with a character with 50 songs, 17 of them being remixes, I'm wondering what happened with Banjo-Kazooie's song selection. Either what you said--they heavily curated the song selection and got them accepted--or they brought a list of more than 10 songs, and Microsoft picked 10 of them. Could be that Sakauri's team had a set budget for the music selection, gave them a list, and Microsoft decided how many songs were worth the money (in which case they're back to M$). It's not that there weren't other songs fit for Smash--Final Battle is one of their more iconic songs and the biggest missed opportunity, and Weldar in particular is an epic battle song. Even if some songs, like Bubblegloop Swamp, would feel weird playing in a Smash battle, pretty much all of the Tooie boss themes would have worked. The music of Banjo-Kazooie is very emblematic of the series, which is why I was looking close at what their song collection was.

What we got was great--it is awesome to hear these remixes, and unlike most series, I like all of the re-mixes. Does make me wonder what things could have been, as they're not going to go back and add more, and even if they come back in a sequel (not guaranteed), they may stick with that song selection as they may have decided against the others for various reasons. Which is why I think Sakurai and their team should have gotten as much as they can from the start, and I feel like they did, so I'm going to assume it was Microsoft.

It was an easy deal for them to give the greenlight to them being in the game, but that doesn't mean there weren't legal discussions and compromises made when these two big rival companies came together. Which is, like I said, a reason we should be thankful Banjo & Kazooie got in at all.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434

:) And I wanna see the jealousy in Sony's face when Nintendo gets Crash into Smash, which they failed to do for their Smash Bros. clone. Oh it will be so satisfying seeing Sony jealous.

BZocky

Smash Ace
It’s already the 5-month anniversary of Banjo & Kazooie’s reveal. I’m still ecstatic beyond words on them and their universe joining Smash!
EDIT: typo’d

Last edited:
Top Bottom